Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

Solar panels sucking up the sun's energy eh? An article from 2015. The town council decided no solar panels in the area. So they're the reason for global warming!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

If you stood underneath the solar panels you'd probably have a reduced risk of cancer because you'd be shaded form the suns UV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ossified said:

Nah, would suck up all the Suns energy... QLD Maybe?

US town rejects solar farm because locals fear panels will ‘suck up all the energy from the sun’

Network WritersNews Corp Australia

December 15, 2015 5:41AM

TOPICS

World NewsTechnologyEnvironment

A SMALL American town rejected a solar farm proposal after locals complained the panels would suck up all the energy from the sun.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Residents at the Woodland Town Council community meeting in North Carolina also claimed the panels would cause cancer and stop plants from growing, according to the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News.

Councillors were voting on whether to redefine agriculturally designated land for manufacturing so Strata Solar Company could build a solar farm.

Local Bobby Mann said he watched his community “dry up” when the 1-95 was built and worried a solar farm would do the same, before adding it would use up all the sun’s energy.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

His wife, retired science teacher Jane Mann, feared the proposed solar ranch could thwart photosynthesis and stop plants from growing. She also said no one had proved solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen. I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town,” she said. “People come with hidden agendas. Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Other residents worried the proposed solar farm would hurt housing prices.

Strata Solar Company representative Brent Niemann tried to appease the residents, saying solar panels generate power using sunlight that hits them directly.

“The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” he said.

But his comments fell on deaf ears. The council voted 3-1 against the proposal and agreed to place a moratorium on future solar farms.

According to NASA, for a solar farm to “suck up all the energy from the sun,” it would have to absorb more than 500 billion horsepower in one second.

I'm surprised that they aren't going to stop using coal and oil because it will suck up all the energy from the earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 30/05/2019 at 6:37 PM, Ossified said:

Nah, would suck up all the Suns energy... QLD Maybe?

US town rejects solar farm because locals fear panels will ‘suck up all the energy from the sun’

Network WritersNews Corp Australia

December 15, 2015 5:41AM

TOPICS

World NewsTechnologyEnvironment

A SMALL American town rejected a solar farm proposal after locals complained the panels would suck up all the energy from the sun.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Residents at the Woodland Town Council community meeting in North Carolina also claimed the panels would cause cancer and stop plants from growing, according to the Roanoke-Chowan Herald-News.

Councillors were voting on whether to redefine agriculturally designated land for manufacturing so Strata Solar Company could build a solar farm.

Local Bobby Mann said he watched his community “dry up” when the 1-95 was built and worried a solar farm would do the same, before adding it would use up all the sun’s energy.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

His wife, retired science teacher Jane Mann, feared the proposed solar ranch could thwart photosynthesis and stop plants from growing. She also said no one had proved solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

“I want to know what’s going to happen. I want information. Enough is enough. I don’t see the profit for the town,” she said. “People come with hidden agendas. Until we can find if anything is going to damage this community, we shouldn’t sign any paper.”

Other residents worried the proposed solar farm would hurt housing prices.

Strata Solar Company representative Brent Niemann tried to appease the residents, saying solar panels generate power using sunlight that hits them directly.

“The panels don’t draw additional sunlight,” he said.

But his comments fell on deaf ears. The council voted 3-1 against the proposal and agreed to place a moratorium on future solar farms.

According to NASA, for a solar farm to “suck up all the energy from the sun,” it would have to absorb more than 500 billion horsepower in one second.

I just know how Bobby Mann and his wife look and sound without even seeing or hearing them. I actually read the article in a dumb **** southern American states  drawl in my head..dumb ****s.

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i really dont like the police raids on those media outlets, that information was only classified because its embarrassing to Australia and its a worry that places can be raided over it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If people have a problem with what authorities and/or police are entitled by law to do, then it stands to reason that you need to question the parties involved in bringing those laws into being. In Australia that is the Liberal/National coalition who have ben in power since 2013,and to a lesser extent he ALP who helped pass the laws in the senate , and the reasons why they want those laws and in whose interests are those laws for. It's amazing what can be passed in parliament/s under the guise of national security......stopping boats....stopping muslims......etc

We had an election on May 18th. The electorate couldn't give a rats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sonar said:

If people have a problem with what authorities and/or police are entitled by law to do, then it stands to reason that you need to question the parties involved in bringing those laws into being. In Australia that is the Liberal/National coalition who have ben in power since 2013,and to a lesser extent he ALP who helped pass the laws in the senate , and the reasons why they want those laws and in whose interests are those laws for. It's amazing what can be passed in parliament/s under the guise of national security......stopping boats....stopping muslims......etc

We had an election on May 18th. The electorate couldn't give a rats.

that is a very good point, i mean honestly there are some things we shouldnt know but trying to censor that information is going into very dangerous territory or at least investigating people over releasing that information 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Good to see...I remember at the time this being a hot topic here. I didn't recall it going on over a number of seasons.

AFL and 18 clubs issue apology over racism faced by Adam Goodes
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-07/afl-apologises-unreservedly-for-failures-over-adam-goodes-racism/11191880

The comments on Facebook about this are beyond depressing, a lot of racist bogans out there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a bit late for apologies 6 years after it all kicked off.

The article says the AFL's apology is not "reputation management". Yeah, right. Pretty convenient it comes out just as the doco shaming them does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Carns said:

It's a bit late for apologies 6 years after it all kicked off.

The article says the AFL's apology is not "reputation management". Yeah, right. Pretty convenient it comes out just as the doco shaming them does.

I barely registered the details, but a lot of indigenous players, and maybe others too, came out and expressed remorse that they had not done more to support him at the time.

I  think it's a decent thing to do...even if overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wendybr said:

I  think it's a decent thing to do...even if overdue.

I feel it is lip service to try and attempt to retain some credibility.

This sums it up for me:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Beyond Interesting

 

 

"The day of reckoning is coming", one of the guys from the panel said at the end. We've been hearing this for quite some time now, its not a matter of "if" the bubble bursts, but "when", and once it happens, it's going to be ugly.

I read Plievier's "Moscow" a while back. The author was living in Moscow during WW2. He wrote how, as the Nazi army was approaching, some people were pretending that it was not happening, and they had ball room dances, and drank Crimean bubbly. The way our politicians, the media and the banks "deal" with the mortgage situation has the same flavour.

Just as well that we've got ScoMo and Josh Frydenberg who are going to save us all - by brokering a rescue package by either USA, China, or India, whoever turns out to be the highest bidder.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to put this here...although I could have put it in WFMB Thread - because I thought this was an excellent and thought provoking doco, or in the WRGMG Thread - because the idea that we have become sugar addicts, and how that has unfolded,  is disgusting.

The idea that, even without eating a great deal of sugary junk food, the average Aussie consumes about 40 teaspoons of sugar a day is appalling.

And it shows in the health effect it's having on an increasing number of people - young and old, male and female.

The scene in which the film-maker sits and eats his 40 teaspoons of sugar is truly sickening (not that we actually see him consuming them all).

Anyway - I reckon this is well worth watching.

 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/901631555984/that-sugar-film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Decided to put this here...although I could have put it in WFMB Thread - because I thought this was an excellent and thought provoking doco, or in the WRGMG Thread - because the idea that we have become sugar addicts, and how that has unfolded,  is disgusting.

Anyway - I reckon this is well worth watching.

The ideas that, even without eating a great deal of sugary junk food, the average Aussie consumes about 40 teaspoons of sugar a day is appalling.

And it shows in the health effect it's having on an increasing number of people - young and old, male and female.

The scene in which the film-maker sits and eats his 40 teaspoons of sugar is truly sickening (not that we actually see him consuming them all).

Sugar..meh..i wouldnt have anywhere near that much a day, although i do apprechite it is hidden in some food as you say.

Salt on the other hand. I have a bit of an addiction to salt must admit. Still need to cut down on that as have too much per day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are harmful.

Really - this youngish guy, who is basically on a sugar free diet, goes on a processed food diet, eating what would be seen as sort of healthy foods, but those that are still quite high in sugar - cereals, fruit juices, non-fat flavoured yoghurt, baked beans. For two months..... food containing  forty teaspoons of sugar a day.

The effects  - on his weight (puts on I think 8 kilos) his blood pressure, liver, pancreas (is that where diabetes originates) and his mood are all significant.

The history of how fat was demonised, and sugar came to infiltrate much of our food, is also interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cotton growers sucking the rivers dry at with the permission of the NSW Govt

Federal agency blames NSW for dire state of Barwon-Darling river system https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/12/federal-agency-blames-nsw-for-dire-state-of-barwon-darling-river-system?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thing we've got NSW & Federal Elections coming up where the people can vote out both of these corrupt & inept wreckers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mack said:

Good thing we've got NSW & Federal Elections coming up where the people can vote out both of these corrupt & inept wreckers.

Instead of pencils to mark a ballot perhaps they should hand out crayons...seems to be the level of thought of the average voter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mack said:

Good thing we've got NSW & Federal Elections coming up where the people can vote out both of these corrupt & inept wreckers.

Sad lol. 😢 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people who are currently having to buy bottled water for everything in those communities should......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Legionista said:

 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.smh.com.au/national/top-uni-wants-to-lower-entry-standards-to-counter-student-exodus-20190614-p51xri.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1560549283

Interested to get peoples thoughts on this. I’m very passionate about this topic because I have thought for a while now that unis are just businesses rather than educational institutes which is so wrong.

Time for a royal commission into universities in my opinion. In the 4.5 years that I completed my bachelor and masters degree, the entrance mark for my undergrad course dropped 20 points. God knows how low it is now as I’ve been out of uni for 3 years now. It’s becoming more frequent that I meet people who tell me about the degrees they are studying though are completely oblivious to the fact they will struggle to find employment. Are the uni’s telling them this though? The fact the fee HELP threshold for repayments has decreased to below $50k now says it all really: too many people are going to Uni and leaving without a job or one that pays anything worthy of the time spent studying.

I supervise students who with all respect do not have a clue what they are doing because they really shouldn’t have been accepted into their degrees in the first place. Uni is not meant for everyone.

As much as I love my job, if I had my time again, I would 100% go and do a trade without any doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...