mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Can anyone re-cap all the friendlies we have played so far. Wiki states we have played 5 but I feel we have played more?

43 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Why can't we have both???

Good call. I buy a cake so I can eat it.

We played 2 NPL sides Blacktown & someone else, who I can't recall as I didn't attend, prior to the Leeds game. 

We've played Gold Coast, Jets, Perth, CCM, SU58 & Nix, so by my count, it's 9 games so far

6 hours ago, Taurus said:

We played 2 NPL sides Blacktown & someone else, who I can't recall as I didn't attend, prior to the Leeds game. 

We've played Gold Coast, Jets, Perth, CCM, SU58 & Nix, so by my count, it's 9 games so far

The first game was against Hills United

Good work Taurus for setting them straight, the bigger picture needs to be looked at. All will be well, season doesn't start for a month so these injuries and results in friendlies aren't a concern, it's only if they happen in the season proper should we start to think about being concerned. The more the youth get this experience now, the better place we will be in if they are needed throughout the season. The nature of the Aleague means all teams will need too use their youth at some time, the difference is how prepared they are for it.

10 hours ago, wendybr said:

Ahhhh Beer and FCB rekindle their friendship! :lol::lol:

I drink beer, I don't communicate with it. His comments above are a reminder why he is on my ignore list.

Every year in every sport people get excited/concerned about their team’s chances when watching pre-season only to find out it means nothing.

We’ve had two games that have meant something. We won them both. In one we showed great character away from home. In the other we smashed one of the teams that A-league teams should smash but often struggle to.

Looking good.

12 minutes ago, FCB said:

I drink beer, I don't communicate with it. His comments above are a reminder why he is on my ignore list.

I talk to my beer all the time. Sometimes it provides the most engaging conversation, especially when we catch up with members of my wife's old mothers group. (Dad's will understand)

14 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Although I feel worried, I'm gonna stay calm. We fielded a lot of 2nd team players and youth players. Still very frustrating though. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Was certainly nothing to worry about, it was a friendly and was played like it, there was no intensity from either team and you could count on one hand the amount of challenges in the game, if you had possession there wasn't much stopping you keeping it.  We were a little loose at the back and a few interceptions and getting caught in possession gave them a few early looks but we were better on the ball in most cases and created some good stuff which we couldn't finish, there was a few chances that Adam and Yeboah had that really should of been buried and we looked heavy in the legs which can happen preseason. I actually said to my mate, not sure why Nix came all this way when with the intensity of this game they could of stayed home and played shirts off instead. 

On 20/08/2019 at 9:46 AM, Wanderingbeersclub said:

I would suggest we lock in Friday September 20th to collectively lose our ****.
3 weeks out from the start of the season. Post the closure of overseas windows. Plus it's a Friday so no one will want to do actual work. 
Perfect day to spend refreshing the forum and putting out poorly thought through tweets with the club tagged calling for the club to throw large $$$  at some obscure footballer we have no actual links too. 

#panicday

I feel this is an appropriate time to remind Beer and others that #panicday is not till the 20th.

Please don't disrespect this sacred institution and its long history (22 days and counting) by prematurely throwing the toys out of the pram.  
Come the 20th we can all feel free to ignore all progress made this off season, ignore the academy & ignore the new stadium.  We can then threaten to tear up the membership and demand the re-signing of the five dock messi, and, god willing, the return of Dino K. 

8 days to go. Prepare your pitchforks.

10 hours ago, Taurus said:

FCB has a much better handle on our playing stocks, despite not attending any youff games 

When MB arrived at the club last year, he did a stock take, and his reaction was "dear oh dear oh dear". And then he went to work. As the season progressed, Majok Tate Tass Baccus JoD, Suman Cordier Grozos (pity about his injuries) stood tall while the senior players kept dropping the ball. Wilmering and Adam have now joined the party.

MB has raised the bar considerable. While most of our senior players could not jump high enough, the young players could, did, and continue to do so. As it stands, they have made HAL journeymen obsolete. This is a significant achievement and development, something that is going to shape the club for years to come.

I am reminded of Klopp at BVB. Ten years ago he first trained up and then threw in young players wholesale (Goetze, Lewandowski, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer, Sahin, Bender, Kagawa, Gundogan, Peresic). By the time the other clubs realized what was going on it was too late: BVB rolled the BL first, and then just about everyone else in Europe.

It has finally dawned on beteasy that something is cooking at wsw (thanks for the odds of $17), and no doubt they will tighten their odds further once the import CF arrives. The rest of the world including the media hacks might take a little longer to wake up. May their slumber last for a while longer.

3 minutes ago, teddies said:

6 games a little over the year? Am I reading this right?

As much as I despised the bloke because he could find the back of our net.. he could find the back of the net. 

It would also be another reason for the sky blue muppets to hate us. I'd like that ....

37 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Would be a retrograde step in my view.  I would rather we continue to patiently stalk a prize catch.

Jumpei, Piovacarri, cejudo possibilities...? No Ty. 

MB was initially looking for an assistant coach he knew and trusted. Once the overseas candidates realised that Australia is a far away place they lost interest. That's how we ended up with JP as assistant.

If our overseas targets can't be convinced and don't want to come then give me Berisha any time. He'll score in the big games, and he won't miss the sitters. Feed him, and he'll score. 

And I'd take a bucket with me to the game, just in case I need to puke. Jurman and Berisha in red and black could be very unsettling. 

38 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Berisha would be a step back on what we've been doing. Do you think FC or Victory would be signing him as their primary striker?

Well the smurfs signed ABJ as their 10, didn't they?

6 minutes ago, alexd said:

Well the smurfs signed ABJ as their 10, didn't they?

Sort of, Ninkovic would be first choice playmaker, I'd imagine.

They're probably trying to replicate their dual playmaker role when they had Miezerjewski and Dimitrejevic before him (de Jong played it last season when fit).

54 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Berisha would be a step back on what we've been doing. Do you think FC or Victory would be signing him as their primary striker?

He doesn't miss many.

1 hour ago, FCB said:

MB was initially looking for an assistant coach he knew and trusted. Once the overseas candidates realised that Australia is a far away place they lost interest. That's how we ended up with JP as assistant.

If our overseas targets can't be convinced and don't want to come then give me Berisha any time. He'll score in the big games, and he won't miss the sitters. Feed him, and he'll score. 

And I'd take a bucket with me to the game, just in case I need to puke. Jurman and Berisha in red and black could be very unsettling. 

Imagine Jurman and Reddy reinstating hostilities in games against Perth.

Or could we see Grant and Jurman square off. That would be hilarious

Berisha I am not so sure that would be the way to go when we have been searching so long would you really want to spend the money on him? Would rather wait for the right fit.

I would also consider the way we are playing and whether he would fit in our system. Were playing very quick and mobile. Berisha is fox in the box kind of player which is good but not when we launch a counter attack.

Edited by Sithslayer1991

1 hour ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Victory just announced Traore. Seems they don't mind a recycle.

10 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Can't call it the same thing, Traore is 5 years younger than Berisha.

18 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Berisha I am not so sure that would be the way to go when we have been searching so long would you really want to spend the money on him? Would rather wait for the right fit.

I would also consider the way we are playing and whether he would fit in our system. Were playing very quick and mobile. Berisha is fox in the box kind of player which is good but not when we launch a counter attack.

Berisha thrives on the counter.. 

https://www.a-league.com.au/video/berishas-six-best

At least 2 of those are from the counter. 

24 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

But which one?