Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

wendybr

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

I LIKE him...but he's  not a PM imo.

He has no charisma. And like it or not, people want someone with a bit of charisma.

if we are going to be expecting someone with charisma then i think we are aiming a bit too high :P that said Tanya is pretty good i would be happy with either of them

The whole concept of polling died this evening. Not just public polls, but also the polls conducted by the parties. The bookies got it totally wrong as well. Queensland turned into Shorten's graveyard, how no one saw that coming is just astonishing. 

Well...we'd be none be the poorer if you're right...and if the whole concept of polling is abandoned as something that drives political policies and decisions.

47 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I LIKE him...but he's  not a PM imo.

He has no charisma. And like it or not, people want someone with a bit of charisma.

I don't agree with Wendy, otherwise how do you explain ScoMo getting back into government. At the end of the day the people of Australia didn't like what Bill was selling. Does charisma help, sure it does, but I would put policy and how they sell that policy above all else. 

But doesnt selling policy, especially change, take charisma...and confidence...and the ability to inspire trust and confidence in the people?

Maybe things are good enough for most people for them not to want anything to change.

I wouldn't  have thought so, but maybe most people are happy enough, and have enough of what they want and need.

Re ScoMo...he has a much more relaxed, natural, comfortable ability to present himself. I think for a daggy, suburban dad-type figure he sort of developed a degree of charisma.

As for selling policies...well...I must have missed that.

All I saw him doing was kicking footballs, baking cakes...donning hard hats and slapping factory workers on the back...downing beers...making coffee ...shearing sheep...etc

Oh..and reopening detention centres.

Actually...Re opinion polls...

Labor won every one of them for three years, but as far as I know,  Shorten didn't win one as preferred PM.

Maybe that was the only one to bear in mind??

Too stupid if true, but maybe...

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Shorten didn't win one as preferred PM.

He won one the week after Morrison knifed Turnbull. Opposition leaders rarely win preferred PM anyway.

The 2PP polls for 3 years had Labor winning. Even the day of the election it was still 51.5 to 48.5. The internal party polling for both sides were all saying Labor win.

The polls were not worth a damn in the end.

I wonder if your mate Pie will make a video about it. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, ACTUAL POLICY. WELL **** ME THAT DIDN'T WORK DID IT. TYPICAL ******* LEFT GOING ON AND ON ABOUT POLICIES THAT MIGHT ACTUALLY HELP THE PLANET! FAT LOAD OF GOOD THAT DID!" This is the exact type of campaign he wants the left to run and it got them mauled.

3 minutes ago, mack said:

He won one the week after Morrison knifed Turnbull.

Oh...lol.

So that didn't last long. 

Kevin07 rolled Howard. Shorten knifed Rudd, and Gillard took over. Shorten switched sides again, and Gillard copped a bullet right between they eyes, and rudd returned. The mad monk was crowned, polled poorly, and turnbull took charge. Abbott and Dutton finished off turnbull because they could, but turnbull outfoxed them and helped ScoMo into the lodge. Abbott was retired this evening, and so was shorten. All the main figures who made a mockery of the parliament and the office of prime minister for ten years are now gone, and that's probably for the best. What's left are murdoch and dutton.

One can only wonder what could have been had howard taken his hat in 2006 and make space for Costello. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

Clive Palmer wastes $80m and gets nothing for it...Anning gone...Tony Abbott gone...

A few positives I guess.

Palmer heavily advertised....totally negative against Labor.....cost them votes......especially in Qld.....job done. He was the main finacier for the LNP. He wants the govt to put in rail lines for his mines.........watch this space. The Greens and their anti=Adani convoy went over like a lead ballon.....9% swings to the Libs in seats they visited. 

I won't put here what I really think of him....I'll most probably get sued...:D

Edited by sonar

The Australian public has voted for an empty agenda over a detailed policy platform. And in the end Clive Palmer was the downfall of Bill Shorten esp. in Queensland, There wasn’t a swing to Liberals, the swing away from Labour appears to have gone to Clive. I think I live in a society that I don’t like right now...:(

As for my own electorate of Lindsay...... :(

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/federal-election-2019-labor-defeat-is-humiliating/news-story/4cadec03271d70e14280e2846255ced4

2 minutes ago, Cynth said:

The Australian public has voted for an empty agenda over a detailed policy platform. And in the end Clive Palmer was the downfall of Bill Shorten esp. in Queensland, There wasn’t a swing to Liberals, the swing away from Labour appears to have gone to Clive. I think I live in a society that I don’t like right now...:(

https://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/federal-election-2019-labor-defeat-is-humiliating/news-story/4cadec03271d70e14280e2846255ced4

In Qld the mining seats swung to the Libs via preferences

My seat as well Cynth...........:sorry:.....

Edited by sonar
10 hours ago, FCB said:

The whole concept of polling died this evening. Not just public polls, but also the polls conducted by the parties. The bookies got it totally wrong as well. Queensland turned into Shorten's graveyard, how no one saw that coming is just astonishing. 

not quite as extreme but reminds me of when trump won, no one expected it but he somehow managed it

17 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

not quite as extreme but reminds me of when trump won, no one expected it but he somehow managed it

Trump winning was not unexpected by many. Its just the media and others associated with the democrats were looking the wrong way and in their own bubble to stop it, and to address why it was happening.

If discussions to beat extreme views are not held from the centre ground then history shows you will have trouble.

Edited by Smoggy
2 hours ago, Cynth said:

Cynth, like it or not, that's the world we live in.

18 months ago I spoke to a coal enthusiast from the Hunter, and it was an astonishing encounter. His priority was that his children could work in the same industry that he was working in (coal mining). Not only was he not interested in solar power, he was strongly against it, and he said, quite matter of fact, that if sea levels were to rise then "people just have to relocate".

Rural Australia ticks very differently to bigger cities, and as of last night we know what that looks like. I believe that this "after me the deluge" mindset was at play yesterday. That pollsters, media, bookies and Labor missed what the mood is like in Queensland and WA is baffling.

Also, that we went from a 52:48 Labor lead as announced on Ch9 at 5pm to a Liberal majority makes a mockery of polling. One could argue that we've been mislead for years, and that arguably four prime ministers (Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turnbull) lost their jobs partially because of meaningless polls.

We now know that the only poll that counts is the election itself. Bob Hawke spared himself a major heartache.  

14 hours ago, wendybr said:

Wasn't only Get Up over there at all...but they did us all a favour imo.

Might be the only bright spot in the election.

They did Morrison as a massive favour he gets rid of Abbott with no blood on his hands. Northern Beaches types get to feel better about themselves (see the Wentworth bye election for eastern suburbs types feeling better about themselves). 

She supports the government so what policy will actually change?

oh well they all keep their franking credits

**** if the election of a Liberal (in all but party) posh private school, holidays in France skier who supports government tax agenda is seen as a victory by the left we are truely ****ed 

(we are truely ****ed)

17 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

For once I agree 

Except Legia was being ironic, of course. 😉

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

(we are truely ****ed)

Yep.

Pretty much agree with all you said above...but I'd rather listen to ZS than TA....any day.

14 hours ago, FCB said:

One can only wonder what could have been had howard taken his hat in 2006 and make space for Costello. Oh well. 

What a horrid notion FBC.

What would you think would have happened?

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic