Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

easy way to close the gap between aboriginal people and non aboriginal people, murder non aboriginal people, much easier :P

seriously though its insane how much lower their average age is compared to everyone else, still aboriginal communities living in 3rd world conditions

This is what the Coalition wants for the Australian population. This is why you have to opt out of the My health Record system. Free access.

NHS gives Amazon free use of health data under Alexa advice deal https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/08/nhs-gives-amazon-free-use-of-health-data-under-alexa-advice-deal?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

10 hours ago, Bones said:

So they have lots of those batteries in the US then? We’ll catch up soon by the look of it. You may be shocked to learn we didn’t invent the technology used in the snowy hydro plant.

We used to be world leaders in cricket too but I don’t think we invented that either.

That’s my point

What are these Australian home grown technological advances in renewable energy, because I can’t think of any

13 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

That’s my point

What are these Australian home grown technological advances in renewable energy, because I can’t think of any

There are actually a load. UNSW for example is one of the leaders in the development of solar and has been for well over 20 years

We have the brains in our science and engineering community, unfortunately we have a government to stupid to leverage it.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Our "criminal" energy minister going to e put in the corner where he will sulk when he doesn't get his own way 

Australia wants to use credits to claim most of its Paris commitment. World leaders are debating banning them http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/cop25-what-are-carry-over-credits/11781040

We're a disgrace, and deserve to be seen as a pariah.

32 minutes ago, wendybr said:

This is an exttemely cynical thing to say but it will not be until people start dropping dead on the streets before the govts act.. When you cut National Park personnel who do a lot of backburning and then follow up with cuts on capital expenditure for equipment what else can you expect.

In 2011, there were 289 parks and wildlife rangers, including 28 senior rangers. By 2018, there were no senior rangers, and only 193 rangers. 

The PSA also noted that the previous cohort of 50 area managers charged with planning hazard reduction burns had also been cut down to 37, as part of a massive restructure in 2017. The changes saw 778 parks and wildlife jobs altered, downgraded, moved, or deleted.

https://www.themandarin.com.au/120342-parks-and-wildlife-funding-cuts-in-the-spotlight-as-nsw-nationals-play-the-blame-game/

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/i-have-watched-and-mourned-as-nsw-national-parks-have-been-run-into-the-ground-20180126-h0or7c.html

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/bushfire-affected-residents-vent-frustrations-about-cuts-to-rfs/11701892

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Yep we arguing for some technical accounting trick to meet our targets rather than actually reducing emissions 

ffs even if we “meet” targets by carrying over Kyoto agreement credits it is missing the point 

Yes. Totally.

And....

I asked this before....but what are a few months worth of these fires adding to our emissions??

Not that I expect anyone here to know....and not that they can be controlled, or are created by humans, although our practices are likely to be contributing to their ferocity (but not in the way B Joyce was suggesting).

They must be making a massive contribution. 😢😢

Great article!

Yes...we get the politicians we deserve.

We'll, about 50% of us don't deserve them...but what can you do?

However, I'm damned sure that species other than humans are not getting what they deserve, as they go up in smoke, or their homes turn to charred wastelands, or turn to deserts.  :(

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

Great article!

Yes...we get the politicians we deserve.

We'll, about 50% of us don't deserve them...but what can you do?

However, I'm damned sure that species other than humans are not getting what they deserve, as they go up in smoke, or their homes turn to charred wastelands, or turn to deserts.  :(

Main reason I only donate to the animal charities at this time

I won’t go into why I do not donate to funds that help humans again because that upset some people last time

I have supported both...but I don't blame you at all!

I'm  sad and feel pretty hopeless about everything related to this current situation.

The human suffering is immense...but at least humans can rationalise what has happened.

The incalculable suffering in animal communities is heartbreaking...and I suspect many fragile ecosystems and animal populations might never recover.

Scumbo and Angus Taylor are now pariahs on the international stage.

Australia's use of accounting loophole to meet Paris deal found to have no legal basis https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/australias-use-of-accounting-loophole-to-meet-paris-deal-found-to-have-no-legal-basis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

24 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Scumbo and Angus Taylor are now pariahs on the international stage.

Australia's use of accounting loophole to meet Paris deal found to have no legal basis https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/12/australias-use-of-accounting-loophole-to-meet-paris-deal-found-to-have-no-legal-basis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Well deserved.

We are shameful.

I don't know whether to be sad or laugh at this crazy situation related to our current Bush fire crisis.

On the ABC NEWS 2 evenings back one of the Bush Fire Commissioners was asked if it was true what the PM had said that the RFS does not need anymore support or resources. He agreed, they had everything they needed. Now we hear that they are ''crowd funding for face masks"  and are exhausted. An ex Bush fire Commissioner recently back from California said that they had over 40 well equipped planes suitable for Fire fighting, we have 1.

Last evening we get a phone call from the RFS asking for a desperately needed donation... my wife had given $25;00 a few weeks ago now they are asking for more. What the fuuck is going on does anyone know??

The poor state of education firstly needs all sectors of industry. 

Secondly, it needs to pay educators well instead of rewarding Stock Market thieves.

And importantly, not be told by Treasuries that we need larger class sizes. And the conservatives have defunded education at a state and federal level at an enormous rate over the last 20 years. You get what you pay for and instead the conservatives introduce more red tape in an attempt to get performance pay for teachers rather than improve quality. 

It is not the curriculum at fault, it is the level of funding.

Coalition to review Australian education curriculum in bid to reverse fall in student results https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/12/coalition-to-review-australian-education-curriculum-in-bid-to-reverse-fall-in-student-results?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

40 minutes ago, mack said:

PM doesn't want to risk a budget surplus by spending billions on firefighting equipment. He doesn't care about the lives lost, the buildings destroyed or the environment being destroyed.

They're so determined for the surplus as that will be the major pillar of their re-election campaign. They're willing to strip funding from anywhere and everywhere to achieve a magical surplus, whilst driving the economy into the ground and ignoring those in need.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

The poor state of education firstly needs all sectors of industry. 

Secondly, it needs to pay educators well instead of rewarding Stock Market thieves.

And importantly, not be told by Treasuries that we need larger class sizes. And the conservatives have defunded education at a state and federal level at an enormous rate over the last 20 years. You get what you pay for and instead the conservatives introduce more red tape in an attempt to get performance pay for teachers rather than improve quality. 

It is not the curriculum at fault, it is the level of funding.

Coalition to review Australian education curriculum in bid to reverse fall in student results https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/12/coalition-to-review-australian-education-curriculum-in-bid-to-reverse-fall-in-student-results?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

I don't disagree with what you say, I actually think it's about far more than is going on in schools, tbh.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic