Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

To FBC's post

Lol...well I first searched using 'Philosophy Thread"...and got 100s of "Thread" matches.

Then searched using "Philosophy" ....and it's surprising how often THAT word is used throughout our forums....everywhere.

And then I did what women sensibly do....and asked for assistance. :lol: :lol:

And voila!

 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, wendybr said:

I love seeing people getting the issue talked about, ans showing their passion, but I agree that this isnt the way to win people over.

Suggestions? 

Given that overwhelming evidence hasn’t worked either

Im struggling to see an alternative, besides as a method it has worked before throughout history change has come out of protest movements  

the only hope is that power is slowly shifting from the baby boomer gen (and I’m not in anyway blaming all boomers) to younger generations 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

To FBC's post

Lol...well I first searched using 'Philosophy Thread"...and got 100s of "Thread" matches.

Then searched using "Philosophy" ....and it's surprising how often THAT word is used throughout our forums....everywhere.

And then I did what women sensibly do....and asked for assistance. :lol: :lol:

And voila!

 

It’s use has probably dropped since Gumby went, he loved a good philosophy that mofo

Share this post


Link to post

Could be :good:...but it's still being used frequently.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Suggestions? 

Given that overwhelming evidence hasn’t worked either

Im struggling to see an alternative, besides as a method it has worked before throughout history change has come out of protest movements  

the only hope is that power is slowly shifting from the baby boomer gen (and I’m not in anyway blaming all boomers) to younger generations 

 

I said it the other day...I can see any solution, ither than people changing only when they are directly and painfully impacted.

Im listening to Alan Jones atm.

Had a dairy farmer in tears on...listeners are texting in about beinv in tears for "our poor farmers".

They're ranting against the supermarkets (100% fair enough) and "bastard  politicians" (fair enough).

They're demanding Scott Morrison ( Mr How Good's Australia) to DO SOMETHING!! 

At the same time as Jones sneers at any possibility that this is evidence of anything indiative of  Climate Change.

They don't seem to want to pause for a minute to consider the possibility that you can't just snap your fingers and fix any problem with cash.

:unknw:

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Suggestions? 

Given that overwhelming evidence hasn’t worked either

Im struggling to see an alternative, besides as a method it has worked before throughout history change has come out of protest movements  

I agree that protest is the only way to kick start politicians.

Politics is downstream off  the mood of the people.

But pissing off people rather than bringing them on board is counter productive imo.

Re a power shift to younger people...I'm happy to think of it.

They are better educated and not so closed minded. They are hopefully out of the reach of climate denying dinosaurs like AJ and co.

If it takes the kids hitting the streets....I'm all for it. Absolutely.

But not supergluing themselves there in peak hour.

Share this post


Link to post

Lol....but here's an example of Extinction Rebellion doing people a favour.

Melbourne tram strike called off because of Extinction Rebellion protest

http://flip.it/fgwsa8

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I agree that protest is the only way to kick start politicians.

Politics is downstream off  the mood of the people.

But pissing off people rather than bringing them on board is counter productive imo.

Re a power shift to younger people...I'm happy to think of it.

They are better educated and not so closed minded. They are hopefully out of the reach of climate denying dinosaurs like AJ and co.

If it takes the kids hitting the streets....I'm all for it. Absolutely.

But not supergluing themselves there in peak hour.

We have spent about 5 pages of you defending the next generation of climate denying its a left wing conspiracy, PC gone mad, Alan Jones style nobhead

style and medium are different but the bulk of the substance is the same 

which is the bit I don’t get 

our meme loving mate is consistent 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We have spent about 5 pages of you defending the next generation of climate denying its a left wing conspiracy, PC gone mad, Alan Jones style nobhead

style and medium are different but the bulk of the substance is the same 

which is the bit I don’t get 

our meme loving mate is consistent 

I've done nothing more than defending his right to having a voice. And his audience has that right also.

I've said some of his guests are interesting, even though I don't agree with them.

And it's interesting/enlightening trying to understand people with different opinions...on many ( but not all) subjects.

That's about it.

We'd be living in a dictatorship, with thought police on the prowl, if that wasn't the case.

:):)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, wendybr said:

I've done nothing more than defending his right to having a voice. And his audience has that right also.

I've said some of his guests are interesting, even though I don't agree with them.

And it's interesting/enlightening trying to understand people with different opinions...on many ( but not all) subjects.

That's about it.

We'd be living in a dictatorship, with thought police on the prowl, if that wasn't the case.

:):)

But you are in denial that he is a enabler of hard right racists and climate change deniers. Look at the people he chooses to give a voice to and those that he mocks (mostly kicking down)

It's ok for people to have a "voice" but if they are spreading hate and/or incorrect nonsense, they need to be challenged, which he doesn't do (unless it is the loony left)

As for the (but not all), I'd probably put white supremacy in there. 

I'd also say that you have gone further defend his right  to a voice. You have actively made the point that he isn't a RW nut job, when I would say he is. You can then debate if RW nut jobs should have a voice or not, (I'm not black and white on that) but he is a RW nut job. 

He's Miranda Device for the twitter generation, his views are more aligned to Andrew Bolt, Devine etc. than they aren't. You seem to rightfully see Devine and the DT as harmful and ugly, but see him as fine (as his style is better although his substance is the same). Which is the disconnect I struggle with.

I'll take the  last line as a joke as it is straight out of the crap he (and Miranda Deviine / Andrew Bold) sprouts..

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

Stringer

Re Alan Jones and similar who take hard right issues and make them seem as if the lord above declared these as what must be.

Banning or denying them the right to talk is the last thing we need to do as to sent them underground is not smart.

My belief, is the left [if that is the right word] has lost the ability to argue...

In my post on the previous page I gave a quite detailed example on one only issue on Climate Change in the last election and it was how the introduction of electric vehicles would be done..  Labour lost the debate because of the reference to a tradies ute choice... yet the debate was beyond easy to win the arguments put forward where doom / gloom and if you don't believe you are some kind of bad person.

Deep deep deep down in my soul, many of the arguments by people wanting climate change look like starting under graduates in an arts degree.... 

I am in no way denying or underestimating the power and influence that the fossil fuel industry has. It is  the biggest industry in the world and we fight wars  over it.

Its because of this and to counter the skill that people like Jones has [yes he is a very capable man] that the arguments need to well researched and evidence based.

Thats why I keep putting up heaps of evidence on the renewable's thread... 

This is an example of how to argue ... we need to get stuff like this and take some grabs from it...

BTW I am not making this the sole reason... but like the last election and my EV's example very often where referral to outside evidence would easily win a debate... we tend to call upon the emotion of the issue.. and loose.. 

Enjoy this..

 

Share this post


Link to post

^^^^^^^

The vid in the above is IMO how we start the debate .... we need leaders capable of putting this vid is easy to understand terms rather than on emotion... 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Stringer

Re Alan Jones and similar who take hard right issues and make them seem as if the lord above declared these as what must be.

Banning or denying them the right to talk is the last thing we need to do as to sent them underground is not smart.

My belief, is the left [if that is the right word] has lost the ability to argue...

In my post on the previous page I gave a quite detailed example on one only issue on Climate Change in the last election and it was how the introduction of electric vehicles would be done..  Labour lost the debate because of the reference to a tradies ute choice... yet the debate was beyond easy to win the arguments put forward where doom / gloom and if you don't believe you are some kind of bad person.

Deep deep deep down in my soul, many of the arguments by people wanting climate change look like starting under graduates in an arts degree.... 

I am in no way denying or underestimating the power and influence that the fossil fuel industry has. It is  the biggest industry in the world and we fight wars  over it.

Its because of this and to counter the skill that people like Jones has [yes he is a very capable man] that the arguments need to well researched and evidence based.

Thats why I keep putting up heaps of evidence on the renewable's thread... 

This is an example of how to argue ... we need to get stuff like this and take some grabs from it...

BTW I am not making this the sole reason... but like the last election and my EV's example very often where referral to outside evidence would easily win a debate... we tend to call upon the emotion of the issue.. and loose.. 

Enjoy this..

 

I’m not talking about or advocating the banning Rubin, Jones, Bolt etc (although he may accuse the left of that, “I’m being suppressed”!)

But I’d ban Tommy’s Robinson from twitter, he isn’t owed a platform to spread racism, just I would advocate banning any other neo nazi group or terrorist Group.

 

my issue with Rubin is that he provides a non critical platform to these people he had a British racist and leader of EDP on his show and just nodded along with him, he posted that it was left wing agenda that Robinson was banned from twitter (it isn’t it is that he is an extreme racist) 

Rubin then goes on to later post that Greta is victim of a Left wing climate conspiracy.

so to be clear I’m not advocating for Alan Jones or Rubin or Mirand Devine to be banned. 

but their views  need to be exposed for what they are 

My issue to @wendybr (and sorry I don’t mean to be personal) but as someone who clearly believes in climate change, and equality and who is against Miranda Devine / Jones etc. How Rubin can be defended, as being any better? He’s actually more dangerous as his delivery is far cleverer, but his content is largely the same.

if you go through his posts and look at who he defends and who he attacks his agenda is pretty clear. He then uses free speech as his defence for everything.

he’s a right wing climate change denying loon, should he banned? No, but to hold him up as some sort of champion of intellectual debate is total bollocks.

his shows are bringing what was and should be edge case nutters and making it mainstream acceptable again.

 

as for the “left” losing the skill of debating, I’m not convinced there. The problem is it doesn’t matter how much evidence you give, how much you post Jones and his type are not going to listen or budge, that’s not a loss of ability to debate on the climate believers side it’s a lack of the deniers to listen or participate in reasoned debate. 

You can’t have fact based debate with somebody who em is unable to accept facts.

Sure there are some terrible speakers on issues and the twat with the green left weekly at Newtown station hardly helps, but plenty of great communicators are in the debate and dismissed.

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

Stringer agree with most of your post...

If you have not watch that vid I posted and you will be astonished what world leader started to the world we need climate change... and what country is the most advanced and doing themost about it.... and we let the right say the opposite to what are facts and like my EV example ... the claims are so easily over shown to be laughable but the arguments keep playing into political games 

Also given recent Queensland government action and my post a while back that anti Vietnam marches where largely not liked at the time here is a little vid when Ragan called in the National Guard no less to quell student anti war marches...

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Stringer agree with most of your post...

If you have not watch that vid I posted and you will be astonished what world leader started to the world we need climate change... and what country is the most advanced and doing themost about it.... and we let the right say the opposite to what are facts and like my EV example ... the claims are so easily over shown to be laughable but the arguments keep playing into political games 

Also given recent Queensland government action and my post a while back that anti Vietnam marches where largely not liked at the time here is a little vid when Ragan called in the National Guard no less to quell student anti war marches...

 

I’m nearly finished on the first video (conservative guide to climate change)

its really very good.

couple of  things from it, it’s definition of an “extreme left” is one I can see, the one  that wants to dismantle the “capitalist system” (which I don’t agree with) and is linking climate change as needing to us needing to dismantle capatalism to fix.

and yes they aren’t helpful of climate change cause (or of left or at least where I sit either)

As much as I’ll go Billy Bragg on things I do see that global capitalism has improved standard of livings and is a big reason why I can type this crap on a pocket sized computer...

The thatcher thing is very interesting too, given Boris Johnson’s recent antics.

I was astonished on the political leader who was early to climate change, although I’d read about that earlier 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/uncooperative-crusties-boris-johnson-attacks-extinction-rebellion-activists

The videos use of the term Political Correct is interesting too (a different definition and maybe a more correct one) it’s a different definition to what I’d use But that’s a long post in itself 

Thanks for posting 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

Talking to global warming deniers is like talking to flat Earthers, or the guys who are yet to get the concept of Copernicus. Or Holocaust deniers. Waste of time and oxygen. Don't know why some of you guys bother. Idiots shall be idiots. 

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, FCB said:

Talking to global warming deniers is like talking to flat Earthers, or the guys who are yet to get the concept of Copernicus. Or Holocaust deniers. Waste of time and oxygen. Don't know why some of you guys bother. Idiots shall be idiots. 

It’s a leftist conspiracy 

it’s raining tomorrow that proves it’s false 

Share this post


Link to post

How narrow must your focus be :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post

This is a great article...except the inaction has been for longer than 30 years.

Parliamentarians deserve our wrath for 30 years of inaction, not climate protesters

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2019/oct/12/parliamentarians-deserve-our-wrath-for-30-years-of-inaction-not-climate-protesters?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post

i am posting to apologise and this seems like a good enough place to do so since a lot of my anti feminist posts have been posted here

there are some nutcase feminists out there but there are nutcases of every group, i too often grouped you all together, i am a white male who loves metal, video games and has a huge mental illness, most of those groups have some form of stigma, if someone is violent and murders someone its because of metal, or video games or mental health issues, there have been plenty of ****ed up white males out there too, i would hate to be grouped up with them but i grouped up all feminists together which is just not fair at all, yes there are extreme elements i do not like but i focused on that and painted all feminists with the same brush and that isnt at all fair.

 

i tend to obsess over a specific topic its part of my mental health and how i cope, i did watch tonnes of anti feminists videos over and over and over and yes it was not healthy or fair, usually i focus on a video game or some music or football but i did focus on the wrong thing and i shouldnt have done that, yes there are parts of society where men have it worse, the suicide rate for men is extremely high compared to females and in a few other ways men have it worse but in general men have it easier and i ignored all those advantages because obviously mental health is close to my heart so that is where my focus was but i was extremely biased and unfair and lucky i am doing better mentally for the most part so i can see things from a more clear perspective and it was unfair on me to focus on the more extreme elements of feminism for such a longest time.

 

its just one of those things that i let myself affect me for too long, even the likes of milo who i used to be a fan of(not a massive fan or anything but i would watch occasional videos of his) my ex showed me a video of him saying that groping women is alright which it obviously is not even close to alright so i am glad i dont like him anymore, i dont think he is satan but i dont like him either

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...