Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

On 09/05/2020 at 3:37 PM, wendybr said:

Lol....I did think of that too,   but I thought I'd give Jobseekers the benefit of the doubt!

😁😁

i was going to buy alcohol either way :P

On 09/05/2020 at 2:05 PM, Carns said:

The Gov knew that with the sheer number of people who would be unemployed - many of which would've never been unemployed - it would be untenable expecting those people to live on so little. The rhetoric of "the best form of welfare is a job" falls a bit flat and they can't call them "dole bludgers".

The fact they did it immediately shows they knew the original payment was not something people could realistically live on. Particularly somewhere like Sydney.

that is a very good point, i do wonder how much people would turn against how much people on benefits were payed when they actually had to live on that amount :P either way glad some things have changed

24 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

The drawing of Scott Morrison is spot on. That stupid smirk look he does just pisses me off so much everything he does it.

16 hours ago, Paul01 said:

And Plod trying to contravert rights of children 

Questions over proposed ASIO powers to question children as young as 14 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-14/peter-dutton-introduces-bill-giving-asio-powers-to-talk-to-teens/12246886

Plod also asking for ASIO to have powers to intercept phones WITHOUT a warrant.

What a f***wit.

Dictator Dutton IMO 

Not only does Dutton’s bill impinge significantly on the rights of lawyers and their clients, it reduces independent scrutiny of ASIO’s surveillance activities. ASIO officers will have the power to track individuals and will only have to get the OK to do so from another ASIO officer rather than having to file paperwork for a warrant from an independent judicial officer. This approval can be oral, so long as paperwork is filed two days later. And what sort of tracking technology is allowed? Any technology ASIO “has access to” albeit with the usual toothless caveats about it being “appropriate and subject to strict accountability requirements and restrictions".

I guess, like, i don't know, some kind of app on your phone that was tracking the contacts you had with people? Like that?

Why would that matter? Especially in a country where the billionaires have to play nice with the Government as opposed to here where the Government plays nice with the billionaires? Any Government who implements trade sanctions in such a fashion is likely to directly subsidise or at least placate anyone who has investments in the countries being targeted.

Morrison is insane. Carrying water for Trump's idiocy and attacks on China, what the hell is Trump going to do for us? The EU? Absolutely ******* nothing. That's what. Our country is being set up as a pinata for China in order to further capitalist international realpolitik against a country that doesn't bow and scrape before the other nuclear powers like the US.

China suffered the Century Of Humiliation, came out of it by implement a social order that not even the Soviet Union managed to survive to the end of the 1900's using, and has cemented itself as something that cannot be easily overthrown in a coup or short little war like the US has done to dozens of other countries. With nuclear weapons.

And our Government is throwing themselves at China saying "please, wreck our economy even harder" for what? What interest does it server Australia to push pro-US anti-China COVID conspiracies (oh wait, sorry "an 'independent' investigation into China's handling of the COVID crisis lead by an inevitably biased United States or one of their puppet states) on a global stage to help Trump win re-election?

I watched the conservative (Liberal Party) candidate for Eden-Monaro on the news last night saying she believes in climate-charge. If she were to be elected, that party room will  eat her alive

Climate change critical issue in Eden-Monaro byelection as 6 in 10 voters say more action needed by government https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/25/climate-change-critical-issue-in-eden-monaro-byelection-as-6-in-10-voters-say-more-action-needed-by-government?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

I watched the conservative (Liberal Party) candidate for Eden-Monaro on the news last night saying she believes in climate-charge. If she were to be elected, that party room will  eat her alive

Climate change critical issue in Eden-Monaro byelection as 6 in 10 voters say more action needed by government https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/25/climate-change-critical-issue-in-eden-monaro-byelection-as-6-in-10-voters-say-more-action-needed-by-government?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Like many Liberals she believes that Climate Change is real right up to the point of actually doing something about it. Then.....nothing.

Edited by sonar
On 23/05/2020 at 2:18 PM, mack said:

Why would that matter? Especially in a country where the billionaires have to play nice with the Government as opposed to here where the Government plays nice with the billionaires? Any Government who implements trade sanctions in such a fashion is likely to directly subsidise or at least placate anyone who has investments in the countries being targeted.

Morrison is insane. Carrying water for Trump's idiocy and attacks on China, what the hell is Trump going to do for us? The EU? Absolutely ******* nothing. That's what. Our country is being set up as a pinata for China in order to further capitalist international realpolitik against a country that doesn't bow and scrape before the other nuclear powers like the US.

China suffered the Century Of Humiliation, came out of it by implement a social order that not even the Soviet Union managed to survive to the end of the 1900's using, and has cemented itself as something that cannot be easily overthrown in a coup or short little war like the US has done to dozens of other countries. With nuclear weapons.

And our Government is throwing themselves at China saying "please, wreck our economy even harder" for what? What interest does it server Australia to push pro-US anti-China COVID conspiracies (oh wait, sorry "an 'independent' investigation into China's handling of the COVID crisis lead by an inevitably biased United States or one of their puppet states) on a global stage to help Trump win re-election?

:lol:

13 hours ago, Paul01 said:

It is interesting that GetUp uses a market research company co-owned by the CFMEU and the ACTU.

13 hours ago, Paul01 said:

She's lying because their polling says she should say that. If elected will immediately switch to the usual denialist position of the LNP.

One wonders that if we were not so absorbed by the issue of climate change over the last decade and a half there would be some attention and money to spare in other areas. More pressing issues.

16 minutes ago, Legionista said:

No subsidies should be paid.

Would you agree?

For renewables OR fossil fuels.? For me, if you look at it logically & economically once coal/gas/oil is burned or processed it's gone forever. They are a finite resource. Renewables for eg...solar + batteries make more sense because of the fact that the sun rises every day

Tbh Legia can you imagine if the $12bn for just two years of FF subsidies ($ 24bn)  was used to develop solar and battery with the added bonus of no or relatively minor enviormental impacts.

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, Legionista said:

One wonders that if we were not so absorbed by the issue of climate change over the last decade and a half there would be some attention and money to spare in other areas. More pressing issues.

Issues such as....?

Fell off my seat... work colleagues rushed over to help... grasping for air and in dizzy disbelief I point to my computer screen...

Then another person collapsed in shock struggling to get words out... 

So Mo announced today... careful be sure your sitting down... he wants to overhaul industrial relations... no brainier ... followed that up with he wants the Unions involved and business to develop a workable system for job creation and decent pay... he then announced all government current legislation  going through parliament against unions would be cancelled.... essentially a Bob Hawke type consensus

Its just a guess but maybe So Mo has had his body taken over...  by something... watch the vid it only goes for about 50 seconds ... maybe I am dreaming... 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/scott-morrison-industrial-relations-business-unions-coronavirus/12287072

20 hours ago, Legionista said:

Hmmmmm.....for the last three years, the US administration has certainly not been absorbed by the issue of climate change and certainly haven’t devoted money to it.....and yet it hasn’t seemed to make them more prepared for a pandemic, more able to address health care issues, more able to reduce poverty or inequality, more able to reduce the death rate by gun crime. Sooo....you should quit wondering. :cool:

Nice to see a dissenting voice though....

Edited by Cynth
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic