Last ANZ Derby Drawn

We were unlucky, should of probably got 3 points but cannot fault the lack of effort from the boys.  Thought our defence did well considering they had a yellow each after 15mins, was surprised how well GG played and Duke can become one of our all time greats, only 28yo and can build a team around him. I cannot understand the obsession with ABJ, sure with the ball at his feet he is magical but off the ball he tracks back like that 100kg Sunday league striker, nearly cost us dearly twice before he went off. Vedran well yea he pulled off a good save but he should of done better with the goal, he wasn't near where he should of been, the ball went in a metre from the post and he couldn't get a paw on it.  Llorente worked his hole out tonight and Riera did as well but when the chance came he should of buried that.  Majok should of stayed on the bench and Bridge yea love ya mate but he was a liability, our subs didn't really add anything last night and if they had of we could of won that easily.  Anyway better than I thought and positive signs,frothing for next year already, going to be a long off season.

******* great to see the RBB BRB 

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Treejack was hacked mercilessly by the Smurfs and Evans did nothing about it.

Yet again, Brosque doesn't get a card for dissent. The A-league referees make it hard for the grassroots refs when they fail to show that they enforce the laws of the Game. Didn't see the elbow on Roly but in most circumstances an an elbow yo the head is a yellow card. Plus the danger two-footed tackle in the second half should have red. 

But the Smurfs are the darlings of the FFA, what else should I expect.

ABJ gets hacked predominantly because he holds the ball for too long. 

11 minutes ago, scarcev said:

We were unlucky, should of probably got 3 points but cannot fault the lack of effort from the boys.  Thought our defence did well considering they had a yellow each after 15mins, was surprised how well GG played and Duke can become one of our all time greats, only 28yo and can build a team around him. I cannot understand the obsession with ABJ, sure with the ball at his feet he is magical but off the ball he tracks back like that 100kg Sunday league striker, nearly cost us dearly twice before he went off. Vedran well yea he pulled off a good save but he should of done better with the goal, he wasn't near where he should of been, the ball went in a metre from the post and he couldn't get a paw on it.  Llorente worked his hole out tonight and Riera did as well but when the chance came he should of buried that.  Majok should of stayed on the bench and Bridge yea love ya mate but he was a liability, our subs didn't really add anything last night and if they had of we could of won that easily.  Anyway better than I thought and positive signs,frothing for next year already, going to be a long off season.

******* great to see the RBB BRB 

Hehehe...you're sounding like Robbie Shoulda Done Better Slater. :cheeky:

Sorry...couldn't resist.:D

Good effort, and unlucky not to get the 3 points. Apart from the goal, the defense was strong and especially in the second half they put the body on the line on a number of occasions. The only players under par were Baccus, Majok and Bridge.

Best of all their dream of premiership is well and truly over.

5 hours ago, tardotz said:

Good effort, and unlucky not to get the 3 points. Apart from the goal, the defense was strong and especially in the second half they put the body on the line on a number of occasions. The only players under par were Baccus, Majok and Bridge.

Best of all their dream of premiership is well and truly over.

Not sure how Bridge could earn an "under par" rating considering the entire time he was on the field he kept running into space, calling for service only to see the ball go anywhere but to him.

I am also delighted to note that, in the past two months, the "Elrich Out" brigade have been much less vocal..  I realise he is past his prime, but he bleeds for the team every game, so here is my suggestion.:  sign him up as a back up for the two full back and,  if need be, the CB positions.  Oh, hang on!  Wasn't that why he was signed this season and has ended up playing more minutes that probably any other player in the team.

Welcome back RBB. We've missed you.  Best atmosphere all season..

Tbh, i approached last night as a night out rather than 'The Derby!'......so was pleasantly surprised that we played okay, definitely deserved a draw, if not the win. 

That ref was a real chunt.

Sfc really were unpleasantly smug at times on the pitch. As if the draw they just had in AFC was some kind of testament to their superiority, and this is just a lowly local league game. So, i was rather happy we took it to them, we got a draw and we've rained on their parade in terms of premiership.

Not a bad night at all

This game felt like a win for me. 

We didn't get flogged and at the same time managed to rain on ESFC's parade and give some cause to be optimistic for next season.  Not a tactical victory but a strategic one perhaps.

A couple of random observations:

• I thought Babbel looked like an eminent psychologist and expected him to pull a fob watch from his pocket at any moment
  • GG's post match interview on Fox was a disappointment only because I was hoping that he would sound something like Sylvester Stallone when he spoke

Edited by LeeMarvin
Accidently hit Return key
44 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

This game felt like a win for me. 

We didn't get flogged and at the same time managed to rain on ESFC's parade and give some cause to be optimistic for next season.  Not a tactical victory but a strategic one perhaps.

A couple of random observations:

• I thought Babbel looked like an eminent psychologist and expected him to pull a fob watch from his pocket at any moment
  • GG's post match interview on Fox was a disappointment only because I was hoping that he would sound something like Sylvester Stallone when he spoke

Yes.....yes!! ...and yes..... to your three observations above!

The seond one did literally make me lol!!

:lol: :lol:

Gallifuoco was surprisingly good, which was lucky because Baccus had an awful first half and Babbel was right to hook him at half time.

Because they played 45 minutes each its easy to compare how they performed (although easts were always going to tire in the second half and he came on fresh). I just checked the stats and was a little surprised to see that Baccus had a higher pass completion rate than GG (72% vs 60%) however GG attempted more passes so he actually completed more than Baccus (15 vs 13). Going forward GG took more shots and crosses and created more chances. Defensively he made more tackles and attempted 9 duels (the same as Baccus) but won 8 of them while Baccus only won 1.

6 minutes ago, Davo said:

Gallifuoco was surprisingly good, which was lucky because Baccus had an awful first half and Babbel was right to hook him at half time.

Because they played 45 minutes each its easy to compare how they performed (although easts were always going to tire in the second half and he came on fresh). I just checked the stats and was a little surprised to see that Baccus had a higher pass completion rate than GG (72% vs 60%) however GG attempted more passes so he actually completed more than Baccus (15 vs 13). Going forward GG took more shots and crosses and created more chances. Defensively he made more tackles and attempted 9 duels (the same as Baccus) but won 8 of them while Baccus only won 1.

I loved the managers quote on Baccus with wtte..." as a local western Sydeny lad he he was too motivated for the game".....lol

Probably saw he ( Baccus ) was heading for a red and took the safer option. On that note it was good to see Kamau fire up as well.

Corica quote " we will destroy A league teams after 3 all draw with Shanghai" 

Corica quote " the midweek game will not effect us in the Derby we are fit"

Corica quote " we struggled in the second half after the midweek game , but we still should have won the game" 

Corica quote " they could only score from a deflection"

Corica = arrogant wanker

We are much closer to the Smurfs (and the rest of the competition, for that matter) than most people think. 14 points out of the last six games ain't half bad. Smurfs won the SCG derby with a little help of their in house refs and the first ANZ derby courtesy of Janjetovic. Nail the imports, have a home ground again worth the description, and we'll be a force next season. 

Kudos to Hamill and Elrich, two nominal squaddies who ended up with the thankless job of steadying the ship. 

2 hours ago, Keithie said:

Corica quote " we will destroy A league teams after 3 all draw with Shanghai" 

Corica quote " the midweek game will not effect us in the Derby we are fit"

Corica quote " we struggled in the second half after the midweek game , but we still should have won the game" 

Corica quote " they could only score from a deflection"

Corica = arrogant wanker

Well, he did learn from one of the best.

If we could only "score from a deflection", then maybe he should be pushing his thugs to give a bit more than 43% perhaps? Maybe then they'd know how to build a ******* wall properly. Maybe if they knocked it up to 45%, they might even be able to keep in their pants long enough to not hack down players within striking distance of goal?

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he has a minimum level of bullshit he is required to spin every time he speaks written into his contract. And if he doesn't hit Arnie / Slater levels within a specific time frame, then he gets the arse.

2 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Oh, and what was up with that Game of Thrones crap? Was it FFA Game of Thrones round or just a cross marketing gimmick at Fox?  I have watched the telecast twice now and still don't get it.

Yes....GoT Round (ridiculously)...which I guess is the same as cross marketing - as if GoT needs any marketing. Lol.

23 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I don't recall Corica being like this as a player. it almost seems like he is trying too hard to be relevant and be quotable like Arnie was. Doesn't feel genuine at all.

He wasn't like that. 

FWIW - I'd say your assessment is spot on.

If the media slurp up every word without questioning anything that comes out of SFC and are their biggest cheerleaders you might as well take advantage of it. What's the worst that can happen, you lose anyway. Smithies & Bossi & Adno aren't reporting negatively on SFC or their coaches no matter what happens.

6 hours ago, sonar said:

On that note it was good to see Kamau fire up as well. 

I am loving the work Kamau has been putting in down the right since his move to the back four, but is he under instructions not to cross any balls into the area?

1 hour ago, Harv said:

I am loving the work Kamau has been putting in down the right since his move to the back four, but is he under instructions not to cross any balls into the area?

For me he is improving and doing better but why does he turn around and go backward so often????  A few times he obviously saw a bigger player running for the ball and discernibly slowed down.  I enjoyed his more aggressive approach early on, as I did with others (except Baccus, who I thought was going to do another brain snap al a Melbourne City in Jan and get sent off!).   On the whole Kamau did well but he doesn't cross well nor get it into the box as often as he might.

Still not sure about him in RB.