wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Morrison is an idiot and a hypocrite.

And I couldnt listen to him with whatever "heartfelt" bullsh*t statement he wished to share with the nation today. :angry::angry:

When's the next Extinction Rebellion protest happening??

7 hours ago, mack said:

#WokeWendy

Lololol!

There's awake...and there's "woke".

If I were twenty, I'll admit it, I'd probably be very "woke".

Basically now, I'm just angry....about the planet being warned for 50 years about what is now unfolding.

And those in power ignoring the warnings.

Or worse.

:(:(

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Lololol!

There's awake...and there's "woke".

If I were twenty, I'll admit it, I'd probably be very "woke".

Basically now, I'm just angry....about the planet being warned for 50 years about what is now unfolding.

And those in power ignoring the warnings.

Or worse.

:(:(

So why then are you such a fan of those that deny climate change and spend their time ridiculing those that are at least trying to do something about it?

This is the bit I can’t work out.

Another person misplacing their anger? 

rubin and Miranda Devine do a good line in faux anger but both are pushing for climate change denying, big business tax governments 

Edited by StringerBellend

50 years of gently gently, vote labor (except for sometimes, when it looked like a tax break would be nice) has got us here. It's a bit late to be quietly angry at the government.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, marron said:

50 years of gently gently, vote labor (except for sometimes, when it looked like a tax break would be nice) has got us here. It's a bit late to be quietly angry at the government.

I have actually done a bit more than merely voting Labor over the years. So have plenty of others.

There were faults within Labor (mainly due to pandering to the  self-centred nature of an electorate who preferred $10 a week more in their pockets, than a Carbon Tax.) And the Greens miscalculated horrendously, and we all lost out.

Ultimately, the electorate voted for the idiocy and irresponsibility of dumpiing something that was actually working,  in favour of a party of climate change denying dinosaurs.

And then they did it again.

Labor have tried and failed.

The other mob should look their grandchildren and greatgrand children in the eye, and feel bitterly ashamed of themselves. 

And then do more than PRETEND to care, as the country they're passing on to future generations either turns to dust, or to ashes.

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

So why then are you such a fan of those that deny climate change and spend their time ridiculing those that are at least trying to do something about it?

This is the bit I can’t work out.

Another person misplacing their anger? 

rubin and Miranda Devine do a good line in faux anger but both are pushing for climate change denying, big business tax governments 

Move on Stringer. ;)

Just now, StringerBellend said:

Im annoying when I’m right :)

If you say so! :rofl:

31 minutes ago, wendybr said:

If you say so! :rofl:

You still don’t answer that question, “how do you reconcile Rubins climate change and pro trump beliefs with your own?”

I don't have to.

What I do have to do is acknowledge that significant numbers of people think differently to me.

They need to be understood, rather than censored and ignored by those with my views. And then won over, ultimately...well, on Climate Change, I believe they do., at least

Pseuds' article is an EXCELLENT reminder of that....which, as I was writing earlier, I was not bearing in mind.

28 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I don't have to.

What I do have to do is acknowledge that significant numbers of people think differently to me.

They need to be understood, rather than censored and ignored by those with my views. And then won over, ultimately...well, on Climate Change, I believe they do., at least

Pseuds' article is an EXCELLENT reminder of that, which, as I was riting earlier, I was not bearing in mind.

thats a cop out and turning it back on me 

How is your fandom of a guy that supports climate change denial, trump and violent racists going to win anyone over? His job, the thing he makes money off is to ridicule those that believe in climate change and progressive politics.

He is actively campaigning against climate change and supporting right wing racists. 

i acknowledge that others have different opinions and I engage and try to win them over I totally get that, and I’m not calling for your local liberal member to be silenced

Im not silencing anyone, I’m calling out that this guy

a) denies climate change

b) spends most of his time campaigning against those whose beliefs I share (and you say you share)

c) supports hard right racists (under the cover of “free speech”

d) promotes Republican Party 

e) a twat

how is your support of him going to win anyone over?   

Interesting from Obama and a bit I read today.... sorta coming out of Blinky's Bill failure... 

The left will continue to keep conservative governments in power until they learn how to listen to mainstream middle and working-class people instead of constantly condemning them for not agreeing with every last wailing woke warrior.

Edited by Midfielder

I must be getting old....what's all this 'woke' shyte?

Ask Stringer or Mack!

:D:D

Lol ...Michael  McCormak (paraphrasing) "We don't want pure, enlightened capital city "woke" people talking about the fires being linked to Climate Change.."

Hope his constituents come after him with pitchforks, when ultimately they join all the dots.

But there you have "woke" entering the wider community's vocabulary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke

21 hours ago, wendybr said:

I don't have to.

Pseuds' article is an EXCELLENT reminder of that....which, as I was writing earlier, I was not bearing in mind.

what am I missing, here? The guy is a total twat, for money 

10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Lol ...Michael  McCormak (paraphrasing) "We don't want pure, enlightened capital city "woke" people talking about the fires being linked to Climate Change.."

Hope his constituents come after him with pitchforks, when ultimately they join all the dots.

But there you have "woke" entering the wider community's vocabulary.

Why would they?, surely he is just appreciating that there are those with different opinions than himself

”woke” is the new “political correct” for 2019 

here’s the 2018 version

) "We don't want pure, enlightened capital city "political correct" lefties talking about the fires being linked to Climate Change

Same playbook, create an “other” that you can blame 

these arseholes have done nothing on climate change “how dare they” now deflect it on to the “woke” or the “political correct” or “leftards” whatever term they now use to ridicule those who (possibly clumsy) give a ****

where do you think this narrative comes from? 

11 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

I must be getting old....what's all this 'woke' shyte?

It’s the 2019 version of political correctness gone mad 

It’s basically now being as a used as a term to belittle progressives 

started on line and is now so tedious that the national party have adopted it

Same playbook, create an “other” that you can blame 

I've heard that in certain circles on the mid North coast, it's the "greenies" and their protection of wilderness that's coming into the firing line as the reason for the severity of these fire. They are the perennial bogeymen there. Even now.

I think there was a time when "cool burns" ie hazard reduction burns were maybe resisted in conservation circles, but I'm sure some of the mega-fires of recent decades have seen them change on this.

Anyway, scapegoating will be happening on both sides.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I've heard that in certain circles on the mid North coast, it's the "greenies" and their protection of wilderness that's coming into the firing line as the reason for the severity of these fire. They are the perennial bogeymen there. Even now.

I think there was a time when "cool burns" ie hazard reduction burns were maybe resisted in conservation circles, but I'm sure some of the mega-fires of recent decades have seen them change on this.

Anyway, scapegoating will be happening on both sides.

“Plenty of fine people on both sides”

**** this false balance 

So Trump hasn't questioned why we are not raking our forests yet?

43 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s the 2019 version of political correctness gone mad 

It’s basically now being as a used as a term to belittle progressives 

started on line and is now so tedious that the national party have adopted it

I'm still getting to grips with the excessive use of the word 'snowflakes'.....

i am curious not that this is being talked about recently but what would people think of becoming a republic? changing the flag and/or anthem? for me the royals are a pretty disgusting idea people are starving to death while they sit in luxury doing pretty much nothing(sure i do nothing but i dont live in luxury :P ) so yes i want to be a republic, on the flag i am happy either way i like how our flag looks but i wouldnt be opposed to it being changed either and i dont really like our national anthem its so meh for example the german national anthem sounds a lot better imo but at least we dont have god save the queen

Opinion ....

I guess most on this forum would know where I stand on Climate Change... but as I have often small I am to the right of centre ...

The issue we have is that Climate Change has been turned political first by the left and then by the right...

Meaning the National Party leader plays to a support base akin to Trump with his eye looking over his shoulder to One Nation and the Katter Party...

WE HAVE to get away from arguing Climate Change as political issue in fact the seats where the strongest support for Climate Change are often seats like Manly & East Sydney both of which are Liberal heart land seats.

WE HAVE to argue the science and constantly break away from it being a Labour / Green V Libs / National / One Nation debate otherwise we never win.

I have reached a strange place... that people that support the non Climate Change are almost in a cult and the more they are argued with and the more evidence they receive the more they harden their resolve they see it as a combination of fake news, and the left wing gone mad.... 

What hurts is every left wing policy is draw in ... so years of no back burning can be used to explain why the bush fires are so bad...

There is no way of arguing Climate Change by attacking the Libs or National party they actually use it to stay in power.

The answer is to simply argue the science ... and in a way that does  not attack ordinary people ... an example and not related to Climate Change is those people who go on farms to save a pig and they some how get attached to the Climate Change debate... the right is unbelievably clever in  taking something like going on to a farm and taking a pig as teh same people who argue Climate Change.

Rudd, Turnbull both tried but the climate deniers crushed both of them ... 

IMO the answer is to better present the science ...

Tonight on Q & A I believe there could be a great debate on it if allowed to stay off the left / right issues...

Over for now... 

Edited by Midfielder

Mate the people who turned it political are the ones who have refused to do anything.

Funnily enough in our system to get things done the politicians have to act. 

It's all well to say "don't get political" but when they - and their donors - are the ones standing in the way there is no choice. 

The science has been arguing for 40 years or more.

When all the scientists 

And all the emergency services officials 

Are presenting their case - and it's still ignored - it IS political.

They're the ones that can do stuff.  Selling the message better - how much more of a message is needed? 

Meanwhile they also seek to shut down avenues thst ordinary people can take when they don't listen, like calling for boycotts (funnily enough, using economic motives and free speech - weird that....).

This is political middy there is no two ways about it. Trying to appease is playing into the hands of those who don't give a ****. 

oldish qanda but

he would have been fun on last q&a