Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Just now, Carns said:

You could argue the same thing happened to Gillard, and Turnbull. They've all been shackled by their parties at times and forced to tow the party line. And it often comes across as disingenuous. When they (and other pollies who were not leaders) are allowed to speak their mind freely (which is rare), you can get "the real Julia." ;).

It happened with Shorten big time.

He was always pretty genial and genuine sounding on Q&A before he took over.

6 minutes ago, Carns said:

You could argue the same thing happened to Gillard, and Turnbull. They've all been shackled by their parties at times and forced to tow the party line (often for strategic reasons). And it often comes across as disingenuous. When they (and other pollies who were not leaders) are allowed to speak their mind freely (which is rare), you can get "the real Julia." ;).

I guess it actually must be a terrifying responsibility, to have the weight of your nation's future resting on your minutely scrutinised every word and action.

So stressful,  and it would be difficult to act naturally, no doubt.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

You could argue the same thing happened to Gillard, and Turnbull. They've all been shackled by their parties at times and forced to tow the party line (often for strategic reasons). And it often comes across as disingenuous. When they (and other pollies who were not leaders) are allowed to speak their mind freely (which is rare), you can get "the real Julia." ;).

I find it hysterically funny and a touch ironic that now Turnbull is not PM, he is telling the party that dumped him because of CC, that they need a CC policy.....FMD! :rofl:

Edited by sonar
5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Glad you put it up. I thought I had but Optus was s*** house yesterday.

Here's another

Bridget McKenzie won't rule out using grants to target marginal seats https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/16/bridget-mckenzie-wont-rule-out-using-grants-to-target-marginal-seats?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard 

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Here's another

Bridget McKenzie won't rule out using grants to target marginal seats https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/16/bridget-mckenzie-wont-rule-out-using-grants-to-target-marginal-seats?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard 

I have just watched this creature and she is a Liar. And not one mention of football.:xmad:

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Here's another

No wonder she describes it as "Highly Successful", they won the election so in that sense it was

My mrs' uncle has been staying with us, he watches breakfast telly (this has been interesting in terms of watching the fires stuff actually and where the focus is), anyway they did this love piece in Julie Bishop and how she was the other day, followed by an interview about all the amazing work she is doing at some uni or other. Now I know why, PR before she stuck her snout in.

These people lost their homes on New Years eve........this is response to Scott Morrison and the denial from conservatives for over the last decade or more...............

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6580719/i-lost-my-home-in-the-south-coast-bushfires-heres-what-id-say-to-the-pm/?cs=14246

People like me have repeatedly told you we don't have to sacrifice the economy if we leave coal in the ground. We have abundant renewable energy resources to drive industries which value-add to our raw materials like iron ore and bauxite before exporting them. But your mind is not open to exploring new economic options, and you and your colleagues are not courageous enough to take on the poisonous shock jocks and vested interests of our fractured media landscape.

Nevertheless, I have been petitioning, emailing and calling you and your colleagues for over a decade to tell you that to stabilise our climate we have to leave Australian coal underground and unburnt. When I have tried to say that by carefully and compassionately winding back the coal industry we can be a shining example to other countries, you have ridiculed me and proudly paraded a lump of coal in Parliament. 

You are deaf to the pleas of fire management experts, climate scientists, moderates, conservationists and ordinary folks. In a desperate attempt get you and your colleagues to grasp the seriousness of the situation the planet is facing, I even decided that non-violent civil disobedience was the only option left to me. I paddled onto Newcastle Harbour, the largest coal port in the world, with hundreds of kayakers in a symbolic closure of the port for one day. I sat down on the floor of Parliament House as part of the People's Parliament for action on climate change. Your party chose to trivialise the issue and to brand me as a criminal who needed to be handed increased penalties, including prison sentences.

And now, as long predicted, a massive bushfire is sweeping Australia. Like thousands of others, I stare at the smoking rubble that was once my family home. I am two parts shattered and three parts enraged. So don't tell me you understand me. You and your colleagues only understand your own limited narratives. Again, may your God grant you that elusive quality of humility that you may all hang your heads in shame. But may you also be granted the courage to finally act in accordance with the science for the sake of us all, including our unborn grandchildren.

May your home remain standing.

Edited by sonar

Might be crazy...but...Class Action against the Liberal and National Parties...for inaction, obstruction, derelection of their responsibilities, failure of duty of care to entire communities????

Related to dismissing/disregarding expert advice on preparedness for these fires (see 7.30 item above).

I wonder if something like that is remotely possible?

Your heart goes out to these people, doesnt it.... :(:(

Crocodile tears Malcolm......you voted to repeal the ETS........( which was working ).......... in 2014 alongside the person you knifed.....Abbott....you are just as complicit.......

https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/malcolm-turnbull-blames-coalition-climate-deniers-for-his-downfall-as-pm-c-651751

"But in Australia, as in the US, this issue has been hijacked by a toxic, climate-denying alliance of right-wing politics and media (much of it owned by Rupert Murdoch), as well as vested business interests, especially in the coal industry."

"But a right-wing minority, supported by their allies in the media, sabotaged the bill and then brought down my government."

"Since then, the government has had no coherent, integrated climate and energy policy," he said.

A pity you didn't grow a pair and stand up to your party.......effing hilarious to come out now and say it wasn't you......even though you were the PM.......:rofl:

Edited by sonar

Good that all this is being called out tho.

And, realistically, that toxic cohort of politicians and their media buddies has wielded ultimate power. 

They've won every battle,  really....until now....maybe.

It this isn't a turning point of some sort, I'm not sure what more it will take.

:(:(

PS Ray Hadley champing at the bit to get back to work, and set things straight for his listeners, apparently. :bad:

I wonder if they will ever get their claws off a proportion of the population,  and lose their influence?

36 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Good that all this is being called out tho.

And, realistically, that toxic cohort of politicians and their media buddies has wielded ultimate power. 

They've won every battle,  really....until now....maybe.

It this isn't a turning point of some sort, I'm not sure what more it will take.

:(:(

PS Ray Hadley champing at the bit to get back to work, and set things straight for his listeners, apparently. :bad:

I wonder if they will ever get their claws off a proportion of the population,  and lose their influence?

At my age, I'm supposed to be part of their main audience. But from the few seconds I've accidentally listened, I can't stand them.

I expect as their audience gets even older they'll start to die off. Maybe that'll work?!

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Might be crazy...but...Class Action against the Liberal and National Parties...for inaction, obstruction, derelection of their responsibilities, failure of duty of care to entire communities????

Related to dismissing/disregarding expert advice on preparedness for these fires (see 7.30 item above).

Not against the Uni students protesting against sombreros? 

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

Hilarious.

There was one big Class Action last May and Labor and your Watermelon Greens got their bums smacked.

Be another Class Action in a couple of years. Mr Anthony Albania the nowhere man might have figured out by then if he is a lefty , centre left,

centre right  or a pot plant.

Edited by theseeker
2 hours ago, wendybr said:

I see that David Attenborough gave the government a serve overnight. He's probably in Ray's sights now....Pommies telling us what to do....only a TV presenter so what would he know etc etc

3 hours ago, theseeker said:

Hilarious.

There was one big Class Action last May and Labor and your Watermelon Greens got their bums smacked.

Be another Class Action in a couple of years. Mr Anthony Albania the nowhere man might have figured out by then if he is a lefty , centre left,

If the fires haven't made many who voted in the govt regret their choice, I don't understand them.

PS I could vomit watching ScumMo hugging grieving mothers and pregnant widows at the funerals of their RFS  loved ones.

How many of them might NOT have died, how many homes and communities might NOT have been destroyed, how many creatures ( out of billions) and their  ecosystems might still be ALIVE if the Prime Minister of this country had taken heed of the expert warnings that this catastrophe was imminent.

How many??

He's an obscenity - smiling and throwing around money now....too late.

Oh....and how much of the anticipated $2.4 billion in lost tourism revenue might NOT  have been lost if he had acted when any decent leader should have?

How many businesses dependent on domestic and international tourist dollars might NOT have suffered?

How much less might people be paying for their groceries IF he had acted when he should have?

We can't get many of the planes here now for a variety of reasons....so still the fires burn, and the devastating toll continues to rise.

It's unforgivable...

4 hours ago, theseeker said:

Hilarious.

How many people traumatised by fighting the fires, by their losses or by participating in the devastating rescue efforts of animal victims of the fires might NOT have had to experience these horrors, and might not potentially develop post traumatic stress disorder,  if Morrison had acted when he should have.

Animal rescue teams finding koala survivors 'totally shut down' after fires on Kangaroo Island
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-17/koala-captured-on-camera-on-kangaroo-island/11877688

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

How many people who may develop health issues as a result of the blanketing of our cites by the worst pollution on the planet might NOT have had to contend with that if he acted when he should have?

What do you think he should have done to prevent these fires over the last 12 months? Genuine question. The indian ocean dipole was set such that the continent was going to dry out and that was foreseen. Short term preventative measures are different to long term climate policy and action. Just interested to hear your thoughts on what he should have done.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic