wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Hey guys - I lay in the sun getting a tan while drinking booze and listening to country music all day.  If anything, get mad at me for being apathetic towards the privileges afforded by our wonderful democratic system and not voting!

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Bowen to withdraw his nomination, allowing Albo to be elected unopposed for the leadership of Labor Party.

Can't see how another lurch to the left, would improve Labor's chances at the next election 

Confirmed?

dkBuUmXY_bigger.jpgDavid SpeersVerified account @David_Speers
FollowFollow @David_Speers
More

Chris Bowen to address the media at 3:45pm. Expected to withdraw from the leadership contest.

2:28 PM - 22 May 2019

33 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I wasn't joking.

Name me the policies of the Liberal party that promotes fairness and a healthier community. I am fascinated. 

3 hours ago, Cynth said:

Name me the policies of the Liberal party that promotes fairness and a healthier community. I am fascinated. 

The Libs policies are on their website, all 19 of them, and the 37 separate statements they made for the election are there too.

49 minutes ago, Flytox said:

The Libs policies are on their website, all 19 of them, and the 37 separate statements they made for the election are there too.

Then Ed will have no trouble finding the policies that inspired his vote for a fairer, healthier  community. :)

5 hours ago, Potkorok said:

Yeah I think I was broadly agreeing with that but felt that the policies were not so much to blame as poor selling of the merits of the policies ( and perhaps just too many for one election campaign)

Agree with the Clinton assessment - but also so many disenfranchised white workers turned to Trump because they felt Democrats had abandoned them in the years leading up to the campaign - even a sizeable number of poorer black voters voted for him and these people used to be the Democrats bread and butter supporters - my fear is the Labor party here has been doing the same.

Cheers

Fully agree with all that...but this result may, hopefully, act as a warning before we go too far down the US path.

14 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Fully agree with all that...but this result may, hopefully, act as a warning before we go too far down the US path.

Please explain, their economy is going well.

Everyone that wants to work, is being given an opportunity to do so

1 minute ago, Taurus said:

They also have a huge gap between rich and poor. One of the biggest in the world. Many have to work two jobs. 

They have lower life expectancy, higher chronic illness rates and the highest maternal death rate in the western world. 

They have low educational levels. Sitting well below Australia and pretty much all the western countries in the OECD.

They have extreme gun death rates. (Fun fact: there are 40000 gun deaths a year in the US, 2/3 are suicide and 80% of those are white males...) Happy bunch.

The US is also the only western country to have a significant problem with mass shootings. 

So the economy is going well....I guess that can keep them warm at night. 

Thanks Teach,

Elections are won & loss on the economy.

Social policies are just white noise during an election campaign. 

In Oz, we have safety nets in place for those who need a hand up, refuse to contribute or can't work due to a disability. 

I should know, with 10+ years to go until retirement I now have to re-enter the workforce, but that's ok, I don't expect anyone to provide for me

Just now, Taurus said:

Thanks Teach,

Elections are won & loss on the economy.

Social policies are just white noise during an election campaign. 

In Oz, we have safety nets in place for those who need a hand up, refuse to contribute or can't work due to a disability. 

I should know, with 10+ years to go until retirement I now have to re-enter the workforce, but that's ok, I don't expect anyone to provide for me

Unfortunately you are right. It’s all about money. 

Good luck with re-entering the job market. I hope it all goes well. :)

I can’t believe this BS about the liberals being so called better economic managers 

Even if you discount Labor being able to steer us through the 2008 GFC without too much hassle, the fact that inflation was at 0% for the quarter and that the RBA is considering dropping rates twice this year (after keeping them unchanged for almost three years) shows that lately, the Liberals have bottled it

And then the AFR going to cheerlead for the Coalition and saying lowering rates is a good thing? Clearly they didn’t study properly in Year 9 Commerce ffs

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

It was Cynth who replied...and you intended to thank, Taurus.

What I was referring to was the discontentment of many working class voters say in rural QLD and the Hunter (just as these disenfrancised people turned against the Dems, and towards Trump in the US).

I recall a commentator from QLD who referred to working class people in QLD voting for the Coalition "whilst clutching vomit bags". 

I was comforted by the idea of them clutching their vomit bags...:lol: but I'm pretty sure Labor has suffered a very big reality check...and that the traditional base can be won back.

Unfotunately there is a risk that it will be at the expense of environnmental protections. We've seen it already today...with Anna P pushing for Adani to be settled...and I think it was Joel Fitzgibbon calling for more coal...and gas fields to be opened up.

Jobs yes...much needed, but hopefully not too much of a knee-jerk reaction is what Labor will look to as they reevaluate  their policies. 

Anyway...I do hope all goes well in your job  search Taurus. :grouphug:

10 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

I can’t believe this BS about the liberals being so called better economic managers 

Even if you discount Labor being able to steer us through the 2008 GFC without too much hassle....

No no no....they stole Peter Costello's surplus, Unlimited!

Nothing to do with Labor's actions. ;)

It was the future fund actually

5 minutes ago, Taurus said:

It was the future fund actually

Ahh OK. :good:

3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Rupert Murdoch cops it where it hurts for a business 

Geoffrey Rush awarded record $2.9 million after defamation win http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-23/geoffrey-rush-awarded-multi-million-dollar-payout/11143250

He'll just take it out of the tax he doesn't pay.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

This seems a  very balanced analysis...with a historical perspective.

Surprise win held a warning for PM. And the first sign of trouble is already here
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-25/federal-election-morrison-shorten-history/11144516

When the last line is the usual guff about "well at least we aren't murdering each other when we vote" you know the country is up **** creek. Government policy is going to kill people either in the long-term by our refusal to fight climate change, or in the short term with things like robodebt and our refugee concentration camps.

Big business makes the claim that company tax cuts mean more jobs...what they really mean is.......

Coles and Woolworths begin transition to automated workforces / An analysis from the Committee of Economic Development of Australia warns more than five million jobs could disappear in the next 10 to 15 years because of technological advancements.

https://tottnews.com/2019/04/02/5245/?fbclid=IwAR1y1IFnvdKSFLPkpPU_B9YdsLrEv56k1Uf9ZUWmpeSNpr3a0tOPrDhZ_2Y

Perhaps we can get jobs in a mine.....

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/no-one-behind-the-wheel-the-new-workforce-driving-australia-s-mines-20190411-p51dd2.html

or can we.?

51 minutes ago, sonar said:

Big business makes the claim that company tax cuts mean more jobs...what they really mean is.......

Coles and Woolworths begin transition to automated workforces / An analysis from the Committee of Economic Development of Australia warns more than five million jobs could disappear in the next 10 to 15 years because of technological advancements.

https://tottnews.com/2019/04/02/5245/?fbclid=IwAR1y1IFnvdKSFLPkpPU_B9YdsLrEv56k1Uf9ZUWmpeSNpr3a0tOPrDhZ_2Y

Perhaps we can get jobs in a mine.....

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/no-one-behind-the-wheel-the-new-workforce-driving-australia-s-mines-20190411-p51dd2.html

or can we.?

Scary.... 

How many jobs at adani once it's finished? About 20?

8 minutes ago, marron said:

How many jobs at adani once it's finished? About 20?

Just someone to tell the machines they did a good job at the end of the day. :D

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Scary.... 

The really scary thing is that these guys main aim is to reduce their retail shops. How they go about is by reducing checkout staff, more self serve checkouts. By making a trip to the supermarket seem a chore....waiting in queues etc they want to drive people onto online shopping.....less staff...more profit. Good for them,the shareholders and the bottom line.....not good for the people who will eventually lose a job.......market forces eh.....

18 hours ago, sonar said:

The really scary thing is that these guys main aim is to reduce their retail shops. How they go about is by reducing checkout staff, more self serve checkouts. By making a trip to the supermarket seem a chore....waiting in queues etc they want to drive people onto online shopping.....less staff...more profit. Good for them,the shareholders and the bottom line.....not good for the people who will eventually lose a job.......market forces eh.....

I refuse to use self-service checkouts because they get rid of jobs.

Me too...unless there is no other option (which sometimes does happen late in the day).