mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

A hardened BL player in the HAL.

Ziegler 27 BL games, Ono 29, Broich 87, Treejack 97, Schwegler 261. Has been playing BL since 2006 (with one year of BL2), and comes from BL to us. Not much else to say really. Fantastic signing.

16 minutes ago, FCB said:

A hardened BL player in the HAL.

Ziegler 27 BL games, Ono 29, Broich 87, Treejack 97, Schwegler 261. Has been playing BL since 2006 (with one year of BL2), and comes from BL to us. Not much else to say really. Fantastic signing.

Yea tend to agree, just got to keep him on the park is the key, great discipline for someone who plays his position with not many yellows considering but has had injury prone seasons prior so hopefully we keep him fit.

14 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Is he the one that needs to put on some bulk?

He is one of them, along with O'Doherty, Kamau and probably a couple more.  I remember how in the FFA Cup match in Darwin Grozos started brightly but injured his arm or shoulder in a fairly innocuous challenge.

Something I am looking forward to seeing in the squad next season is fewer injuries and an increased physical presence on the field.  From what I hear we have the staff expertise, so I hope it happens.

His brother is a RB at FC Luzern. There's the connection to Babbel. Oddly enough our club has got his age confused with his brother (34). 

Edit: they fixed his age to 32 in article 

I first heard about our interest in Pirmin Schwegler about 10 days ago, when a WSW associate mentioned that he'd be coming down under.

I doubted we'd get someone of his quality, so MB has already proven his worth in the recruiting game

3XwCPbOz_bigger.jpgJohnny @FilaJohn
FollowingFollowing @FilaJohn
More

@wswanderersfc new german signing for next season is Pirmin Schwegler @Wandererstragic @Gatty54 @DavidLewis31

9:13 PM - 5 May 2019

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

what do they expect? Mo Salah to turn up?

Using Liverpool players as a reference for quality now are we?

:P

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Flytox said:
Upcoming transfer
19/20 Jul 1, 2019 Hannover 96 Germany Hannover 96 Western Sydney Wanderers Australia Western Sydney £2.25m Free Transfer

Does that mean we're paying him €2.25mill in euros? 

Definitely marquee player if that's the case!! 

Edited by wanderersfanatic

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Does that mean we're paying him 2.25 euros? 

Believe that's just his market value the £2.25m. It's a free transfer as either his contract was up or he had a clause that he could leave if Hannover were relegated to BL2 (which they have been)

Edited by SteveB

7 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

Does that mean we're paying him €2.25mill in euros? 

Nope, he's coming here for the lifestyle

Anyone know any specifics about style?

e.g. is this guy a DM, AM or pure CM?  And does he have the motor for box to box or does he prefer to camp somewhere?

4 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyone know any specifics about style?

e.g. is this guy a DM, AM or pure CM?  And does he have the motor for box to box or does he prefer to camp somewhere?

Some info about him here.....

https://forum.insidesport.com.au/2787787/WSW-sign-Pirmin-Schwegler

17 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Using Liverpool players as a reference for quality now are we?

:P

Not quite I’m making the assumption that the Facebook complainers are kopites 

Still had a year to go on his contract, but there was a clause saying he could leave on a free if they weren't in the top flight.

This guy has the pedigree to be one of our best import signings.

The perfect foil for our young central midfielders.

Cool, so a pure DM.  Hopefully Ziggy is fit and classified as an Aussie, between them they can shore up the back and leave other foreign/marquee spots open for other positions.

57 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I love we sign a former Swiss international with 250 plus games in a top flight European league, straight out of a BL season and the comments on Facebook find something to whinge about 

“never heard of him”

”retirement league”

what do they expect? Mo Salah to turn up?

Matt Simon would break Salah in half

17 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

The perfect foil for our young central midfielders.

Ok, so current potential lineup and positions for next year including this guy is?

13 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Ok, so current potential lineup and positions for next year including this guy is?

Too early to say, we are still to sign another 6 or so senior players. MB will want to start into the season with 14 or 15 seniors player. He mentioned several times that the make up of the 18/19 squad was too unbalanced, too young and inexperienced. 

A brotherly connection has helped Markus Babbel land the first piece of his rebuilding at Western Sydney, signing Swiss international midfielder Pirmin Schwegler for next season.

The 32-year-old comes direct from the Bundesliga, having spent the last season as captain of Hannover 96. But the club’s relegation meant he was free to leave, and Babbel was able to broker the deal in person on holiday in Germany.

It is the second time he has signed a Schwegler, after bringing Pirmin’s brother, Christian, to FC Luzern 18 months ago in the Swiss League.

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/markus-babbel-lures-swiss-star-pirmin-schwegler-to-western-sydney-wanderers/news-story/bd284f87d2b7798422f2577fca5d3e3b#click=https://t.co/w3DH6PeS3C

Its bittersweet if you think Babbel has said getting foreign players is no issue, its the Australian players that's the issue.  I think we would have the best squad if there was no restrictions on foreign players.

So we have at present

GK Vedran, Nizic, Suman (u21)

RB Georgievski/Russell

CB Ziggy/ Tass/ Vacant

LB Georgievski/ Elrich/ Cordier

DM Schwegler/ Baccus/ O'Doherty/ Monge (u21)

AM Vacant/ Grozos

RW Kamau/Yeboah/Duke

LW Yeboah/Duke/Vacant

ST Vacant/ Duke/ Adam?

Great work if he’s under the cap. I suspect players like this will come more freely if we’ve got young fellas eating up less cash.

3 more of this caliber and 2 really solid Aussies and we will be looking sh/it hot