Jump to content
mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Themumf said:

Dude also had a firm feeling that Jurman was heading to ESFC. So yeah. 

Which dude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Beer said:

Announce Hooper.

His knee(s) no good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Taurus said:

His knee(s) no good

Makes sense.

He basically begged and pleaded with an SPL side to sign him and no one would, even as a free agent.

Not worth taking the risk on a marquee that isn't 100% fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I hope this prediction is as accurate as the jurman one :D

Brings back memories of the Happy guy, who predicted a few years ago that Jurman (and others) were going to be signed but weren't. This time we have the reverse: Jurman was going to return to Smurfs or land in Perth, but signed with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Taurus said:

His knee(s) no good

Well, if his knees are no good on the softer pitches in the UK, they'll be totally buggered on our rock hard summer decks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announce Anthony Stokes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Got a longer rap sheet that Bulut

If we have any kind of no dickhead policy, he would fill the quota for the whole squad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Taurus said:

@FCB

What's doing with Harnik?

This article in English, is more confusing than some of my posts 

https://twitter.com/En24News/status/1168461492225794049

 

He’s at HSV on loan now, intending to finish his career there: https://www.abendblatt.de/sport/fussball/hsv/article226995231/Martin-Harnik-plant-Karriereende-beim-HSV.html

Good signs if we’re continuing to look at players of his calibre...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The signings for this season appear to be better than those for any of the last three years - which has got me thinking about 'the big picture'.

I highly suspect our relative success this season in that sphere is no coincidence, but part of an overall strategy by the owners to minimise their investment in playing personnel in the SOP area years, and maximise it once we had our own stadium.

What point would there have been trying to pull in bigger crowds with a big name or even better players to a depressing venue - far better to invest in training facilities and youth development in preparation for Bankwest's availability.

While those 'lost years' were painful, I doubt any of us would have done anything differently, had we been paying the bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iamwesternsydney said:

Evidence?

Already just signed to a Turkish club, not sure we want another womaniser causing trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, echidna said:

The signings for this season appear to be better than those for any of the last three years - which has got me thinking about 'the big picture'.

I highly suspect our relative success this season in that sphere is no coincidence, but part of an overall strategy by the owners to minimise their investment in playing personnel in the SOP area years, and maximise it once we had our own stadium.

What point would there have been trying to pull in bigger crowds with a big name or even better players to a depressing venue - far better to invest in training facilities and youth development in preparation for Bankwest's availability.

While those 'lost years' were painful, I doubt any of us would have done anything differently, had we been paying the bills.

I disagree. If anything, those are the years where the big money should have been paid for quality players to challenge for the title - more than any other year. The level of damage done to the club by having mediocre teams at terrible venues is yet to be determined, but I think it will take a few seasons at Bankwest to bring back a lot of fans lost over the years at SOP. I personally know of a few who have become completely apathetic to WSW and have nowhere near the enthusiasm for the coming season as they did before SOP. Yes the actual venue being **** and security and transport issues played a role but imagine the level of enthusiasm a continual winning team over the last few seasons would be like going now into Bankwest. It would have picked up where it left off pre SOP without having to almost start again attracting the fans!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taurus said:

@FCB

What's doing with Harnik?

This article in English, is more confusing than some of my posts 

https://twitter.com/En24News/status/1168461492225794049

 

Moving from Bremen (BL1) to Hamburg (BL2). Good luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FCB said:

Moving from Bremen (BL1) to Hamburg (BL2). Good luck to him.

I'm not a fan of your attitude, on this occasion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedBlackOle said:

He’s at HSV on loan now, intending to finish his career there: https://www.abendblatt.de/sport/fussball/hsv/article226995231/Martin-Harnik-plant-Karriereende-beim-HSV.html

Good signs if we’re continuing to look at players of his calibre...

He'd make mince meat of the AL defences

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, echidna said:

The signings for this season appear to be better than those for any of the last three years - which has got me thinking about 'the big picture'.

I highly suspect our relative success this season in that sphere is no coincidence, but part of an overall strategy by the owners to minimise their investment in playing personnel in the SOP area years, and maximise it once we had our own stadium.

What point would there have been trying to pull in bigger crowds with a big name or even better players to a depressing venue - far better to invest in training facilities and youth development in preparation for Bankwest's availability.

While those 'lost years' were painful, I doubt any of us would have done anything differently, had we been paying the bills.

The point of trying to pull bigger crowds with better players in the SOP years would have been that we had a bigger ground to take of advantage of it. The first derby at ANZ had $63k crowd, our Mariners style squad got hammered and we haven't yet recovered. 

Did Popa have money in season 1 of Sop and not spend it? As for Season 2 we spent money, Reira and Cejudo weren't cheap at all, we didn't spend it well, and then we tried to play Gumby ball.

Last season who knows what was available money wise, but Gumby signed a bunch of A League journey men

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The point of trying to pull bigger crowds with better players in the SOP years would have been that we had a bigger ground to take of advantage of it. The first derby at ANZ had $63k crowd, our Mariners style squad got hammered and we haven't yet recovered. 

Did Popa have money in season 1 of Sop and not spend it? As for Season 2 we spent money, Reira and Cejudo weren't cheap at all, we didn't spend it well, and then we tried to play Gumby ball.

Last season who knows what was available money wise, but Gumby signed a bunch of A League journey men

 

He did. We were going to sign the Brazilian in December, but FFA had forgotten to tell WSW and VIC that the Cahill rule did only apply for Cahill.

Bridgey, Jamo, NTS all left late, the market was empty by then, they could not be adequately replaced. We were lucky that we got Cornflakes, if you want to call it that way. But the rest of the recruitment train wreck that season is all on Popa. Give both Andreu and Alberto a pay rise, and scratch Pinatares and Borda. Replace Vidosic and Castelen with decent imports, not with a Jumpei and an accounting marquee who was only match fit once the season was half over. Sign Vukovic instead of letting him go to Smurfs unopposed.

We would have been humming in S5. Instead, it is only now that the final pieces of schrapnel have been removed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Row-Mayo Castelen was the biggest loss. 

Had he had another season like the last 3 months of his 2nd season, he would have been immense for us.

Who did we replace him with, Sotirio? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Row-Mayo Castelen was the biggest loss. 

Had he had another season like the last 3 months of his 2nd season, he would have been immense for us.

Who did we replace him with, Sotirio? 

Jumpei......:sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sonar said:

Jumpei......:sorry:

FMD, I don't want to relive those nightmares. 

I was at training the day he arrived with his manager. My initial reaction to his work wasn't glowing to say the least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taurus said:

Row-Mayo Castelen was the biggest loss. 

Had he had another season like the last 3 months of his 2nd season, he would have been immense for us.

Who did we replace him with, Sotirio? 

Jumpy 

The Japanese Sotirio

 

to be fair to the five Dock Messi at least  he wasn’t on big $

 

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Taurus said:

Which dude?

Old mate Keithie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...