Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

20 hours ago, Burztur said:

Who is the best available Aussie for each of those spots? I think its gonna be tough.

Ryan McGowan, Ruka, Kruse, Jurik, Rhys Williams, plus the likes of Dylan McGowan who are bound to be somewhat unhappy at their current overseas clubs. There's really bugger all out there.

20 hours ago, mack said:

Spira, Troisi.

MB was referring to Troisi as "great player", but dismissed him as "too expensive".

29 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Yea Troisi is great but asks too much. I'm pretty sure he is asking for marquee money which is not worth it

Babbel before the last game that he was too expensive. If he eats up a marquee spot I’d be very unhappy.

However we got Schwegler under the cap who on paper is the better player based on resume. Players can ask for anything they like this early in the offseason. **** gets real in July and August. But if we are going to offer big wages under the cap I’d rather go for Spira

Why is Spira mentioned on here so often as a desired/potential signing? I understand the quality he provides,  but surely he'll stay with Perth (what is his contract status?) because of Popa and the ACL?

15 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Why is Spira mentioned on here so often as a desired/potential signing? I understand the quality he provides,  but surely he'll stay with Perth (what is his contract status?) because of Popa and the ACL?

Both grant and Spira have expired and neither will get much game time next season, they certainly won’t start. We’ll get one of them most likely. Perth can’t afford that many expensive CBs again with wage demands increasing. Grant or Spira will be a great outcome

8 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Both grant and Spira have expired and neither will get much game time next season, they certainly won’t start. We’ll get one of them most likely. Perth can’t afford that many expensive CBs again with wage demands increasing. Grant or Spira will be a great outcome

What have I missed?  Why not starting etc?

18 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Yea Troisi is great but asks too much. I'm pretty sure he is asking for marquee money which is not worth it

Maybe its a negotiating tactic to get Troisi to lower his wage demands. Either way, if we can get the best Aussie for each of those other spots, we can fill his with a foreigner.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

What have I missed?  Why not starting etc?

Lowry kept him on the bench even after he returned from injury. We know Popa is overly cautious but Lowry was a huge contributor to the best defence in the league, no way he changes a winning formula.

Alex Grant seems more likely to me, and he's a potential long term cornerstone of our back line. Highly promising and only 23 (24?). He will surely be asking a bit more this year, due to age alone, and we can afford him, Perth simply wont be able to accommodate increased wages.

50 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Lowry kept him on the bench even after he returned from injury. We know Popa is overly cautious but Lowry was a huge contributor to the best defence in the league, no way he changes a winning formula.

Alex Grant seems more likely to me, and he's a potential long term cornerstone of our back line. Highly promising and only 23 (24?). He will surely be asking a bit more this year, due to age alone, and we can afford him, Perth simply wont be able to accommodate increased wages.

Any defender from the Glory to be honest would be great (never thought I would be saying that) to re-iterate the defensive line of Perth is almost the 2014-2015 Socceroos team

MB as quoted in the German media just now: " "Ich hatte ein längeres Gespräch mit unserem Chairman und er ist leider nicht bereit, so tief in die Tasche zu greifen". My translation: "I had a long talk with our chairman, and unfortunately he is not prepared to put his hands into his pockets so deeply [to finance Ribery]". 

The dream stops here, we need to look elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, FCB said:

MB as quoted in the German media just now: " "Ich hatte ein längeres Gespräch mit unserem Chairman und er ist leider nicht bereit, so tief in die Tasche zu greifen". My translation: "I had a long talk with our chairman, and unfortunately he is not prepared to put his hands into his pockets so deeply [to finance Ribery]". 

Short arms, deep pockets sums up our Chairman eh. It was never going to happen.

Berlin.  Ex-international Markus Babbel has admitted that the Australian club Western Sydney Wanderers, coached by him, can not pay the former Bayern professional Franck Ribéry.

"The current situation is such that we can not afford it, I have had a long conversation with our chairman and unfortunately he is not ready to go deep into his pocket," Babbel said in an interview with TV channel Sky ,

He could understand that. "But the door is still open, and if he wants to live a good life with his family, he will have absolute peace and serenity, and Australia would be the perfect place to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world a fantastic lifestyle, "said the former Bayern professional, who has been working as a coach in Australia since last year.

"From a footballer's point of view, of course, he would be the rock star here, so some of my players would probably be frozen in awe, but the overall Ribéry package is not affordable for us at the moment," said Babbel.

The 36-year-old French former international Ribéry had received after twelve years at the German champions no new contracts.

If the club ever wants to win another ACL then they will have to spend the money on marquees. It's as simple as that. Aus clubs will never compete against the top Asian clubs unless they do. WE all know how extremely lucky we were to win it the first time. Asian clubs have improved their rosters immensely while we here in Aus are falling behind. I thought Ribery if signed, would of been a statement of "we are here to compete with the best"....second best it is then.

8 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Berlin.  Ex-international Markus Babbel has admitted that the Australian club Western Sydney Wanderers, coached by him, can not pay the former Bayern professional Franck Ribéry.

"The current situation is such that we can not afford it, I have had a long conversation with our chairman and unfortunately he is not ready to go deep into his pocket," Babbel said in an interview with TV channel Sky ,

He could understand that. "But the door is still open, and if he wants to live a good life with his family, he will have absolute peace and serenity, and Australia would be the perfect place to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world a fantastic lifestyle, "said the former Bayern professional, who has been working as a coach in Australia since last year.

"From a footballer's point of view, of course, he would be the rock star here, so some of my players would probably be frozen in awe, but the overall Ribéry package is not affordable for us at the moment," said Babbel.

The 36-year-old French former international Ribéry had received after twelve years at the German champions no new contracts.

Would be interesting to know what exactly is the price we weren't willing to pay

1 hour ago, FCB said:

So Matty Simon is still an option then.

46 minutes ago, wswnick said:

So FFA not coming to party with Marquee fund then

Lack of ambition by club and the league 

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic