Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

3 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Fair question. 

In part at least, it's a matter of opinion.

I consider your response to Legionista's question as an example of the opposite. But there's been a lot worse on here.

Which part don't you like.....? Which part is not balanced.....People getting what they are entitled to which is enacted by by law....? Or farmers and miners getting massive handouts.....?

4 minutes ago, sonar said:

Is business "entitled" to subsidies...?

Your question has been answered.

I'm curious though. What do you think is the reason governments provide subsidies to businesses? 

Just now, Edinburgh said:

I'm curious though. What do you think is the reason governments provide subsidies to businesses? 

Usually to get it back in donations..........:rofl: Certainly not to employ people.

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Which part don't you like.....? Which part is not balanced.....People getting what they are entitled to which is enacted by by law....? Or farmers and miners getting massive handouts.....?

You didn't answer the question and instead branched off into other matters.

4 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

To protect jobs!

Because everyone is entitled to a job!

Sorry couldn’t help myself. 

1 minute ago, sonar said:

Usually to get it back in donations..........:rofl: Certainly not to employ people.

My understanding of the main reason for subsidies as to assist/encourage businesses so they can provide more jobs.

I don't doubt there are exceptions, both good and bad.

6 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

You didn't answer the question and instead branched off into other matters.

I did answer it.....but just not to your satisfaction. or point of view. We come from very very different angles on this I agree. If people do not get a wage they can  live by how does business grow.? It doesn't and the current economic outlook totally backs me up. The RBA is on the verge of cutting interest rates because the economy and wage growth is stagnant. People are not earning enough to spend. 

Edited by sonar
3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I did answer it.....but just not to your satisfaction. or point of view. We come from very very different angles on this I agree. If people do not get a wage they can  live by how does business grow.? It doesn't and the current economic outlook totally backs me up. The RBA is son the verge of cutting interest rates because the economy and wage growth is stagnant.

I agree we disagree. Including what was the question.

From the editor of a local newspaper, commenting on the reactions to the election result:

- "Much has been said of the 'silent majority' and it's quite clear this was a factor. As someone said to me over the weekend, 'when people get shouted down for their views, they don't change them, they just keep quiet.  And then they vote'."

- "The left wants to blame everybody and everything but themselves  - it's the media's fault, it's Clive Palmer's fault, it's Pauline Hanson's fault, white men are to blame ... the list goes on.

"Truth is the Labor primary vote was so poor at this election that quite clearly,  the left's voice was disregarded and scoffed at by those who simply don't have time to whinge on Twitter or create petitions about mindless squabble."

Pretty much nails it for me, especially the first two paragraphs. 

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

My understanding of the main reason for subsidies as to assist/encourage businesses so they can provide more jobs.

I don't doubt there are exceptions, both good and bad.

That's the theory, in practice it doesn't always work out that way. For mine it was a question of priorities in the last election, mine would have been to spend on public education and health, the governments was tax cuts to "boost employment", if those cuts do go to boost employment, then that's a good thing, I doubt the majority of it will (and most evidence suggests it won't).

2 hours ago, Legionista said:

I think it’s up to the individual to get paid. The onus is on you or me to make sure you or me gets paid a decent living wage.

People should be able to work in a safe environment. However, there are some jobs that where danger can be minimised but never totally eliminated and for such jobs they should be compensated and they usually are. 

Underwater welders are a good example. What they get paid would make your toes curl, but hey, danger money is danger money. The job is dangerous by definition. No one is forcing them to do it. 

Must be great to live in your simple Libertarian world. 

People should be able to work in a safe environment and yes danger can only be minimised and never totally eliminated (underwater welder or not). "Nobody forces miners" to be miners, or manufacturing workers, or shop workers .... 

But it is fine they can all be personally responsible for their safety, and then go to their self funded hospital, via self funded road when if they do get injured.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

From the editor of a local newspaper, commenting on the reactions to the election result:

- "Much has been said of the 'silent majority' and it's quite clear this was a factor. As someone said to me over the weekend, 'when people get shouted down for their views, they don't change them, they just keep quiet.  And then they vote'."

- "The left wants to blame everybody and everything but themselves  - it's the media's fault, it's Clive Palmer's fault, it's Pauline Hanson's fault, white men are to blame ... the list goes on.

"Truth is the Labor primary vote was so poor at this election that quite clearly,  the left's voice was disregarded and scoffed at by those who simply don't have time to whinge on Twitter or create petitions about mindless squabble."

Pretty much nails it for me, especially the first two paragraphs. 

for a silent majority they don't half make a lot of noise. 

Must be hard for them to get their voice heard, what with all that time spent editing a newspaper

Someone scoffed at me on twitter so I voted to give billionaires tax breaks and to start a push to increase the GST at my expense to own the left.

As if anyone could believe the boomers who rocked up in their hundreds to "DON'T TAKE MY FRANKING CREDITS OR NEGATIVE GEARING" whinge fests are the "silent" anything. Boomers are the most loudest & collectively selfish generation in history.

48 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

for a silent majority they don't half make a lot of noise. 

Must be hard for them to get their voice heard, what with all that time spent editing a newspaper

I think you just proved his point.

8 hours ago, Legionista said:

Do you think governments raising minimum wages and various crippling industrial relations measures such as enforcing penalty rates makes the the moves you are describing more or less attractive?

It neither makes its more or less attractive. Most employers accept we live in a country where minimum standards apply and that they need to abide by these standards. There is no evidence that a rise in the minimum wage really causes any job losses and this is true if penalty rates too. 

Just like there is no evidence that tax cits to corporations increase job creation. 

6 hours ago, Legionista said:

I think it’s up to the individual to get paid. The onus is on you or me to make sure you or me gets paid a decent living wage.

People should be able to work in a safe environment. However, there are some jobs that where danger can be minimised but never totally eliminated and for such jobs they should be compensated and they usually are. 

Underwater welders are a good example. What they get paid would make your toes curl, but hey, danger money is danger money. The job is dangerous by definition. No one is forcing them to do it. 

This one is side splitting. The reality is that real wage growth has occurred through collective action in most industries. Where people are left to fend for themselves, their employers maintain the power and hence the money forcing a system like in the US where many people need two jobs to earn a decent wage. 

Its idealistic and ignorant of power structures to suggest otherwise. Particularly in unskilled work settings and in a country like ours where there are more people in need of work than there are jobs. 

10 hours ago, Legionista said:

Do you think governments raising minimum wages and various crippling industrial relations measures such as enforcing penalty rates makes the the moves you are describing more or less attractive?

It’s largely irrelevant, automation of workforce is happening penalty rates or not. The answer is not to lower workers conditions

so would you mind expanding on those crippling industrial relations measures? 

Angus Taylor, fraudulently acting as a minister, gives contracts to old rowing mates. Doesn't give a toss about anyone but himself and his rich mates.

Angus Taylor calls for Labor to submit to Coalition on emissions target https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/28/angus-taylor-calls-for-bipartisanship-on-climate-policy?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic