wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Oh dear Mack!

Time will tell...but we may have reached some tipping points in three years time (hopefully not those ecologcal tipping points :(:() that will swing the pendulum back. And the pendulum effect is pretty consistent.

PS Not Albo...please.

Not Chris Bowen (sorry Cynth)

I cannot see either of them as Prime Ministerial. They just are not. I like them, but ..no.

I really,realy admire and like Tanya, but I'm not sure how she'd handle shearing a sheep or downing a schooner in outback Queensland.. lololol.

Someone  new, articulate and with charisma. 3 years is plenty long enough to establish a relationship with the public.

Thoughts..... anyone??

5 hours ago, Legionista said:

Where did it go wrong for Labor?

Thinking that redistribution of wealth is a policy middle Australia will accept.

If Labor push a female leader they lose in 3 years. Penny Wong has repeatedly said she isn't interested in the leadership and I bet it's less about her not wanting to be a leader or thinking she isn't qualified, but that she knows it's a losing proposition. Time to face facts and admit the country isn't ready for another female PM.

25 minutes ago, wendybr said:

PS Not Albo...please.

I cannot see either of them as Prime Ministerial. They just are not. I like them, but ..no.

I really,realy admire and like Tanya, but I'm not sure how she'd handle shearing a sheep or downing a schooner in outback Queensland.. lololol.

Someone  new, articulate and with charisma. 3 years is plenty long enough to establish a relationship with the public.

Thoughts..... anyone??

Penny Wong but she has to leave the senate ..

I am a huge believer in climate change, and am so disappointed in the ALP for the campaign they ran. 

IMO the ALP ran close to the worst campaign I have ever seen at a federal level, they simply assumed they would win and totally f**ked it up.

Sure News did not help, but some of their polices and statements were IMO flawed.

Also gotta say the Morrison did an amazing job the way he went about things.... 

Someone please correct me but I think the ALP primary vote was 29% or something like that and if true they are in deep trouble and need to a party of the people and arguably go into coalition  with the greens. 

Whats unbelievably sad is the country was ready for a change in government, all the ALP had to do was to offer more sensible polices 

6 hours ago, mack said:

One Nation have got 22% of the vote in the Hunter seat along with Palmer getting 4%. One Nation are only 2% away from beating the Nationals to 2nd place. Labor lost 14% of their primary vote. Are they that racist and hateful in Newcastle? It's turned what used to be an very safe Labor seat into a marginal one.

How is Labor meant to counter this? 25% of an electorate that includes parts of a large city and several decent sized towns, voting for a set of far-right charlatans. Nationwide 800,000+ people have voted for One Nation, Palmer or Anning's Nazi Party. If you include Katter, the handful of Christian Parties and the handful of far-right parties that get 10k to 30k votes there's nearly as many people voting for what are factually racist or bigoted parties as people voting Greens.

In 3 years what's stopping it happening again? Does Albo need to start wearing a Cronulla cape (irony) and start telling immigrants to "**** off we're full" before they have another chance?

Policy areas that are effectively no go zones now include:

• Letting Queensland annihilate their tourism industry by killing the Barrier Reef in favour of the much smaller mining industry that offshores all the profits anyway.
  • Anything that allows a scare campaign on lowering housing prices. Governments are no longer allowed to do anything but keep fuelling the housing bubble. Capital Gains, Negative Gearing are now untouchable. Anything that risks lowering housing prices will get an immense screaming negative scare campaign from baby boomers, the real estate & construction industries and the banks.
  • Anything that might be seen to cause the reserve bank interest rate to rise.
  • Offshoring profits.
  • Family trusts.
  • Carbon Pollution/Environment.
  • Company Car/Executive Perk tax breaks.
  • Franking credits.
  • Banking reform.
  • Anything that might not "stop the boats".
  • Anything that might make them look "soft on crime".
  • Bringing back penalty rates (they'll be gone before the next election) because it makes them look "controlled by unions".
  • Never "doing deals" with the Greens.
  • Not having too much "identity politics".
  • Protection against discrimination for LGBT people.
  • Never ever ever EVER having another deficit. Labor is no longer allowed to do a deficit because they'll be turfed out immediately.
  • Never changing leaders again between elections.

And with all that, they still need to find someone "likeable" that a bogan in Queensland can 'have a beer with' because now we know that's as important as having actual policy.

What's even left to campaign over? In 3 years the tax system will be wrecked, company tax will be bought down to 25% or lower, Gina Reinhart will probably get her wish for a special North Australia tax zone to screw it even further, ATO will be practically banned from chasing the rich & major companies and start "robodebting" the poor, none of the ballooning costs of negative gearing or franking credits will be touched, penalty rates will be long gone and the minimum wage reduced or frozen, Unions will be bashed and attacked for 3 years, public services will be slashed in ideologically driven austerity and anything that can be sold off will be and they won't be able to refund them because they'll cause a deficit that gets them booted out in 3 years.

The next campaign will be nothing but "hey our leader is a top bloke he'll have a beer with you he's a more top bloke than Morrison" and then what, try to push some minor reforms in your first year before switching to "save money for year 3 bribes"? What a pathetic situation.

Mack, based on a brief polite on my behalf engagement with the Jets fan forum, I'd have to say they are.  I made a serious recruitment suggestion based on my opinion of a certain player and got literally torn to shreds by a couple of them. 

All the best next season guys. Obviously there's something seriously wrong in certain parts of this country.

Mack, I hear you. We are turning into the US between now and the next election. Like I said, I am done. Why should I care about the environment if no one else does? Why should I care about public services when I don’t need to use them? Seems caring is a commodity no one can afford. 

The next leader Wendy? Can’t think of one person. Not one. 

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

PS Not Albo...please.

Thoughts..... anyone??

I personally think Albo is the best chance the ALP have of winning the next election. You need someone the typical Aussie can relate to.

I don't think Tanya Plibersek and Chris Bowen fit into that category unfortunately.

My personal favourite is Penny Wong but she also doesn't fit in to the correct image.

10 minutes ago, papersun said:

I personally think Albo is the best chance the ALP have of winning the next election. You need someone the typical Aussie can relate to.

I don't think Tanya Plibersek and Chris Bowen fit into that category unfortunately.

My personal favourite is Penny Wong but she also doesn't fit in to the correct image.

Given the votes to openly homophobic and racist parties, I unfortunately can’t see Penny Wong as prime minister 

I think we can all agree this weekend has been exceptionally crap - first the election result, and then ESFC winning the Post-Season Cup, and Queen Kate being robbed at Eurovision

Ruined both my Saturday and Sunday. 

7 hours ago, Flytox said:

Thinking that redistribution of wealth is a policy middle Australia will accept.

I think this sums it up. 

The ALP ran a 'big target' campaign with a lot of ideas which were costed. But this scared most of the populace. I believe people want to take action on climate change but not when it could cost them something in the short term.

39 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Given the votes to openly homophobic and racist parties, I unfortunately can’t see Penny Wong as prime minister 

She is by far the most intelligent of the bunch i suspect. But you are right in that she would not get wide support.

Mack is on the money.

While there has been talk about global issues and it's effects on Australia for quite some time, Australia's underbelly moved to the right in numbers, seemingly unnoticed, and is becoming increasingly insular.

History books well and truly seem to have gone out of fashion. Hanson and Palmer have zero credibility, but people vote for them regardless. We have guys in Australian politics who would do the Hitler-party of the 1930ies proud, but votes they got.

ScoMo can now assume control of the party, and a Morrison led government has a mandate to do as they please. He is a staunch conservative, yet people see him as a moderate. The opportunities to turn back the clocks are seemingly endless. Much will depend on how plays all of this. A worst case scenario is that we end up with a situation like in the USA, with two nations within the state who are hostile towards each other.

The neo liberalism that Murdoch, Thatcher and Reagan gave birth to in the late 1970ies is now firmly in place: we are no longer living in a society but in an economy. People act/think/vote accordingly. Humanitarian and human issues don't matter that much. Unless there is a sense emerging that jobs are good, but not at any cost, Labor will be in the wilderness for a very long time.

There is only one antidote to this: those who have a different view to become politically active.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

She is by far the most intelligent of the bunch i suspect. But you are right in that she would not get wide support.

She is  the most intelligent, that’s another factor working against her in Qld 

Edited by StringerBellend

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Can't win anything atm. ^_^

Copied from another thread.

I can't say the same. Excellent election result on the weekend both locally and national.

5 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I can't say the same. Excellent election result on the weekend both locally and national.

Time will tell, but I hope you are right.  I thought long and hard and decided I couldn't in good faith endorse any of the candidates on offer.  Stayed home and got drunk instead.  Ready to cop the fine.

I do however commend you for having the balls to express a point of view that seems to be overwhelmingly in the minority on this forum, considering the propensity of some "Progressives" for ad hominem attacks on those that deviate from the mandated orthodoxy.

22 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I'm assuming you're in Lindsay Ed...?

It's a funny electorate.Basically two halves....East of The Northern Rd and West of Northern Road. 

The majority of booths East of The Northern Road and Parker Street, based on individual polling booths, voted for the ALP. The Western half voted Lib......Do you live the rogue western half ....?..........:D

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

She is  the most intelligent, that’s another factor working against her in Qld 

I was going to do a laughing face response to this. But sadly it is true.

If only the world was as progressive and intelligent as WSW supporters ( haven't read facebook for a while) lol

Edited by Smoggy

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

I'm assuming you're in Lindsay Ed...?

It's a funny electorate.Basically two halves....East of The Northern Rd and West of Northern Road. 

The majority of booths East of The Northern Road and Parker Street, based on individual polling booths, voted for the ALP. The Western half voted Lib......Do you live the rogue western half ....?..........:D

Yeah, I'm a real westie!

4 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Yeah, I'm a real westie!

:D

Fwiw....we all get to have a say and in the end thats a good thing.........whether you agree with a certain party and it's policies or not. The thing is to not get angry with people over how they voted but to engage in respectful debate and not go down the path of personal abuse. I find people trying to egg the PM or whoever totally stupid,counter productive and divisive. Have your say, do it peacefully.

The biggest satisfaction for me is Abbott is gone and it's a pity Dutton didn't go with him.......:ninja:

45 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

You are an ongoing disappointment...

10 hours ago, mack said:

If Labor push a female leader they lose in 3 years. Penny Wong has repeatedly said she isn't interested in the leadership and I bet it's less about her not wanting to be a leader or thinking she isn't qualified, but that she knows it's a losing proposition. Time to face facts and admit the country isn't ready for another female PM.

I don't dispute that.

Pathetic as it is that gender matters here, when elsewhere, it hasn't.

2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I think we can all agree this weekend has been exceptionally crap - first the election result, and then ESFC winning the Post-Season Cup, and Queen Kate being robbed at Eurovision

Ruined both my Saturday and Sunday. 

I didn't dare mention Eurovision here  -lol...which I actually did watch this time round.

Not sure that we'll ever win Euro - seems a bit silly to me ...but she did well anyway.

Yeah - 3/3 disappointments.

3 hours ago, papersun said:

Idk about your first statement there.

I see him as being about the same as a Kim Beasley. Lovely bloke, true believer...but not a confidence inspiring leader. The voice is not right.

I KNOW this is shallow, but I think we ARE shallow as a collective, to be honest.

Part of Shorten's problem was that he seemed sort of timid, didn't inspire confidence, didn't have charisma, and couldn't inspire as an orator. His concession speech was good in WHAT he said, but there's something wrong with HOW he speaks...and not just the obvious flaw.

A leader has to be a powerful person - with swagger. I personally don't like these sorts of people, but that's what you need in a leader.

Our PMs have either had this quality, or not...and those who are remembered as 'great', all had it - Gough, Hawke, Keating.

Howard is an exception - but I never understood how he was/is put on a pedestal. And I guess he could forcefully belt out a message when he needed to.

Albo looks as though he chewing on his tongue every time he speaks.

I can't see it.

Some of the younger people? Jim Chalmers ( a Queenslander) was suggested on the Insiders.

I don't know him well, but some of that newer crop of MPs, I hope have a chance for consideration. New blood is needed imho.

And 3 years is plenty long enough to establish a new leader in the minds of the public.

PS You will return to the battle Cynth. It won't be in you to give up and not care for long. :grouphug:

Albo would have been my choice five years ago. Raised by a single mum, knows what it's like to be poor.

Shorten came with rudd/gillard baggage, it was always going to be an uphill battle for him. I have been wondering if people could make themselves voting for him after getting out of bed on election day. We know the answer. 

Labor doesn't need a messiah. They need someone who knows how to apply pressure as opposition leader, and rally the troops. But more than anything else labor needs to be present in their electorates, be out there, and listen to what people have to say. 

Once people feel understood things start to happen. It's not that hard. Pauline Hanson gets it. She learned that skill when selling fish'n'chips. 

11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Part of Shorten's problem was that he seemed sort of timid, didn't inspire confidence, didn't have charisma, and couldn't inspire as an orator

Or to put it from another perspective - he came across as shifty and not credible.  What was being marketed as a plan was really just travelling around and promising all things to everyone.  The electorate saw through that.  Not saying that Scomo is at all inspiring, but maybe people just weren't convinced to take the leap of faith.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Ditto.

18 minutes ago, FCB said:

Albo would have been my choice five years ago. Raised by a single mum, knows what it's like to be poor.

Yes.... but now?

The old base of "the battlers" is only part of who Labor has to appeal to in the 21st Century.

And to be honest, since the "Howard's battlers" years, I'm not sure how many of them are still aligned with Labor.

There's a HUGE gulf between the ( probably) university educated, " intellectual elite" which is lot of the current progressive side of Labor support, and the blue collar batters (fewer of those as there are now, than in the past) who were the traditional base.

It's a very hard set of conflicting agendas to bring together....people who want an end to coal, and  who want action on climate change and those whose livelihoods depend  on mining (in Qld and the Hunter).