Jump to content
wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Legionista said:

Riiiiight. 
——————

 

Loved the Australia Day comments. You know summer is just around the corner when that issue comes up. 
 

As a reward for us turning their culture, their way of living that they enjoyed for thousands of years on it’s head, they get to choose our national day. 
 

A present from us to them kind of thing. A small token from us to them, you know, for being good sports about it. 

Yep being a nob for the sake of it 

Share this post


Link to post
On 18/11/2019 at 11:25 PM, wendybr said:

Nah..he's right in a way, about the unprecedented drought and catastrophic bushfires and hailstorms being a punishment.

By Nature...if the scientists are right.

Against all of us (although only a few are bearing the brunt at the moment). 😭😭

"How good's Queensland? Eh?...

How good's Straya?"

😭😭

With remarks like that you could get a gig on ABC radio Wendy.  And yeah Queensland is not bad.  Have you lived there?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Legionista said:

...our national day. 

 

Always has been rubbish as a "national day".

Shallow and cringeworthy, undignified...and only around as a "national day" a few decades, as I recall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

With remarks like that you could get a gig on ABC radio Wendy.  And yeah Queensland is not bad.  Have you lived there?

Lol to the first statement- you're probably right.

Not a fan, I gather? 😁

To your Queensland comment - it was meant as a dig at Morrison, and his refusal to see reality, not really a dig at Queensland, for re-electing him. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, wendybr said:

Always has been rubbish as a "national day".

Shallow and cringeworthy, undignified...and only around as a "national day" a few decades, as I recall.

 

Yeah, about 21 decades.

Share this post


Link to post

Australia day was only made a national public holiday in the 80s wasn't it?

There were different levels of commemoration in different places up until then, but it was far from "the national day".

As for a change being tokenistic, well, yeah sure, except for all those indigenous voices and others calling for it. Doesn't fix the issues, no, but the alternative is to send a nice clear message that "we don't give a ****".

Good angle, though. "Well, we would, but it would be tokenistic, so by not doing it, it shows we care EVEN MORE. Meanwhile, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and, with Australia Day coming up, it's probably not the right time to talk about it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 23/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, marron said:

Australia day was only made a national public holiday in the 80s wasn't it?

There were different levels of commemoration in different places up until then, but it was far from "the national day".

As for a change being tokenistic, well, yeah sure, except for all those indigenous voices and others calling for it. Doesn't fix the issues, no, but the alternative is to send a nice clear message that "we don't give a ****".

Good angle, though. "Well, we would, but it would be tokenistic, so by not doing it, it shows we care EVEN MORE. Meanwhile, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and, with Australia Day coming up, it's probably not the right time to talk about it."

 Brilliant summation Marron.

Yes...it's only been around a few decades....and it's a nonsense to say it's held dearly in the hearts of Australians.... for any dignified reason, at least.

It's a chance for a boozy backyard barbie, or a day at the beach.

It's shallow and insensitive.

Other cities don't necessarily relate to it all that well, I seem to recall.

PS Legia's right in saying it must be Summer, because it's being talked about, but more and more Councils are tuning in to the increasing awareness of it's inappropriateness, and have been announcing alternative things throughout the year. So it's been more on the radar this year.

 

It will be changed, I believe,  sooner or later.

 

Share this post


Link to post

whoopsies

 

also new video on that old q&a episode

 

 

 

daisy cousens needs to come back she would have been amusing on that episode

Share this post


Link to post

Yet another stuff up by the conservatives to try and monetize health records

My Health Record failed to manage cybersecurity and privacy risks, audit finds https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/25/my-health-record-failed-to-manage-cybersecurity-and-privacy-risks-audit-finds?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post

The politician Angus Taylor appears to the same in hiding his private financial dealing as Donald Trump. The fact that the government is blocking legitimate FOI requests show how corrupt this man, who is a staunch ally of the Scum, is. Now if there was a federal anti-corruption body he would be gone.

Government blocks access to emails about Angus Taylor's attack on Clover Moore https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/26/government-blocks-access-to-emails-about-angus-taylors-attack-on-clover-moore?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post

Angus Taylor now under criminal investigation. He should now step aside from cabinet. If found guilty, then he cannot sit in parliament 

NSW police investigating doctored document Angus Taylor used in Clover Moore attack https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/26/nsw-police-investigating-doctored-document-angus-taylor-used-in-clover-moore-attack?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post

^^^^ Most of that, I agree with.

Bit hard on the Greens, who he said "distanced themselves" from her inaccurate statement altho why they would drag up her issue, under the circumstances, I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, wendybr said:

^^^^ Most of that, I agree with.

Bit hard on the Greens, who he said "distanced themselves" from her inaccurate statement altho why they would drag up her issue, under the circumstances, I'm not sure. 

i agree i didnt agree with it all, quite frankly imo the q&a episode didnt really need to be brought up however i am glad folau was brought up him being mocked is just always amusing :P

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, wendybr said:

^^^^ Most of that, I agree with.

Bit hard on the Greens, who he said "distanced themselves" from her inaccurate statement altho why they would drag up her issue, under the circumstances, I'm not sure. 

I still don’t get what the fuss is about 

far more dangerous and offensive things are said on Tv all the time 

Chris Kenny and Andrew Bolt get their own shows to do it on 

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Free the one four

 

just read about that because of your post and that is bullshit, i dont think these guys have ever listened to a band like D12 who have 100 times worse lyrics :P they did a concert in brisbane and donated the money to a charity and there was no violence at that concert but lets all be scared and censor things we dont understand :P

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Robodebt is illegal. 

Federal Court rules robodebt 'unlawful' in significant court case http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/federal-government-loses-major-robodebt-case/11742494

the entire thing was just a massive mistake from the start, caused so much pain for people who are hardly privileged and its hard to tell if it was the straw that broke the camel's back for many people but there is no doubt it did cause some suicides that maybe could have been prevented otherwise

Share this post


Link to post

The Scum using influence inappropriately over the (almost) criminal Angus Taylor

 PM's phone call to police chief an inappropriate attempt to use position, former top judge says https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/28/pms-phone-call-to-police-chief-an-inappropriate-attempt-to-use-position-former-top-judge-says?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Share this post


Link to post

The Morrisons Govt .."Ensuring Integrity Bill" has been defeated in the Senate. Labor,Greens,Lambie,PHON vote no. As early as today Hanson said she would support the govt to pass it. Not friends in the final vote it seems. There are rumours floating around that the 23 million breaches of the law by Westpac and Morrisons phone call to the NSW Police Commisioner really spooked the crossbench......lol

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, sonar said:

The Morrisons Govt .."Ensuring Integrity Bill" has been defeated in the Senate. Labor,Greens,Lambie,PHON vote no. As early as today Hanson said she would support the govt to pass it. Not friends in the final vote it seems. There are rumours floating around that the 23 million breaches of the law by Westpac and Morrisons phone call to the NSW Police Commisioner really spooked the crossbench......lol

"Ensuring Integrity" lol ...coming from the ScumMo crew.

Can we have a federal ICAC type organisation, please.

Share this post


Link to post

I am not a fan of Pauline Hanson or her party"s position on many issues but on this occasion I agree with her ......

 

 

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Paul01 said:

The Scum using influence inappropriately over the (almost) criminal Angus Taylor

 PM's phone call to police chief an inappropriate attempt to use position, former top judge says https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/28/pms-phone-call-to-police-chief-an-inappropriate-attempt-to-use-position-former-top-judge-says?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

But.....it was a 'perfect' phone call.....;)

Share this post


Link to post
On 23/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, marron said:

Australia day was only made a national public holiday in the 80s wasn't it?

There were different levels of commemoration in different places up until then, but it was far from "the national day".

As for a change being tokenistic, well, yeah sure, except for all those indigenous voices and others calling for it. Doesn't fix the issues, no, but the alternative is to send a nice clear message that "we don't give a ****".

Good angle, though. "Well, we would, but it would be tokenistic, so by not doing it, it shows we care EVEN MORE. Meanwhile, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and, with Australia Day coming up, it's probably not the right time to talk about it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

There is no angle.

A token gesture will never change what happened and it is more about making latte sippin yuppies in Surry Hills feel better than anything about the wishes of indigenous voices.

What if these indigeniois voices said they want their country back. 

Would you leave?
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Legionista said:

There is no angle.

A token gesture will never change what happened and it is more about making latte sippin yuppies in Surry Hills feel better than anything about the wishes of indigenous voices.

What if these indigeniois voices said they want their country back. 

Would you leave?
 


 

That’s your reason for keeping it? 
 

go back to the short posts

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Legionista said:

There is no angle.

A token gesture will never change what happened and it is more about making latte sippin yuppies in Surry Hills feel better than anything about the wishes of indigenous voices.

You aren't serious. You can't be.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...