wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

43 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Old Chinese proverb "A hollow drum beats the loudest"

I can tell you who's making the most noise in the world at the moment.

One of my favourites

When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
Next best is a leader who is loved.
next, one who is feared.
The worst is one who is despised.

If you don't trust the people,
you make them untrustworthy.

The Master doesn't talk, he acts.
When his work is done,
the people say, "Amazing:
we did it, all by ourselves!"

Even if it is bunk, not happening, or just caused by something else - (I'm ignoring all the evidence here....) living sustainably is something we will NEED to do in the very near future.

Edited by marron

38 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

That is why we have a democratic election process.  The majority of people weigh a number of considerations before making a decision. Obviously they have not yet been convinced or we would have a radical Green Left government now.

Old Chinese proverb "A hollow drum beats the loudest"

Even if you aren't one of them, are there people in Darwin who point to what they perceive as evidence of CC, Lee?

In Western Sydney, it would be more heatwave type events and significantly fewer rainy days, I think.

We don't hear much from your neck of the woods?

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

We don't hear much from your neck of the woods?

No need to.  All the morally and intellectually superior types in the big cities down South already know everything anyway ;)

11 minutes ago, marron said:

One of my favourites

That is a good proverb Marron.  Is it Confucius, Lao Tzu or Machiavelli perhaps?

2 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

No need to.  All the morally and intellectually superior types in the big cities down South already know everything anyway ;)

C'mon...don't be like that. :(

3 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

That is a good proverb Marron.  Is it Confucius, Lao Tzu or Machiavelli perhaps?

Lao Tzu that one. :)

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

C'mon...don't be like that. :(

I will respond in detail later.  Have to finish the housework before I pick the Mrs up from work.  Am an unemployed house husband these days :)

2 minutes ago, marron said:

Lao Tzu that one. :)

If I am right Confucius is more paternalistic and hierarchical in his views on society where Lao Tzu is into achieving harmony through balance yeah?

Do we have a philosophy thread?  Seem to have one for everything else.

17 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

If I am right Confucius is more paternalistic and hierarchical in his views on society where Lao Tzu is into achieving harmony through balance yeah?

Yes...there is one!

Well, unless it has spiralled off into oblivion, through lack of use.

It was good...imo!

I'll go look!

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

Well, I guess they both deal with balance in their own way.

Confucius says balance will be achieved by everyone shutting the **** up and doing what they are told. Know your place.

I guess Lao Tzu says balance already exists, if only people would stop ******* with it. Find the right place.

10 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Car door 

:P

@mack where is the Philosophy Thread?

Or has it died?

Can't find it using my phone. :(

Was that the actual title? I tried using the search here and google and nothing came up.

Almost certain it was....just Philosophy Thread.

Nothing came up for me either...using the forum search.

It wouldn't have been used for years.

Haven't seen the thread in years, probably got purged in one of the forum upgrades/migrations.

4 minutes ago, Carns said:

Haven't seen the thread in years, probably got purged in one of the forum upgrades/migrations.

Yes...

If not in the Hall of Fame, which it wouldn't have been...it might have just dropped off into the abyss.

@mack 

So....now all we need is to have it opened again? :meep:

It's  been good having the 2 Not Politics Threads...I'm sure you agree.  :meep::meep:

It's archived, so you'd need to open a new thread. I didn't realise archiving disabled a topic coming up in the search. I might move the archive timeframe back a few years.

OK...so it's different to when you temporarily locked a thread?

PS FCB remembered it had a more creative title, and successfully searched for it...I assume.

37 minutes ago, wendybr said:

OK...so it's different to when you temporarily locked a thread?

Yeah. There's an archive system that mostly does stuff in the background of the server to reduce load. It's different to just me locking threads.

Thanks Mack.:)

5 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

that is true honestly in general i am a pretty negative person so a lot of that is why i think its useless trying anything but that doesnt mean every course of action is pointless

Back in a time long forgot as the recording of it IMO has changed from the what my personal experiences where... but back way back some people burnt their draft cards in the US... it started an anti war / peace movement ... the music industry or parts of it picked up on it... some time latter movies and in time TV... but the reaction to the anti Vietnam war demos did not start with massive media support .. people like John Wayne came out supporting police action against university students and Elvis gave support to the establishment of the day...

Our own Normie Rowe was drafted into the army and Ronnie Burns wrote Smiley about how Normie had changed ... Years latter it was discovered that Normie's number did not come out in the draft he was hand picked...

The way the anti war demos are presented today shows major support when in fact most of the media and the establishment of the day constantly put down the movement ..

Woodstock was a festival to protest the war ... but outside mostly young people it was roundly condemned by  the establishment of the day...

So protest does work but it takes time to take hold...

For those who where not around at the time let me leave you with 3 things to youtube, the first an Australian protest song, second IMO the best anti war of the era [subjective choice], finally a comedy sketch.

1] Australian song... about the effect on people that we love..   Ronnie Burns .... Smiley.... BTW the song was written by Johnny Young

2]  Just a protest song about the war ... quite short, sung live and unbelievable lyrics ... by  Country Joe Fish ... Vietnam Song..

3]  Its long just over 18 minutes, get the original has a yellow cover, without doubt one of the funniest things you can listen too and has been so copied and the way authority is sent up ... by Arlo Guthrie ... song / sketch Alice's Restaurant ..

Edited by Midfielder

Inspired by Middy's post...from little things, big things grow.

It's how change happens. In increments...but it builds.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Inspired by Middy's post...from little things, big things grow.

It's how change happens. In increments...but it builds.

Wen

Agree... the 16 year old girl is kinda a spark that has set off a building powder keg of frustration ... in and of herself she is normal... it comes strange ways ...  if not her it would have been something else...

What is so so frustrating for me anyway is the lack of responsible research especially by lets says left media... they play into the hands of the fossil fuel industry by making often outlandish claims ...

There is so much evidence especially about costing of renewable's that is not highlighted ... and like I said about Blinky he has mountains of evidence on EV's essentially over 70% of the world market is going EV within 20 years ... and battery tech is exploding ... not to mention cost saving on maintenance and less replacements...

Yet Blinky was incapable of explaining detail and made in vague ... 

Also WTF said that climate change was a left issue... how do we allow such lies ... and miss representation of the facts...

Like the anti war movement of the late 60's early 70's ... this will only get bigger ... 

But as I said like many things its often something quite small thats sets off people to finally vent their anger and frustration ... back to my post a way back.. how Blinky Bill has the hide to still sit as a member IMO shows a very shallow and self centred man...

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

PS FCB remembered it had a more creative title, and successfully searched for it...I assume.

He did neither. I merely flicked through the off topic thread until I found the word philosophy. Simples.