wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Exactly people not wanting to move it are just being arseholes for the sake of it

Woo hoo! :woah:

We agree on something! :yahoo:

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I think the fires are punishment for allowing Folau and his family to start their own church.

Nah..he's right in a way, about the unprecedented drought and catastrophic bushfires and hailstorms being a punishment.

By Nature...if the scientists are right.

Against all of us (although only a few are bearing the brunt at the moment). 😭😭

"How good's Queensland? Eh?...

How good's Straya?"

😭😭

any one watch Australia Talks Bollocks last night?

I don’t understand people, I really don’t. 90% say we need to be more respectful, yet 66% say political correctness has gone too far.

Political correctness is just an attempt to be more respectful through language

Edited by StringerBellend

Well, well. It must be on the nose in the swinging seats

Robodebt: government abandons key part of debt recovery scheme in major overhaul https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/19/robodebt-government-abandons-key-part-of-debt-recovery-scheme-in-major-overhaul?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Well, well. It must be on the nose in the swinging seats

Robodebt: government abandons key part of debt recovery scheme in major overhaul https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/19/robodebt-government-abandons-key-part-of-debt-recovery-scheme-in-major-overhaul?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I think it's because there is a class action before the courts and the govt may have gotten advice that what they are doing re robodebt and income averaging is illegal.

https://gordonlegal.com.au/robodebt-class-action/

...."Mr Gordon said up to 160,000 errors could be blamed on robodebt, and the legal action would seek both repayment of falsely claimed debts and compensation for affected people"........

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-17/centrelink-robodebt-class-action-lawsuit-announced/11520338

Edited by sonar

6 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

any one watch Australia Talks Bollocks last night?

I don’t understand people, I really don’t. 90% say we need to be more respectful, yet 66% say political correctness has gone too far.

Political correctness is just an attempt to be more respectful through language

it had waleed, i wasnt going to watch that crap :P

48 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

it had waleed, i wasnt going to watch that crap :P

Huh??

You don't admire and respect him?

And aspire to be as wise and articulate as he is???

:unknw:

14 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Huh??

You don't admire and respect him?

And aspire to be as wise and articulate as he is???

:unknw:

yes some of it is mostly attacking the project but the project wasnt **** till waleed entered it like a parasite

waleed is your typical smug arrogant afl flog hypocritical trash

9 minutes ago, Neverbloom said:

yes some of it is mostly attacking the project but the project wasnt **** till waleed entered it like a parasite

waleed is your typical smug arrogant afl flog hypocritical trash

He likes his soccer does Waleed

1 hour ago, Neverbloom said:

afl flog...hypocritical trash

I wouldn't know about that...but I think he has a dazzling way with words and a great mind.

Love this radio show he does...and here is one episode I heard recently, and found interesting.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/theminefield/is-optimism-dangerous-for-democratic-politics/11586734

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Waleed is ok.

Nah...he's heaps better than OK.

He is inspirational.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Nah...he's heaps better than OK.

He is inspirational.

Agreeing on 2 things in a week what’s going on? 

He’s totally ace, not Craig foster levels of ace but getting there 

22 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

said this a few times but i have yet to hear a valid reason why australia day should not be changed, it just divides people and needlessly cause pain to Aboriginal's for no reason

"But that's when James Cook discovered Australia!! It's historically significant!!!"

But like... the Dutch were mapping Australia ages ago.

I would support a change to Australia Day to January 1, the date of our Federation. Of course, that's already New Year's Day so we should just celebrate it in lieu on January 2, or the next available weekday.

Speaking of which, I found out we don't get a day in lieu for ANZAC Day??? So because ANZAC Day falls on a Saturday next year, we don't get the Monday off. That is un-Australian.

Jan 26 is formal settlement, not "discovery". (And "discovery" would be just as insulting, given aboriginal people were mapping the joint for thousands of years themselves).

Although arguably the first white settlers were those two dutch psychos who got marooned here as punishment  after massacring their fellow ship wreck survivors in a lord of the flies incident.

I get a uneasy feeling that the objections to moving things like Australia day are more to do with who called for it rather than the importance of the day.

To the best of my knowledge Australia Day has been held on a number of different days and when its been moved before no one actually cared...

But if "First Nation" people say they want it moved... I think the issue is not moving the date but the power thing about we rule and we say ... the issue at its roots is who wants it moved...

4 hours ago, Unlimited said:

"But that's when James Cook discovered Australia!! It's historically significant!!!"

But like... the Dutch were mapping Australia ages ago.

I would support a change to Australia Day to January 1, the date of our Federation. Of course, that's already New Year's Day so we should just celebrate it in lieu on January 2, 

Anything to do with "discovery", or dispossession is divisive and inappropriate as a day of supposed "celebration".

It's an insult to a proportion of the population, and therefore doesnt work.

Miiddy's probably quite right in his last post, as to why such outrage is generated in certain circles regarding any change.

43 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

The Scum being a troglodyte again

Scott Morrison says no evidence links Australia's carbon emissions to bushfires https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/21/scott-morrison-says-no-evidence-links-australias-carbon-emissions-to-bushfires?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

:var:

also love this tweet from him

7 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

Very good point made when they said you can't get most people to move to the hard core positions and therefore with people on say the left pushing people people to hard they get people who even support their ideas offside.

Rose Batty aired and raised many good issues and she was often fighting entrenched cultural norms ....

I watched the following clip from a very famous movie .... a movie on a number of those top 100 movies or a movie you should see...

The scene a wife decides to leave her husband in Ireland, and he drags her across the local area and then fights her brother and she happy goes back home smiling as if all's well... 

Aside from the racism towards the Irish, i.e lazy, drinking, fighting and stupid... the  treatment of the wife today would result in jail time I am sure... 

It goes to show both the power and influence of the media but also were many violent cultural norms become common place...

Very interesting viewing and not as old as you would think the movie is...

I won't say enjoy ... but tis very worth while watching...

Riiiiight. 
——————

Loved the Australia Day comments. You know summer is just around the corner when that issue comes up. 

As a reward for us turning their culture, their way of living that they enjoyed for thousands of years on it’s head, they get to choose our national day. 

A present from us to them kind of thing. A small token from us to them, you know, for being good sports about it.