wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Shorten was never popular with the average voter and has been mentioned here has baggage from Rudd/Gillard. I would go with Albanese......

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Nail on the head Wendy.  Labor's main opposition now are the Greens I believe. 

One bloke on the Labor side I always admired, without necessarily agreeing on policies, was Doug Cameron.  Never any doubt what he believed and who he represented.  But he is a relic of a bygone era I suspect.

17 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Yes.... but now?

The old base of "the battlers" is only part of who Labor has to appeal to in the 21st Century.

And to be honest, since the "Howard's battlers" years, I'm not sure how many of them are still aligned with Labor.

There's a HUGE gulf between the ( probably) university educated, " intellectual elite" which is lot of the current progressive side of Labor support, and the blue collar batters (fewer of those as there are now, than in the past) who were the traditional base.

It's a very hard set of conflicting agendas to bring together....people who want an end to coal, and  who want action on climate change and those whose livelihoods depend  on mining (in Qld and the Hunter).

So what are you saying? That everyone who feels that their party lost the election is going to give up just because of huge gulfs? And then what? 

It's up to the labor party to decide who they want to follow, and who they think has the goods. Our wish lists count for nothing. If we were to join the labor party we could truly join the conversation. 

Leaders are often created by the challenges of the day and time. History has a funny way of rolling the dice. Labor has to be ready if or when that happens. 

The uptake from the election is scare campaigns work. Fear and division wins unless you can counter it and do it in a simple and coherent manner to blunt the attacks. Labor didn't.

19 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

One bloke on the Labor side I always admired, without necessarily agreeing on policies, was Doug Cameron.  Never any doubt what he believed and who he represented.  But he is a relic of a bygone era I suspect.

Nah...it's still the Libs but Labor and the Greens have to stop working against each other and begin to work for each other.

28 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

It is in my seat, but I’m in the people’s republic of Marrickville  bubble

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Nah...it's still the Libs but Labor and the Greens have to stop working against each other and begin to work for each other.

Not sure how that would work.

One party supposedly looking after the "workers" and the other one doing everything they can to get rid of their jobs and put them out of work.

5 minutes ago, mack said:

Yeah, those 1500 Adani jobs are well worth destroying the Barrier Reef over.

when the reef dies it's gonna put a hell of a lot more people out of work and QLD tourism will take a massive blow. i'm sure they can all get a job in the mines.

Tanya Alphabet has decided not to run for the leadership apparently. Just tweeted by a SMH journalist.

This Greens v Labor thing doesn’t really work for me

Like, if you’re on the “left”, your preference should end up flowing to either Labor anyway - it’s not like you’ll put 1 Greens and then 2 Liberal

Fact is we need to get people educated on our political system and policies 

This absolute moron on this news website who was saying she would vote for the Liberals because Labor would tax super more (ostensibly by reducing the nonconcessional cap)...

Like for one, you’re not even 30. You’re not touching super for another like 12 elections. Second, reducing the non-concessional cap to $75k means you still need to put ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR in your super before that policy even kicks in (and there are some top up provisions as well iirc)

Pisses me off how stupid some people are

Yeah it worries my how many people don't understand how preferential voting systems work. The big parties go on about how voting for a minor party is "wasting your vote" and the media love reporting on preference deals which only matter if you follow the how to vote card. People don't understand that they are the only ones who decide where their vote goes.

As far as I'm aware they don't teach this stuff to high school students who are soon to be voters.

Most people follow their party HTV cards blindly.

2 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Tanya Alphabet has decided not to run for the leadership apparently. Just tweeted by a SMH journalist.

She'd be no chance of getting elected.

Her opponents would simply bring up her husbands past & she'd spend the whole campaign putting out fires

6 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Her opponents would simply bring up her husbands past & she'd spend the whole campaign putting out fires

Please explain?  I have know idea who her husband is.

Posted (edited)

He served time in the 80s for dealing heroin (he was a user as well).

Edited by marron

Wow.  What does that say about their marriage that they are still together despite her being a high profile politician?

Just now, LeeMarvin said:

Please explain?  I have know idea who her husband is.

Google is your friend

From her Wikipedia page

Personal life[edit]

Plibersek lives in Sydney with her husband, Michael Coutts-Trotter who is a senior public servant. He was the director-general of the New South Wales Department of Family and Community Services until the 2019 NSW State election when he became head of the Department of Justice, a move that upset some people given his past conviction and jail sentence for drugs. (Coutts–Trotter was given a nine-year prison sentence when convicted in 1986 for the importation and distribution of heroin into Australia.)[39] They have three children Anna, Joseph and Louis.[40]

Mack's post is depressing.

If people care about those issues - unlike those ****wits in Wentworth who just pretend to when it suits - they need to mobilise, and Labor/Greens need to present a job creations case around our dystopian future.

Meanwhile I am going to start burying supply caches in secret locations for when **** gets real. 

3 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Google is your friend

From her Wikipedia page

I know mate,  but what kind of conversation would there be if everyone just Googled everything ;) 

Crikey - head of Department of Justice? Geeze...

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

PS You will return to the battle Cynth. It won't be in you to give up and not care for long. :grouphug:

Thanks Wendy. I will bounce back....I think. 

35 minutes ago, Taurus said:

That may be so, but I would judge her on her political capabilities rather than who she has chosen as a life partner. Anyway, she has chosen not to stand so it's a non issue now.

The sad thing is that you are correct. News Limited would hammer her for the point you raised, which would then send the Twittersphere and FB into meltdown.

What a sad world we live in.

30 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Google is your friend

From her Wikipedia page

Personal life[edit]

Plibersek lives in Sydney with her husband, Michael Coutts-Trotter who is a senior public servant. He was the director-general of the New South Wales Department of Family and Community Services until the 2019 NSW State election when he became head of the Department of Justice, a move that upset some people given his past conviction and jail sentence for drugs. (Coutts–Trotter was given a nine-year prison sentence when convicted in 1986 for the importation and distribution of heroin into Australia.)[39] They have three children Anna, Joseph and Louis.[40]

Can I just say that he was my boss at FACS until the last election. He was excellent. Empathic. Switched on. An excellent advocate for the most vulnerable young people in the state. 

43 minutes ago, marron said:

Mack's post is depressing.

If people care about those issues - unlike those ****wits in Wentworth who just pretend to when it suits - they need to mobilise, and Labor/Greens need to present a job creations case around our dystopian future.

Meanwhile I am going to start burying supply caches in secret locations for when **** gets real. 

Yes their conscience didn't last long in Wentworth did it? 

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

One party supposedly looking after the "workers" and the other one doing everything they can to get rid of their jobs and put them out of work.

Which policy was it that would remove jobs for the workers? 

Also by job, I mean one that pays enough to live off

21 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Can I just say that he was my boss at FACS until the last election. He was excellent. Empathic. Switched on. An excellent advocate for the most vulnerable young people in the state. 

I'm happy he's a reformed character, but he doesn't qualify as 1st gentleman material. 

5 hours ago, FCB said:

So what are you saying? That everyone who feels that their party lost the election is going to give up just because of huge gulfs? And then what? 

It's up to the labor party to decide who they want to follow, and who they think has the goods. Our wish lists count for nothing. If we were to join the labor party we could truly join the conversation. 

Leaders are often created by the challenges of the day and time. History has a funny way of rolling the dice. Labor has to be ready if or when that happens. 

Did I say we should give up?

If that was the impression I gave, I didn't mean to.

I'm saying that Labor can no longer rely on appealing to "the workers/ the battlers" against the wealthy elites.

And that the push for action on Climate Change ( which I'm DESPERATE to see happen) clashes with the interests of a lot of those workers/ battlers...and they are aligning with people like Hansen.

The latter have to have a sense hope for their futures...and alternative industries set up for them BEFORE mines are shut down. There has to be a plan to transition away from coal ASAP.

Being discussed now on The Drum.

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

And that hits the nail on the head in terms of the complexity. Both of those are part of what Labor is trying to juggle.