Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

7 minutes ago, sonar said:

It's getting to the stage of ......you don't agree with me then you're my enemy.....a la Trump who is an expert at it. He's not the only one mind you....all sides play this game. One of the reasons I don't or rarely watch TV or consume too much media anymore......most of it is designed to encourage conflict between people......reality tv especially. 

Trump's aim is to intimidate those who don't agree with him. The incendiary crap he deals out is designed to activate the loonies who subsequently pose a very real threat to anyone brave enough to speak out in dissent. So his repulsive view becomes the loudest because those who care are silenced, and the sheeple become indoctrinated.

Fascism 101.

Rant over.

30 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Trump's aim is to intimidate those who don't agree with him. The incendiary crap he deals out is designed to activate the loonies who subsequently pose a very real threat to anyone brave enough to speak out in dissent. So his repulsive view becomes the loudest because those who care are silenced, and the sheeple become indoctrinated.

Fascism 101.

Rant over.

Yup. It’s death by a 1000 cuts. 

The current lying Federal Minister for Energy Angus Taylor caught out again.

this lying b******* happens to my local parliamentarian. Wish I could deduct my tax from the money paid to him to be a waste of space and a big contributor to global warming by speaking crap in parliament and generating methane that goes to waste.

On 22/07/2019 at 10:50 PM, wendybr said:

Great Q&A tonight.

so far only 13 minutes in but agree with a lot of what is being said, trump is not hitler but there are some similarities, the left has made it very difficult to talk about some issues like kate has said, i still believe that if you live in a country you should at least make an attempt to speak their national language but that is racist talk for some even though it applies to every race and every language so if i moved to japan i should at least attempt to learn japanese

looking forward to the mental health part of the episode considering i am pretty invested in that topic

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i still believe that if you live in a country you should at least make an attempt to speak their national language but that is racist talk for some even though it applies to every race and every language so if i moved to japan i should at least attempt to learn japanese

Totally agree, yet I feel native English speakers (I am one) are probably the most arrogant people in the world.  We expect everyone to who comes to our countries to speak English, and yet when we travel overseas we expect people to speak English everywhere we go.

One thing that does make me angry though is when shops and restaurants in Australia only use foreign language writing without accompanying English translations.  In my experience this predominantly occurs with Chinese. 

3 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Totally agree, yet I feel native English speakers (I am one) are probably the most arrogant people in the world.  We expect everyone to who comes to our countries to speak English, and yet when we travel overseas we expect people to speak English everywhere we go.

One thing that does make me angry though is when shops and restaurants in Australia only use foreign language writing without accompanying English translations.  In my experience this predominantly occurs with Chinese. 

Yep. Good post. I don't have a problem if for instance two Indians or Sudanese etc are chatting away together in their native tongue. It would be the same if I was in a non english speaking country and we met up and started to chat, we would naturally speak english.

If I wanted to interact with the locals then I would try to use their language. It's far more easier these days with the myriad of translating/translation apps going around.

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

i completely agree, i mean honesty a lot of people who come to australia from non english speaking countries or even countries where english is widely spoken but still not the main language(germany for example) usually speak enough english, i agree with you that some of us do kinda expect everyone to speak english but never try to learn any other language

i pretty much barely speak english so i am not trying to claim i am superior than anyone cause i am really not :P have a lot of respect for people who can speak many languages but i still think its important you try to speak the main language of the country you live in, and i do have zero issues with anyone speaking in their main language to each other

He might as well say "I don't care, we're not going to discuss it, fake news" because it really doesn't matter, the voters aren't interested and in 3 years they'll be chomping at the bit to re-elect him. He and his coalition mates have spent the better half of a decade being openly corrupt and were just rewarded for it with re-election.

On 24/07/2019 at 9:20 PM, mack said:

He might as well say "I don't care, we're not going to discuss it, fake news" because it really doesn't matter, the voters aren't interested and in 3 years they'll be chomping at the bit to re-elect him. He and his coalition mates have spent the better half of a decade being openly corrupt and were just rewarded for it with re-election.

He going to have to care

Government tries to fend off Angus Taylor inquiry with lobby group letter https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/25/government-tries-to-fend-off-angus-taylor-inquiry-with-lobby-group-letter?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Not sure if this has been posted (it's a little old) but this is... very enlightening

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-21/income-calculator-comparison-australia/9301378

Really puts it into perspective what "middle class" and what a random average person on the street is on

I feel that politicians sort of inflate what 'middle class' actually means so things like this are quite interesting

21 hours ago, wendybr said:

Hadn't seen this before...from his last tour here.

Didn't expect a "Like" from you Ed - you aren't a Jonathan Pie fan, I don't think?

But the "creator", an actor, is extremely likeable - as you probably saw in the interview. 

good on you for giving it a go. 

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

You watching Q&A Goat.

I'm not...so far.

Good guests?

tim costello is very good despite being a bit of a religious nutbag, and eric abetz who isnt amazing but isnt terrible either, tbh dont really know the other guests but they dont seem bad

On 29/07/2019 at 9:46 PM, Neverbloom said:

i very much liked that question i believe an increase in newstart would decrease the suicide rate, a lot of people end their lives because of money issues

Wait what. 

4 minutes ago, Legionista said:

Wait what. 

only took a few seconds of research

https://luskin.ucla.edu/studying-link-poverty-suicides/

even an article from 1995 shows the link

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/suicide-poverty-link-is-reinforced-in-new-study-1592978.html

obviously not all poor people are suicidal and not all suicidal people are poor but its a risk factor then you could look up the links between stress(which poverty causes) and suicide there would be even more links there

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic