wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

But isn't that the end game marron, that everyone answers to a HR type figure, where ones every action and spoken word is rated.

A wokeness grade.

HR consultancy is not about wokeness. It's about the bottom line for shareholders. An excellent way to run a society.

14 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Uni degrees in humanities etc will always be relevant, we have no idea what the jobs of the future will be. But they will require adaptable critical thinkers. This from an engineering graduate, why is me sticking up for you lot?

Ummm firstly what do you mean “you lot”? I may be a psychologist but I have a science degree With a major in maths, not an arts degree. 
And I agree that uni can teach analytical and critical thinking. It broadens the mind in many ways. And if this had happen 20 years ago I would be ropable. The issue these days is that university places are not hard to come by. Second and third round offers can go to people with ATARs that are barely over 50 and many people are starting degrees they have no capability of completing just building up debt. And I don’t want Australia to become one of those countries with highly trained people that never work in a profession close to what they studied. 

3 hours ago, Legionista said:

Wait is this 2007 and are we talking about Kevin Rudd's climate change policy?

No!

:P:P

2 hours ago, Cynth said:

Ummm firstly what do you mean “you lot”? I may be a psychologist but I have a science degree With a major in maths, not an arts degree. 
And I agree that uni can teach analytical and critical thinking. It broadens the mind in many ways. And if this had happen 20 years ago I would be ropable. The issue these days is that university places are not hard to come by. Second and third round offers can go to people with ATARs that are barely over 50 and many people are starting degrees they have no capability of completing just building up debt. And I don’t want Australia to become one of those countries with highly trained people that never work in a profession close to what they studied. 

Firstly sorry if I had offended it was genuinely a friendly joke, and afterwards in my paranoid way I worried that it would come across badly (And it did so at least I wasn’t paranoid).

Funny I think 20 Odd years ago I’d have been more fine with it, At least when I was at Uni, as I was probably very job focussed. The engineer types always had the look down on arts thing (not that I was .. much)

But I really had no idea what I wanted to do, and in the end did something related in part to my degree but not directly. When I graduated the internet was new ish thing, and I liked dicking around with computers during my degree (and hated all the real hardcore elec eng stuff) so I did that. I tell this as I think funneling kids at 17/18 into careers is ok for some (my Uk childhood friend only ever wanted to be a vet so repeated a levels over and over until he got in) but me no idea 

Trying to funnel kids into courses that are vocational based in my mind is wrong for a few reasons but even just economically its short sighted, we don’t know what the jobs of the future will be anyway.

The thing though that most gets me with it is it will disproportionately effect those with less money. If you are trying to use $ to influence kids decisions then those that are more sensitive to $ change will be impacted. The kiddies who’s parents are paying for the degree out of a trust fund aren’t going to change their decision based on a few k. So it’s further dividing society up rich can do law and arts, those that need to earn immediately its teaching, nursing, tech. 

If a young kiddie has the ability and the desire to do law they should be able to

the teachers on here will be more knowledgeable than me on this but kids who are highly gifted and interested in humanities, arts, law... might not necessarily cut out for STEM either by skill or interest, so surely this runs more risk of the half finished or half used degree.

on the low ATAR thing, and ease of getting into Uni, I really don’t know about low ATAR, this must be the smaller Unis

But from what I see the opportunity to go to the big Unis for those that aren’t from well off families is harder than ever. I’m not sure I could do what I did now. To be the token Westie in my course. Although on the flip side I guess I could now go to Uni far closer to home

I guess I’m against anything that reduces option, mobility and equality and this  does 

If they really want to promote STEM and boost numbers get out to the high schools in western suburbs and regional areas and Improve access to science, offer scholarships for first in family etc.

in short Dan Tehnan is a tit

4 hours ago, Legionista said:

But isn't that the end game marron, that everyone answers to a HR type figure, where ones every action and spoken word is rated.

A wokeness grade.

what are you talking about? do you only think in tweets?

3 hours ago, marron said:

HR consultancy is not about wokeness. It's about the bottom line for shareholders. An excellent way to run a society.

Has he had a job? My experience of HR people in corporates is not what this left wing wanker considers woke. 

Unless how to “manage somebody out” so we don’t have to give them redundancy is the new Woke

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Firstly sorry if I had offended it was genuinely a friendly joke, and afterwards in my paranoid way I worried that it would come across badly (And it did so at least I wasn’t paranoid).

There are people in here that can vouch that I have pretty thick skin. :D

9 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Why do Coalition politicians hate Industry Superannuation Funds? Because they take profits from Coalition donors

https://www.superguide.com.au/boost-your-superannuation/industry-funds-retail-funds-performance-comparison

they are aligned to Unions the Coalition don't like Unions much, as they tend to speak up for workers 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/24/beggars-belief-womens-office-excluded-from-talks-on-150m-scheme-to-boost-females-in-sport 

Goes on and on.. 

500k for womens changing rooms to a Rugby team, that doesn't have a women's team..

Queue but the Vic Libs branch stack replies

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

they are aligned to Unions the Coalition don't like Unions much, as they tend to speak up for workers 

Many are union and employer groups together on boards

Good new for independent journalism instead of the pigswill that the Murdoch's serve up

Australian Associated Press sold to consortium of investors and philanthropists at 11th hour https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/29/australian-associated-press-sold-to-consortium-of-investors-and-philanthropists-at-11th-hour?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

The crap approach by the conservatives on the NBN just gets my anger levels up to :xmad::nono::xmad:

'I often have to say, no': NBN structure means those who can least afford it pay the most http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-30/nbn-structure-means-those-who-can-least-afford-it-pay-the-most/12397884

And

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-29/nbn-nears-completion-was-it-value-for-money/12380050

F*** Murdoch and his conservative minions Abbott, Turnbull and Scumbo

I wonder aloud nay actually I do have have information in front of me or available to me to even pretend to determine if the following article is beyond foolish and raising the stakes or needed or is a wake up call..

What I can say is never in my life has are article scared me like this article has...

I repeat without knowing why this has been said now and having the information as to why its impossible to judge only assume the PM is taking advise from some very experienced people.

This article scares the **** out of me...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/dangerous-and-disorderly-pm-scott-morrisons-warning-on-postcovid-world/news-story/ff769cf2e430d6dcbfe118d1fdca442a

He's doing whatever the US tells him to do. Same as Howard.

Posted (edited)

When you decimate your own industries....ie manufacturing especially.....as a lot of corporate Aus did ( with the blessing of both major parties ) and go chasing the Chinese dollars so you can import and sell cheap(er) products via substantially lower wages in Chinese factories....... then you end up with the situation we are in today where the Chinese can do a lot of economic damage in a short period of time via trade or sanctions if you don't dance to their tune.

Edited by sonar

On 01/07/2020 at 12:03 AM, mack said:

He's doing whatever the US tells him to do. Same as Howard.

And with Labor China would be telling us what to do.

6 minutes ago, theseeker said:

This is their theme song.....

11 minutes ago, theseeker said:

.....and their campaign slogan.......

让中国再伟大

19 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Well they probably wouldn't be telling us to go along with foolish invasions, coups & bombings like the US has had us following them into the last 20 years.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, mack said:

Well they probably wouldn't be telling us to go along with foolish invasions, coups & bombings like the US has had us following them into the last 20 years.

Yeah , they would do great things for democracy - like what's happening in Hong Kong right now but maybe you have not heard  about it.

So for 20 years you must have a good memory , so you'd remember Tiananmen Square then ?. No ?

Edited by theseeker

10 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Yeah , they would do great things for democracy - like what's happening in Hong Kong right now but maybe you have not heard  about it.

So for 20 years you must have a good memory , so you'd remember Tiananmen Square then ?. No ?

You might need to have a quiet word with Trump......

"I want to thank President Xi, who is watching as we speak — and I’ll be going over to China in the not-too-distant future to reciprocate — but I want to thank President Xi, a very, very good friend of mine.".........

He doesn't seem to have gotten your memo.....lol

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-signing-u-s-china-phase-one-trade-agreement-2/

18 minutes ago, theseeker said:

I believe their police force also charges journalists for investigating dodgy **** their military does as well.

God help us if that should ever happen here.

24 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Last time I checked Australia wasn't involved in Tiananmen Square. Unlike Iraq where Howard jumped in with both feet so he could be the little dog deputy of Bush or Vietnam where we went "all the way with LBJ".

1 minute ago, mack said:

Last time I checked Australia wasn't involved in Tiananmen Square. Unlike Iraq where Howard jumped in with both feet so he could be the little dog deputy of Bush.

Ok , so bottom line you guys would obviously  much prefer Australia  to be " influenced " by Communist China than by the USA.

Vote for Labor and you can make it happen.......boy that would be fun !

In the reality of world affairs it's got to be one or the other of China or the USA.

6 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Ok , so bottom line you guys would obviously  much prefer Australia  to be " influenced " by Communist China than by the USA.

Vote for Labor and you can make it happen.......boy that would be fun !

In the reality of world affairs it's got to be one or the other of China or the USA.

We're already influenced by both of them, they are our 1st and 3rd largest trading partners.

24 minutes ago, mack said:

We're already influenced by both of them, they are our 1st and 3rd largest trading partners.

Haha .........nice switcheroo. You know we are talking political influence not trade.

I'd say from your hatred of the USA it's China for you.

I just prefer our country not to follow another country into disastrous military conflicts based on lies. If China start pressuring us to get involved in their conflicts you might have a point.