Western Sydney Stadium Open

7 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Just think how bad it's going to be when every man and his dog are playing there for the next 3 years with ANZ and SFS out of action

Will ANZ definitely be out of action?  I thought there were only going to be minor adjustments done there.

Edited by papersun
Grammar
1 hour ago, papersun said:

Will ANZ definitely be out of action?  I thought there were only going to be minor adjustments done there.

Yes, a lot of construction will mean that they can't just close off small sections of ANZ stadium for events

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/plans-for-810-million-redevelopment-of-olympic-park-stadium-revealed/news-story/8db4e12cf144044417279da04e4ab671

So as far as I know, we'll be sharing Bankwest with:

Eels

Bulldogs

Souths

West Tigers

Concerts

Waratahs

I'm resigned to the probability that Sydney FC will also use the stadium their home derbies and Victory games

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, WSWgun said:

A 360 million dollar stadium with leaks in the roof and no rain cover for 1/2 the seats. 

I wouldn’t  give a **** if our team was half decent 

Edited by StringerBellend
17 hours ago, WSWgun said:

A 360 million dollar stadium with leaks in the roof and no rain cover for 1/2 the seats. 

The makeshift waterfalls inside the stadium

Things are looking pretty dire with the western stand. Most of the suites on the top two levels don’t even have the lights turned on, in fact last night it seemed like the only people up there were from the club. The boxes below are only slightly more populated. Whatever the event of the day is that’s on in the auditorium seems to be keeping that stand somewhat lively. I’d hate to see what it’ll look like if they have a matchday without a function on. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Waratahs vs Lions on Foxtel to see how many people turned up.

Had to take my shoes off to get the exact number.  Can't find any official number.  SMH said a small crowd.  Maybe using the same algorithm for Giants crowd numbers at Spotless.

Checked Waratahs fixtures and thankfully no games in the next 6 weeks to stuff up the pitch.  NRL doesn't worry me as match as no real scrums.

Edited by rcfinc
On 29/02/2020 at 6:49 PM, rcfinc said:

Watching Waratahs vs Lions on Foxtel to see how many people turned up.

Had to take my shoes off to get the exact number.  Can't find any official number.  SMH said a small crowd.  Maybe using the same algorithm for Giants crowd numbers at Spotless.

Checked Waratahs fixtures and thankfully no games in the next 6 weeks to stuff up the pitch.  NRL doesn't worry me as match as no real scrums.

Had a mate at the game who posted a pic on his Instagram story and in all seriousness I reckon they would’ve been lucky to have had anymore than 5k there. The corporate side looked deserted too. 

• 3 months later...

So, looks like our pitch is going to be in perfect condition when we return. NOT!

A couple of comments from the Eels forum tonight....

"How shithouse is that surface at Bankwest looking...too many games per week by the looks of it. "

"They moved yesterdays match (Pen v souths) from Campbelltown to Kogarah cause the surface wasn't right for play

Still two Bankwest stadium games to go this round tomorrow and Sunday. Could see one or both moved?? Ground looks woeful when they do a close up "

And that's for RL!! Certainly not even close to being a good enough surface for football.

Edited by Wanderboy
1 minute ago, hughsey said:

I still don’t understand why Bankwest is even being used. When there’s no fans and minimal officials in attendance the facilities are irrelevant. If the NRL really wanted to save money they could’ve easily played at the basic suburban grounds or even used their own training grounds. 

Apparently it is most easy to sanitize.

1 minute ago, hughsey said:

I still don’t understand why Bankwest is even being used. When there’s no fans and minimal officials in attendance the facilities are irrelevant. If the NRL really wanted to save money they could’ve easily played at the basic suburban grounds or even used their own training grounds. 

They allow a certain amount of corporates in and Bankwest has plenty of space and shiny new facilities. Plus good broadcasting facilities. You'd imagine they worked out a cut price deal with the Gov to use it.

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

Please don’t tell me you’re talking about that lame drone that flew around spraying crap over the seats that didn’t even have anyone sitting in them 😂

No. The surfaces

The problem in trying to put blame on the surface for ACL injuries is that ACL's aren't only inflicted on a poor surface. ACL injuries are common in Basketball and Netball for example, and those two games are most often played on hardwood floors.

Unless you fall in a hole in the ground it's hard to determine if the surface played any role. The basic causes of a non-contact ACL injury is generally a player who is in control of their body deciding to rapidly change direction & speed off their plant foot, or landing poorly after jumping in an uncontrolled manner.

The 2nd ACL injury at the NRL game was the players fault imo, he tried a silly razzle dazzle move despite only being a few meters from the opposition players, who were all in a line and were never going to get fooled by his attempted juke move. Coaches should be doing better when players are young to train them out of dangerous physical moves.

The controversial surface at BankWest Stadium will be re-turfed this week after a spate of high-profile injuries were sustained in round seven of the NRL.
Roosters young guns Victor Radley and Sam Verrills, Eels playmaker Mitchell Moses, Canberra forward Corey Horsburgh and Bulldogs fullback Will Hopoate all sustained significant injuries over the course of the weekend.

Venues Live has since made the decision to re-turf the venue despite some Parramatta players suggesting they had no issue with the surface whatsoever.

The surface was due to be re-turfed in the coming weeks but after an NRL commissioned independent turf expert inspection on Saturday night the decision has been made to fast-track the move.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/d8394444e8f449296923e79c150d5ec4

• mack unpinned this topic