Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Almost. We had him on loan from PAOK. He went from us to the Eredivise with VVV Venlo. He played 2 cup games all season there then venlo let him go and he went to Victory.

Popa doesn't take kindly to players leaving & then wanting to come back a couple of months later. 

Bloody Popovic. Couldn’t stand the idea of a player wanting to test themselves overseas one more time at the expense of ‘his’ club, then Popa pisses off overseas himself, abandoning our club, on the very eve of a season in order to test himself in Europe. Selfish [insert whatever word you as the reader think is is appropriate here].

Edit: I will always be bitter about this!

Edited by Generator
15 minutes ago, FCB said:

That Garcia guy has played more than 100 games in league that was one bridge too far for Andreu, Dimas, Alberto, Fornaroli.

Agree

For comparison, Diego Castro had only 4 goals and no assists in his last La Liga season.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Agree

For comparison, Diego Castro had only 4 goals and no assists in his last La Liga season.

Pace, stamina, being able to stay injury free on the hard pitches, coping with the physicality of the game, and performing in the Australian heat - if a player coming from Europe ticks these boxes then he can be an assett. Unfortunately one only knows if that's the case once they are here, as we all learned with Cejudo.

4 minutes ago, FCB said:

Pace, stamina, being able to stay injury free on the hard pitches, coping with the physicality of the game, and performing in the Australian heat - if a player coming from Europe ticks these boxes then he can be an assett. Unfortunately one only knows if that's the case once they are here, as we all learned with Cejudo.

For sure.

In checking his record, looks like he was on loan last season, copped a knee injury early in the season and was not in the Levante squad for the rest of the season. 

He should be hungry for game time. Agree on the hard pitches but if he is looked after we should get a good player ala Broich and the Albanian terror

3 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I read that as Antonis asked to come back and we told him to get ****ed? Brilliant...

I was told Popa and JT were in Greece for 2 weeks hammering out a transfer deal and got it done. Antonis then turned around and said he wants to wait a couple of weeks to see what he can get in Europe.

Calls back a few weeks later because nothing panned out and thats when Popa told him to F off.

Who knows what the real truth is.

37 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Calls back a few weeks later because nothing panned out and thats when Popa told him to F off.

Brilliant decision.

Instead of getting a young, local born Australian midfielder on a long term deal that could have played for us another 8+ years JT let Popa reject him because of a two week delay in the world's longest preseason before he came back to Victory and helped win them a title.

Is it a possibility that he had waited too long & forced us to sign someone else? As in that’s why he told him to **** off?

I guess there is only so long that you can hold off before having to be concerned about building the squad. You’ve forgotten how many times we’ve been burned with players leaving late & screwing up our squad cause of cap issues.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

Brilliant decision.

Instead of getting a young, local born Australian midfielder on a long term deal that could have played for us another 8+ years JT let Popa reject him because of a two week delay in the world's longest preseason before he came back to Victory and helped win them a title.

Had JT opposed Popa he would have undermined the coach.

JT has said numerous times that the club will always support the coach. Without that support the coach can't work. That's how we ended up with Gombau's five signings, that's how we ended up with Popa's hits and his misses.

Let's hope the Babbel Meister has something different to offer.

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

So have we decided yet if this rumor is a piss take or for real?  

I'm on the side of this rumour being bullshit. 

The guy's previous tweets don't have any credibilty at all, and I can't see why Marcus would suddenly switch to Spain as a source of players, or why he would think we need a foreign winger when other more central positions have a greater need to be filled by a quality import.

1 hour ago, papersun said:

The guy's previous tweets don't have any credibilty at all, and I can't see why Marcus would suddenly switch to Spain as a source of players, or why he would think we need a foreign winger when other more central positions have a greater need to be filled by a quality import.

Glass Dong aside, this is my biggest reason why it’s old mate having a lend of said Willy.

Babs said getting foreigners won’t be a problem, and he showed that getting Schwegler under the cap. Then all of a sudden digs some bloke warming the bench for a Spanish side that’s lacking firepower? Yeah, send me back Sotirio if this is real. 

With Duke and Yeboah, I’d much prefer we hunted down a local on the wings or bring up another whipper snapper. We need a 15 goal striker (not inc pens), not a budget Cejudo

1 hour ago, papersun said:

Here's to hoping he's smarter than that and takes your advice. 

3 hours ago, papersun said:

Our interest in krishna and kosta suggests that we are after a versatile attacker under the cap. 

MB wants to see competition for every single position. We are light up front, missing a CF, a winger and an AM, as well as a CB and another DM. 

MB has said that the door for ribery remains open. So unless ziegler is an aussie already, the fifth import spot will remain vacant for now, and one of the marquee spots would be filled by an aussie. And there is the minor technicality that we have three players on the books we don't want any longer...

The waiting continues. 

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic