Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, btron3000 said:

We should become a republic, change the flag, change the anthem (at least some words), and change the date. There’s really no reason not to do these things.

honestly i like our flag but i get why people want that changed however i completely agree with you here, we should have become a republic a long time ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm less interested in the flag and the anthem, but becoming a republic is an opportunity to have a complete rewrite of the constitution. Could fix all sorts of issues relating to political donations and lobbying, voting systems, corruption etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davo said:

I'm less interested in the flag and the anthem, but becoming a republic is an opportunity to have a complete rewrite of the constitution. Could fix all sorts of issues relating to political donations and lobbying, voting systems, corruption etc.

didnt even consider that tbh, very good point however knowing our politicians they would somehow **** that up :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, btron3000 said:

You need to google the difference between socialism and communism.

Just picking flyshit out of pepper.

Bottom line all faarking lefties !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Just picking flyshit out of pepper.

Bottom line all faarking lefties !

They end up being just another form of dictatorship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, theseeker said:

Just picking flyshit out of pepper.

Bottom line all faarking lefties !

RWNJs and populists tend not to be good on subtlety 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

RWNJs and populists tend not to be good on subtlety 

ha ha RWNJS and populists. You know when I first started posting I found the name Stringer Bellend a bit strange. But now I see it fits perfectly.

But maybe you could change it to something nicer like " Stringer Pearls" or Stringer Along"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another pork barrel in Queensland to buy votes.

So much for fiscal responsibility.

The coalition is f****** two-faced and they have been found out. 

Queensland school received federal funding to build a swimming pool it didn't want http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/queensland-school-got-funding-to-build-unwanted-swimming-pool/11945596

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I appreciated this summation of Aust politics I found on Reddit...

"The "somehow" (of how the Coalition returned to power last election) is actually a really basic formula that can be broken in to two parts:

Part one: Draw a Labor policy out of a hat (ideally something that a lot of people won't understand like technology or economics). Start pretending said policy is the absolute end of the world. That they can't believe Labor would even *suggest* something as outlandish as... *checks back of hand*... funding schools. 

The Murdoch rags know that's their cue. They'll join in on the tutting and spluttering and since they're even less accountable than the Liberal Party, they'll happily print baseless **** like "Australia needs Tony" on their front page. 

Before you know it, the dialogue has been consumed by this non-issue. People (and pond slime from PR agencies pretending to be people) will flood social media, joining in on the outrage. 

"They're not going to take *my* [Franklins credits](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklins)!" they'll exclaim with far more self-confidence than they should reasonably have. 

And then it's time for part two. 

They've already put the boot in, so now they'll slip the tongue in. We're talking money. Probably not *actual* money, but definitely some easily broken promises about money. 

Remember when Howard was going to "keep interest rates low", (despite having no control over it and the people who *do* have control over it coming out and saying "it really won't make any difference")?

Remember how we were all going to be $500 better off without the carbon tax (until wage growth ground to a halt, your penalty rates were taken away and half the country burned down)?

They were so historically unpopular last election that they had to up it to *$1000* (with about that many caveats attached). 

And that's really all there is to it. "Labor bad, have some money". 

*Maybe* you need to kick out a PM or two to keep your snouts in the trough but that's a small price to pay for gold-plated tennis courts that cost as much as pretending to save the Great Barrier Reef does. 

Nobody *there* is going to ask Scomo why he sat around in Hawaii hiding a half-chub from the Hula girls while the rest of Australia choked on the last 30 years of their environmental inaction."

 

Cheeky...definitely, but not far from the truth (whatever THAT is these days)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I appreciated this summation of Aust politics I found on Reddit...

"The "somehow" (of how the Coalition returned to power last election) is actually a really basic formula that can be broken in to two parts:

Part one: Draw a Labor policy out of a hat (ideally something that a lot of people won't understand like technology or economics). Start pretending said policy is the absolute end of the world. That they can't believe Labor would even *suggest* something as outlandish as... *checks back of hand*... funding schools. 

The Murdoch rags know that's their cue. They'll join in on the tutting and spluttering and since they're even less accountable than the Liberal Party, they'll happily print baseless **** like "Australia needs Tony" on their front page. 

Before you know it, the dialogue has been consumed by this non-issue. People (and pond slime from PR agencies pretending to be people) will flood social media, joining in on the outrage. 

"They're not going to take *my* [Franklins credits](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklins)!" they'll exclaim with far more self-confidence than they should reasonably have. 

And then it's time for part two. 

They've already put the boot in, so now they'll slip the tongue in. We're talking money. Probably not *actual* money, but definitely some easily broken promises about money. 

Remember when Howard was going to "keep interest rates low", (despite having no control over it and the people who *do* have control over it coming out and saying "it really won't make any difference")?

Remember how we were all going to be $500 better off without the carbon tax (until wage growth ground to a halt, your penalty rates were taken away and half the country burned down)?

They were so historically unpopular last election that they had to up it to *$1000* (with about that many caveats attached). 

And that's really all there is to it. "Labor bad, have some money". 

*Maybe* you need to kick out a PM or two to keep your snouts in the trough but that's a small price to pay for gold-plated tennis courts that cost as much as pretending to save the Great Barrier Reef does. 

Nobody *there* is going to ask Scomo why he sat around in Hawaii hiding a half-chub from the Hula girls while the rest of Australia choked on the last 30 years of their environmental inaction."

 

Cheeky...definitely, but not far from the truth (whatever THAT is these days)

This is all just fabulous stuff Wendy but so what, Scott Morrison will say yes let's have a re run of the election ?

Labor lost the election because partly because they believed the polls and were arrogant. Like Chris Bowen saying if you don't like the policies don't vote for us , and they didn't. Bill Shorten overheard telling some heavyweight " I'm going to be the next Prime Minister of Australia.

And Morrisons holiday , he went on holiday before it was a crisis and the States were looking after it. Came back as soon as it escalated. Entitled to a short holiday with his family. Unlike some professions that get about ten weeks a year holiday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theseeker said:

This is all just fabulous stuff Wendy but so what, Scott Morrison will say yes let's have a re run of the election ?

Labor lost the election because partly because they believed the polls and were arrogant. Like Chris Bowen saying if you don't like the policies don't vote for us , and they didn't. Bill Shorten overheard telling some heavyweight " I'm going to be the next Prime Minister of Australia.

And Morrisons holiday , he went on holiday before it was a crisis and the States were looking after it. Came back as soon as it escalated. Entitled to a short holiday with his family. Unlike some professions that get about ten weeks a year holiday.

 

Agree somewhat with the first two paragraphs...but not the last.

Yes, Labor were too complacent, and arrogant, but they also didn't have a full grip on what they were up against, which we now now - corrupt practices like the sports rorts etc)

Re Morrison's holiday.

 

Why did he sneak off as he did,  if it was quite ok?

It had been calamitous in a number of states for a couple of months before he left, and he quite obviously, felt zero connection to what was going on.

PS I detest him less for being MIA than for what he had done( or more correctly had  had not done) for the years, months and weeks before he disappeared, tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Agree somewhat with the first two paragraphs...but not the last.

Yes, Labor were too complacent, and arrogant, but they also didn't have a full grip on what they were up against, which we now now - corrupt practices like the sports rorts etc)

Re Morrison's holiday.

 

Why did he sneak off as he did,  if it was quite ok?

It had been calamitous in a number of states for a couple of months before he left, and he quite obviously, felt zero connection to what was going on.

PS I detest him less for being MIA than for what he had done( or more correctly had  had not done) for the years, months and weeks before he disappeared, tbh.

At the risk of this becoming boring. He didn't sneak off , this was done quietly for security purposes. You want some jihadi terrorist to try and  blow up him and his family on departure or in Hawaii ?

Secondly Morrison is not a sole supreme being. When he went on holiday there would have been a Deputy Prime Minister to look after the ship , all the Ministers were still in place as was the bureaucracy.And as I have said before constitutionally bushfires are a States responsibility and they guard their rights jealously. He was constrained in what he could do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not common practise for Prime Ministers to disappear during National emergencies, though I will agree the lack of accountability from ministers is not uncommon. That being said the huge threat of Jihadi terrorists must surely have been at the forefront of Scomo's concerns considering Canberra and Hawaii are hotbeds of jihadist extremists. 

Also I must've missed when the national firefighting fleet fund became a state responsibility. That's obviously why Scomo ignored requests for more funding, it's just not his job.

Oh and on Scomo and his mandate, you'd think if everyone supported his and his parties views so strongly they would have at least beaten labor in the election. 

But hey you keep fighting your ideology war. It definitely makes for some entertaining posts. I couldn't care less which party was in power, just wish whoever it was actually showed some concern for Australia and not just those making large donations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

 That being said the huge threat of Jihadi terrorists must surely have been at the forefront of Scomo's concerns considering Canberra and Hawaii are hotbeds of jihadist extremists. 

 

Probably more chance of Scotty getting knocked off by disgruntled rural folk in fire stricken regions :xnod:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

It's not common practise for Prime Ministers to disappear during National emergencies, though I will agree the lack of accountability from ministers is not uncommon. That being said the huge threat of Jihadi terrorists must surely have been at the forefront of Scomo's concerns considering Canberra and Hawaii are hotbeds of jihadist extremists. 

Also I must've missed when the national firefighting fleet fund became a state responsibility. That's obviously why Scomo ignored requests for more funding, it's just not his job.

Oh and on Scomo and his mandate, you'd think if everyone supported his and his parties views so strongly they would have at least beaten labor in the election. 

But hey you keep fighting your ideology war. It definitely makes for some entertaining posts. I couldn't care less which party was in power, just wish whoever it was actually showed some concern for Australia and not just those making large donations. 

I really don't need to keep fighting Labor lost. Yea but jihads have been known to travel. Canberra  and Hawaii ?

Auburn , Punchbowl , Bankstown , Granville . Merrylands , Guildford ?

And remember the Parramatta jihadi murder ?

 

Edited by theseeker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theseeker said:

I really don't need to keep fighting Labor lost. Yea but jihads have been known to travel. Canberra  and Hawaii ?

Auburn , Punchbowl , Bankstown , Granville . Merrylands , Guildford ?

And remember the Parramatta jihadi murder ?

 

what on earth are you talking about now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

what on earth are you talking about now?

I just hope it's not politics, as that should lead to a ban 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Taurus said:

I just hope it's not politics, as that should lead to a ban 

You should have been banned years ago Riddler.  

Don't know what you are talking about. But you think I care about a ban ? 

Ban away if you wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theseeker said:

You should have been banned years ago Riddler.  

Don't know what you are talking about. But you think I care about a ban ? 

Ban away if you wish.

Unkind and unnecessary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Unkind and unnecessary

Like water flowing off a ducks back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This article shows that Scumbo's govt has absolutely no compassion

Disability pensioners were increasingly drawn into robodebt while scheme was under scrutiny https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/feb/10/disability-pensioners-were-increasingly-drawn-into-robodebt-while-scheme-was-under-scrutiny?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Paul 01 .You keep posting all this stuff but .........NOBODY CARES !

But parliamentary debate and articles you may have missed ( or ignored ). Nowhere Man Anthony Albanese  was Minister for  Infrastructure and Transport 2007-2013 and shock horror an Audit Office report in 2011 found that projects in ALP electorates were more successful at being awarded funding than Coalition seats.

He basically did what McKenzie did , but did he resign ?

So the ALP and all their moralistic , holier than thou supporters on here baying for blood are what i said over and over ...... HYPOCRITES !

 

Edited by theseeker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott Morrison is running a corrupt government. EOM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Scott Morrison is running a corrupt government. EOM.

Ha ha . so that's the best you got. Thought as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Scott Morrison is running a corrupt government. EOM.

Something about yes it’s ok because the other lot did it years ago... so it’s perfectly acceptable 

Expecting Politicians to use Public Money for the public good is political correctness gone mad

PS it rained yesterday so all you greenies, tree huggers, inner west tossers, Ferals and people who understand facts and data are wrong 
 

now back to knock one out of Peta Credilin

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...