Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

well i doubt there is any statistics on it and no one is ever going to kill themselves just over being poor without any other issues but there are people out there where it could be the breaking point, poverty creates a lot of stress especially for example farmers(that said that is not the only reason why farmers have such a high suicide rate other reasons include having no support due to being in a remote area)

i am not saying an increase in newstart would make a huge difference to the suicide rate but for some people it would make the risk not as high, that said i do believe in almost all cases having a job would be far more helpful than an increase in newstart

thoughts on people trying to ban raheem kassam from speaking in australia? honestly i really know nothing about him but i dont know if this is similar to the milo case or not, again i am usually anti censorship and if he is going to offend people then i dont care but if he is going to incite violence then that is a different story

2 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

thoughts on people trying to ban raheem kassam from speaking in australia? honestly i really know nothing about him but i dont know if this is similar to the milo case or not, again i am usually anti censorship and if he is going to offend people then i dont care but if he is going to incite violence then that is a different story

I don't think that many know who he is but now there's a move to ban him he gets the publicity. Perhaps an OG from the ALP

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Watching 4 Corners...probing the construction industry, and the current dramas.

Just HORRIFYING!

What a nightmare for so many owners. :(:(

Tip of the iceberg, what has gone up over the last 5 years will be the slums of the future. 

New unit blocks spring up like mushrooms, with asking prices of $900,000 for a one bed unit in some cases, what could possibly go wrong lol

Edited by Erimus
5 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Tip of the iceberg, what has gone up over the last 5 years will be the slums of the future. 

New unit blocks spring up like mushrooms, with asking prices of $900,000 for a one bed unit in some cases, what could possibly go wrong lol

Developers cutting costs to make the biggest profit at the cost of safety.

I say "Who benefits?"

Some senior citizens can't be trusted operating the TV remote control, while Alan Jones sits in front of a microphone.

Jones reminds me more and more of the grumpy old men of my childhood, the guys who would be looking over their garden gate, and yell at children just because they dared walking past their house on the footpath. Or the senior man who yelled at a young boy at Cherrybrook metro station (and shortly after the boy's mum) for a similar "offense".

Some demand that Alan Jones be taken off the air. I disagree. If that was to happen he'd be considered a martyr, and he'd cry foul for the rest of his life. Instead, let him rant, but he needs to be held accountable, as media watch did last night. If he really has lost that plot then he'll dismantle himself over time.

24 minutes ago, FCB said:

Some senior citizens can't be trusted operating the TV remote control, while Alan Jones sits in front of a microphone.

Jones reminds me more and more of the grumpy old men of my childhood, the guys who would be looking over their garden gate, and yell at children just because they dared walking past their house on the footpath. Or the senior man who yelled at a young boy at Cherrybrook metro station (and shortly after the boy's mum) for a similar "offense".

Some demand that Alan Jones be taken off the air. I disagree. If that was to happen he'd be considered a martyr, and he'd cry foul for the rest of his life. Instead, let him rant, but he needs to be held accountable, as media watch did last night. If he really has lost that plot then he'll dismantle himself over time.

He does that now

12 hours ago, Erimus said:

I read somewhere that France in the 80s has something similar - and as you said, those apartment blocks are now slums.

Meanwhile Domain and Real Estate are spruiking how literally unliveable properties are being sold for 1.2-1.6m

All this says to me is that there are a lot of dumb rich people in this country 

6 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I read somewhere that France in the 80s has something similar - and as you said, those apartment blocks are now slums.

Meanwhile Domain and Real Estate are spruiking how literally unliveable properties are being sold for 1.2-1.6m

All this says to me is that there are a lot of dumb rich people in this country 

Ive travelled a bit and the concrete tower block estates to the north of Paris are well grim, as bad as anything you will see all over Europe. When people say how beautiful Paris is i think of the poor ****ers stuck in there.

19 hours ago, Erimus said:

We do great things in this country but we do really stupid things as well.  We have regional areas with plenty of space/land but lacking water & transport infrastructure ( fast rail ). Instead of building infrastructure to open the regions we try to cram millions into the the already crowded cities......

I feel a rant coming on so I'll stop here....lol

Edited by sonar
14 hours ago, sonar said:

We do great things in this country but we do really stupid things as well.  We have regional areas with plenty of space/land but lacking water & transport infrastructure ( fast rail ). Instead of building infrastructure to open the regions we try to cram millions into the the already crowded cities......

I feel a rant coming on so I'll stop here....lol

There have been (still are?) attempts to decentralise with llimited success. It seems moving to Albury, Wagga Wagga and the like isn't appealing enough. More/better infrastructure might make them more appealing options. But with governments struggling to fund and provide the infrastructure needs of the crowded cities that isn't deemed a high enough priority. 

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

There have been (still are?) attempts to decentralise with llimited success. It seems moving to Albury, Wagga Wagga and the like isn't appealing enough. More/better infrastructure might make them more appealing options. But with governments struggling to fund and provide the infrastructure needs of the crowded cities that isn't deemed a high enough priority. 

That way way back in Gouth Withlam's time and the mistake made was also made by the NSW Gov at the time in the Bathurst / Orange was they are inland... as a people we like to live on the coast line and generally speaking our coast lines get more rain than inland...

Just saying if they moved say 50K, public service positions to at random, Grafton, Newcastle and Gosford or similar sized regional coastal centres and we took decentralisation more seriously it would improve the quality of life for both big city folk and regional centre folk...

An example the ATO moved just under 900 jobs to Gosford, many where locals travelling to Sydney each day... the effect has been huge in Gosford and Main Street [Main Street is a long street that the Gosford CBD is located on] pre ATO was lifeless, soulless, and crap... today its changing and has some hip little places ...

12 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

That way way back in Gouth Withlam's time and the mistake made was also made by the NSW Gov at the time in the Bathurst / Orange was they are inland... as a people we like to live on the coast line and generally speaking our coast lines get more rain than inland...

Just saying if they moved say 50K, public service positions to at random, Grafton, Newcastle and Gosford or similar sized regional coastal centres and we took decentralisation more seriously it would improve the quality of life for both big city folk and regional centre folk...

An example the ATO moved just under 900 jobs to Gosford, many where locals travelling to Sydney each day... the effect has been huge in Gosford and Main Street [Main Street is a long street that the Gosford CBD is located on] pre ATO was lifeless, soulless, and crap... today its changing and has some hip little places ...

There'a an interesting discussion to be had about decentralisation.....pro's and cons..........my main point was the overcrowding in cities....what can you do to overcome it so your not living in a high rise hell. The same thing that is happening in Sydney will by extension of population growth happen in Gosford and other coastal areas..

Edited by sonar
47 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Newcastle, Gosford and Wollongong should have been developed to take the pressure of Sydney years ago. Look at the state of the trains to Newcastle and time it takes...stuck in the 70's.

The focus of the Eddie Obeid network was (and is) elsewhere.

Journalist and Vatican analyst Deborah Castellano Lubov said the Vatican was being "prudent" by delaying its own investigation. "The Vatican does not take lightly the sentences or rulings of the Australian courts; however, there have been cases where innocent people have been accused and they eventually won their appeals," she said.

Pell is lucky. Had he been charged by the Catholic Church for being a heretic, witch, gay, Jew, protestant, muslim, or scientists at the wrong time in history, he would have been finished off quick smart, and with astonishing brutality.

I doubt that she had Giardano Bruno in mind who had his mouth nailed shut, was put on public display naked and upside down before he was burned on the stake. For what? For proposing (from wiki) "that the stars were distant suns surrounded by their own planets and he raised the possibility that these planets might foster life of their own, a philosophical position known as cosmic pluralism. He also insisted that the universe is infinite and could have no center". Outrageous crime!

Galileo received an apology 359 after the guilty verdict. Bruno, 419 years after his execution, is still waiting. Who needs the devil when you have an organization like the Catholic Church participating and/or instigating organized crime?

Catholic archbishop of Melbourne Peter Comensoli says that he believes "in what Pell said to me, on many occasions, that he’s innocent and I continue to be really quite shocked with all of how things are developed,”

Message for Comensoli: paedophiles are never guilty of what they are accused of. The jails are full of men who **** children, and feel misunderstood. 

16 minutes ago, FCB said:

Catholic archbishop of Melbourne Peter Comensoli says that he believes "in what Pell said to me, on many occasions, that he’s innocent and I continue to be really quite shocked with all of how things are developed,”

Message for Comensoli: paedophiles are never guilty of what they are accused of. The jails are full of men who **** children, and feel misunderstood. 

Many? Before, during or after the trial?

And while their at it with Pell, the authorities should take everyone of the bastards that concealed/protected the other known paedophiles in the Catholic church or elsewhere to court and accuse them of being accessories after the fact or perverting the course of justice or whatever the law allows.

26 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Many? Before, during or after the trial?

And while their at it with Pell, the authorities should take everyone of the bastards that concealed/protected the other known paedophiles in the Catholic church or elsewhere to court and accuse them of being accessories after the fact or perverting the course of justice or whatever the law allows.

Ah, yes, but which authorities?

In the European witch hunts the Catholic witch hunters palmed off the responsibility to the legal authorities, and let them do the dirty work of the actual murder of innocent women.

But a few hundred years on, medieval witch hunts can be seen as organised mass murder in the name of God. Catholicism is yet to come clear for that instrumental part it played in that killing frenzy. And no one has held them responsible. 

The organised mass **** of children at a global scale is a different matter though. It happened right under the noses of this generation. Had this occurred under the umbrella of a secular organisation, that very organisation would have been shut down, and torn down.

Different rules apply when the Catholic Church is doing the same thing. Look no further than the character references two ex prime ministers provided for Pell, and Craig Kelly who sang straight of the Bolt hymn sheet in support of Pell. That these guys were unable to distinguish between the man they knew, and how others knew him, is astounding. 

Australia is a secular state that opens parliamentary seating at both federal and state level with the Lord's prayer!? It's is no surprise then hat politicians were unable/unwilling to tackle the church in general, and Pell in particular. Instead, it took the resolve of the survivor of child sexual abuse, and the pro bono work of his lawyer, to seek justice. Their legacy will be long lasting, both nationally, and globally. 

It is encouraging that the courts had no trouble when it came to applying the law - twice! At the same time, that people like Bolt and Devine are trying to undermine the legal process is a big worry - laymen self promoting themselves to the status of legal commentators. Dear oh dear.

No surprises there though - after all, we are living in a country where both Abbott and Jones can stand under a "ditch the witch" tifo, and yet: their careers and public standing were not affected.

7 hours ago, FCB said:

Ah, yes, but which authorities?

In the European witch hunts the Catholic witch hunters palmed off the responsibility to the legal authorities, and let them do the dirty work of the actual murder of innocent women.

But a few hundred years on, medieval witch hunts can be seen as organised mass murder in the name of God. Catholicism is yet to come clear for that instrumental part it played in that killing frenzy. And no one has held them responsible. 

The organised mass **** of children at a global scale is a different matter though. It happened right under the noses of this generation. Had this occurred under the umbrella of a secular organisation, that very organisation would have been shut down, and torn down.

Different rules apply when the Catholic Church is doing the same thing. Look no further than the character references two ex prime ministers provided for Pell, and Craig Kelly who sang straight of the Bolt hymn sheet in support of Pell. That these guys were unable to distinguish between the man they knew, and how others knew him, is astounding. 

Australia is a secular state that opens parliamentary seating at both federal and state level with the Lord's prayer!? It's is no surprise then hat politicians were unable/unwilling to tackle the church in general, and Pell in particular. Instead, it took the resolve of the survivor of child sexual abuse, and the pro bono work of his lawyer, to seek justice. Their legacy will be long lasting, both nationally, and globally. 

It is encouraging that the courts had no trouble when it came to applying the law - twice! At the same time, that people like Bolt and Devine are trying to undermine the legal process is a big worry - laymen self promoting themselves to the status of legal commentators. Dear oh dear.

No surprises there though - after all, we are living in a country where both Abbott and Jones can stand under a "ditch the witch" tifo, and yet: their careers and public standing were not affected.

Simplistically, the police.

There is still the option of a high court appeal. It’s not over yet. And the further away it gets from the evidence of a man who has only wanted justice for himself and his friend, the more likely a court will over turn. :( I can’t celebrate yet. Not till the final court rejects his appeal. 

2 hours ago, Cynth said:

There is still the option of a high court appeal. It’s not over yet. And the further away it gets from the evidence of a man who has only wanted justice for himself and his friend, the more likely a court will over turn. :( I can’t celebrate yet. Not till the final court rejects his appeal. 

He'll have to be given leave to appeal before it even makes it to there though. It notoriously difficult to get special leave for an appeal in the High Court. They only ever end up hearing 10-20% of the cases that apply for leave. 

I'd be interested to know on what grounds they're appealing. There needs to have been error of law. They can't just appeal for the sake of appealing. 

26 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Doesn't matter really, the damage is done. His supporters are and won't change their opinion, but his credibility in the public domain is gone.

The crazy bit in all of this: people are happy to belief stories about events that were written 2000 years ago by someone who wasn't actually present, decades after the event. Yet the same people will not believe a man claiming "George Pell raped me", just because the Catholic Church mustn't be proven wrong. That would be too much too handle.

I've experienced this kind or argument with German Nazis. The holocaust didn't happen - "show me the mass graves", they'd say. Eyewitness accounts don't matter. I pointed out to one of them that, in the KZ Flossenbuerg, 40,000 people died, and that the ashes of many are still there. He dismissed the comment about the ashes, and claimed that people weren't killed there, but were "processed". Deny deny deny.

Lunacy in right-wing church, financial, and political circles - the similarities are baffling. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic