Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

55 minutes ago, sonar said:

....and they (politicians ) wonder why they are held in such derision at times.....lol

Thing is..with a bit of a tweak he could have made good.

If he had said something along the lines of 'when the crisis is over and we have rebuilt these communities let us get behind them, vist / spend money in their communities, many of which need tourist income from holidaying Aussie families'

Would that have sounded so bad?

23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Thing is..with a bit of a tweak he could have made good.

If he had said something along the lines of 'when the crisis is over and we have rebuilt these communities let us get behind them, vist / spend money in their communities, many of which need tourist income from holidaying Aussie families'

Would that have sounded so bad?

I've nothing against what he said or the intent of helping each other bar that it reeks of utter hypocrisy. We had a country that had 100 blazes and homes/properties being destroyed and he effs off o/seas.

I could go on a rant about how the inaction on policy by his govt has led to this situation but tbh Morrison & co aren't worth the angst. 

Edited by sonar
3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I've nothing against what he said or the intent of helping each other bar that it reeks of utter hypocrisy. We had a country that had 100 blazes and homes/properties being destroyed and he effs off o/seas.

I could go on a rant about how the inaction on policy by his govt has led to this situation but tbh Morrison & co aren't worth the angst. 

Agreed on the hypocrisy. ScoMo has seriously lost the plot over this. International embarrassment.

Edited by Smoggy

SM has made a key mistake many make .

He knows that CC has over 70% acceptance by the population at large. However those who don't believe in CC are at best 20% of the population but they are a very powerful and very noisy 20%.

He is caught, he he hints even in a small way these fires have something to do with CC that 20% will tear him to shreds as they have done to Rudd, Gillard, Tirnbell and have tried to do to Mike Baird...

So he tries to play the card its not the right time to talk about it... Terrified that he show any weakness otherwise the 20% turn.

But this time it was / is way to big and the card would not be played and his record of the coal in parliament, the accounting fiddle, the vote to oppose international changes siding with the US, Brazil & Saudi Arabia against the world  would come back and haunt him.

Whats beyond sad is rather than lead he is so frighten of this noisy 20% he tries to please both sides and its not working...

14 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

SM has made a key mistake many make .

He knows that CC has over 70% acceptance by the population at large. However those who don't believe in CC are at best 20% of the population but they are a very powerful and very noisy 20%.

He is caught, he he hints even in a small way these fires have something to do with CC that 20% will tear him to shreds as they have done to Rudd, Gillard, Tirnbell and have tried to do to Mike Baird...

So he tries to play the card its not the right time to talk about it... Terrified that he show any weakness otherwise the 20% turn.

But this time it was / is way to big and the card would not be played and his record of the coal in parliament, the accounting fiddle, the vote to oppose international changes siding with the US, Brazil & Saudi Arabia against the world  would come back and haunt him.

Whats beyond sad is rather than lead he is so frighten of this noisy 20% he tries to please both sides and its not working...

Leading isn't appeasing the 20% or even the 70% that's following 

2 hours ago, Flytox said:

- Shorten wasn't well liked down here in Launceston during the rescue.

- In my view there shouldn't be a need for a green party.  Both sides of politics if they are doing their job should be looking after the environment as a matter of priority.

On Shorten, I'd have no idea on his popularity in Launceston on the time, from what I could see he immediately flew back from his business trip in Canada to help works (as that was his role in AWU) he also spent time and listened to the miners families. He didn't sod off overseas then come back for the photo op.

As for greens, believe it or not I'm not a big fan (their lack of pragmatism was what stuffed Rudd's attempt at putting a price on Carbon), and would far prefer that Labor (and for that matter the Libs) could lead on these issues. However in a democracy I'm happy for them to exist

1 hour ago, sonar said:

No Morrison and co aren't worth it, but  the country, the people, the wildlife and the ecosystems are worth speaking out for.

Just watching the 9News (:bad:) focusing on Bega and the dire economic consequences of the understandable desertion by tourists.

It's staggering how far reaching the economic consequences of these fires will be.

Meanwhile in the UK Aussie MP Craig Kelly went on national television and called Laura Tobin an 'ignorant pommy weather girl' for challenging him on climate. The issue Craig has here is that Laura was a former BBC weather presenter, which means that she is a fully qualified meteorologist first and initially worked for the UK Met Office, very well respected and very well qualified.

The guy couldn't handle being taken on and challenged by a women, what an oaf. 

The Stern Report in the UK and the Garnaut Review got a lot of cover at the time.

Here, one side of politics took in the implications...but the other side clearly dismissed it.

I guess as long as it's little and unimportant people and relatively small communities being impacted/brought to their knees, it doesnt matter to the Coalition and their puppet masters.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-08/economic-bushfires-billions-ross-garnaut-climate-change/11848388

18 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Meanwhile in the UK Aussie MP Craig Kelly went on national television and called Laura Tobin an 'ignorant pommy weather girl' for challenging him on climate. The issue Craig has here is that Laura was a former BBC weather presenter, which means that she is a fully qualified meteorologist first and initially worked for the UK Met Office, very well respected and very well qualified.

The guy couldn't handle being taken on and challenged by a women, what an oaf. 

Kelly is enough idiot for three villages. Yet the good burghers of the electorate of Hughes keep voting for this Neanderthal.

Are you a conservative ? Want to be the next Craig Kelly ? Thinking of enrolling at the LNP University ? 
Then they may have a course to suit you...........! 
Pharmacology is the study of farms;
Climatology is the study of hills;
Meteorology is the study of meteors;
Radiology is the study of Ray Hadley;
'Peer review' is the study of wharves;
Physiology is the study of beer froth...…

Spot on.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2020/01/07/bushfires-scott-morrison-garry-linnell/

PS I just got myself on an Extinction Rebellion mailing list....and will attend a rally tomorrow evening at the Town Hall.

If it's good enough for Boris Johnson's father....well....

PPS I won't take any superglue with me! :meep:

Has there been any real major issue with Gervais? He does the same shtick Pie does except he gets to do it at awards shows and not on youtube. Hardly anyone cares outside of the mainstream media who just want to generate shitty clickbait content for boomers to consume via facebook.

• Find a handful of people or headlines that dared to criticise one of his "politically incorrect" mates (funny that he's allow to criticise those but they can't do it to his mates).
  • Strawman said people and pretend that any mild criticism of his mates is equivalent to going around calling him a right wing sexist evil nazi who needs to be cancelled. This was his 5th? time hosting, and I remember the exact same routine of ooooh shocking politically incorrectness nearly 10 years ago, apparently the Golden Globes are really slow to #Cancel someone if they keep hiring him. Apparently inviting Gervais to host time and time again doesn't count as "diversity of opinion". Although I'm not exactly sure how an awards show is meant to offer "diversity of opinion" in the first place. Maybe they should invite the Westboro Baptist Church and the remnants of ISIS on stage to present a few awards.
  • Complain about a social media platform/movement (#MeToo and "Liberal Twitterati" in this one).
  • Find some right wing politician to **** on for 30 seconds to give the impression of balance/centrism.
  • Mug for the camera and maybe throw in a few swears.

It might be me, but maybe instead of 3 and a half minutes on Television Award Show Host Makes Jokes, maybe do the whole thing about Scott Morrison? Maybe it caught him by surprise, but I reckon he knows that his audience don't want to hear about right-wing politicians, they just want him shitting on "liberals" for 4 minutes.

8 hours ago, mack said:

Has there been any real major issue with Gervais? He does the same shtick Pie does except he gets to do it at awards shows and not on youtube. Hardly anyone cares outside of the mainstream media who just want to generate shitty clickbait content for boomers to consume via facebook.

• Find a handful of people or headlines that dared to criticise one of his "politically incorrect" mates (funny that he's allow to criticise those but they can't do it to his mates).
  • Strawman said people and pretend that any mild criticism of his mates is equivalent to going around calling him a right wing sexist evil nazi who needs to be cancelled. This was his 5th? time hosting, and I remember the exact same routine of ooooh shocking politically incorrectness nearly 10 years ago, apparently the Golden Globes are really slow to #Cancel someone if they keep hiring him. Apparently inviting Gervais to host time and time again doesn't count as "diversity of opinion". Although I'm not exactly sure how an awards show is meant to offer "diversity of opinion" in the first place. Maybe they should invite the Westboro Baptist Church and the remnants of ISIS on stage to present a few awards.
  • Complain about a social media platform/movement (#MeToo and "Liberal Twitterati" in this one).
  • Find some right wing politician to **** on for 30 seconds to give the impression of balance/centrism.
  • Mug for the camera and maybe throw in a few swears.

It might be me, but maybe instead of 3 and a half minutes on Television Award Show Host Makes Jokes, maybe do the whole thing about Scott Morrison? Maybe it caught him by surprise, but I reckon he knows that his audience don't want to hear about right-wing politicians, they just want him shitting on "liberals" for 4 minutes.

He is trying to wake up "liberals"....those on his own side.

They tend to go too far is his point.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/celebrity/j-k-rowling-stirs-transphobia-debate-again-with-new-tweet-20191220-p53lqx.html

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

He is trying to wake up "liberals"....those on his own side.

They tend to go too far is his point.

https://www.smh.com.au/culture/celebrity/j-k-rowling-stirs-transphobia-debate-again-with-new-tweet-20191220-p53lqx.html

Not this again,

liberals going too far aint the problem in the world, it’s the right wing nut jobs in power 

As for Gervais

The office was genius, extras had its moments the last series he did for Netflix was actually quite good, some of his other stuff is shockingly bad,  

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Not this again,

liberals going too far aint the problem in the world, it’s the right wing nut in power.

Who puts the RWNJs in power, Stringer (well who votes for them)?

And where are their increasing supporter numbers coming from?

23 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Not the guys upset about Somberos

You're right...not the guys upset about sombreros.

The guys (and I think it's young men more than women) who are upset about those who get upset about sombreros. :meep:

If you're in the City, or planning to be, either join in or steer clear.

Would like to see something much bigger happening, in non peak hour, but this will be disruptive this evening.

There's one on in Parra on Tues evening as well.

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-todays-bushfire-and-climate-justice-rally-011020#comments

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic