mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

4 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Seems about right to me. 

Cejudo was a big disappointment as I think he had the capability with him. 

Borda really was terrible wasn't he.  Hard to believe he could make a living as a professional footballer if his whole career was like how he was with us.  Transfermarkt has him playing in Spanish 3rd tier now.

Cejudo couldn’t handle being kicked over all the time

8 minutes ago, mack said:

Borda was one of the worst footballers to play in the A-League, and as a foreigner that makes him doubly bad.

If only there was a way we could define just how bad Borda was...

https://www.westsydneyfootball.com/forums/topic/7776-the-madaschi-cup/#comments

8 hours ago, mack said:

Borda was one of the worst footballers to play in the A-League, and as a foreigner that makes him doubly bad.

We moved from parra to sop and signed 

Borda

Pinatatres

Jumpei

martinrez (as marquee!)

kept Dimas

for all the faults of SoP it’s no wonder we were **** 

we can have the best stadium in the league and it won’t mater much if that’s how bad you get your foreign signings wrong 

Recruitment wasn't popa's strong suit. To make things worse, as soon as he realised they were **** he completely froze them out to force them to leave. Always wondered what kind of environment that created for the other players.

22 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

We moved from parra to sop and signed 

Borda

Pinatatres

Jumpei

martinrez (as marquee!)

kept Dimas

for all the faults of SoP it’s no wonder we were **** 

we can have the best stadium in the league and it won’t mater much if that’s how bad you get your foreign signings wrong 

I liked Martinez. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think he was Marquee level, but I always felt that in the right team he would have proven to be very dangerous. If we had him now as a replacement for Rady I'd be happy, but I'm no expert.

3 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

I liked Martinez. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think he was Marquee level, but I always felt that in the right team he would have proven to be very dangerous. If we had him now as a replacement for Rady I'd be happy, but I'm no expert.

Same here.....he was good in a poor team. Marquee,,,? One of the better visa players.

4 hours ago, sonar said:

Same here.....he was good in a poor team. Marquee,,,? One of the better visa players.

He was ok but lazy like bamjo and saba 

Takahagi was another but was played out of position and could have been great given a full season, most imports struggle at first and taking up to 3months to adapt to auz conditions and the physicality of the league. But no excuse for the crap imports we dished out. Then you have a guy like Herd who is a talented but a f.. Wit that poisoned the dressing room. 

5 hours ago, Burgerman said:

He was ok but lazy like bamjo and saba 

Takahagi was another but was played out of position and could have been great given a full season, most imports struggle at first and taking up to 3months to adapt to auz conditions and the physicality of the league. But no excuse for the crap imports we dished out. Then you have a guy like Herd who is a talented but a f.. Wit that poisoned the dressing room. 

Takahagi is possibly the most enigmatic of our o/s recruits. Came in as we all remember when the Saba importation blew up in our faces & was never really up to the task. Yet he had his moments and, especially contrasted to Jumpei, was arguably more physically resilient and less of a show pony. I don't think he ever got to the standards we needed to rescue what was a shite season & a squad that was literally ground into the mud & dust by a combo of far too heavy scheduling & awful administration, management. In all honesty he was not the answer for our woes back then and was really at best a cheap and cheerful squaddie type with J-League experience.

Takahagi came to us because he couldn't find another good gig Asia after the J-League finished, so he did a half-season with us to keep match fitness up while looking for a new club to join in the Asian midseason transfer window (that begins when our off-season starts). That ended up being FC Seoul.

Schwegler would have to score 10+ goals from defensive midfield and absolutely completely dominate in midfield in almost every game. The JW Medal hasn't gone to a defender or defensive midfielder since Milan Ivanovic won it in the 2nd year it was awarded (back when Sweepers were still a thing).

40 minutes ago, mack said:

Schwegler would have to score 10+ goals from defensive midfield and absolutely completely dominate in midfield in almost every game. The JW Medal hasn't gone to a defender or defensive midfielder since Milan Ivanovic won it in the 2nd year it was awarded (back when Sweepers were still a thing).

We will return .

3 hours ago, Jefski said:

So Harps reckons Schweg will win the Warren medal and Boz reckons we'll win the GF. 

When Harper interviewed Schwegler after the cup game against SU58, he just about kissed his feet. He is yet to see AMFG. 

On 08/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, WanderingToqui said:

:help:

No news ........ ???????????

No news is good news.

I'm sure the media will be out & about seeking a story today

So.... do we think we're actively looking for an injury replacement for Rady, or waiting till Jan? Or maybe neither!

8 hours ago, mack said:

Has a keeper ever won it?  Based on early indications Lopar might be a giant this season.

9 hours ago, Jefski said:

So Harps reckons Schweg will win the Warren medal and Boz reckons we'll win the GF. 

Good old Boz'.  He still believes in us!  I think Garbie was the only other one (On podcast) who gave us any hope this season.

18 minutes ago, ZachMercer said:

So.... do we think we're actively looking for an injury replacement for Rady, or waiting till Jan? Or maybe neither!

I would hope we have some targets but the market is pretty darn stale by this point.

Jan seems likely at this point

9 hours ago, mack said:

Someone needs to bring then back into fashion, it's the defensive position to play. Mostly don't worry about marking, just swoop in all the time and look good.

1 hour ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Someone needs to bring then back into fashion, it's the defensive position to play. Mostly don't worry about marking, just swoop in all the time and look good.

Stlil fashionable in over 35s

Here's a few free agent names that fit my very loose criteria on transfer market. 

Emre Colak
Yohan Croizet
Ferhan Hasani
Ibrahim Chenihi
Oliver Buff (looks s**t but is Swiss, and we know Marcus loves a Neutral)

Or we could invert the diamond and replace Raddy with a central Mid...
James Morrison
Birkir Bjarnason
Darren Fletcher
Alvara Medran

I have it on good authority that all nine of them were seen on a Busways 728 service heading to Rooty hill, resume in hand. 

Squad lists reading like the increased bench sizes are in. Can go to 7 as long as a minimum of 3 are u23

20 hours ago, Jefski said:

Another interesting comment was made by Archie. He said, of all the AL teams, he would loved to have played for the Wanderers because of the fan base.

Bit late now Archie.

Just read that Ziegler’s citizenship is being held up due to German policies of duel citizenship and complicated red tape on their side rather than here.