wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Middy science has been in for years I wish it was as simple as arguing the science of it was the government would be doing something about it, but we have a deputy prime minister who thinks climate change is a lefty woke loony conspiracy

you have a government in America defunding climate research and actively deleting data 

Be great if it wasn’t political, but it is the nationals and the Libs have made it so 

7 hours ago, wendybr said:

I've heard that in certain circles on the mid North coast, it's the "greenies" and their protection of wilderness that's coming into the firing line as the reason for the severity of these fire. They are the perennial bogeymen there. Even now.

I think there was a time when "cool burns" ie hazard reduction burns were maybe resisted in conservation circles, but I'm sure some of the mega-fires of recent decades have seen them change on this.

Anyway, scapegoating will be happening on both sides.

Oh you may have heard that it is the greenies that have caused. That’s total rubbish though 

They are currently dealing with fires in areas that were burned out 12 weeks ago 

I was speaking a rural fire services dude, even he said the greens thing has nothing to do with it

20 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Oh you may have heard that it is the greenies that have caused. That’s total rubbish though 

They are currently dealing with fires in areas that were burned out 12 weeks ago 

I was speaking a rural fire services dude, even he said the greens thing has nothing to do with it

Of course I know that it's rubbish.

I was making the point that scapegoats are being sought by people with Nats sympathies - and its a Nats area....and, as with McCormack, no acknowledgement of Climate Change is to be permitted, even in communities that are being evacuated at the least, and devastated, at the worst.

In that neck of the woods (mid - North coast, which I know very well), the "greenies" have been public enemy No 1 in some circles - FOR EVER!

2 hours ago, marron said:

When all the scientists 

And all the emergency services officials 

And the insurance companies

And the economists

And even some branches of big business

Are presenting their case - and it's still ignored - it IS political.

They're the ones that can do stuff.  Selling the message better - how much more of a message is needed? 

Meanwhile they also seek to shut down avenues thst ordinary people can take when they don't listen, like calling for boycotts (funnily enough, using economic motives and free speech - weird that....).

This is political middy there is no two ways about it. Trying to appease is playing into the hands of those who don't give a ****. 

Fixed.

This is the earliest I can remember when the economists jumped on board, rather that just the scientists and Greens supporters, to  send out a dire warning about the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stern_Review

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garnaut_Climate_Change_Review

The Right paid no attention.

Marron is right Middy. They don't care.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:37 AM, wendybr said:

I don't have to.

What I do have to do is acknowledge that significant numbers of people think differently to me.

They need to be understood, rather than censored and ignored by those with my views. And then won over, ultimately...well, on Climate Change, I believe they do., at least

Pseuds' article is an EXCELLENT reminder of that....which, as I was writing earlier, I was not bearing in mind.

Do we need to understand this guys view and win him over?

How about on far right racism? That our mate sees as just part of the new centre and “people who care for their country”

meanwhile in Oz politics.....

- both state and federal governments have pulled millions out of emergency services and fire management funding

- fed govt refused to meet with RFS leaders to prepare for what they knew was going to be a horrendous fire season

- fed govt sat on a report about exactly this for 7 months

- deputy PM going on an unhinged rant about 'inner city lefties'

- The Australian doing a front page blaming Greens for the fires

- Sky after dark having conniptions about a cartoon in SMH depicting Morrison fighting fires with 'thoughts and prayers'

- NSW government trying to ram through legislation where new coal plants won't have to do an assessment of the environmental impact of building mines

- the 'not today' nonsense not just from berijiklian & barilaro but from also labor's mark butler - the coal industry's hold of australian politicians is a extreme as the nra's over americans

our politics is an unmitigated **** show and the cost of this dereliction of duty and shameless political posturing is the poor people whose homes and lives have been and will be lost. shameful for all of us.

22 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

- both state and federal governments have pulled millions out of emergency services and fire management funding

- fed govt refused to meet with RFS leaders to prepare for what they knew was going to be a horrendous fire season

- Sky after dark having conniptions about a cartoon in SMH depicting Morrison fighting fires with 'thoughts and prayers'

- NSW government trying to ram through legislation where new coal plants won't have to do an assessment of the environmental impact of building mines

- the 'not today' nonsense not just from berijiklian & barilaro but from also labor's mark butler - the coal industry's hold of australian politicians is a extreme as the nra's over americans

our politics is an unmitigated **** show and the cost of this dereliction of duty and shameless political posturing is the poor people whose homes and lives have been and will be lost. shameful for all of us.

why would we need water when we got thoughts and prayers? :P

seriously though i 100% agree with you the current state of politics is really depressing

Stop the boats!

Labor: Yeah, we... well.... okay, people smugglers are bad, so... safety..... something something

Invade Iraq!

Labor: No! Bad idea! Oh... you did anyway...well... okay, I guess... let's keep.... doing that.....

Greenies Started the fires!

Labor: Oh well, I mean.... probably best not to talk about it...... isn't it.... because..... well.... yeah, I mean..... they probably.... it doesn't matter if they did or they didn't.....

Go **** yourselves you weak ******* soft cocks. Fat lot of good all the pandering has done you.

Pollies of all stripes are more concerned with keeping their jobs than doing what is best for their constituents. And Labor have shown repeatedly they are willing to discard any and all of their principles in the naive hope it would get them elected. It's quite clear they don't stand for anything except trying to get back in to power right now.

10 minutes ago, Carns said:

Pollies of all stripes are more concerned with keeping their jobs than doing what is best for their constituents. And Labor have shown repeatedly they are willing to discard any and all of their principles in the naive hope it would get them elected. It's quite clear they don't stand for anything except trying to get back in to power right now.

i remember how julia gillard was an atheist(most likely still is) but was too gutless to stand up for gay marriage

4 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

These people have no empathy and EVERYTHING is political.....FMD !

16 minutes ago, sonar said:

These people have no empathy and EVERYTHING is political.....FMD !

this was petty retaliation against the Glen Innes mayor who spoke really eloquently debunking the next-level idiocy of the deputy PM's comments yesterday. She had connections with those who had sadly passed away in the Wytaliba fires and is a member of the Greens.

Disgusting behaviour from anyone - let alone someone elected to represent those that had died.

One of these ****wits will probably come out tomorrow and question whether the fires are actually happening at all and call everyone involved 'crisis actors'.

maybe this was always an illusion but i always thought australians supported each other when there was a disaster but this politics garbage is just depressing and shows its not about supporting each other but gaining political points

There genuinely was a time when  politician would have been hauled over the coals for speaking like that.

When the advice of all the experts would have been listened to - the differences would have been in the solutions offered, but not the acknowledgement of the whole problem when so many people actually on the ground are saying the same thing.

It's pathetic.

I genuinely fear that the people - even ones affected - will buy in to the bullshit.

We all deserve better than what we are getting, and if we're not getting it, something needs to be done. I'm worried nothing will change though.

2 hours ago, lloydy136 said:

this was petty retaliation against the Glen Innes mayor who spoke really eloquently debunking the next-level idiocy of the deputy PM's comments yesterday. She had connections with those who had sadly passed away in the Wytaliba fires and is a member of the Greens.

Disgusting behaviour from anyone - let alone someone elected to represent those that had died.

One of these ****wits will probably come out tomorrow and question whether the fires are actually happening at all and call everyone involved 'crisis actors'.

Yes...and I think Labor and The Greens need to go hard and call out every diversionary tactic that's being marshalled , as they are atm.

"It's  the Green local councils...it's too many untamed national parks....it's The Greens hazard reduction 'bans'."

Not the time to discuss clinate change? Not the time to politicise peoples' suffering?

Bullsh*t.

Marron said it a few days ago...and above (which Ive just seen).

Not even THIS  will be enough to end the climate wars.

Next Autumn, when there's a bit of rain...and things green up, we'll all go back to sleep, and back to square one.

It IS pathetic and appalling!

Albanese has to grow some balls and NOT hop into bed with Morrison and co.

In Nimbin, apparently...with activists waving placards about action on climate, and he trots out the "Not the right time to play politics"

ENOUGH FFS!!

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Alanese has to grow some balls and NOT hop inti bed with Morrison and co.

In Nimbin, apparently...with activists waving placards about action on climate, and he apparebtly trots out the "Not the right time to play politics"

ENOUGH!!

reminds me of shootings in the US, its never the right time to talk about them just like apparently its not the right time to talk about climate change ever

just ignore the fire and it will go away

Just now, Neverbloom said:

reminds me of shootings in the US, its never the right time to talk about them just like apparently its not the right time to talk about climate change ever

just ignore the fire and it will go away

That's exactly right...

It's a pathetic and transparent way of shutting down argument at exactly the right time to debate....and go in hard.

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Alanese has to grow some balls and NOT hop inti bed with Morrison and co.

In Nimbin, apparently...with activists waving placards about action on climate, and he apparebtly trots out the "Not the right time to play politics"

ENOUGH FFS!!

It's what Australia voted for, why blame Albanese? He can't do anything about it until August 2021.

Nothing he could say would get covered positively by the media.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

It's what Australia voted for, why blame Albanese? He can't do anything about it until August 2021.

Nothing he could say would get covered positively by the media.

I don't accept that.

Take a leaf out of Abbott's playbook... and get in their faces at every turn.

OK...it's different of course, because... Rupert...but make it an issue and stay with it.

The tide has to turn sometime...although I fear it will be about 20 years too late, when it does.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Front page of The Australian, Daily Terror etc then: "Albanese plays politics while people die" followed by more attacks on the minor Greens party instead of the real culprits (which they've been doing for a decade now).

Good luck with that strategy.

Your generation, and those younger, dont give a sh*t about the Daily Terrorgraph's front page headlines...or those on The Australian's.

Surely they will lose their grip if young people take up the cause.

You and they need to hit the streets with mega rallies. Demand attention.

People power can work.

11 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

:sorry: but also :clapping:

This...with 100,000 friends joining them is exactly what's needed.