Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

for a silent majority they don't half make a lot of noise. 

Must be hard for them to get their voice heard, what with all that time spent editing a newspaper

I think you just proved his point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

8 hours ago, Legionista said:

Do you think governments raising minimum wages and various crippling industrial relations measures such as enforcing penalty rates makes the the moves you are describing more or less attractive?

It neither makes its more or less attractive. Most employers accept we live in a country where minimum standards apply and that they need to abide by these standards. There is no evidence that a rise in the minimum wage really causes any job losses and this is true if penalty rates too. 

Just like there is no evidence that tax cits to corporations increase job creation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Legionista said:

I think it’s up to the individual to get paid. The onus is on you or me to make sure you or me gets paid a decent living wage.

People should be able to work in a safe environment. However, there are some jobs that where danger can be minimised but never totally eliminated and for such jobs they should be compensated and they usually are. 

Underwater welders are a good example. What they get paid would make your toes curl, but hey, danger money is danger money. The job is dangerous by definition. No one is forcing them to do it. 

This one is side splitting. The reality is that real wage growth has occurred through collective action in most industries. Where people are left to fend for themselves, their employers maintain the power and hence the money forcing a system like in the US where many people need two jobs to earn a decent wage. 

Its idealistic and ignorant of power structures to suggest otherwise. Particularly in unskilled work settings and in a country like ours where there are more people in need of work than there are jobs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I think you just proved his point.

He’s a tit

Editor of a News LTD paper complains that he doesn’t have a voice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Legionista said:

Do you think governments raising minimum wages and various crippling industrial relations measures such as enforcing penalty rates makes the the moves you are describing more or less attractive?

It’s largely irrelevant, automation of workforce is happening penalty rates or not. The answer is not to lower workers conditions

so would you mind expanding on those crippling industrial relations measures? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i like Marcia seems pretty level headed, dont actually really dislike anyone on the panel from what i have seen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He’s a tit

Editor of a News LTD paper complains that he doesn’t have a voice 

He didn't claim any such thing. Remember I only quoted a couple of paragraphs. 

And it's an independent newspaper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

so would you mind expanding ......? 

Lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

He didn't claim any such thing. Remember I only quoted a couple of paragraphs. 

And it's an independent newspaper. 

Independent newspaper? I didn’t think there where any left

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Independent newspaper? I didn’t think there where any left

:)

Yep, locally owned, operated and staffed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Yep, locally owned, operated and staffed.

Ed...what's the name of the paper ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonar said:

Ed...what's the name of the paper ...?

Western Weekender

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Angus Taylor, fraudulently acting as a minister, gives contracts to old rowing mates. Doesn't give a toss about anyone but himself and his rich mates.

Angus Taylor calls for Labor to submit to Coalition on emissions target https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/28/angus-taylor-calls-for-bipartisanship-on-climate-policy?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Angus Taylor, fraudulently acting as a minister, gives contracts to old rowing mates. Doesn't give a toss about anyone but himself and his rich mates.

Angus Taylor calls for Labor to submit to Coalition on emissions target https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/28/angus-taylor-calls-for-bipartisanship-on-climate-policy?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

 

 

I just can’t understand  how a crook like that got re-elected. It’s shameful. 

And to call for the Labour Party to join them on their no ambition climate plan is laughable. 

The most important line in that article was the one talking about the government going on during the election campaign about reaching Kyoto 1 targets! The first Australian target was an increase in emissions! Not hard to reach FFS! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda comforting....in a way. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/comment-labor-has-a-problem-and-its-name-is-pauline/ar-AAC1f1B?ocid=spartandhp

"In these three (Qld) seats, the primary vote swing to the LNP was less than 1 per cent in each seat, but in the seat of Dawson for example, the Labor primary vote was down 12.3 per cent and One Nation's vote was up 12.9 per cent.

What this means is that while Labor's traditional blue-collar base deserted it in droves, it did not swing on mass to the LNP but to One Nation and then One Nation funnelled Labor votes very effectively to the LNP via preferences.

The other key lesson from these results is that blue collar voters were not able to cross the Rubicon and go straight from voting Labor to voting Liberal, they instead used One Nation as a parking bay to register their strong disapproval of Labor's equivocation over Adani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Kinda comforting....in a way. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/comment-labor-has-a-problem-and-its-name-is-pauline/ar-AAC1f1B?ocid=spartandhp

"In these three (Qld) seats, the primary vote swing to the LNP was less than 1 per cent in each seat, but in the seat of Dawson for example, the Labor primary vote was down 12.3 per cent and One Nation's vote was up 12.9 per cent.

What this means is that while Labor's traditional blue-collar base deserted it in droves, it did not swing on mass to the LNP but to One Nation and then One Nation funnelled Labor votes very effectively to the LNP via preferences.

The other key lesson from these results is that blue collar voters were not able to cross the Rubicon and go straight from voting Labor to voting Liberal, they instead used One Nation as a parking bay to register their strong disapproval of Labor's equivocation over Adani.

All depends on how you look at it.If the flow of votes to PHON ( Hanson) or UAP( Palmer)  from the ALP went to the Libs than you would assume people just followed the HTV's. I find it strange that a lot of people follow the "How to Votes" from parties. I never have. I make up my own mind where my preferences go. This is just an assumption on my part but I don't think many people realise what they are doing when they folllow a HTV. I've asked people about voting and preferences and their eyes sort of just glaze over....lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, it suggests that they were making a protest vote - but didn't want to vote for the LNP.

And as you say, they might not have been aware that their preferences would flow on to the Libs...or might not have cared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wendybr said:

To me, it suggests that they were making a protest vote - but didn't want to vote for the LNP.

And as you say, they might not have been aware that their preferences would flow on to the Libs...or might not have cared.

If your protest vote leads you to Pauline Hansen and Clive Palmer, the Labour Party have some serious problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Yep, locally owned, operated and staffed.

And having Ray Hadley as a Columnist...sorta gives one a hint what kind of Newspaper this is. Maybe he was their expert on Domestic Violence issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Cynth said:

If your protest vote leads you to Pauline Hansen and Clive Palmer, the Labour Party have some serious problems. 

And I think they know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Ossified said:

And having Ray Hadley as a Columnist...sorta gives one a hint what kind of Newspaper this is. Maybe he was their expert on Domestic Violence issues.

As a columnist where? I've never noticed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ossified said:

And having Ray Hadley as a Columnist...sorta gives one a hint what kind of Newspaper this is. Maybe he was their expert on Domestic Violence issues.

....or rogue cops doing drugs.....:ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

As a columnist where? I've never noticed that.

The Western Weekender has a team of full-time and part-time journalists, as well as columnists.

The current news team includes: Troy Dodds (Editor), Emily Newton (Crime & Politics), Alena Higgins (Courts & Council), Lauren Suttie (General News) and Nathan Taylor (Sport).

Long-time columnists include Alex McKenzie (Finance) and Troy Dodds (opinion), but the newspaper runs between 10 and 15 columns across a range of subjects each week. High-profile columnists have in the past included Erin Molan, Peter Overton, Ray Hadley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ossified said:

The Western Weekender has a team of full-time and part-time journalists, as well as columnists.

The current news team includes: Troy Dodds (Editor), Emily Newton (Crime & Politics), Alena Higgins (Courts & Council), Lauren Suttie (General News) and Nathan Taylor (Sport).

Long-time columnists include Alex McKenzie (Finance) and Troy Dodds (opinion), but the newspaper runs between 10 and 15 columns across a range of subjects each week. High-profile columnists have in the past included Erin Molan, Peter Overton, Ray Hadley

I read the paper each week and am familiar with its content and most of the names you mention, and I know a couple of them. Emily Feszczuk is currently another regular news writer.

I certainly haven't noticed Molan, Hadley or Overton. Wouldn't the first 2 be rugby league writers? I never read that section.

Seems to me it's just a local newspaper with much better than average content and no political agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2019 at 11:41 AM, Edinburgh said:

Your question has been answered.

I'm curious though. What do you think is the reason governments provide subsidies to businesses? 

ED

 

That is a brilliant question, and the answer is there are many reasons, its not just one, further there are many forms of subsidies as well ...two examples are first my water rates at Horsefield Bay, my bill was $ 543.00 which was $ 70.00 for water usage and the balance for having water go past mu house... a massive subsidy to pay for the local councils services like library's ... build council roads, council signage, keeping parks clean.... as well as pay for maintenance of the existing pipes, dams etc.

My second example would be solar panels, arguably to force a change in how we use energy,  help stop the need to build more coal fired power stations... 

We used to have motor vehicle subsides to protect manufacturing jobs ..

Transport subsidies for school kids and old people on public transport are some others.

Ed a very interesting question, 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/05/2019 at 11:37 PM, Midfielder said:

My second example would be solar panels, arguably to force a change in how we use energy,  help stop the need to build more coal fired power stations...

Nah, would suck up all the Suns energy... QLD Maybe?

US town rejects solar farm because locals fear panels will ‘suck up all the energy from the sun’

Network WritersNews Corp Australia

December 15, 2015 5:41AM

TOPICS

World NewsTechnologyEnvironment

A SMALL American town rejected a solar farm proposal after locals complained the panels would suck up all the energy from the sun.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Residents at the Woodland Town Council community meeting in North Carolina also claimed the panels would cause cancer and stop plants from growing, according to the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News.

Councillors were voting on whether to redefine agriculturally designated land for manufacturing so Strata Solar Company could build a solar farm.

Local Bobby Mann said he watched his community “dry up” when the 1-95 was built and worried a solar farm would do the same, before adding it would use up all the sun’s energy.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

His wife, retired science teacher Jane Mann, feared the proposed solar ranch could thwart photosynthesis and stop plants from growing. She also said no one had proved solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen. I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town,” she said. “People come with hidden agendas. Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Other residents worried the proposed solar farm would hurt housing prices.

Strata Solar Company representative Brent Niemann tried to appease the residents, saying solar panels generate power using sunlight that hits them directly.

“The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” he said.

But his comments fell on deaf ears. The council voted 3-1 against the proposal and agreed to place a moratorium on future solar farms.

According to NASA, for a solar farm to “suck up all the energy from the sun,” it would have to absorb more than 500 billion horsepower in one second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Nah, would suck up all the Suns energy... QLD Maybe?

US town rejects solar farm because locals fear panels will ‘suck up all the energy from the sun’

Network WritersNews Corp Australia

December 15, 2015 5:41AM

TOPICS

World NewsTechnologyEnvironment

A SMALL American town rejected a solar farm proposal after locals complained the panels would suck up all the energy from the sun.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Residents at the Woodland Town Council community meeting in North Carolina also claimed the panels would cause cancer and stop plants from growing, according to the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News.

Councillors were voting on whether to redefine agriculturally designated land for manufacturing so Strata Solar Company could build a solar farm.

Local Bobby Mann said he watched his community “dry up” when the 1-95 was built and worried a solar farm would do the same, before adding it would use up all the sun’s energy.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

His wife, retired science teacher Jane Mann, feared the proposed solar ranch could thwart photosynthesis and stop plants from growing. She also said no one had proved solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen. I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town,” she said. “People come with hidden agendas. Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Other residents worried the proposed solar farm would hurt housing prices.

Strata Solar Company representative Brent Niemann tried to appease the residents, saying solar panels generate power using sunlight that hits them directly.

“The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” he said.

But his comments fell on deaf ears. The council voted 3-1 against the proposal and agreed to place a moratorium on future solar farms.

According to NASA, for a solar farm to “suck up all the energy from the sun,” it would have to absorb more than 500 billion horsepower in one second.

No way! That can’t be real. Is that a satirical website?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cynth said:

No way! That can’t be real. Is that a satirical website?

I more inclined to believe that those people fall into the misinformed or uneducated area.....(or perhaps multiple cases of the village idiot lives here syndrome).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Nah, would suck up all the Suns energy... QLD Maybe?

US town rejects solar farm because locals fear panels will ‘suck up all the energy from the sun’

Network WritersNews Corp Australia

December 15, 2015 5:41AM

TOPICS

World NewsTechnologyEnvironment

A SMALL American town rejected a solar farm proposal after locals complained the panels would suck up all the energy from the sun.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Residents at the Woodland Town Council community meeting in North Carolina also claimed the panels would cause cancer and stop plants from growing, according to the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News.

Councillors were voting on whether to redefine agriculturally designated land for manufacturing so Strata Solar Company could build a solar farm.

Local Bobby Mann said he watched his community “dry up” when the 1-95 was built and worried a solar farm would do the same, before adding it would use up all the sun’s energy.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

His wife, retired science teacher Jane Mann, feared the proposed solar ranch could thwart photosynthesis and stop plants from growing. She also said no one had proved solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen. I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town,” she said. “People come with hidden agendas. Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Other residents worried the proposed solar farm would hurt housing prices.

Strata Solar Company representative Brent Niemann tried to appease the residents, saying solar panels generate power using sunlight that hits them directly.

“The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” he said.

But his comments fell on deaf ears. The council voted 3-1 against the proposal and agreed to place a moratorium on future solar farms.

According to NASA, for a solar farm to “suck up all the energy from the sun,” it would have to absorb more than 500 billion horsepower in one second.

These people vote in an election for a leader that has access to 6000+ nuclear weapons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cynth said:

No way! That can’t be real. Is that a satirical website?

Wish it was but it's not...you see a significant number of Americans believe the World is Flat and the World was made in 7 days etc etc etc now on to Noah's Ark. The mind boggles.

Ark Encounter, the multimillion-dollar theme park and monument to fundamentalist Christianity whose centrepiece is a giant replica of Noah's Ark, is suing its insurance carriers over rain-related damages on the property.

 

The Washington Post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...