Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

It's difficult to know where to start with One Nation.

Almost everything they say, is based on crazy hear say, facts long left the building. A case in point that last year 230, 000 Muslims migrated to Australia. ... Given our total migrant intake was 190K I think, and that as of the last census there are roughly half a million Muslims in Australia its beyond crazy how they arrived at the 230K figure and only ""The Project""" pointed this out...

All that aside we are faced with two demons, first is a citizens right to free speech so long as it is within the laws, what then complicates the free speech argument is any laws introduced are effectively subjective judgements and subjective calls, essentially based on that persons value system.... Its a dangerous road to restrict free speech, and we have laws for defamation, hate speech etc already in place.... the core example used is you can't stand up in a crowd and shout fire..  More recently on a plane when in the air you can't stand up and shout "Hijack" .. So debate and critical analysis of statements made are needed, however this is mostly not done see the 230K claim by One Nation left unchallenged for yonks with without the current ABC show would have remained unchallenged. 

I don't know the answer, as how do you apply a person's right not to be offended when the person speaking has no idea... I worked with a teacher who was transferred to a desk for two and a half years for on the first night of a starting course at TAFE. To get everyone associated with each other as an ice breaker used to play a """What do you Know Game""" . His method was to put students into different teams.... He had a Red, Blue, White, Green etc and one team was a purple team.... He put a student in the purple team which brought ""genuine tears, genuine shame, genuine outrage"" at being placed in the purple team.. the student made official complaints about the racist teacher placing her in the purple team... The issues was a female student in her country the colour purple when applied to a woman,-  meant she was a whore, and the worst kind of whore.... the system was incapable of accepting what she was saying was true from her perspective, equalling it was impossible to accept how could the teacher know this in advance..

So all I am saying is selective judgements are always difficult, and it hugely depends on your back ground as  to what is proper speech or not. 

As I said I have no idea what the answer is other than if you make statements like One Nation then don't cry when you views and value system are challenged and debunked.

Second is the media, If 7, 9 as an example still allow One Nation air time to express their views, then the question must be asked why, and thats simple as she rates.... When does our media say this group as so vile and so wrong and cause so much trouble, that we will give them no air time...

So will Sunrise still get One Nation on air to discuss things.... If the media simply did not put One Nation to air then they would disappear almost overnight.... so where is the moral leadership of our media... 

42 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

Almost everything they say, is based on crazy hear say, facts long left the building. A case in point that last year 230, 000 Muslims migrated to Australia. ... Given our total migrant intake was 190K I think, and that as of the last census there are roughly half a million Muslims in Australia its beyond crazy how they arrived at the 230K figure and only ""The Project""" pointed this out...

All that aside we are faced with two demons, first is a citizens right to free speech so long as it is within the laws, what then complicates the free speech argument is any laws introduced are effectively subjective judgements and subjective calls, essentially based on that persons value system.... Its a dangerous road to restrict free speech, and we have laws for defamation, hate speech etc already in place.... the core example used is you can't stand up in a crowd and shout fire..  More recently on a plane when in the air you can't stand up and shout "Hijack" .. So debate and critical analysis of statements made are needed, however this is mostly not done see the 230K claim by One Nation left unchallenged for yonks with without the current ABC show would have remained unchallenged. 

I don't know the answer, as how do you apply a person's right not to be offended when the person speaking has no idea... I worked with a teacher who was transferred to a desk for two and a half years for on the first night of a starting course at TAFE. To get everyone associated with each other as an ice breaker used to play a """What do you Know Game""" . His method was to put students into different teams.... He had a Red, Blue, White, Green etc and one team was a purple team.... He put a student in the purple team which brought ""genuine tears, genuine shame, genuine outrage"" at being placed in the purple team.. the student made official complaints about the racist teacher placing her in the purple team... The issues was a female student in her country the colour purple when applied to a woman,-  meant she was a whore, and the worst kind of whore.... the system was incapable of accepting what she was saying was true from her perspective, equalling it was impossible to accept how could the teacher know this in advance..

So all I am saying is selective judgements are always difficult, and it hugely depends on your back ground as  to what is proper speech or not. 

As I said I have no idea what the answer is other than if you make statements like One Nation then don't cry when you views and value system are challenged and debunked.

Second is the media, If 7, 9 as an example still allow One Nation air time to express their views, then the question must be asked why, and thats simple as she rates.... When does our media say this group as so vile and so wrong and cause so much trouble, that we will give them no air time...

So will Sunrise still get One Nation on air to discuss things.... If the media simply did not put One Nation to air then they would disappear almost overnight.... so where is the moral leadership of our media... 

Good stuff Mid.

Only thing I'd offer a contrary comment on is Australia has no constitutional guarantees for or protection of 'free speech'. In terms of 'restricting free speech' I would argue that what is a more powerful and appropriate argument we should have a concern for empowering responsible speech. Just as you argue, there are laws that ensure that defamation & utterances that can or will cause violence are restricted or prohibited, and that is how it should be in a general sense. When you have raving shithead extremists of any type suggesting things like a partially dressed woman is like uncovered meat, or the Port Arthur shootings were a government inspired conspiracy, then they need to be called out for the types of hate speech that they are. As taught through the Civics course I deliver in schools with rights come responsibilities, and as it stands the drive to emphasis the former (whether substantive or not) is surpassing the need to focus on the latter as much, if not more so.

As for the complicity of the media (both mainstream and new/digital etc) in the upswing in hate speech etc, of course it is all down to ratings and revenue streams. This sketch from 'Get Krackin' nails it

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=242113943254380

4 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Well said Midi.

Our club would have to be one of the most multicultural in the league.

I only have two words for One Nation......F*** O**

13 minutes ago, sonar said:

Well said Midi.

Thank you all for exercising your free speech. 

I see that One Nations statement today took a leaf out of Trumps book by claiming the media are fake and conspiring against them. It seems what we see with our own eyes and ears is wrong. 

They must be denounced and media outlets have to be responsible with their programming and not give them free reign and access to publicity (that was the US’s mistake with Trump) but that’s as far as limitations on free speech should go I imagine. 

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Well said Midi.

Just a reminder that even in our own multicultural supporter base there are those that support & echo her words & ideas. 

40 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

she is pretty use to this but pauline hanson keeps upping herself in making a fool of herself, she is a complete moron and shows it more every day

Hate to say this but whilst she may be inarticulate, a crank peddling moronic conspiracy theories and both socially and intellectually challenged, she is not a complete fool. The fact she has accessed and exploited a small but politically potent segment of the Australian population that agrees with her, that approve of her racist policies, her fear mongering and her inane political 'ideas' shows she is now fool. Even her aggressive anti-intellectualism and her public persona of being an outlier who is persecuted by those smarter than her is an indication of how she isn't a fool. 

The problem with any and all of these extreme right wing populists and demagogues is that time and time again those who write off the likes of Hanson, or think they can be controlled or brought into the mainstream are (as shown by history) often wrong at the risk of invoking Godwin's' Law, Hitler peddled crackpot theories and repeatedly issued lies, or spoke on things he was ignorant of. However he (like Hanson) knew what worked with his audience and also knew that he was propagating his political image by playing up to an anti-intellectual and racist element within his society.

17 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Just a reminder that even in our own multicultural supporter base there are those that support & echo her words & ideas. 

I don't disagree and I'm not trying to dismiss what you are saying but I would think I would be safe in saying the numbers would be in the small minority. As voting is via a secret ballot I guess we will never know.. 

Edited by sonar
31 minutes ago, sonar said:

I don't disagree and I'm not trying to dismiss what you are saying but I would think I would be safe in saying the numbers would be in the small minority. As voting is via a secret ballot I guess we will never know.. 

You'd have to think that it'd be in the range of about 3-5%, based on the results from the recent state election. It may be skewed by the Anglo support for Pauline's arseclowns in western Sydney being potentially not part of the club's supporter base. However even 1% should do people's head in when one considers the multicultural base of our code. It's like being a vegan who enjoys working as a butcher :ninja:

17 hours ago, Cynth said:

Thank you all for exercising your free speech. 

I see that One Nations statement today took a leaf out of Trumps book by claiming the media are fake and conspiring against them. It seems what we see with our own eyes and ears is wrong. 

They must be denounced and media outlets have to be responsible with their programming and not give them free reign and access to publicity (that was the US’s mistake with Trump) but that’s as far as limitations on free speech should go I imagine. 

I’m glad Al Jezzera exposed them.

As you walk or drive past any primary school in this country ask yourself this question ……. As a citizen do you want to see our kindergarten kids having to do shooters drills to the tune of twinkle twinkle little star …..?
Hanson can try and explain it away but finally her and her party have been exposed for the charlatans they are.

If Hanson or Barnaby or anyone else thinks they will change our gun laws they have another thing coming.

Just now, LeeMarvin said:

I particularly despise the human race.  Does that count?

lol so do i but i have radical opinions such as everyone coming to Australia(White, Asian, Black, Indian ect) should at least attempt to speak English at least basic English because a unified language is so important but that is racist to some here :P 

i do understand there are some circumstances where they shouldnt even try, if a 90 year old grandmother comes over to Australia i dont expect her to sign up for English classes but i do believe everyone speaking the same language is important, same thing as i believe everyone moving to Japan should at least attempt to learn basic Japanese

that said if i move to germany i can pretty much get around without knowing any german because a lot of people speak English so you could make an argument that Australia should be more focused on teaching other languages so most people in Australia are decent in a different language but either way i think a universal language is important and some people on here see that as racist, still those same people who see it as racist refuse to look at both sides and love their own echo chamber where they can just have their own opinion reinforced over and over without any consideration for other idea's  

41 minutes ago, Carns said:

You're definitely the poster boy for One Nation. You and Pauline have so much in common.

I remembered in the 90s she targeted Asians. I was in primary school and I still remember our whole class (full of Asians) got kicked out of parliament when we went to an excursion to Canberra. We saw Pauline through the glass window so we call stamped out feet and banged on the window calling her names.

Now she targeting whatever group that decides to come here to have a better life. I don't like her.

Here is where I differ from most of you here on the forum. In my opinion she has the right to spew whatever nonsense she wants. I don't believe she should be 'shut down'.

For all my life I lived and breathed 'multi-culture'. I grew up in Cabramatta with the Vietnamese community and now I live in Fairfield with the new Australians. I have integrated into the Australian culture and have embraced and respect all cultures as long they don't do any harm.

It's funny how people who live in the inner/north west 'embrace' this stuff yet never stepped foot in these areas. Sorry but you don't speak for us and we don't need you to defend us because we can do that on our own.

Which brings me to my point about this forum and I am going to call out because that is what we do now days aye?

The people here on this forum like being diverse and inclusive but that is only when it suits you guys here.

Open minded when it suits you and alienate people with different views/opinions.

I have seen in the past few posts the loveliest person in the world who has a heart of gold, a dear friend of mine have been **** on just because that person shared something you guys don't agree. Did not even bother with viewing the video and replied anyway to **** on the video.

So much for this being a 'forum'. More like an echo chamber.

If people don't want to associate with me because my differing view . That's your problem but I still like you people here.

Edited by thefairy
32 minutes ago, thefairy said:

I remembered in the 90s she targeted Asians. I was in primary school and I still remember our whole class (full of Asians) got kicked out of parliament when we went to an excursion to Canberra. We saw Pauline through the glass window so we call stamped out feet and banged on the window calling her names.

Now she targeting whatever group that decides to come here to have a better life. I don't like her.

Here is where I differ from most of you here on the forum. In my opinion she has the right to spew whatever nonsense she wants. I don't believe she should be 'shut down'.

For all my life I lived and breathed 'multi-culture'. I grew up in Cabramatta with the Vietnamese community and now I live in Fairfield with the new Australians. I have integrated into the Australian culture and have embraced and respect all cultures as long they don't do any harm.

It's funny how people who live in the inner/north west 'embrace' this stuff yet never stepped foot in these areas. Sorry but you don't speak for us and we don't need you to defend us because we can do that on our own.

When the rhetoric she sprouts encourages a nutter to go to another country and kill innocent people then I will do EVERYTHING in my power short of violence to shut her and her ilk down.

I don't live in the inner west I live out Penrith way. and there are those out my way, unlike yourself, that feel powerless to stop the racism and bigotry that is directed against them for no other reason because of their race....colour....religion. 

Racism and bigotry and those that oppose it know that it isn't confined to a postcode........... it comes from within....

Edited by sonar
18 minutes ago, sonar said:

When the rhetoric she sprouts encourages a nutter to go to another country and kill innocent people then I will do EVERYTHING in my power short of violence to shut her and her ilk down.

I don't live in the inner west I live out Penrith way. and there are those out my way, unlike yourself, that feel powerless to stop the racism and bigotry that is directed against them for no other reason because of their race....colour....religion. 

Racism and bigotry and those that oppose it know that it isn't confined to a postcode........... it comes from within....

ok. encourage?? really?? 

unless you can show me evidence she encouraged people to kill muslim i dont believe u

14 minutes ago, thefairy said:

ok. encourage?? really?? 

unless you can show me evidence she encouraged people to kill muslim i dont believe u

I can post literally hundreds of articles where it is proven that the rhetoric like that used by Hanson incites violence against race......religion etc ........but to be honest I couldn't be @rsed arguing with you....it would end up being an argument with no end....but I still like you...:xnod:

Edited by sonar
8 minutes ago, sonar said:

I can post literally hundreds of articles where it is proven that the rhetoric like that used by Hanson incites violence against race......religion etc ........but to be honest I couldn't be @rsed arguing with you....it would end up being an argument with no end....but I still like you...:xnod:

I like you too buddy and if I ever met you like anyone else on this forum. Beers on me buddy! 

I don't find a problem in arguing. I rather we be truthful. That matters to me the most.

4 minutes ago, thefairy said:

I like you too buddy and if I ever met you like anyone else on this forum. Beers on me buddy! 

I don't find a problem in arguing. I rather we be truthful. That matters to me the most.

It's  all good as fars as I'm concerned. You want the truth but is that your truth or mine...?.....lol

https://www.coe.int/en/web/european-commission-against-racism-and-intolerance/hate-speech-and-violence

............ If left unaddressed, it can lead to acts of violence and conflict on a wider scale. In this sense hate speech is an extreme form of intolerance which contributes to hate crime..........

Edited by sonar
27 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's  all good as fars as I'm concerned. You want the truth but is that your truth or mine...?.....lol

https://www.coe.int/en/web/european-commission-against-racism-and-intolerance/hate-speech-and-violence

............ If left unaddressed, it can lead to acts of violence and conflict on a wider scale. In this sense hate speech is an extreme form of intolerance which contributes to hate crime..........

I am open to ideas and I need to be convinced.

I have a question. Would you consider MLK's 'I have a dream' hate speech? did it incite violence?

1 hour ago, thefairy said:

I strongly disagree.

Australia is dangerously naive. Free speech is a theoretical concept that, when left lingering, has practical consequences. I heard a Kathleen Belew interview on RN only yesterday, she was talking about her book "bring the war home". Her view: there is a global white power movement out there that believes that white men are at war with everything not white. That's exactly what we are talking about here. The "nonsense" that you would allow through unfiltered are part of the war cries. They are not just words.

For centuries Christian and Orthodox Churches have been saying all sorts of lovely things about Islam and Judaism, and European history is littered with pogroms as a result. Nazi Germany officially referred to Jews as "parasites", official Hutu politicians in Rwanda were referring to Tutsi as "cockroaches". Over years, that kind of nonsense reduced people to things, to something subhuman. We know the consequences.

And here is Auntie Pauline: "Islam is a disease; we need to vaccinate ourselves against that." Well well.  Via Christchurch we just go a glimpse what can happen next, and considering human history, no one can be surprised. Unless, of course, you are naive enough to ignore history.  Like Ch7 and 9 who give oxygen to a white supremacist, treat a fringe dweller as if she represents the mainstream. They may as well invite a neo nazi.

That kind of oxygen supply needs to be turned off.

32 minutes ago, thefairy said:

I am open to ideas and I need to be convinced.

I have a question. Would you consider MLK's 'I have a dream' hate speech? did it incite violence?

Here is an idea for you to give you some perspective.

Have you ever stood in front of a concentration camp which has a sign "Arbeit macht frei" at the entrance gate? Have you ever stood on the same soil were thousands of people were worked, beaten and tortured to death? Do you think that those who were surrounded by barbed wire were entitled to have a dream? Do you think that It was their right to fight for their dream, as they did in Warsaw Ghetto and Sobibor?

We have been witnessing riots happening in Villawood, Nauru, Manus Island. Were they acts of violence, are acts of standing up to the oppressor?

1 hour ago, thefairy said:

ok. encourage?? really?? 

"Islam is a disease; we need to vaccinate ourselves against that

do you think that’s acceptable from an Australian senator?

I don’t this form of “free speech” has consequences that we have just seen 

I disagree with you but we should do that over a beer

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic