Western Sydney Stadium Open

1 hour ago, Ossified said:

Also a Pet hate of mine. Some years ago one could go to a game, arrive 15 minutes or so before kick off and have a good conversation with those seated nearby. Can't do that anymore. I now time my arrival at my seat right on  kick-off to avoid having the PA yelling mindless crap which continues all thru half time.  

I don't know why we put up with this ****....I bet you don't hear it in the corporate box's.

Totally agree.  I put this complaint into every f***ing survey I've filled in for the club, but they don't seem to give a s***.

13 minutes ago, mack said:

I gather that after the morning rush there wasn't enough people inside to need to stop people getting in early.

I posted about the field club in the construction thread, but anyone who is in there is going to be a premium corporate type. It doesn't exist for drunk plebs like the rest of the stadium. Anyone who causes a scene in there is going to be in a lot of trouble from the stadium & police and if they are there as a corporate that could be a job killer. The new Perth Stadium has the same thing I don't think there's been any issues there.

That LED screen when I rocked up I thought they'd taken it down for some reason and only when I got up close I realised that it was on, it's just completely ineffective in the sun. I opened it up in photoshop and if you adjust the brightness and contrast you can barely make out that it said "bankwest stadium". Evening games it won't be a problem for, maybe not for certain 3pm games either.

The tunnel to the right of the RBB has a single row of seats and there wasn't any restricted view there. I suspect that the 'no bad seats' moniker is going to be more like 'no bad seats sold'. Or maybe they expect people to stand in them. I know the seats right in front of the tunnel to the left of the RBB might be a bit dodgy, but the single row of seats (very odd) to the right hand side of the RBB were fine are are actually pretty damn good seats for a corner (they might have a very small restriction of the right corner on the other side).

Why are you talking about seats near the tunnel near the RBB?

They were seats in your first photo above the tunnel in the SOUTH-WEST corner. They are shockers. I mentioned nothing about any seats near the RBB.

Edited by Wanderboy

The place is incredible. You walk through the front entrance then into the seating bowl and the gradient hits you. Pics don’t properly convey it.

Huge fan of it’s simplicity because the design hasn’t lost sight (literally) of what a stadium is actually for. It’s such a monsterous structure but it feels small and intimate. The gap between the roof and the stand let’s a pleasant breeze through, I could’ve sat there all day and taken it in. 

The field is closer to the RBB end than what I first thought from previous pictures. It’s gonna be a treat to watch games from there. Maybe spending the $50 to attend the Leeds game is worth it...

The concourse isn’t fancy either but it’s practical. I like the bbq and seating areas - it will be interesting to see what sort of access people are given to these areas. You’d think they’d allow any category ticket holder to have complete concourse access.

The fact the western stand is basically out of reach for the average punter is still a sore point for me. I thought it was almost cruel the way they let people explore it and the internals because none of us will probably ever get close to it again lol

Overall, it’s outstanding. They need to take that design and just build a dozen of them around the country. You can’t go wrong.

10 hours ago, mack said:

The tunnel to the right of the RBB has a single row of seats and there wasn't any restricted view there. Or maybe they expect people to stand in them. I know the seats right in front of the tunnel to the left of the RBB might be a bit dodgy, but the single row of seats (very odd) to the right hand side of the RBB were fine are are actually pretty damn good seats for a corner.

Probably where the Riot Squad members will hang out if not on active duty???

Can't stand around  on the hill behind the RBB any longer. :D

After riding past this for the last 3 years and watching it go up I can say that seeing it complete and being able to walk around to all areas, the stadium is really quite impressive.

After walking to the old CPC area and checking out the old view, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Heading directly behind the goals on the lower level the RBB definitely feels closer to the pitch and the second tier rake is unbelievable. I can see there will be some people who will probably struggle to get to the very top tier but still you feel incredibly close to the pitch. If the performances on the pitch fill the stands then this is definitely going to be rocking a la WSW vs Melb Victory.. Can't wait..

Speaking of the actual pitch, what are people's thoughts about it? I thought it was a bit 'thin' and seems like it hasn't really had time to bed in yet. I was expecting it to be a bit more plush and soft underfoot without that sunken soil feeling. I guess we'll see how i holds up after the first game of NRL is played on it but I think the groundskeepers are going to have their hands full.

12 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

Geez, I reckon that Field Club area where the players walk through to enter the field is a recipe for disaster.

Be honest though, you see Brosque standing there ready for the game. How tempting would it be to two foot him :lol:

In all seriousness, both Spurs & City have similar facilities. Both I believe have a glass wall that would separate the players from the spectators. The eels are charging 1800 for the privilege (according to beatsurrender) so that’s something.

On top, what’s to stop players from leaving/entering the field at half time via the side doors bypassing the field club? 

2 hours ago, DomJ said:

After riding past this for the last 3 years and watching it go up I can say that seeing it complete and being able to walk around to all areas, the stadium is really quite impressive.

After walking to the old CPC area and checking out the old view, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Heading directly behind the goals on the lower level the RBB definitely feels closer to the pitch and the second tier rake is unbelievable. I can see there will be some people who will probably struggle to get to the very top tier but still you feel incredibly close to the pitch. If the performances on the pitch fill the stands then this is definitely going to be rocking a la WSW vs Melb Victory.. Can't wait..

Speaking of the actual pitch, what are people's thoughts about it? I thought it was a bit 'thin' and seems like it hasn't really had time to bed in yet. I was expecting it to be a bit more plush and soft underfoot without that sunken soil feeling. I guess we'll see how i holds up after the first game of NRL is played on it but I think the groundskeepers are going to have their hands full.

Some strips of individual turf are still visible and seemed like it hasn’t quite caught yet. Union will chew it to bits in its current state.

Went to the 2:00 session. Pretty much what everyone else has said already, especially about it 'hitting you' when you walk into the seating area. The steepness of the upper level is amazing, and I hope the peeps up the back have stretched before making the climb lol.

I didn't check the food / drink options myself, but I did see a post about gluten free food, and at semi-reasonable prices. I have no doubt this is done to cater to the trendies out there (no offence to any trendies here of course), but for people like my daughter and my wife who both have coeliac who actually can't eat gluten, this makes a huge difference to them (and hence to me).

We were leaning on a railing looking at the immaculate playing surface, my daughter said "it will be a shame it will get so chopped up by league / union". As we stood for a moment, they had an interview on the big screen with the company that installed the pitch (I'm assuming they will be and maintaining it on going too). They were talking about the technology that went into the playing surface, and that they can heat / cool the grass to maintain the condition of the surface. If it actually works, that will be amazing. Time will tell I suppose. 

Can't wait to be back.  

Where is active away bays / away bay supporters section....?

They would surely have to be in the line of site of the broadcasters camera’s ....?

we going to miss been 1 bay from them previously, I think I’m going to have to work on my throwing arm for the next 6 months.... 

5 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

I didn't check the food / drink options myself, but I did see a post about gluten free food, and at semi-reasonable prices. I have no doubt this is done to cater to the trendies out there (no offence to any trendies here of course), but for people like my daughter and my wife who both have coeliac who actually can't eat gluten, this makes a huge difference to them (and hence to me).

We are in the same boat as you and my daughter's comment was...." At least I can eat something here"

10 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Be honest though, you see Brosque standing there ready for the game. How tempting would it be to two foot him :lol:

In all seriousness, both Spurs & City have similar facilities. Both I believe have a glass wall that would separate the players from the spectators. The eels are charging 1800 for the privilege (according to beatsurrender) so that’s something.

On top, what’s to stop players from leaving/entering the field at half time via the side doors bypassing the field club? 

Nothing. They can do that if they want.

Re: the viewing area, there was a set of blinds on the player’s side, so I imagine if they want they can keep their warmup private.

Unlike most, I think the top row is too far back. I like being close. Like most stadiums, I think the best spots are the back rows of the lower section or the first rows of the upper section.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

Nothing. They can do that if they want.

Re: the viewing area, there was a set of blinds on the player’s side, so I imagine if they want they can keep their warmup private.

Unlike most, I think the top row is too far back. I like being close. Like most stadiums, I think the best spots are the back rows of the lower section or the first rows of the upper section.

Oxygen bottles are extra..........:D 

I sat up there and though you wouldn;t want to be too pissed and try to get up or down in a hurry....it is steep.

• mack unpinned this topic