Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

On 20/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, wendybr said:

Dont know who 2 of them were...but it was footage of a number of people expressing their genuine sorrow (Bruce Macavenny (sp??) being one of them...and then...business as usual. The Everest, Syd Melb rivalries and all smiles.

 

its pretty pathetic tbh

 

on a different topic its actually quite disturbing that if the government want your house then there isnt much you can do about it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

on a different topic its actually quite disturbing that if the government want your house then there isnt much you can do about it

Compulsory acquisition. It's basically a way for the Gov to take your house "for the greater good" i.e. for big infrastructure projects.

I've had personal experience with it. My folks had to get our house heritage listed in order to save it from being acquired and demolished for a major road project.

It's shitty, but the homeowners are compensated for it. The difficult task is getting "your moneys worth" for your home. You've got to fight them tooth and nail for everything. They want to acquire the property as cheaply as they can, and it is up to you to dig your heels in to hold out for the best deal possible. It really sucks when it happens, and no monetary value is the equivalent of taking someone's home literally out from under them.

------

A bit of cross-pollination from the other thread I saw you comment on, they're definitely taking the speedway (at least at the moment) for the new rail project. Which sucks, I spent many an evening there as a kid. But, it's for "the greater good". Do you take the speedway, or 30 homes? Neither is ideal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Carns said:

Compulsory acquisition. It's basically a way for the Gov to take your house "for the greater good" i.e. for big infrastructure projects.

I've had personal experience with it. My folks had to get our house heritage listed in order to save it from being acquired and demolished for a major road project.

It's shitty, but the homeowners are compensated for it. The difficult task is getting "your moneys worth" for your home. You've got to fight them tooth and nail for everything. They want to acquire the property as cheaply as they can, and it is up to you to dig your heels in to hold out for the best deal possible. It really sucks when it happens, and no monetary value is the equivalent of taking someone's home literally out from under them.

------

A bit of cross-pollination from the other thread I saw you comment on, they're definitely taking the speedway (at least at the moment) for the new rail project. Which sucks, I spent many an evening there as a kid. But, it's for "the greater good". Do you take the speedway, or 30 homes? Neither is ideal.

that is a good point honestly i am not too passionate about the speedway i mean i do understand they do give the people money so its not like they just steal it without paying anything but if someone has spent their entire life building their home and making it perfect for them to have the government just decide its going to be demolished wouldnt be fun

 

i do agree with you that the speedway is less important than people's houses, at the end of the day its difficult but i do believe that in general if the government(any government) is planning a new infrastructure project usually they are not planned out the best because they just want to be seen as doing something and dont care if its actually any good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

that is a good point honestly i am not too passionate about the speedway i mean i do understand they do give the people money so its not like they just steal it without paying anything but if someone has spent their entire life building their home and making it perfect for them to have the government just decide its going to be demolished wouldnt be fun

 

i do agree with you that the speedway is less important than people's houses, at the end of the day its difficult but i do believe that in general if the government(any government) is planning a new infrastructure project usually they are not planned out the best because they just want to be seen as doing something and dont care if its actually any good

FYI I am not defending the decision at all. It would just be an easier one for a bean counter to make than a bunch of people's homes. Mind you, the sprint car fans are pretty tribal and have been using the speedway for a very long time and would be rightly pissed off. It is the only venue of its type in Sydney that I am aware of. Just Googled and the Gov has said they'll rebuild it, no idea where though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Carns said:

FYI I am not defending the decision at all. It would just be an easier one for a bean counter to make than a bunch of people's homes. Mind you, the sprint car fans are pretty parochial and have been using the speedway for a very long fan and would be rightly pissed off. It is the only venue of its type in Sydney that I am aware of. Just Googled and the Gov has said they'll rebuild it, no idea where though.

i know what you mean i didnt think you were defending the decision but you give it context which helps, i think they want to put it around sydney motorsport park in eastern creek but eastern creek has horrible public transport so i dont think that is a fantastic idea, at least with its current location its a pretty short walk away from a train station

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be Eastern Creek for sure.

A lot of history at Granville, I'd recommend watching Midnight Spares for a trip down nostalgia lane.

All Motorsport in the one spot just makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

It'll be Eastern Creek for sure.

A lot of history at Granville, I'd recommend watching Midnight Spares for a trip down nostalgia lane.

All Motorsport in the one spot just makes sense.

i get that but give us a fricken train station somewhere close to the speedway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

i get that but give us a fricken train station somewhere close to the speedway

Rooty Hill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Rooty Hill

that aint it chief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try suss out where the new underground airport line is going, can't remember if it's Eastern Creek or further west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventually they'll link up the north west and south west rail links via the airport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wendy, you've known me for a few years now. I would hope that you've dealt with me enough to know I'm a good person with good morals that will fight for what's right.

I worked in the greyhound industry and you basically inferred above that I couldn't be a good person because I did. I also don't think it's fair to label people such as myself as hypocritical or exploitative. 

I abhor what happened in the greyhounds and it made me sick to my stomach. I also think what is happening in the horses is terrible too. 

We genuinely tried to fix up the industry tried to implement as many of parliamentary inquiry recommendations as we could. I think many people involved realised we had failed on several levels and needed to do much better. Millions of dollars was funneled into integrity and welfare and dozens of people in law enforcement, regulation and veterinary science were employed to bring things up to standard.  

We did all of this while receiving death threats and personal abuse from "animal activists". This was so serious, we had to have security posted on our office doors for weeks and needed to be escorted to our cars. How is that acceptable Wendy?

On 17/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Carns said:

I'm not a fan of either the dogs or horses. But there are "genuine animal lovers" in both industries. Not everyone involved is in it to purely exploit animals.

Again, not something I'm involved with, or even support. But to assume everyone involved in the industry doesn't care about animal welfare, is painting all with the same brush (and I am not a fan of any form of animal racing).

Thanks Carns. I don't think it's fair everyone involved in the industry is instantly demonised because of where they work. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a huge animal lover. I cry when my fish die, I hate seeing any animal in pain and I even try and catch bugs and release them from my house instead of killing them. 

There was multiple times when I saw a dog injured at the track or heard one had been put down and it broke my heart every single time. I followed up with the trainers nearly every time to check on it and see how it was going. 

In the end, I worked in the industry because I needed a job. I tried to have a positive influence where I could including a lot of pro bono work for the adoption arm of the organisation. You can sure as hell be certain that if I knew of something going on, I would have spoken up. I met so many kind people who absolutely genuinely loved their dogs. In a couple of cases, the dogs lived better than the humans. I can't say that of everyone in the industry, but a significant number of the people I interacted with did.

One of the ones that sticks out to me is video that I did with a trainer named Mark Swift. He was a hobby trainer and had one dog - Smart Valentino - who was fairly successful. He passed away due to a spider bite at the height of his success and just devastated Mark. Watch this video below and tell me that this guy didn't love his dog. Watch from the 4min mark in particular. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting, Pseuds.

It feels ironic, doesn't it - but it's there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow that guy is a nut, 2nd wave of genocide? bullshit this pretty much affects us all(obviously it affects farmers in remote area's the most who can be any race) its not an aboriginal only problem so dont bring race into this when its not a racist thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He got a bit carried away, I agree.

But I say good on him for speaking out. His pain and outrage were clear.

60,000 years plus occupying their land, and to see inland rivers run dry, essentially due to greed and mismanagement, must be overwhelming.

Not that it isn't for others out there.

Its heartbreaking at every level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wendybr said:

He got a bit carried away, I agree.

But I say good on him for speaking out. His pain and outrage were clear.

60,000 years plus occupying their land, and to see inland rivers run dry, essentially due to greed and mismanagement, must be overwhelming.

Not that it isn't for others out there.

Its heartbreaking at every level.

honestly i agree but if no one else ever occupied Australia there would still be a drought in Australia right now however i honestly dont know much about water being sold i just know that is ****ed up but its not about race, i respect his passion but people who are selling water are not just selling aboriginal water they are selling all the water they can reguardless of anyone's race

 

i do respect his passion he was just wrong about the race thing, the entire drought is getting me down and it doesnt even affect me much i am not a farmer and i know people are killing themselves over this drought because its making people(notice how i said people and not specifically white people) it is heartbreaking in every way water is just something you take for granted you turn on the tap water appears but its difficult for so many people, i think being a farmer at the best of times would be difficult i cant even imagine what they are going through now

 

so many people are suffering its very depressing

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess he sees it as about race because of the dispossession of generations of traditional owners, and their respect for the land and the native animals.

As opposed to what replaced that in terms of European methods of land clearing, turning the natual landscape into...what agriculture turns the landscape into. There being no fish, which his people would traditionally had access to, and now no water.

And if the scientists are correct, this could ultimately become the new normal...not necessarily right now, but over coming decades. It's what science has predicted, if we kept doing what we were doing. This prolonged and devastating drought scenario has been predicted to be come more frequent for decades.

It was depicted in 1973 in this film which everyone knows... which should have been set in 2121 rather than in our near future!!!!!

And basically, little has changed, despite the warnings.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cqyekiwJCcT3BeLf8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most powerful scenes in cinema...to me.

What the world looked like...before ecosystems collapsed, agriculture collapsed...

As imagined back in 1973!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wendybr said:

I guess he sees it as about race because of the dispossession of generations of traditional owners, and their respect for the land and the native animals.

As opposed to what replaced that in terms of European methods of land clearing, turning the natual landscape into...what agriculture turns the landscape into. There being no fish, which his people would traditionally had access to, and now no water.

And if the scientists are correct, this could ultimately become the new normal...not necessarily right now, but over coming decades. It's what science has predicted, if we kept doing what we were doing. This prolonged and devastating drought scenario has been predicted to be come more frequent for decades.

It was depicted in 1973 in this film which everyone knows... which should have been set in 2121 rather than in our near future!!!!!

And basically, little has changed, despite the warnings.

https://images.app.goo.gl/cqyekiwJCcT3BeLf8

that makes sense i know we have a ******* horrible history with the aboriginals if we were not killing them on purpose we were giving them brand new diseases they had no immunity to but at the end of the day this drought is not a global issue but global warming is a global issue so even if we never got to australia the country would still be struggling

 

that said when it comes to thinking ahead its something we are really **** at when it comes to most things including giving a **** about the environment, hell just look at how we treat the great barrier reef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Macquarie Sports Radio to close.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Macquarie Sports Radio to close.....

Arguably this could've gone in the Football Media thread, however considering they spent most of their time wanking over AFL, cricket & NRL in that order who cares lol. Oh & they aren't closing...they're just not running any more talkback/discussion programming. Going to be focused on broadcasting whatever 'live' sport they carry.

Rarely listened for longer than 5 minutes and have never really thought it was worth a damn. Case in point, after the derby on Saturday night they could've had the phone lines open for people to chat about the game, but instead they went to a Pommy feed for the EPL. 

As for the talking heads they employed, the worst was that clown Mark Levy. Tried several times to pass himself off as sokkah compliant...had zero clue. A cardboard cut-out version of Ray Hadley who thought that Usain Bolt should've been recruited to the A-league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst thing about it closing is losing Roy and HG (again). I never listened to the station, only their podcast afterwards. Now they'll have to find a new platform (but are arguably big enough to do their own, stand alone podcast and get sponsors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Carns said:

The worst thing about it closing is losing Roy and HG (again). I never listened to the station, only their podcast afterwards. Now they'll have to find a new platform (but are arguably big enough to do their own, stand alone podcast and get sponsors).

Need to come back to the ABC, maybe even back to Triple J, and get 3 hours on a Saturday arvo.

Or failing that at least give them more opportunities vis-a-vis 'Festival of the Boot' & State of Origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

watching the video of those racist cops is really not helpful for race relations, hope they are both fired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

watching the video of those racist cops is really not helpful for race relations, hope they are both fired

Haven't seen it. What did they do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol at scomo telling the mining industry he's going to crack down on boycotts and protests to protect free speech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...