Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

On 13/10/2019 at 9:27 AM, wendybr said:

This is a great article...except the inaction has been for longer than 30 years.

Parliamentarians deserve our wrath for 30 years of inaction, not climate protesters

https://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2019/oct/12/parliamentarians-deserve-our-wrath-for-30-years-of-inaction-not-climate-protesters?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Thats not what your mate thinks 

This is what I can’t work out with you, you post this but spend pages defending a guy that makes a living from ridiculing the protesters, and selling a line that they are being manipulated by some left wing conspiracy.

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

Can't watch the slaughter images......but 7.30  is examining the barbarity of what happens to 1000s of race horses a year, when they are no longer wanted.

At abbatoirs.

Hope this causes utter outrage.

******* horrendous.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Can't watch the slaughter images......but 7.30  is examining the barbarity of what happens to 1000s of race horses a year, when they are no longer wanted.

At abbatoirs. Hope this causes utter outrage.

******* horrendous.

You’d hope it would, but the greyhound one rightfully caused outrage for a while but people move on 

Share this post


Link to post

It's often not hard to feel ashamed to be human.

Watching that expose is one of the most distressing things I've seen.

And if people only put down money once a year on the Melboune Cup, they are complicit in supporting this disgusting industry.

Working hand in glove with another disgusting and exploitative industry....the greyhound industry.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

You’d hope it would, but the greyhound one rightfully caused outrage for a while but people move on 

That's  true.

Probably the most you can hope for is that the image of some well known horses suffering and being subjected to such barbaric and horrendous treatment will help to have some just walk away from supporting racing.

Share this post


Link to post

I’d add though that I have no idea if it had a lasting effect you would hope that greyhound expose lead to change in the industry and then weeding out the problem trainers etc. as there are people in that industry who care for their dogs well.

Ive never been one for either, but I know of good people who have been involved In Greyhounds 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post

"Good people"...in what sense?

How does that manifest...in an industry that depends on the exploitation of intelligent animals?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It's often not hard to feel ashamed to be human.

Watching that expose is one of the most distressing things I've seen.

And if people only put down money once a year on the Melboune Cup, they are complicit in supporting this disgusting industry.

Working hand in glove with another disgusting and exploitative industry....the greyhound industry.

Couldn't agree more, I found it very hard to watch. I am angry and disgusted, this industry ought to be shut down. Surely anyone watching this would never bet on a horse or attend a race meeting ever again.

Share this post


Link to post

Why does it matter how intelligent the animal is?

 

Why is a horse being slaughtered in an abbatoir any different to a cow or a lamb or a chicken?

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

"Good people"...in what sense?

How does that manifest...in an industry that depends on the exploitation of intelligent animals?

 

 

A person who was a regular on here worked for them I believe. Also have known families with dogs, back when I was at school 

don’t claim to be any expert on it, and like I say it’s not my thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Surely many watching this would never bet on a horse or attend a race meeting ever again.

Fixed....

Plenty of people would still somehow justify it...but I hope the expose kick starts a broad conversation, and prompts many caring people to question how this industry can be supported in any way.

The hypocrisy,  and either blatant deception, or inc ompetence of those who are meant to regulate these Rules of Racing have to be scrutinised....and fixed.

I totally agree with your post...but that's for an ideal and humane world, which ours just isn't. :(

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, wendybr said:

"Good people"...in what sense?

How does that manifest...in an industry that depends on the exploitation of intelligent animals?

I'm not a fan of either the dogs or horses. But there are "genuine animal lovers" in both industries. Not everyone involved is in it to purely exploit animals.

Again, not something I'm involved with, or even support. But to assume everyone involved in the industry doesn't care about animal welfare, is painting all with the same brush (and I am not a fan of any form of animal racing).

Share this post


Link to post

I agree Carns.

However, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone who is involved in such an industry would not be aware of the bad stuff; and if you're not exposing the bad stuff, and you are helping the industry to continue to make money by contributing to it, personally I think you're part of the problem, animal welfare caring or no.

And to be honest I still have a hard time understanding how an animal lover can put it at risk of a quick bullet for a broken leg doing something it doesn't need to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, marron said:

Why does it matter how intelligent the animal is?

 

Why is a horse being slaughtered in an abbatoir any different to a cow or a lamb or a chicken?

From my point of view, Marron...it isn't.

I couldn't watch the horses being mistreated, and then slaughtered, and I couldn't watch cows or chickens  being similarly treated.

To the average person, though, there would be a difference between animals they see as rightfully belonging, fried on their plates, and animals like horses that they admire, find majestic, have maybe formed a relationship with,  if they've seen them race, if they've won money by punting on them,   and if they actually know them by name.

So, unlike BILLIONS of nameless chickens, cows, lambs, goats and sea creatures which suffer the same terror before being  slaughtered,  I can imagine many more people will feel disgusted by this. And may demand action for change.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Carns said:

I'm not a fan of either the dogs or horses. But there are "genuine animal lovers" in both industries. Not everyone involved is in it to purely exploit animals.

They're fooling themselves....seriously... and they ARE exploiting animals.

They just are.

They might never mistreat their animals, but the lives of these creatures is unnatural in the extreme, and is taylored to suit providing an income for people.

In addition,  the participation of these "animal lovers" in industries that plainly  have a dark side, because they are all about making money, means they are still facilitating animal cruelty, even if they don't perpetrate it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, marron said:

I agree Carns.

However, I find it very difficult to believe that anyone who is involved in such an industry would not be aware of the bad stuff; and if you're not exposing the bad stuff, and you are helping the industry to continue to make money by contributing to it, personally I think you're part of the problem, animal welfare caring or no.

And to be honest I still have a hard time understanding how an animal lover can put it at risk of a quick bullet for a broken leg doing something it doesn't need to do.

 

100% to this.

It isn't consistent with being an animal lover to use a "much loved" horse in a way that risks its life, as you say.

Share this post


Link to post

a few years back i worked at the horse racing, like most people who was there i didnt actually see any horses because no one gives a **** about the horses they just want to get drunk and wear stupid hats but even just working there i felt bad about it

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

a few years back i worked at the horse racing, like most people who was there i didnt actually see any horses because no one gives a **** about the horses they just want to get drunk and wear stupid hats but even just working there i felt bad about it

You have a good heart,  Goat, as we know.

I hope every person who wants to contribute to the millions raked in by those involved in this industry, even if it's just on Melbourne Cup day, stop and think about what they are contributing to.

And for those tottering about in their glamorous outfits at the races, I hope there is a pang of conscience when they learn of this.

At least it's out in the open now....and many people committed to the industry in one way or another will surely be upset about it, and demand change.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, wendybr said:

You have a good heart,  Goat, as we know.

I hope every person who wants to contribute to the millions raked in by those involved in this industry, even if it's just on Melbourne Cup day, stop and think about what they are contributing to.

And for those tottering about in their glamorous outfits at the races, I hope there is a pang of conscience when they learn of this.

At least it's out in the open now....and many people committed to the industry in one way or another will surely be upset about it, and demand change.

thank you honestly i do have 5 horses but i never been too fond of horses, dont get me wrong its not like i dislike them or anything but i never spent much time with them, i still somewhat have a fear of them due to how big they are/how much damage they could do, much more passionate dogs but still love all animals, if what has been revealed can even save one horse then that will be a small victory, sadly money talks though

Share this post


Link to post

Yes to the last statement.

Sadly.

Share this post


Link to post

Wen

All professional animal racing is designed to support gambling ....

Don't get me started on gambling.... it ruins so many lives ...

I have had a couple of clients who lost life savings via pokies .... 

But akin to the NRA in the states, the influence they have world over, not just Australia, IMO is up there with the smokes, ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I have low expectations that anything will change...but I hope that, at the very least, the Queensland abbatoir is investigated in terms of violations to animal welfare legislation.

I hope anyone who even bets once a year on the Melbourne Cup checks out the 7.30 program, to fully understand the industry they are encouraging, on it's most celebrated and profitable day of the year.

I hope that people who buy into race horse ownership or work anywhere in that industry, watch the program to understand what they are fostering.  An industry where 7000 goals are brought into the world, and most will become "wastage", sooner or later, and disposed of like garbage. Probably sooner rather than later.

I hope genuine people in the industry seriously call for improvements to its dark side, and force it to drop the hypocritical "we will ensure their welfare" bullshit.

I hope never to hear it referred to as the sport of kings, or have a conversation about anything to do with racing, with anyone, without expressing my disgust at what I saw in that show.

I hope there is appropriate Karma waiting for the brutish people who torment and terrify those animals, and for those higher up, who right now are in the process of shifting or minimising the blame for the suffering of those horses.

I hope animal welfare groups gained 1000s of new of supporters and donations.

I hope some people, heavily or minimally involved in the industry, walk away.

I hope the individuals who were exposed to what was filmed are able to come to terms with what they saw...it traumatised me. I'm not sure how you'd cope with knowing that this happens day in day out.

IDK...there's probably more I could wish for.

Until animals are less seen as commodities for humans to treat as they please, it will continue to cause incalculate suffering, and it diminishes us.

I hope that that will change...one day.

Rant over.

Share this post


Link to post

Watching Offsiders...as I do other things.

The treatment of the "wastage" of the racing industry were given a couple of minutes of crocodile tears, then the priorities of this 9 billion dollar industry came to the fore.

Predictble.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Watching Offsiders...as I do other things.

The treatment of the "wastage" of the racing industry were given a couple of minutes of crocodile tears, then the priorities of this 9 billion dollar industry came to the fore.

Predictble.

Surely it is free speech

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Surely it is free speech

If you say so.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, wendybr said:

Watching Offsiders...as I do other things.

The treatment of the "wastage" of the racing industry were given a couple of minutes of crocodile tears, then the priorities of this 9 billion dollar industry came to the fore.

Predictble.

i have a feeling that gerard whateley has sex with horses given how hard he obsesses over them so if it was him hosting of course the cruelty would be ignored

Share this post


Link to post

Dont know who 2 of them were...but it was footage of a number of people expressing their genuine sorrow (Bruce Macavenny (sp??) being one of them...and then...business as usual. The Everest, Syd Melb rivalries and all smiles.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...