Western Sydney Stadium Open

47 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

"Also, us being mostly **** for three years might be a factor too, we have lost a bunch of match goers over the last three seasons and I’m not convinced the new shiny stadium will magically fix that "

These are the pertinent points, not a shiny new stadium in Parra (but that obviously helps), is an aggressive, combative winning team which WILL bring the crowds back in!

Exactly 

27 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Well, winning does help as you say and also being back at a better venue certainly helps.

The Eels, despite winning 3 wooden spoons in the past 5 years, are averaging 21929 (at Bankwest) this season. They've had more success at Bankwest so returning home has certainly helped. I hope the same happens to us.

I think it's a combination of many factors, but being consistently successful the most important. (except if you are ESFC). :)

In our early years, the more we won, the more fans came and the more Pirtek rocked. I'm hoping we start winning again and return to those heady days. I'm also hoping that active gets sorted and starts being filled regularly again. That will make a big difference in a stadium like Bankwest.

Told you I don’t watch NRL

6 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Well not since the days of the magpies playing at Orana park 

I used to go to Lidcombe Oval in the days when they'd squeeze over 20000 into the **** hole and have some of the crowd sitting inside the fence on the cycling track. Only to watch the Eels of course. Those were the days. Haha.

9 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I used to go to Lidcombe Oval in the days when they'd squeeze over 20000 into the **** hole and have some of the crowd sitting inside the fence on the cycling track. Only to watch the Eels of course. Those were the days. Haha.

Same, haven't been to an Eels game since the 2008 GF, the season Storm got busted for rorting the cap.

On 05/07/2019 at 7:24 PM, Jefski said:

Good news, I'm at the stadium to watch the Roosters run around and was frisked and scanned on the way in. Good to see it's not just us Wanderers fans that get checked. 

On the up side, stadium looks great, pitch is fantastic and the view from everywhere is awesome. 

I didn’t catch the crowd figure on tv but it looked like there was hardly anyone there. Top tiers looked like they were closed off. Even the eels games haven’t been overly packed in recent weeks and that western side is still looking bare...

6 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I didn’t catch the crowd figure on tv but it looked like there was hardly anyone there. Top tiers looked like they were closed off. Even the eels games haven’t been overly packed in recent weeks and that western side is still looking bare...

Crowd was recorded as being 13918.

I call bullshit.

I don't understand why the NRL has to pull the GWS Crowd elasticity figure out.? 

There is no way that Bankwest was almost half full for this game.

4 minutes ago, hughsey said:

It didn’t even look like the top tier was open. I know league is now a TV game but to me that’s pretty poor considering the stadium is less than 6 months old

I agree.

Tigers fans have not taken to the place at all.

Probably also has a lot to do with their lack of success.

Next game will be interesting. Tigers vs Eels, yet it is the Tigers home game. There'll be far more Eels fans there, which is embarrassing and a joke for the Tigers.

I think many Aus football fans are getting fatigued with these Euro friendlies. They ticket prices do not help at all either. You're better off having one of those round robin comps with a HAL team included and package deal tickets.

WSW are pushing hard with the "first game at BWS" as the main marketing point, which is fair enough but we've all just forked out $350 for our memberships and now wanting $50-150 for the Leeds friendly that means nothing.

2 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

So where are folk assembling pre-game? Woolie?

In a post Bav world it seems like the go I’ll have a kid with me so the beer garden Resteraunt bit 

also some Leeds fan from Armidale you might know 

On 07/07/2019 at 6:22 PM, Wanderboy said:

Well, winning does help as you say and also being back at a better venue certainly helps.

The Eels, despite winning 3 wooden spoons in the past 5 years, are averaging 21929 (at Bankwest) this season. They've had more success at Bankwest so returning home has certainly helped. I hope the same happens to us.

I think it's a combination of many factors, but being consistently successful the most important. (except if you are ESFC). :)

In our early years, the more we won, the more fans came and the more Pirtek rocked. I'm hoping we start winning again and return to those heady days. I'm also hoping that active gets sorted and starts being filled regularly again. That will make a big difference in a stadium like Bankwest.

Not only have the crowds been bigger, but the Eels have played 5 games there and won 4. The one they lost the opposition played poorly, it's just that the Eels played horrendously. I'd say that only one of the 5 opposition teams has played half decent, the rest have been poor. How much that is down to the stadium is obviously difficult to quantify, but at least two of the games there was a significant impact made by the noise coming from the stands, and in the other games I'd say there was some impact as well.

BUT it is a big ground. The west being totally corporate means that the stadium is as big as a 40k seater. So we have to be on our game to fill it with noise. If we are, and not too many RBB get the ban stick, then I think there will be a significant home ground advantage.

Like Stringer said, the stadium won't fix everything. But it will definitely help.

1 hour ago, beatsurrender said:

So that's 1,000 in the past week.  Hardly flying off the shelves...

Still haven't got mine...meh...will get around to it. Lol's at folks booking tickets months and months in advance for a friendly...but if you want certain seats i suppose...

On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Erimus said:

Still haven't got mine...meh...will get around to it. Lol's at folks booking tickets months and months in advance for a friendly...but if you want certain seats i suppose...

Must admit bought mine a while back, not because it's Leeds (have no love for them) but it's our first game back in Parra, want it full of noise as I left it that last night at Pirtek against the Roar, make more History and be part of it.

I must nave been labouring under the idea it was going to sell out fast as well and I didn't want to miss out, anyways only a week away and I am buzzing cant wait, couple of drinks in Parra bit of game day noise at last, not that flat experience of getting to Olympic park again, thank heavens that is now behind us, will be there with Jack junior shouting my bloody head off, really believe it's going be a great day bring it on!

• mack unpinned this topic