Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

If only everyone was obsessed with living within their means. 

Imagine. 

Yes I can imagine.....it would mean everyone should just stay in their lane, don’t take risks to try for something better. It would mean balancing the books would be the priority over dreams and imagination and investing in a bigger tomorrow! 

Very sensible Legia. 

Oh and welcome back. I missed you. :)

Edited by Cynth
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Yes I can imagine.....it would mean everyone should just stay in their lane, don’t take risks to try for something better. It would mean balancing the books would be the priority over dreams and imagination and investing in a bigger tomorrow! 

Very sensible Legia. 

Oh and welcome back. I missed you. :)

Two different things

What I find interesting is in most parts of the world climate science is accepted as fact and the argument is essentially about the speed in introducing renewables and phasing out carbon based fuels and the best methods to do so.

Only the USA & Australia, are casting doubt on the science and this is not commonly reported ....

I honestly have no idea how educated people can look at the science and with no expertise claim  it to be a put up job from the left when its was the Iron Lady herself in Margret Thrasher  who first pointed out CC as an issue and the English conservative party has pushed harder than the left in the UK for renewables.

The only think I can think of is the revenue to government and foreign currency for the nation is so large that it can't be done away with... the issue with this thinking is  its going to take between 20 & 30 years even if we start now to get rid of the coal mines and most importantly there are new forms of revenue and industries if governments would apply thinking and investment instead of cost cutting scientific investment investing in new areas..

But back to my main point why is the worlds position on CC not better explained by our media ... its more portrayed by our media as the left gaining control ....

31 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Two different things

How so Ed?

Ask any entrepreneur whether they have lived outside their means before, living on borrowed money in the hope of a future profit. 

And what got us out of the GFC? Spending money we did it have to save people’s future jobs and the economy from going into recession.

And ask someone who chooses to go on an overseas trip of a lifetime that they can’t afford, for the experience alone. 

Dreams, imagination and investment into the future. All risks, all could fail. 

But you know a government surplus is good too. Sensible, stable and able to be spent on election bribes in the future. ;)

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

What I find interesting is in most parts of the world climate science is accepted as fact and the argument is essentially about the speed in introducing renewables and phasing out carbon based fuels and the best methods to do so.

Only the USA & Australia, are casting doubt on the science and this is not commonly reported ....

I honestly have no idea how educated people can look at the science and with no expertise claim  it to be a put up job from the left when its was the Iron Lady herself in Margret Thrasher  who first pointed out CC as an issue and the English conservative party has pushed harder than the left in the UK for renewables.

The only think I can think of is the revenue to government and foreign currency for the nation is so large that it can't be done away with... the issue with this thinking is  its going to take between 20 & 30 years even if we start now to get rid of the coal mines and most importantly there are new forms of revenue and industries if governments would apply thinking and investment instead of cost cutting scientific investment investing in new areas..

But back to my main point why is the worlds position on CC not better explained by our media ... its more portrayed by our media as the left gaining control ....

Look at our media ownership

Todays front page of the telegraph was a half page ad for sky news and an article on A reality TV show we are truely ****ed 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Look at our media ownership

Todays front page of the telegraph was a half page ad for sky news and an article on A reality TV show we are truely ****ed 

OK but aside from News we have... ABC, SBS, Fairfax, Ch 9,  Ch 7, & Ch 10...

Only the Project seems to look at the rest of the world and solutions... like they did last night with Germany... 

Sometimes me thinks .... reporters are writing to say inner city hard core true believers... in doing this allow the CCD space to spread rubbish..

Last night how The Project showed what Germany was doing and what is happening in the rest of the world was so refreshing and I would love to see more of it... 

News is beyond bad but purely blaming them masks IMO the inability of others to tell the story better... 

2 hours ago, Cynth said:

How so Ed?

Ask any entrepreneur whether they have lived outside their means before, living on borrowed money in the hope of a future profit. 

It's not black and white. No matter what I say here you will disagree somehow. An entrepreneur is more likely to sacrifice other things to live within their means. If they don't the project goes bust no matter how good it is. That doesn't  mean they won't  borrow or take a risk  just that it's a calculated risk.

And what got us out of the GFC? Spending money we did it have to save people’s future jobs and the economy from going into recession.

Borrowing, taking a calculated risk that we had the means to repay!? Yes, all good. Including sacrificing some other things to achieve it! 

And ask someone who chooses to go on an overseas trip of a lifetime that they can’t afford, for the experience alone. 

Again they sacrifice other things so they can afford it.

Dreams, imagination and investment into the future. All risks, all could fail. 

Yes, I know and I'm still paying off my failed risks. But I am paying them off because the risks were considered to be within my means.

But you know a government surplus is good too. Sensible, stable and able to be spent on election bribes in the future. ;)

Still not the same 

Do I believe the government should aim for a surplus regardless? No.

Do I believe achieving a surplus is a good thing? A qualified yes.

What is the aim of the surplus? Reduce existing debt? A good idea. Provide for future spending? A good idea.

Hasn't the government said the planned surplus is secondary to meeting the needs of the recent disasters!

Living within your means and taking a risk are not mutually exclusive.

31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Actually, K Rudd provides quite a good evaluation of  a lot of media/politics issues in that interview.

Worth listening to!

:good::good:

i watched part of it so far and i agree but its not only that he actually has a sense of humour, its a pretty weird sense of humour but he seems human unlike the robot trying to pretend to be human that is our current pm

And a disturbing article

Older, wiser but underemployed: no longer can it be treated with indifference https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2020/feb/25/older-wiser-but-underemployed-no-longer-can-it-be-treated-with-indifference?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Edited by Paul01
Correction
17 hours ago, Paul01 said:

18 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Dutton is Trump without the money 

Dutton says 'leftwing lunatics' must be dealt with as Asio warns of far-right threat https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/feb/25/dutton-says-leftwing-lunatics-must-be-dealt-with-as-asio-warns-of-far-right-threat?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I can honestly barely find the words to describe how despicable this govt is.

:(:(

any form of extremism can pretty much be a threat, any religion can be a threat if the person is extreme enough, same with atheists and both the left and right can be a threat, but Dutton is just deflecting, the past 10 ish years i think there has been a rise in right wing extremism not just in australia though

Here yer go @wendybr your mate should be happy about this 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/education-minister-seeks-to-end-university-cancel-culture

If this Liberal party tit is on your side then, it maybe time to re look at it 

Once again “free speech”

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Here yer go @wendybr your mate should be happy about this 

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/education-minister-seeks-to-end-university-cancel-culture

If this Liberal party tit is on your side then, it maybe time to re look at it 

Once again “free speech”

Hmmmm...

Is Barack Obama  a "tit" for taking exception to "cancel culture"?

As discussed last year?

'You’re politically woke and all that': Barack Obama cancels the cancel culture
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/you-re-politically-woke-and-all-that-barack-obama-cancels-the-cancel-culture?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hmmmm...

Is Barack Obama  a "tit" for taking exception to "cancel culture"?

As discussed ladt year?

'You’re politically woke and all that': Barack Obama cancels the cancel culture
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/you-re-politically-woke-and-all-that-barack-obama-cancels-the-cancel-culture?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

He is 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic