wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

On 23/05/2020 at 2:18 PM, mack said:

Why would that matter? Especially in a country where the billionaires have to play nice with the Government as opposed to here where the Government plays nice with the billionaires? Any Government who implements trade sanctions in such a fashion is likely to directly subsidise or at least placate anyone who has investments in the countries being targeted.

Morrison is insane. Carrying water for Trump's idiocy and attacks on China, what the hell is Trump going to do for us? The EU? Absolutely ******* nothing. That's what. Our country is being set up as a pinata for China in order to further capitalist international realpolitik against a country that doesn't bow and scrape before the other nuclear powers like the US.

China suffered the Century Of Humiliation, came out of it by implement a social order that not even the Soviet Union managed to survive to the end of the 1900's using, and has cemented itself as something that cannot be easily overthrown in a coup or short little war like the US has done to dozens of other countries. With nuclear weapons.

And our Government is throwing themselves at China saying "please, wreck our economy even harder" for what? What interest does it server Australia to push pro-US anti-China COVID conspiracies (oh wait, sorry "an 'independent' investigation into China's handling of the COVID crisis lead by an inevitably biased United States or one of their puppet states) on a global stage to help Trump win re-election?

:lol:

7 hours ago, Legionista said:

8 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Roll out the (pork) barrel

NSW ministers accused of 'farcical' cash splash http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-25/nsw-ministers-accused-of-favouritism-in-arts-spending/12271392

What an utter disgrace.

New nickname for the Deputy Premier...John Porkbarilaro.

13 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I watched the conservative (Liberal Party) candidate for Eden-Monaro on the news last night saying she believes in climate-charge. If she were to be elected, that party room will  eat her alive

Climate change critical issue in Eden-Monaro byelection as 6 in 10 voters say more action needed by government https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/25/climate-change-critical-issue-in-eden-monaro-byelection-as-6-in-10-voters-say-more-action-needed-by-government?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

It is interesting that GetUp uses a market research company co-owned by the CFMEU and the ACTU.

13 hours ago, Paul01 said:

I watched the conservative (Liberal Party) candidate for Eden-Monaro on the news last night saying she believes in climate-charge. If she were to be elected, that party room will  eat her alive

She's lying because their polling says she should say that. If elected will immediately switch to the usual denialist position of the LNP.

One wonders that if we were not so absorbed by the issue of climate change over the last decade and a half there would be some attention and money to spare in other areas. More pressing issues.

Let's all praise China for how many miles ahead of us they on Climate Change.

Mack you first.

1 minute ago, Legionista said:

One wonders that if we were not so absorbed by the issue of climate change over the last decade and a half there would be some attention and money to spare in other areas. More pressing issues.

You mean like the $12bn pa fossil fuel subsidies. 

https://www.marketforces.org.au/campaigns/ffs/

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Legionista said:

No subsidies should be paid.

Would you agree?

For renewables OR fossil fuels.? For me, if you look at it logically & economically once coal/gas/oil is burned or processed it's gone forever. They are a finite resource. Renewables for eg...solar + batteries make more sense because of the fact that the sun rises every day

Tbh Legia can you imagine if the $12bn for just two years of FF subsidies ($ 24bn)  was used to develop solar and battery with the added bonus of no or relatively minor enviormental impacts.

Edited by sonar

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

Issues such as....?

Yet again the conservatives favour the big end of town to hide white collar crime

Frydenberg’s changes to shareholder class actions smack of ‘cronyism’, lawyers say https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/may/25/frydenbergs-changes-to-shareholder-class-actions-smack-of-cronyism-lawyers-say?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Fell off my seat... work colleagues rushed over to help... grasping for air and in dizzy disbelief I point to my computer screen...

Then another person collapsed in shock struggling to get words out... 

So Mo announced today... careful be sure your sitting down... he wants to overhaul industrial relations... no brainier ... followed that up with he wants the Unions involved and business to develop a workable system for job creation and decent pay... he then announced all government current legislation  going through parliament against unions would be cancelled.... essentially a Bob Hawke type consensus

Its just a guess but maybe So Mo has had his body taken over...  by something... watch the vid it only goes for about 50 seconds ... maybe I am dreaming... 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/scott-morrison-industrial-relations-business-unions-coronavirus/12287072

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Legionista said:

Hmmmmm.....for the last three years, the US administration has certainly not been absorbed by the issue of climate change and certainly haven’t devoted money to it.....and yet it hasn’t seemed to make them more prepared for a pandemic, more able to address health care issues, more able to reduce poverty or inequality, more able to reduce the death rate by gun crime. Sooo....you should quit wondering. :cool:

Nice to see a dissenting voice though....

Edited by Cynth

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

Fell off my seat... work colleagues rushed over to help... grasping for air and in dizzy disbelief I point to my computer screen...

Then another person collapsed in shock struggling to get words out... 

So Mo announced today... careful be sure your sitting down... he wants to overhaul industrial relations... no brainier ... followed that up with he wants the Unions involved and business to develop a workable system for job creation and decent pay... he then announced all government current legislation  going through parliament against unions would be cancelled.... essentially a Bob Hawke type consensus

Its just a guess but maybe So Mo has had his body taken over...  by something... watch the vid it only goes for about 50 seconds ... maybe I am dreaming... 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/scott-morrison-industrial-relations-business-unions-coronavirus/12287072

Smoke and mirrors? 

5 hours ago, Cynth said:

Smoke and mirrors? 

My brain says I think you are right...

My heart hopes you are wrong...

That the unions have shown support for this and wanta work with the PM ...  have shown no cynicism and made no comments about his past indicates to me !!!!!!!!!!! AAARRRRr ggRRR not sure but the open and welcoming support by the Unions and union leadership I find AARRGGGRRRR say refreshing like just maybe he means it...

I am an eternal optimist and sometimes see signs of hope in gloom.

The coronavirus has shaken world economies. Australia is no exception.

Its difficult looking forward seeing international tourism, and overseas students returning to their pre coronavirus   levels and for that matter as new work practices are developed around working from home many cafes and small lunch food court business will not reopen.

I guess it means we need to find new or expand existing sectors to employ people.

This provides the Federal government with a huge challenge, the combination of lost tax revenue when added to future social security payments will place lots of pressure on the budget.

My gut is Federal government department advisers are looking to ways of both reducing our reliance on China exports and large and quick developments of other sectors.

Three iMO mega changes in policy have already taken place and each runs against what the current PM and government previous positions.

First, and yes its not far enough, but the statement to reduce coal and look to both alternative and gas projects with a big push into Hydrogen. To produce cheaper costs of power for industry.

Second a big boost to TAFE and re look at improving and directing courses to new work.

Third is the announced IR work with unions.

Just maybe, like with the coronavirus the Federal government is listening to its advisers.

I am a swinging voter, with a more say Liberal aspect, but aside from 1975 when Fraser won and last year when Shorten lost I have always voted for winning PM.

So Mo’s climate change stance and the liberal stance on CC overall, was the reason I switched.

But as an eternal optimist I can if nothing else see a federal government at least making mostly the right calls to date.

So, the day after ScoMo heralds a new era of Industrial relations, Gladys denies essential front line workers their previously negotiated pay increases. Bearing in mind that this deal was seen as paltry at the time and required a number of concessions by many work groups. Way to go Australia !!

12 hours ago, Midfielder said:

I am an eternal optimist and sometimes see signs of hope in gloom.

The coronavirus has shaken world economies. Australia is no exception.

Its difficult looking forward seeing international tourism, and overseas students returning to their pre coronavirus   levels and for that matter as new work practices are developed around working from home many cafes and small lunch food court business will not reopen.

I guess it means we need to find new or expand existing sectors to employ people.

This provides the Federal government with a huge challenge, the combination of lost tax revenue when added to future social security payments will place lots of pressure on the budget.

My gut is Federal government department advisers are looking to ways of both reducing our reliance on China exports and large and quick developments of other sectors.

Three iMO mega changes in policy have already taken place and each runs against what the current PM and government previous positions.

First, and yes its not far enough, but the statement to reduce coal and look to both alternative and gas projects with a big push into Hydrogen. To produce cheaper costs of power for industry.

Second a big boost to TAFE and re look at improving and directing courses to new work.

Third is the announced IR work with unions.

Just maybe, like with the coronavirus the Federal government is listening to its advisers.

I am a swinging voter, with a more say Liberal aspect, but aside from 1975 when Fraser won and last year when Shorten lost I have always voted for winning PM.

So Mo’s climate change stance and the liberal stance on CC overall, was the reason I switched.

But as an eternal optimist I can if nothing else see a federal government at least making mostly the right calls to date.

They made ok cals through Corona, they did largely listen to the experts (the thing they refuse to do for Climate) but the signs aren't looking good now. Arguably the federal government where somewhat dragged along by the states. Credit to Gladys she did lead on this one (and I'm far from a fan).

They refuse to back the Higher Ed sector through this, and given its Australias third biggest export industry, seems a very short sighted view, but their nutjob right faction sees higher education as some sort of breeding ground for communists. 

The overseas student numbers won't be what they were, but there is actually an opportunity here for Australia to do ok, as we open back up. If you are are a potential overseas student you aren't likely to go the UK or the US right now. Not to mention what the research of the big unis brings to the country.  

They now seem to be cyncially using the post Corona recovery as a way to bring their favourity ideolgical Industrial Relations policies in.

Yep this could all be the catalyst for some real change in society, but with a smirking moron from marketing backed by a bunch of ideology driven nutjobs, I can't see Australia making the most of it.

Gladys has also gone back to type too. Cutting the pay of the very people that got us through this mess.

15 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Gladys has also gone back to type too. Cutting the pay of the very people that got us through this mess.

As someone affected...I personally don't mind, tbh.

We in the public sector are more fortunate than most in current circumstances.

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

True, it's certainly one of the safer parts of the economy to be in

but it doesn't feel like much of a reward, to health care workers, bus drivers, train staff etc. who have kept things going and of course you teachers.

Have to say my kids school has been amazing throughout, how quickly they set up online learning and have interacted with the kids, with no time or budget is amazing. My kids teachers are ace, and the new principal has been fantastic too.

1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

but it doesn't feel like much of a reward, to health care workers, bus drivers, train staff etc. who have kept things going and of course you teachers.

Have to say my kids school has been amazing throughout, how quickly they set up online learning and have interacted with the kids, with no time or budget is amazing. My kids teachers are ace, and the new principal has been fantastic too.

Our school was absolutely innundated with appreciative emails from parents and carers on a daily basis all through this crisis.

Our principal was amazing, as were staff.

In many sectors and workplaces, the pandemic has brought out the best in people on the whole.

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Re reward...virtue is its own reward, as they say...altho it doesn't pay the bills.

I don't know what the grassroots reaction will be, but with so many out of work or underemployed, and suffering, it wouldn't sit well with me to be agitating about lack of a pay rise.

But many others might disagree. IDK.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Re reward...virtue is its own reward, as they say...altho it doesn't pay the bills.

I don't know what the grassroots reaction will be, but with so many out of work or underemployed, and suffering, it wouldn't sit well with me to be agitating about lack of a pay rise.

But many others might disagree. IDK.

The pay rise just keeps up with inflation, so in effect no payrise is a paycut. But given the state of the economy, inflation shold be relatively low.

BTW I'm not seeking any rise, I feel incredibly fortunate to get through this. 

More consious if you are a hospital worker on low wages, who has been going in to work despite the risk to yourself and family, this isn't much of a thank you.

While I'm on a rant those Teds in tory voting areas of england clapping the NHS works can do one too, you just voted for a bunch of a pay cuts to NHS workers, I suprised the nurses don't tell them to do one

Edited by StringerBellend

16 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Our school was absolutely innundated with appreciative emails from parents and carers on a daily basis all through this crisis.

Our principal was amazing, as were staff.

In many sectors and workplaces, the pandemic has brought out the best in people on the whole.

It has brought out the best, and the idealist in me hopes that some of it will stick on the other side, and we won't just go back to not giving a fck about others.

That said its to soon really to be talking about the other side, either health wise or economically.

In my current sector the big job losses are still to come, but they are coming. While the devestation of the small business that rely on it, is heart breaking. Coffee shops, cafes, caterers etc. 

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

I have nurses in my family...it's a kick in the teeth !

10 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I have nurses in my family...it's a kick in the teeth !

I'm not surprised to hear at that.

And with medical workers, the freeze doesn't seem at all fair.