Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I was agreeing with you re the selfish, arrogant, ignorant and entitled comments.

Yes I know.

But I've been thinking big picture - the whole country, but it isn't really all of us.

1 hour ago, Bones said:

Would things be different though if the other mob were voted into power in their place? 

They’re as bad as each other it’s not like conservatives have had power for that long they single handledy screwed the nation. 

It would be different 

It was different 

The they are the same arguement is a piss weak cop out 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:40 PM, StringerBellend said:

It would be different 

It was different 

The they are the same arguement is a piss weak cop out 

in my opinion they are not that much difference tbh, i mean they are in a few key area's but both sides have ****ed up a lot, i feel they are much more different now than when turnbull was prime minister though but maybe that is just the impression i got

On 12/12/2019 at 9:31 PM, Bones said:

I dunno, curriculum is pretty important, heaps of cash has been thrown at education. Whether you blame a govt that’s been in power 5 or so years or their predecessors ( it’s largely state governments that control this i think) kids these days in the general public system are hopeless. Try and read someone under 30’s handwriting and it’s like heiroglyphs make more sense. But they’ll dob on a bully or complain because they’ve been bullied in a split second because that’s what they got told was important.

For context, my wife is a teacher.

Responsibility for is held in a federal body called ACARA.

You will find the Feds fund disability students have taken significant chunks out of that area.

The MySchool website, ladt time i looked, if you at the funding pages per student for various types of school is approximately like this

Private schools: feds $6000-7000, state govt $1000 with the balance of funding to school fees or other (investment funds in the case of Tier 1 and Tier 2 schools)

Public Schools: feds $1000, state govt $6000-7000 with the balance to school fees.

The paperwork is also horrendous taking as much time to complete as preparing lessons. This is the pursuit of performance pay for teachers (as the f***ing conservatives want)

On the issue of Treasuries, they want as high a student to teacher ratio as possible > 30:1 but it has proved that the best ratio is about 18:1. If we want better education across the board, then we need class sizes reduced but that means more facilities and more teachers employed. 

This is somewhat about onefour but mostly about censorship and honestly it's something that worries me, they don't like it they try to censor it and even get it removed from the internet

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-13/australian-drill-rappers-onefour-battle-police/11779746

And of course it's ******* raptor squad, the Sooner the likes of Trueman can **** off the better, really complaining about violent lyrics, stop being a bitch

50 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Scumbo has lost Laura Tingle. That is massive when it comes to the press

Analysis: Yes, Prime Minister, it is a national disaster and we need a frank discussion http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-14/bushfire-emergency-reveals-scott-morrisons-leadership-failure/11797826

"...constipated stubborness"

Brilliant.

Great article.

I've never felt more participating in a march on federal parliament in my life.

It feels like we're at war...and people are putting up a fight without any national govt support.

They're incompetent imbeciles, incapable of doing anything other than counting dollars.

Which is par for the course for Coalition governments.

But their impotence and negligence towards important issues has never felt as marked as this before...to me at least.

:angry::angry:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

"...constipated stubborness"

Brilliant.

Great article.

I've never felt more participating in a march on federal parliament in my life.

It feels like we're at war...and people are putting up a fight without any national govt support.

They're incompetent imbeciles, incapable of doing anything other than counting dollars.

Which is par for the course for Coalition governments.

But their impotence and negligence towards important issues has never felt as marked as this before...to me at least.

:angry::angry:

I can’t work you out sometimes 

36 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Wot?

Weren't you around for Club Pol...versions 1-3 or was it 4?

The election of the Noalition had me incensed for years....

That’s the bit I get, it’s the defence of Rwnj I don’t get

10 minutes ago, Bones said:

Was the same 30 years ago when I was at school nothing has changed except the curriculum and what is taught to students.

Teachers aren’t what they used to be, with all due respect to your wife.

Not supported by facts but don’t let that bother you 

Edited by StringerBellend
26 minutes ago, Bones said:

Kinda is, so your false assumption doesn’t bother me at all if facts are related to results as opposed to feelings.

You said nothing has changed in 30 years except for curriculum, but it has both from funding and results 

Assumptions don’t come into it

I could look up facts but we both know that won’t change your wilful ignorance 

6 hours ago, Bones said:

Was the same 30 years ago when I was at school nothing has changed except the curriculum and what is taught to students.

Teachers aren’t what they used to be, with all due respect to your wife.

The curriculum has changed. Schools are expected to do the social training that used to be done by families and that has clogged the curriculum more than anything else. And yes teachers aren't the same as they used to be. That is partly a consequences of changes in society. But perhaps the most critical change was the merging of Colleges of Advanced Education (CAE) into universities. When that change happened, the classroom management component of the teachers training was downgraded and the lack of classroom management skills has not helped the learning experience in schools.

1 hour ago, Bones said:

Well said and totally agree, i don’t envy the task presented to teachers at all these days. I have 3 teachers and a Principal in my family. The days of teaching kids the 3R’s are long gone, everybody has to be a social worker these days just to interact with someone else. We need to go back to the old ways though or things are just gonna get worse.

Mainly agree...until the last sentence, but what do you mean by "the old ways"?

10 hours ago, Bones said:

Educating people instead of nurturing feelings. 

Maybe in science 

I’ll defer to the teachers on here for curriculum insight 

But for mine the gap between have and have not schools is just getting wider, added that now to go to Uni requires a massive debt not just hecs but in rising living costs.

back in my day it was hard for someone from outer west state school to got to Uni, now it’s near impossible 

Edited by StringerBellend
12 hours ago, Bones said:

Sure.

So, in the old days, little jimmy gives some lip or doesn't do their work, 2 options

1) jimmy gets punished at school

2) jimmy's parents get the phone call home.

Here's what happens now

1) jimmy's parents hit the roof and go bananas for poor little jimmy and the teacher is out to get him and he can do no wrong (great message for jimmy)

2) jimmy's parents complain that they don't know what to do with Jimmy and can school sort him out; or they simply don't give a ****.

In both cases Jimmy needs some assistance,  because he's not getting good support from home (despite what the parents might think in option 1).

But you are saying Jimmy should be cut loose.

That's not going to help improve his handwriting or his maths skills. But the lack of support for school - either being in direct opposition, or not being able/willing to continue the message, means that jimmy's stuffed. And the last thing we need is a generation of jimmys,

Here's the other thing that's happening.

Lilke option 2, there is a lot of creep into the curriculum from above about the different things that should be focussed on - citizenship stuff, whatever. So what's the option there. Kids aren't getting it from home the way they used to... easy to say it shouldn't happen in schools, but then, it doesn't happen, so what then.

But on top of that, the use of a business approach to try and fix the perceived issues around literacy or whatever are not working. Onerous paperwork and box-ticking, which might work in a business that operates with a profit motive, does not work to improve outcomes; teachers are too busy doing rubbish instead of actually working out how to engage the kids in their class.

In the "golden age", there was also better conditions but above all more respect from the community, so that if a school made a decision about a kid, that was fine, they would be backed. That doesn't happen now.

15 hours ago, Bones said:

What Marron said, plus....

Too simplistic, I'm afraid.

Another factor is that the number of young people coming through with either mental health issues or dysfunctional family issues is MASSIVE.

There's a "tidal wave" of kids going through the school system with diagnosed MH issues, especially Anxiety,  as I understand it.

This has a dramatic effect on kids' performance at school. 

Then there is huge dysfunction in  a significant proportion of families, and the  harmful influence of this is obvious.

Living a week with Mum, a week with dad...etc, is hard. Some kids manage brilliantly, others, not at all.

One example of dozens I could mention, which is even worse...

A lovely Yr 7 boy spends time in our staffroom...incapacitated with anxiety.

Dad moved to NZ with girlfriend and started a new family.

Mum is in and out of rehab and is looked after by her parents. 

My area is not a low socio economic area at all.

But the heartbreaking levels of dysfuunctionality,  even in a pleasant middle class area, (which impacts kids success levels at school) is scary.

As Marron indicates, the community is different.....families are different and influences on their learning are different.

Then throw in the things that matter in many kids' lives, like social media....and the distractions from study are also massive.

It's complicated.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic