Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Beyond Interesting

"The day of reckoning is coming", one of the guys from the panel said at the end. We've been hearing this for quite some time now, its not a matter of "if" the bubble bursts, but "when", and once it happens, it's going to be ugly.

I read Plievier's "Moscow" a while back. The author was living in Moscow during WW2. He wrote how, as the Nazi army was approaching, some people were pretending that it was not happening, and they had ball room dances, and drank Crimean bubbly. The way our politicians, the media and the banks "deal" with the mortgage situation has the same flavour.

Just as well that we've got ScoMo and Josh Frydenberg who are going to save us all - by brokering a rescue package by either USA, China, or India, whoever turns out to be the highest bidder.

Decided to put this here...although I could have put it in WFMB Thread - because I thought this was an excellent and thought provoking doco, or in the WRGMG Thread - because the idea that we have become sugar addicts, and how that has unfolded,  is disgusting.

The idea that, even without eating a great deal of sugary junk food, the average Aussie consumes about 40 teaspoons of sugar a day is appalling.

And it shows in the health effect it's having on an increasing number of people - young and old, male and female.

The scene in which the film-maker sits and eats his 40 teaspoons of sugar is truly sickening (not that we actually see him consuming them all).

Anyway - I reckon this is well worth watching.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/901631555984/that-sugar-film

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Decided to put this here...although I could have put it in WFMB Thread - because I thought this was an excellent and thought provoking doco, or in the WRGMG Thread - because the idea that we have become sugar addicts, and how that has unfolded,  is disgusting.

Anyway - I reckon this is well worth watching.

The ideas that, even without eating a great deal of sugary junk food, the average Aussie consumes about 40 teaspoons of sugar a day is appalling.

And it shows in the health effect it's having on an increasing number of people - young and old, male and female.

The scene in which the film-maker sits and eats his 40 teaspoons of sugar is truly sickening (not that we actually see him consuming them all).

Sugar..meh..i wouldnt have anywhere near that much a day, although i do apprechite it is hidden in some food as you say.

Salt on the other hand. I have a bit of an addiction to salt must admit. Still need to cut down on that as have too much per day.

Both are harmful.

Really - this youngish guy, who is basically on a sugar free diet, goes on a processed food diet, eating what would be seen as sort of healthy foods, but those that are still quite high in sugar - cereals, fruit juices, non-fat flavoured yoghurt, baked beans. For two months..... food containing  forty teaspoons of sugar a day.

The effects  - on his weight (puts on I think 8 kilos) his blood pressure, liver, pancreas (is that where diabetes originates) and his mood are all significant.

The history of how fat was demonised, and sugar came to infiltrate much of our food, is also interesting.

7 minutes ago, mack said:

Good thing we've got NSW & Federal Elections coming up where the people can vote out both of these corrupt & inept wreckers.

Instead of pencils to mark a ballot perhaps they should hand out crayons...seems to be the level of thought of the average voter.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/top-uni-wants-to-lower-entry-standards-to-counter-student-exodus-20190614-p51xri.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1560549283

Interested to get peoples thoughts on this. I’m very passionate about this topic because I have thought for a while now that unis are just businesses rather than educational institutes which is so wrong.

Time for a royal commission into universities in my opinion. In the 4.5 years that I completed my bachelor and masters degree, the entrance mark for my undergrad course dropped 20 points. God knows how low it is now as I’ve been out of uni for 3 years now. It’s becoming more frequent that I meet people who tell me about the degrees they are studying though are completely oblivious to the fact they will struggle to find employment. Are the uni’s telling them this though? The fact the fee HELP threshold for repayments has decreased to below $50k now says it all really: too many people are going to Uni and leaving without a job or one that pays anything worthy of the time spent studying.

I supervise students who with all respect do not have a clue what they are doing because they really shouldn’t have been accepted into their degrees in the first place. Uni is not meant for everyone.

As much as I love my job, if I had my time again, I would 100% go and do a trade without any doubt.

I  agree with all you say there.

The 4 Corners program of a few weeks back provided similar insights to yours Hughsey.

Re International students...they are worth over 30 billion dollars to our economy, (34 billion I think) and are our 3rd biggest "export" industry.

The Unis are businesses, and exploit overseas students, many of whom have no chance of success due to poor English , and general lack of academic aptitude.

It's  a very troubling situation.

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

I  agree with all you say there.

The 4 Corners program of a few weeks back provided similar insights to yours Hughsey.

Re International students...they are worth over 30 billion dollars to our economy, (34 billion I think) and are our 3rd biggest "export" industry.

The Unis are businesses, and exploit overseas students, many of whom have no chance of success due to poor English , and general lack of academic aptitude.

It's  a very troubling situation.

You could say the same for local students too (including the English part for some...)

For me this situation is also tied up in the PC movement that everyone should be told how great they are and made to feel special and not left out. The HSC is starting to mean very little because there are so many back door entries into uni now. The financial benefits to this have the unis rubbing their hands together with glee.

When I was at uni, there were people in my cohort who regularly either just scraped by or failed assessments yet magically seemed to pass units come end of semester, sometimes even with a credit average! It was miraculous. Yet all done to ironically try and maintain the reputation of the university and have ‘strong’ results.

The rate at which they are letting people in, a bachelor degree will be worth zilch in a few years time and masters will be the bare minimum for any new grads wanting even a chance at quality employment. Even when I completed my masters, it was a lot different to when my old man completed his as every second person has one nowadays. 

8 hours ago, hughsey said:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/top-uni-wants-to-lower-entry-standards-to-counter-student-exodus-20190614-p51xri.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1560549283

Interested to get peoples thoughts on this. I’m very passionate about this topic because I have thought for a while now that unis are just businesses rather than educational institutes which is so wrong.

Time for a royal commission into universities in my opinion. In the 4.5 years that I completed my bachelor and masters degree, the entrance mark for my undergrad course dropped 20 points. God knows how low it is now as I’ve been out of uni for 3 years now. It’s becoming more frequent that I meet people who tell me about the degrees they are studying though are completely oblivious to the fact they will struggle to find employment. Are the uni’s telling them this though? The fact the fee HELP threshold for repayments has decreased to below $50k now says it all really: too many people are going to Uni and leaving without a job or one that pays anything worthy of the time spent studying.

I supervise students who with all respect do not have a clue what they are doing because they really shouldn’t have been accepted into their degrees in the first place. Uni is not meant for everyone.

As much as I love my job, if I had my time again, I would 100% go and do a trade without any doubt.

I can’t like this post enough. It makes me so annoyed that UNSW are considering dropping standards even more to maintain income. There are already too many non-vocational degrees and there are already too many young people entering university with barely pass marks only to then start to rack up a study debt for a degree they will never complete because they don’t have the aptitude for study. 

And within universities there is a financial push to pass international students that are not performing. 

Quantity over quality. Money over standards. Business over education. 

I’m with you hughsey, a Royal Commission into universities, but I don’t like our chances.

:nono:

58 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I can’t like this post enough. It makes me so annoyed that UNSW are considering dropping standards even more to maintain income. There are already too many non-vocational degrees and there are already too many young people entering university with barely pass marks only to then start to rack up a study debt for a degree they will never complete because they don’t have the aptitude for study. 

And within universities there is a financial push to pass international students that are not performing. 

Quantity over quality. Money over standards. Business over education. 

I’m with you hughsey, a Royal Commission into universities, but I don’t like our chances.

:nono:

And you didn't even mention the fact that it's not difficult to find people to write essays for students incapable of doing that for themselves....further undermining the integrity and credibility of tertiary studies.

5 hours ago, Cynth said:

Easy solution. Remove fees from University, waive existing educational debt and allow people to study what they want.

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Say goodbye to penalty rates.... Next on the list will be getting rid of leave loading...watch this space...the con job is on.

You could see this coming but...........people voted for it. They'll have to wear it. 

1 hour ago, Legionista said:

Muh rights!

lol.........Perhaps they should get rid of childcare rebates.....family tax benefits part A and B.......pensioner cards....medicare .....all forms of welfare......first home owners schemes....solar panel rebates..........unemployment payments.....gone.....oh and all business welfare and subsidies as well.....lol ......

............ and just let market forces rip......lol

Edited by sonar
6 hours ago, Legionista said:

Muh rights!

I know right? 

Imagine workers thinking they have any agency, licence or protections! It’s outrageous. A robotic, automated workforce that doesn’t have any expectation of a quality of life is much better. Humanity should be optional. 

:P

can we just get rid of religion in general? :P

a lot about free speech its a very difficult topic i am a huge fan of free speech but i find myself understanding the other groups point of view more especially for those groups who have high rates of mental health issues

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic