Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

2 minutes ago, marron said:

Stringer, do you remember though when it was on New Canterbury Rd?

To be honest no, I only discovered it in the new digs, they sold the old building to the posh kids school who have built an art gallery on it

2 hours ago, FCB said:

Based on this season's performance, you'd be hard pressed to find a No 1 GK who is less steady than Vedran. Izzo would probably be an upgrade, but that's not enough. The question is if he is a GK who stands as tall (as Ante did), and wins you the big and tight games. Based on last night, the answer is "no". A better GK would have saved at least one of the three goals Adelaide conceded.

Okay who do suggest then? 

I think somewhere on this forum it was suggested that we were going to sign a keeper who had player for the Socceroos in the past, someone like Adam Federici possibly?

12 hours ago, papersun said:

Okay who do suggest then? 

I think somewhere on this forum it was suggested that we were going to sign a keeper who had player for the Socceroos in the past, someone like Adam Federici possibly?

Lawrence Thomas or import.

18 hours ago, FCB said:

Based on this season's performance, you'd be hard pressed to find a No 1 GK who is less steady than Vedran. 

If by less steady you mean worst then yea I agree.  The amount of times we had wave after wave of attack this season only for the ball to get down the defensive end for the first time and we conceded and find ourselves 1-0 down were countless.  You don't necessarily expect your keeper to win you games but you want them to occasionally keep you in the game or salvage a point, but definitely not directly cost you plenty of points like this season.

Ved will need to come back with a fresh start and fresh attitude with all the new faces, i think he will be ok with a proper settled back line. Not much point of changing him if the replacement will be of the same quality. 

A quality cb like spira with an import dm of larocca's rockness is a priority over changing Ved. 

33 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Ved will need to come back with a fresh start and fresh attitude with all the new faces, i think he will be ok with a proper settled back line. Not much point of changing him if the replacement will be of the same quality. 

A quality cb like spira with an import dm of larocca's rockness is a priority over changing Ved. 

He’s always been like this even when he played for the other lot

Curious to know what people think is the right percentile mix of attack versus defence to win the aleague. Do you stack the defence to stop goals against with a weaker attack, or have a very pointy attack with a weaker backline in the hopes of outscoring? I'm including the mid field as I think some teams have a more attacking/defensive nature in the centre. I feel it's 60 defence, 40 attack. Thoughts?

Perth was an example of "lets just score more goals then them" great forwards poor defense and long comes popa fixes the defense improves the midfield and lo and behold grandfinalists 55% defence 45% attack, stop em scoring and you only have to grab one.

Edited by Keithie

The team with the best defence has won the league for the last 10 seasons.

The best attack usually wins the league, but not always. In 12/13, 13/14 and 15/16 the league winner wasn't the most scoring team. Adelaide and WSW in the year they finished 1 & 2 were the 6th and 7th team for attack.

I made a post it might have been in the last thread, a huge amount of football games finish with scores between 0-0 and 2-2. You need a team capable of being on the better side of results in that set, and games outside that set you're more likely to win anyway if you're the better team defensively.

Across world football it's the teams teams who keep a season average of less than a goal per game against them that are the ones challenging for the title.

If you put together a football team that won every game it played 1-0 it would be the best team in history. If there was an EPL team that played 38 times but won 19 games 6-0 and lost 19 games 6-0, they wouldn't even qualify for European football. A team that won 12 games 1-0 but lost the other 26 by 10-0 would survive relegation and so would a team that drew 38 games nil-all.

In short, a team that doesn't have a top 2 defence isn't likely to win any trophies.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/kamprec.html#noscore

23 minutes ago, mack said:

The team with the best defence has won the league for the last 10 seasons.

The best attack usually wins the league, but not always. In 12/13, 13/14 and 15/16 the league winner wasn't the most scoring team. Adelaide and WSW in the year they finished 1 & 2 were the 6th and 7th team for attack.

I made a post it might have been in the last thread, a huge amount of football games finish with scores between 0-0 and 2-2. You need a team capable of being on the better side of results in that set, and games outside that set you're more likely to win anyway if you're the better team defensively.

Across world football it's the teams teams who keep a season average of less than a goal per game against them that are the ones challenging for the title.

If you put together a football team that won every game it played 1-0 it would be the best team in history. If there was an EPL team that played 38 times but won 19 games 6-0 and lost 19 games 6-0, they wouldn't even qualify for European football. A team that won 12 games 1-0 but lost the other 26 by 10-0 would survive relegation and so would a team that drew 38 games nil-all.

In short, a team that doesn't have a top 2 defence isn't likely to win any trophies.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/kamprec.html#noscore

Yep. It was plain to see for all of us that we couldn't defend. Individual brain fades aside....lol A lot of soft goals. Squad wasn't good enough and tbh it would not have mattered who the manager was. The quality was not there ( or was injured.) This season moreso than last. 

If Babbel can get it right next season we will be a a contender. 

3 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Curious to know what people think is the right percentile mix of attack versus defence to win the aleague. Do you stack the defence to stop goals against with a weaker attack, or have a very pointy attack with a weaker backline in the hopes of outscoring? I'm including the mid field as I think some teams have a more attacking/defensive nature in the centre. I feel it's 60 defence, 40 attack. Thoughts?

The 2 teams with the best defensive records will play the GF, Perth 23 & ESFC 29 respectively.

https://www.a-league.com.au/ladder

8 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Barbarouses and Krishna would be ideal providing they are not on marquee contracts next year

9 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Spira left, it was a crisis

NTS left, it was a half crisis 

Hamill leaving is not a crisis.

2 minutes ago, mack said:

No big loss for me. He's defensively suspect and only ever good when he's got a better defender alongside. And for all the talk about "experienced leadership", what's happened with the mentality in the last 2 years has been the opposite of what we need.

One last time 

always summed him up for me 

39 minutes ago, mack said:

No big loss for me. He's defensively suspect and only ever good when he's got a better defender alongside. And for all the talk about "experienced leadership", what's happened with the mentality in the last 2 years has been the opposite of what we need.

Just sign another foreign defender if a decent Aussie isn't available, such as Sainsbury on loan as suggested earlier.

Need defenders who can either pass accurately out of defence or hoof when the occasion warrants.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic