Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Using my extensive FIFA experience, the clear solution to our #9 solution is to fork out millions of dollars for a scouting network in Brazil or Argentina and find some promising 18 year old kid

It has worked so far for my career mode, I found a Brazilian striker named Fabio Ribeiro who is currently top scoring in the Premier League with 3 goals in 4 matches - he's only 77 on FIFA but he has 99 Finishing and notably scored the winner in the 2-1 FA Cup Final victory against Tottenham Hotspur in the 2023/24 season - a screamer from 30 yards in the 88th minute - to let Stevenage FC be the first team in the history of the FA Cup to win from the third division...

Just now, Unlimited said:

Using my extensive FIFA experience, the clear solution to our #9 solution is to fork out millions of dollars for a scouting network in Brazil or Argentina and find some promising 18 year old kid

It has worked so far for my career mode, I found a Brazilian striker named Fabio Ribeiro who is currently top scoring in the Premier League with 3 goals in 4 matches - he's only 77 on FIFA but he has 99 Finishing and notably scored the winner in the 2-1 FA Cup Final victory against Tottenham Hotspur in the 2023/24 season - a screamer from 30 yards in the 88th minute - to let Stevenage FC be the first team in the history of the FA Cup to win from the third division...

Fool proof. Let's do it.

1 minute ago, Pup55 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/january/a-z-danny-graham/

DONE DEAL.

DANNY GRAHAM TO WESTERN SYDNEY.

(Scroll down to the letter W in the A to Z)

Haha, amazing find. Surprised he’s not joining Robbie’s British Army in Brisbane.

Recent goal-scoring record is passable, but we should remember that this is the same Danny Graham that took TWO YEARS and 28 games to score for Sunderland, so I’m more than a little cautious. 

And he’s 34 - same age as Berisha. Who is a proven A-League goalscorer, and an Australian. Get Berisha under the cap, and we could go shopping for another international marquee in midfield or at wingback.

And why is there no chat for Bobô? He’s only a few months older, and I reckon he’d be worth more goals than either of them based on his one season here.

Bottom line - I don’t think Graham is marquee material, and there are still better - and more reliable - options out there.

7 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-boss-danny-graham-16750618.amp

This article (from a month ago) makes me think a move wouldn't be off the cards either.....

That article isn’t too encouraging. Coach says he is suited to long balls pumped up to him and not an “athletic “ attacking style .

I think someone like this guy shows us one thing.....the season is now less than a month away and we're running out of time.

Graham is a serviceable journeyman who is rock hard fit, has a clean injury record, and has a long career getting hacked all over the UK. We know (hope) his body will hold up in Australia.

He isn't a marquee, and he isn't a big name that puts bums on seats, but he is a safe number 9 who would likely do a good job. I don't think he'd be the man to lead the line on his own, but in a partnership with Duke or Yeboah running off him, I think he'd be effective.

124 Premier League games.

233 Championship games.

146 League One games.

45 FA / League Cup Games.

500+ games across England and has scored 166 goals in the process.

Compare him to someone like Adam Le Fondre who has done really really well in the A League......similar number of games across the UK, although half of ALF career and 70% of his goals were scored in his 234 League Two matches. A division that Graham has never seen. On paper........Graham > Le Fondre.

Maybe we've decided to go safe now a month out, with limited options available, and hope that Ziegler becomes an Aussie between now and January which would allow us to strengthen in any area we see fit?

Blackburn play again at midnight Saturday. We'll see if he is in the squad then......

1 hour ago, Pup55 said:

I think someone like this guy shows us one thing.....the season is now less than a month away and we're running out of time.

Graham is a serviceable journeyman who is rock hard fit, has a clean injury record, and has a long career getting hacked all over the UK. We know (hope) his body will hold up in Australia.

He isn't a marquee, and he isn't a big name that puts bums on seats, but he is a safe number 9 who would likely do a good job. I don't think he'd be the man to lead the line on his own, but in a partnership with Duke or Yeboah running off him, I think he'd be effective.

124 Premier League games.

233 Championship games.

146 League One games.

45 FA / League Cup Games.

500+ games across England and has scored 166 goals in the process.

Compare him to someone like Adam Le Fondre who has done really really well in the A League......similar number of games across the UK, although half of ALF career and 70% of his goals were scored in his 234 League Two matches. A division that Graham has never seen. On paper........Graham > Le Fondre.

Maybe we've decided to go safe now a month out, with limited options available, and hope that Ziegler becomes an Aussie between now and January which would allow us to strengthen in any area we see fit?

Blackburn play again at midnight Saturday. We'll see if he is in the squad then......

I would rather a safe no namer who can do their job than a big name flop who comes out here on holiday and his profile distracts the team doing their job.  Name one big name marquee who has done anything in the A League Del Piero (barely), Gallas (flop), Yorke (flop), Heskey (flop), Fowler (flop), Romario (brief appearance flop), Villa (actually looked good but only 3 or 4 games) and then the Aussie ones, Cahill, Emerton, Kewell and Kennedy none really set the League on fire.  Who had heard of Broiche, Ono, Berisha, Ninkovic, Castro, Fornarolli?, and yet all had much more impact. A boke like Graham who has scored plenty in the last 3 seasons, playing in a league which is tough and physical and hasnt been plagued by injury with a good disciplinary record - yea I'll take that.

Edited by scarcev
1 hour ago, Pup55 said:

He isn't a marquee, and he isn't a big name that puts bums on seats, but he is a safe number 9 who would likely do a good job.

Potential marquee men don't come to Australia, they are out of reach, they go elsewhere. In 2019 "marquee" means "paid outside of the cap", "big name/bums on seat" means "someone the FB family types can relate to".

Give them a Swiss international who was at the WC, played 12 years in the BL, was captain and vice captain for three BL teams, and their response will be "Pirmin Who??". In contrast, tell them "ex Man United and EPL player", and Campbell would have been getting the tick.

This late in the transfer window all the good players are taken, the remaining free agents are now too unfit to have them available for Rd1. Or there is something wrong with them. And so the club needs to look at players who are still contracted, and that means transfer sum negotiations. 

But the main issue is finding someone who actually wants to come, that's key. We need a player who will score goals in the big games, someone like Toivonen. Riera wasn't it, Campbell would have, any fit and motivated football pro with a solid Championship track record and legs left in him will do the trick.

The wait continues.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic