Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Paul01 said:

This one looks like a Federal Govt public affairs story trying to soften everyone to an addition fee for streaming services

How 'the Netflix effect' killed the NBN's dream http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-08/streaming-tv-killed-the-nbns-dream-of-superfast-fixed-wireless/11278694

The "dream" of idiot coalition hacks more like it. Wireless was never intended or designed to be a fixed line substitute.

Wireless and Sat had only been intended for about 7% of the population. The rest were meant to get fttp.

But Rupert wanted to squash competition for Foxtel, so began his propaganda effort to push via Turnull and Abbott, that they were going to be "agnostic" about the technology, hence the switch to scrap the fttp rollout and use slow copper tech.

Big part of that was convincing idiots that "wireless is going to take over so fttp is pointless".

Which of course was a lie. Just like everything that's come out of the Murdoch rags or coalition policy in the last 10 years. 

Followed by the electorate rewarding their lies with back to back to back wins despite having three PMs during the timeframe.

Got a tax break though. I'm sure they'll complain when local services get cut and while the cost of living keeps rising but vote them back in three years too.

Busted internet, no dental Medicare, expensive education, no pension rises, penalty rates cut, sky high electric prices but somehow the country can afford tax cuts for billionaires and banking & mining megacorps though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

This one is far more sinister. 

The current govt is targeting journalists and whistleblowers to stop leaks. 

To me, this is Dutton controlling the asylum.

Federal police accessed journalists' metadata 60 times in a year http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-09/afp-access-journalist-metadata-60-times-in-12-months/11290888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet they never looked at the metadata between Michaelia Cash, her staff and the TV networks that showed up to the AFP raid on the AWU in 2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fascists are running/ruining Australia 

Peter Dutton's home affairs department keeping strategic review secret from public https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/10/peter-duttons-home-affairs-department-keeping-strategic-review-secret-from-public?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its really sad how aboriginal's are still not recognised in the constitution, that said most of us dont give a **** about the constitution but it doenst change how backwards they are not recognised in it is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2019 at 1:44 PM, mack said:

The "dream" of idiot coalition hacks more like it. Wireless was never intended or designed to be a fixed line substitute.

Wireless and Sat had only been intended for about 7% of the population. The rest were meant to get fttp.

But Rupert wanted to squash competition for Foxtel, so began his propaganda effort to push via Turnull and Abbott, that they were going to be "agnostic" about the technology, hence the switch to scrap the fttp rollout and use slow copper tech.

Big part of that was convincing idiots that "wireless is going to take over so fttp is pointless".

Which of course was a lie. Just like everything that's come out of the Murdoch rags or coalition policy in the last 10 years. 

Followed by the electorate rewarding their lies with back to back to back wins despite having three PMs during the timeframe.

Got a tax break though. I'm sure they'll complain when local services get cut and while the cost of living keeps rising but vote them back in three years too.

Busted internet, no dental Medicare, expensive education, no pension rises, penalty rates cut, sky high electric prices but somehow the country can afford tax cuts for billionaires and banking & mining megacorps though.

I too noted the distinct lack of articles noting the absolute disunity of the Liberals as compared to the Rudd-Gillard era

My tax break is going to my savings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Has Dutton changed his spot?

Doubt it...given that this happened over 2 years ago.

Exceptional circumstance, it surely was.

The tone of that article is weird. It sounds accusatory, and as though the writer disapproves, by highlighting warnings about it being likely to stir trouble and was inequitable.

Good on them for finding a glimmer of compassion, and a solution to one suffering person's dilemma.

And hopefully they get the rest out of these places, sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really a big story.

Peter Dutton attempting to silence critics of govt policy. He is starting to look like a scaled down version of Vladimir Putin 

Analysis: AFP wanted fingerprints of journalists behind ABC special forces investigation http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-15/abc-raids-australian-federal-police-press-freedom/11309810

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another that could be in the Alternative Energy thread.

Adani will attempt to discredit legitimate scientists in their attempt to expand their mine. Bunch of criminals IMO 

Adani demands names of CSIRO scientists reviewing groundwater plans http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-16/adani-requests-names-of-csiro-scientists/11308616

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am constantly struck by how, if we were we dependent only on the commercial media, we would virtually never hear a non - white Australian voice or perspective.

Actually...Channel 10 has Walid and does a better job of presenting other perspectives...but 9 and 7??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I am constantly struck by how, if we were we dependent only on the commercial media, we would virtually never hear a non - white Australian voice or perspective.

Actually...Channel 10 has Walid and does a better job of presenting other perspectives...but 9 and 7??

The Today show has Brooke Boney who's an indigenous reporter. She got her say, although after they'd got all the clickbait headlines from Hanson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Davo.

I wouldn't really know, never actually watching anything on commercial TV except their crappy 6 oclock News sometimes, and seeing ads for  their crappy current affairs shows.

But my strong impression is that, compared to the ABC and SBS, where you hear a wide variety of voices and perspectives, on 9 and 7 non-Anglo Australia almost doesn't exist. :unknw:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I don't watch it either. I'd seen an article with her response and I remember her from when she was on Triple J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wendybr said:

But my strong impression is that, compared to the ABC and SBS, where you hear a wide variety of voices and perspectives, on 9 and 7 non-Anglo Australia almost doesn't exist. :unknw:

I have been interested for a number of decades in media depiction of people outside the anglo mainstream.  One area I have noticed a lot of improvement is advertising.  As recently as the naughties you would only see 'ethnics' portrayed in stereotypes, whereas now people from diverse backgrounds can be seen playing 'normal people'.  I know there is economic self interest at play there, but nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right. I notice that also. You don't very often see Muslim women though, or indigenous people.

But yes, it is more noticeable that a variety of people of different backgrounds is depicted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LeeMarvin how is the Uluru issue being accepted in the NT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wendybr said:

@LeeMarvin how is the Uluru issue being accepted in the NT?

Not ignoring you Wendy.  Still debating whether I am brave enough to get drawn in to this line of conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh...OK.

We have had ranging debates here in the past.

Ferocious, but enlightening,  in lots of ways.

I don't think there's anyone left here who would not give someone with different opinions a fair and respectful hearing.

There should be more debate in society rather than less, as people hang out in their respective echo chambers imo.

But obviously if you are reluctant, that's  fair enough.

Your perspctive would be based on very different experiences to most of ours, I suspect, so would be of interest.

Anyway...:):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Newman apparently did not appreciate the way he was portrayed in the adam goodes docu. Or rather: how he portrayed or conducted himself. Also, he didn't appreciate that he wasn't invited to the panel discussion after the docu was aired. 

Newman was taken off the air about a century too late. He exercised his freedom of speech privilege in abundance, and exceeded his use by date. As of last late at the latest, he can clearly be seen as the insensitive man he is. Newman is welcome to open or join a forum where white, protestant, heterosexual men like him spread their bile. I for my part have heard and seen quite enough.

Enjoy your retirement, Sam, and good riddance to you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Legionista said:

The greatness of free speech FCB. 

Odious individuals such as Newman can be seen for who they are. 

Well, he is entitled to an opinion. But this white supremacist was part of a witch hunt. I guess that's a form of free speech. Or was it hate speech? Or just being ignorant and uneducated? Either way, he killed himself off in the process. Prost!

Edited by FCB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Now with all this freedom of speech Folau has claimed....why hasn’t he mentioned this...?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-the-pm-and-most-christians-are-going-to-hell-20190719-p528xx.html

Probably my reaction of :rofl: :rofl: is a bit inappropriate?

But that's  what the whole thing deserves in my opinion. 

And this idiotic  mob have had a couple of million bucks deposited in their bank account?

Unbelievable.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynth said:

Now with all this freedom of speech Folau has claimed....why hasn’t he mentioned this...?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-the-pm-and-most-christians-are-going-to-hell-20190719-p528xx.html

He could probably use that to justify his case that his tweet was not selective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he'd be right about that!

His tweet included 99% of the humans who ever lived, when he cast the net to include all liars (% of people who have told even a little white lie  unknown, but close to 100% I'd think)...as well as the atheists (50% of people in most Western Democratic countries) the fornicators (% ??throughout history) the adulterers (% unknown) etc etc etc.

It was a nutcase religious cult member's general nutcase rant.

It should have been laughed off and ignored.

Well done to the proponents of the outrage culture.

2.2 million bucks...sigh.

Rant over...but it's gone too far....

 

Oh...and I hope Jonathan Pie gets to hear about it! :spiteful:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...