wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

1 hour ago, sonar said:

You're still blaming the left..........:rofl:

Q: Who implemented CC policy.....!

Q: Who repealed the CC policy !

I hope one day you come to understand simple English... 

Its not a question of who implemented CC... as guess what the first politician to implement CC was a right nay very very hard right conversation politician... it was the iron lady herself in Margret Thatcher way way back in the 80's... In England hard right conservatives are screaming CC ... 

Its a question of having a logical set of policies to win government... further being able to argue your case... doing research and have facts to support your arguments... facts by the way not just good feeling... the facts are huge and out there everywhere they are not hard to find.. 

You keep blaming everyone and saying its totally the rights fault and their is no fault on the left.... if so can you explain why Bill Shorten lost an un-loss-able argument about Electric Vehicles ...

Tell me why or how the Libs won the EV argument... this is simply a matter of total incompetence on his part ... yest the Libs lied... News may have backed them up... but 10, 9, 2 SBS, Fairfax  would have loved a reply similar to mine post above... that simple thing early on in the election would have put the Libs on the backfoot on CC whereas the Liba actually won and the pattern followed the entire election.

24 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Its not a question of who implemented CC... as guess what the first politician to implement CC was a right nay very very hard right conversation politician... it was the iron lady herself in Margret Thatcher way way back in the 80's... In England hard right conservatives are screaming CC ... 

You have some wierd logic mate. You say you want action on climate change......I call crap on that. 

It IS a question on who implements action because the cost of inaction are now bearing fruit.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/21/climate-change-could-make-insurance-too-expensive-for-ordinary-people-report

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-14/vegetable-prices-in-australia-set-to-rise-fire-drought-impact/11866038

So I doubt you will ever answer but in Aus politics......

The answer to number 2 will tell you who you need to target to change THEIR  minds.

Edited by sonar

Roll out the (pork) barrel

Coalition gave out $100m in pre-election grants favouring targeted seats, audit office says https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/15/coalition-gave-out-100m-election-grants-not-assessed-merit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Sonar

Calling what someone believes crap because they don't 100% agree with you is beyond dangerous... I want CC and you say thats crap because I say Shorten F...ed up the campaign ....then I say the left have made mistakes and you say crap as well....

Effectively you are saying nothing the left do is wrong... 

Anyone who disagrees with this does not believe in CC...

You still have not or cannot see what I am saying so I will ask you directly...

HOW DID BILL SHORTEN LOSS THE DEBATE ON EV's ... 

If you say you do not wanta answer this question or its not important... then understand thats why Shorten lost ...

As for implementing CC policy .... the NSW & Tassie Lib governments have argued against their federal counter parts ... it part it cost Mike Baird his job...

Its not only the ALP who have implemented CC polices ... NSW & Tassie as I said have liberal governments and they have ...

No idea how old you are and its not of overall importance... however I have noticed a tendency today not to debate ... but if I have 100, 000 things and I disagree with one of the 100, 000 I am totally wrong...

CC is beyond left and right sides of the political fence... for Australia its about getting a government in place who will implement CC policy ... who cares if its ALP or LIB... Given the Libs won't we need an ALP government ... so the ALP need to win the election.... they won't win if they F...k the campaign... as they just did...   

Shorten lost the election because he was unlikable and unelectable. Once the public had made their mind up (and there were continuous preferred leader polls showing this) the ALP were flogging a dead horse. Ironically, because of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd fiasco, it was made more difficult to dump a leader. And it cost them in the end. And of course the media etc. didn't help their cause. But Shorten was never popular. And populism wins.

16 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Calling what someone believes crap because they don't 100% agree with you is beyond dangerous... I want CC and you say thats crap because 

Mnidfielder, you still steadfastly refuse to answer two simple questions.........

In 2010 an Aus  govt implemented CC policy.....in 2013 an Aus govt repealed those policies.

Inaction has costs..........who are those who believe in inaction......

Why didn't the govt do anything. They are in power, they are the ones who legislate..........hand out the money......have the power.......Here are the folks to blame.......

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-rejected-major-air-tanker-expansion-20200103-p53onl.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/ex-fire-chiefs-say-government-asleep-at-the-wheel-when-it-comes-to-climate-crisis

https://www.thebigsmoke.com.au/2019/11/11/morrison-cut-funding-and-ignored-fire-chiefs-before-nsw-blaze/

https://slate.com/technology/2020/01/australia-was-warned-climate-change-bushfires.html

it ain't Shorten sunshine......so keep playing your silly little blame the left rhetoric bullshit......I won't reply directly to you.it's not worth the angst.

Edited by sonar

13 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Sonar

Calling what someone believes crap because they don't 100% agree with you is beyond dangerous... I want CC and you say thats crap because I say Shorten F...ed up the campaign ....then I say the left have made mistakes and you say crap as well....

Effectively you are saying nothing the left do is wrong... 

Anyone who disagrees with this does not believe in CC...

You still have not or cannot see what I am saying so I will ask you directly...

HOW DID BILL SHORTEN LOSS THE DEBATE ON EV's ... 

If you say you do not wanta answer this question or its not important... then understand thats why Shorten lost ...

As for implementing CC policy .... the NSW & Tassie Lib governments have argued against their federal counter parts ... it part it cost Mike Baird his job...

Its not only the ALP who have implemented CC polices ... NSW & Tassie as I said have liberal governments and they have ...

No idea how old you are and its not of overall importance... however I have noticed a tendency today not to debate ... but if I have 100, 000 things and I disagree with one of the 100, 000 I am totally wrong...

CC is beyond left and right sides of the political fence... for Australia its about getting a government in place who will implement CC policy ... who cares if its ALP or LIB... Given the Libs won't we need an ALP government ... so the ALP need to win the election.... they won't win if they F...k the campaign... as they just did...   

Could I just correct something re Left and Right....there is no left in Aust Politics. What you have is Right (ALP) and extreme right (LNP). There was a hint of Left in the Greens sometime ago but that has been well and truly diluted in recent times. 

2 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Could I just correct something re Left and Right....there is no left in Aust Politics. What you have is Right (ALP) and extreme right (LNP). There was a hint of Left in the Greens sometime ago but that has been well and truly diluted in recent times. 

I agree Ossie.....well to a degree......lol.....but I get angry when the blame for no CC action is blamed on people who are not the govt......ie Shorten.

58 minutes ago, sonar said:

Labor implemented it when they were in government and had a mandate to do so, just as the Liberals repealed it when they were in government and had a mandate to do so.

Everyone knows that you're not going to get action on climate change from a Liberal government yet they got voted in and did exactly what everyone knew they would do were they elected. Yes they lied about Labors plans and look where it got them, they're in government dictating policy. Labor played nice and look where it got them, in opposition watching the world literally burn. Both sides are trying to win and one did better than the other.

I can kind of see where Midfielder is coming from as I don't understand blaming the winners for winning rather than the losers for losing. Doesn't mean they're not responsible for what they're doing. The winners aren't going to change when they're winning so if you want change you need to the losers to do better.

Just now, Davo said:

Everyone knows that you're not going to get action on climate change from a Liberal government yet they got voted in and did exactly what everyone knew they would do were they elected. Yes they lied about Labors plans and look where it got them, they're in government dictating policy.

Wow.........no wonder the country is on fire. The govt in power is not responsible for anything.their inaction or policy causes....it's the oppostion fault. The govt gets a free ride because they lied and we all know they're liars.......wow.

We may need to change the old adage that you are responsible for your own actions.......unless you're your a conservative politician.

This is how I see it.......Here are the folks to blame.......

Why didn't the conservative govts from 2013 to the present day do anything.

They are in power, they are the ones who legislate..........hand out the money......have the power.......

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/the-coalitions-toxic-denial-of-climate-change-is-destroying-us,13477

https://reneweconomy.com.au/coalition-returns-to-climate-denial-roots-as-morrison-dodges-un-summit-63772/

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/government-rejected-major-air-tanker-expansion-20200103-p53onl.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/ex-fire-chiefs-say-government-asleep-at-the-wheel-when-it-comes-to-climate-crisis

https://www.thebigsmoke.com.au/2019/11/11/morrison-cut-funding-and-ignored-fire-chiefs-before-nsw-blaze/

https://slate.com/technology/2020/01/australia-was-warned-climate-change-bushfires.html

http://theconversation.com/how-climate-denial-gained-a-foothold-in-the-liberal-party-and-why-it-still-wont-go-away-56013

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-10-19/hewson-slams-coalition-on-climate-change-as-business-takes-lead/11617292

2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Wow.........no wonder the country is on fire. The govt in power is not responsible for anything.their inaction or policy causes....it's the oppostion fault. The govt gets a free ride because they lied and we all know they're liars.......wow.

19 minutes ago, Davo said:

Doesn't mean they're not responsible for what they're doing.

The Libs are in power and have been for what seems like forever, they can't keep blaming the previous Labor government. 

The haven't acted on Climate Change its on them. They have a bunch of hard right nut jobs who don't believe Climate Change is real, and they are beholden to the Coal Industry FFS this is the prime minister who brought a lump of coal into the parliament.

Yes I'm disappointed that Labor didn't provide a better opposition and therefore get into power, but the primary blame for Government inaction on climate change is the government.

The greens hold some blame for when they wouldn't co-operate with Labor, which they had arguably things might have turned out different, but that was years ago. 

We have a government that can not agree that climate change is real amongst itself, now as the country burns they are shifting to, ok its real but we aren't willing to treat the cause.

If they put up a credible climate policy and Labor vote it down, then you can blame Labor but for now its all on the Lib / Nationals.

As for Shorten's failure to get in, they didn't deliver a clear enough message, however it is hard in Australia for any Left (or Centre Left) party to get in given the Murdoch hold on the media and Australia's conservative tendency. The last to force a change in government was Rudd who was a exceptionally good communicator and inspiring leader, unfortunately he wasn't great at management and execution and wasn't old school labor so soon as his approval ratings went so did he.

2 hours ago, Ossified said:

Bloody Hell Comrade

We have a Centrist (ALP)  

2 hours ago, Carns said:

Shorten lost the election because he was unlikable and unelectable. Once the public had made their mind up (and there were continuous preferred leader polls showing this) the ALP were flogging a dead horse. Ironically, because of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd fiasco, it was made more difficult to dump a leader. And it cost them in the end. And of course the media etc. didn't help their cause. But Shorten was never popular. And populism wins.

Listening to him today ...and he was quite different to during the campaign.

Not so wooden, and more natural.

Shame he came across so badly under the pressure of an election campaign.

This belongs in multiple threads but I am putting it here because if the ostriches in the conservative federal and state governments.

Bye bye coal

World's biggest investment firm ditches coal in 'fundamental reshaping of finance' http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-15/worlds-largest-fund-manager-to-cut-thermal-coal-exposure/11869300

13 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The Libs are in power and have been for what seems like forever, they can't keep blaming the previous Labor government. 

The haven't acted on Climate Change its on them. They have a bunch of hard right nut jobs who don't believe Climate Change is real, and they are beholden to the Coal Industry FFS this is the prime minister who brought a lump of coal into the parliament.

Yes I'm disappointed that Labor didn't provide a better opposition and therefore get into power, but the primary blame for Government inaction on climate change is the government.

The greens hold some blame for when they wouldn't co-operate with Labor, which they had arguably things might have turned out different, but that was years ago. 

We have a government that can not agree that climate change is real amongst itself, now as the country burns they are shifting to, ok its real but we aren't willing to treat the cause.

If they put up a credible climate policy and Labor vote it down, then you can blame Labor but for now its all on the Lib / Nationals.

As for Shorten's failure to get in, they didn't deliver a clear enough message, however it is hard in Australia for any Left (or Centre Left) party to get in given the Murdoch hold on the media and Australia's conservative tendency. The last to force a change in government was Rudd who was a exceptionally good communicator and inspiring leader, unfortunately he wasn't great at management and execution and wasn't old school labor so soon as his approval ratings went so did he.

:hi:

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Its a question of having a logical set of policies to win government... further being able to argue your case... doing research and have facts to support your arguments... facts by the way not just good feeling... the facts are huge and out there everywhere they are not hard to find.. 

You keep blaming everyone and saying its totally the rights fault and their is no fault on the left.... if so can you explain why Bill Shorten lost an un-loss-able argument about Electric Vehicles ...

Tell me why or how the Libs won the EV argument... this is simply a matter of total incompetence on his part ... yest the Libs lied... News may have backed them up... but 10, 9, 2 SBS, Fairfax  would have loved a reply similar to mine post above... that simple thing early on in the election would have put the Libs on the backfoot on CC whereas the Liba actually won and the pattern followed the entire election.

I think both Middy and Sonar are on slightly different tangents.

I'd be surprised if they really disagreed on much related to CC.

The only thing I disagree with Middy on is including 9 with the others he has included together.

I refuse to watch 9...ever.

Can they be included in that company... anyone? Evidence?

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

The only thing I disagree with Middy on is including 9 with the others he has included together.

I refuse to watch commercial television, besides it isn't available in the people's republic of Marrickville. We only get SBS and ABC on our TVs

Just now, StringerBellend said:

I refuse to watch commercial television, besides it isn't available in the people's republic of Marrickville. We only get SBS and ABC on our TVs

:hi:

OK ...so you can't tell me about 9.

Next?:D

PS I should say I don't  watch 7 much...but do sometimes catch the News.

I like a lot of what I see on The Project...when I do have it on.That and their News is all I ever watch on 10.

23 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We disagree greatly I'm afraid.

I have to ask wendy.....who is responsible for the current govt policy on CC...? The Abbott/Turnbull/Morrison govts or those who have no power to legislate..?.........Bill Shorten/Anthony Albanese.....?

Edited by sonar

I hate taking sides, hen forumites argue...and it's complicated.

I can see what you're both saying...altho I've only skimmed the last 2 pages.

Of course the Abbott and subsequent Coalition govts are responsible for our years of inaction on CC....and our non-policy on CC, and current position.

But I also can see Middy's point,  when he says that it was Shorten and Labor who blew the election...and thereby are also responsible for the poor situation we're in now.

Mind you...50% of the Aust population who voted in the govt are part of the equation. :(

You could also say The Greens, in scuppering the CPRS (is that what the precursor to the Carbon Tax was called?) did untold damage in voting that down...and who knows what the last decade would have looked like if Rudd's policy had been implemented. 

:(:(

PS It's interesting to hear Morrison and his ministers mainly going to pains to confirm that they believe in CC.

Of course they do!

This was looked at in that article posted by Stringer.

But...but...but... that absolutely does NOT mean they believe in anthropogenic CC.

The hard Right have shifted...which means they can say they believe in CC when it's  expedient, but it doesn't mean they believe there needs to be cuts to emissions, or that fossil fuels have to be phased out.

When they say, "Of course our govt believes in CC, " I wish journalists would probe a bit deeper.

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I hate taking sides, hen forumites argue...and it's complicated.

I never asked you to take sides....I just asked a question.....:unknw:

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Of course the Abbott and subsequent Coalition govts are responsible for our years of inaction on CC....and our non-policy on CC, and current position.

....and for me the lack of action for the previous 6 years rests with the govt.....NOT an opposition with someone who was defeated in an election 6 months ago.

Edited by sonar

29 minutes ago, sonar said:

...and for me the lack of action for the previous 6 years rests with the govt.....NOT an opposition with someone who was defeated in an election 6 months ago.

Sure.

And every time I read about/ think about /see images of countless BILLIONS of plants, insects and animals gone, partly as a result of this govt's policies, and of Morrison's inaction for MONTHS, when he could have reduced the impact if he gave a ****, I feel heartbroken,

And then ...I burn with anger and contempt for him and every member of his abhorrent govt.

7 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Sure.

And every time I read about/ think about /see images of countless BILLIONS of plants, insects and animals gone, partly as a result of this govt's policies, and Morrison's inaction for months, when he could have reduced the impact if he gave a ****, I feel heartbroken,

And then I burn with anger and contempt for him and every member of his contemptible govt.

....and I totally agree with and empathise with you and your position....so you can understand my anger at folks who shift the blame to an opposition who don't have the power to legislate and haven't for 6 years and this is my main point..

Edited by sonar

22 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Stick to the Telegraph then 

Anyone besides the Guardian will do.

I didn't read the exchanges between you and Middy closely enough to know whether he was actually blaming Shorten??

The election result was extremely unfortunate, from my poibt of view...more time wasted on a totally no talent govt with pygmy policies.

But noone could have foreseen just HOW inadequate they'd be in the face of a crisis they've actively worked for years to deny was looming.

Every inadequate million they are now allocating to some worthy cause or other,  must just about kill them...given the only thing they know how to do is NOT fund projects that at least 50% of the populace considers worthwhile eg for environmental protections.

It's all too little, far too late.