Jump to content
mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Recommended Posts

Do we think it's more than 2 mill? Or that much for more than 1 year?

Hard to pass judgement unless we can narrow the speculation. 

Anyone know how much Honda was purported to cost the Vics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Posted (edited)

With the combimed perported wealth of our owners you would of thought that the interest these guys earn on their money would pay for Ribery. I think the owners are missing out on an enormous opportunity to grow the the club at a local and international level. I wonder what the yearly advertising budgets of the companies they own is worth. ? FFS Clive Palmer just spent $50M+ on advertising in 8 weeks for what.?

The free media advertising ( by way of stories ) here and overseas would be worth well in excess of what they are not willing to pay. I think it is extremely short sighted. Have to feel for Babbel. He knows what is needed. The club doesn't want to give him the machinery to do the job properly....Pio MKII incoming......lol

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2019 at 10:24 PM, mack said:

He hasn't re-signed yet and their cap situation must be damn near full.

They have a salary cap situation? That’s the first I’ve heard of that...

Current Perth salary cap situation

BE7DEA9E-8596-46A0-B068-67B264F97724.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sonar said:

With the combimed perported wealth of our owners you would of thought that the interest these guys earn on their money would pay for Ribery. I think the owners are missing out on an enormous opportunity to grow the the club at a local and international level. I wonder what the yearly advertising budgets of the companies they own is worth. ? FFS Clive Palmer just spent $50M+ on advertising in 8 weeks for what.?

The free media advertising ( by way of stories ) here and overseas would be worth well in excess of what they are not willing to pay. I think it is extremely short sighted. Have to feel for Babbel. He knows what is needed. The club doesn't want to give him the machinery to do the job properly....Pio MKII incoming......lol

 

3 hours ago, FCB said:

MB as quoted in the German media just now: " "Ich hatte ein längeres Gespräch mit unserem Chairman und er ist leider nicht bereit, so tief in die Tasche zu greifen". My translation: "I had a long talk with our chairman, and unfortunately he is not prepared to put his hands into his pockets so deeply [to finance Ribery]". 

The dream stops here, we need to look elsewhere.

The league is not in a position which fosters these sorts of investments. To say that the owners aren’t willing to spend there own money is a bit disingenuous as a fair bit of money has been invested into the club. A player like this is exactly the sugar hit the league needs to bring the casual fan back to the game but until the league becomes independent I can’t see the club owners willing to make any big investments.

The other issue? We can’t compete with oil money, whatever our best offer they can not only double but probably triple it. It’s not that the owners aren’t willing to invest but can’t compete with other Asian countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting how people here are willing to spend other people's money. And not just in moderation, but big time.

Schweinsteiger is paid more than 5 million per season at Chicago. Not Aussie dollars, not US dollars, but Euro. His old buddy Ribery can easily demand this kind of money, and in Istanbul, Qatar or UAE they can cough it up easily. But Paul Lederer is smart enough to know that he will always be outgunned in a bidding war.

Lederer also knows that European players don't come to Australia for the money. It's a **** league for away from everything. The only chance for WSW to sign Ribery is if his family situation has enough weight. He needs to want to come, and he needs to accept a financial haircut.

Babbel, Kurz, Broich, Ziegler, Schwegler - they only signed HAL contracts because of personal reasons that mattered more than buckeroos. Apparently that's not the case with Ribery.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

 

The league is not in a position which fosters these sorts of investments. To say that the owners aren’t willing to spend there own money is a bit disingenuous as a fair bit of money has been invested into the club. A player like this is exactly the sugar hit the league needs to bring the casual fan back to the game but until the league becomes independent I can’t see the club owners willing to make any big investments.

The other issue? We can’t compete with oil money, whatever our best offer they can not only double but probably triple it. It’s not that the owners aren’t willing to invest but can’t compete with other Asian countries.

I understand where you are coming from but the flip side is that the club ( and the FFA ) wants members to put their hands in their pockets to support mediocrity.  Mediocrity in playing rosters,mediocrity on the field, mediocrity in officialdom,mediocrity in fan treatment. Our past three seasons are proof enough of that. I get that we have to compete against multi billionaires and our club has invested in infrastructure such as an academy and training facilities. We had Honda as marquee for Victory last season and the crowds fell across the league.

Perhaps the clubs needs to do what the AFL does and get a govt rep to go and get handouts for facilities or marquees who can be used for tourism advertising. They need to do something because if they don't the A League will never progress beyond a backwater/stepping stone league. If WSW have a season similar to the last three many people will not put their hands into their pockets or have second thoughts about doing it.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sonar said:

With the combimed perported wealth of our owners you would of thought that the interest these guys earn on their money would pay for Ribery. I think the owners are missing out on an enormous opportunity to grow the the club at a local and international level. I wonder what the yearly advertising budgets of the companies they own is worth. ? FFS Clive Palmer just spent $50M+ on advertising in 8 weeks for what.?

The free media advertising ( by way of stories ) here and overseas would be worth well in excess of what they are not willing to pay. I think it is extremely short sighted. Have to feel for Babbel. He knows what is needed. The club doesn't want to give him the machinery to do the job properly....Pio MKII incoming......lol

If we coughed up the money Ribery would come. The majority of players of his stature even if we dug deep and made an offer will still avoid here and go to USA, Middle East or China, even with the Babbel influence. Half the battle was won, getting them to look this way, and so a big missed opportunity. I have always said in the past that I don't see WSW as a big name player marquee club, but that was before the last three years. We so need a big boost and the new stadium feel goods will only last so long.

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BRW lists Lederer at number 70 with A$1.31 billion. He can afford it if he wants but at the same time, I don't think its sensible for us to ask him to hand over tens of millions per year. I want them to but I don't expect the owners to be forking out ridiculous amounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Burztur said:

BRW lists Lederer at number 70 with A$1.31 billion. He can afford it if he wants but at the same time, I don't think its sensible for us to ask him to hand over tens of millions per year. I want them to but I don't expect the owners to be forking out ridiculous amounts.

Then they shouldn't be in the business of running a football club. Steve Gibson who has been chairman of the Boro since the early 90's has put on hundreds of millions of his own cash, he pumps it in every year. He is a very successful business man who would have been much higher up the UK rich list but for his passion for putting in for his home town club and lifting the area, he is a ******* god on Teesside.

WSW do need to make a statement after the last 3 years, no one goes in to club ownership without knowing you need to part with stupid cash at some point to be competitive.

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous if a legend like him is actually willing to come here but we're to scummy to pay someone who will bring life to a boring comp. Must have been extremely embarrassing for Babbel to go over there reach out and them wham sorry no money. 

Fax Lederer and FFA if they don't want to help pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Burgerman said:

Ridiculous if a legend like him is actually willing to come here but we're to scummy to pay someone who will bring life to a boring comp. Must have been extremely embarrassing for Babbel to go over there reach out and them wham sorry no money. 

Fax Lederer and FFA if they don't want to help pay. 

You said it dude, “boring comp” . Only reason I watch is because of the WSW cos if we weren’t in it I wouldn’t bother watching. Love him or loath him , Del Piero brought the worlds attention to this comp, Ribery would do the same as well as carving it up on the pitch. If this league was a business I would’ve sold it 5-6 years ago when it peaked cos it’s been rapidly going down ever since. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surprised how balanced the majority of views are tbh, I was expecting much worse.

To even suggest Lederer & co. haven’t put their hand in their pocket for this club is absolutely ludicrous, but hes an easy scapegoat when their isn’t immediate success or a player is following the $$$.

Would love to have Ribery here, but not sure he makes as big as an impact on the league as people suggest. Sure us die hards would love it, but would the average punter know who he is? Similar to Honda, who I thought would of had a bigger impact. I don’t think he’s that marketable (unless he scores a hatful in the opening rounds). 

Edited by Bellby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Did anyone realistically think we were going to sign Ribery?  Pure speculation of what he would of done here and how long he would of stayed. I draw the comparison to Honda , although arguably Ribery is a better player. If he stayed for a year like Honda did what benefit do we get out of it. I'd prefer we buy two quality marquees that are late 20's or early 30's that will stay for 2 to 3 years and build a team around them. My first target would be as I've said before  Pierre-Michel Lasogga as striker.

Edited by WHACKO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t expect Lederer and co. to pump in millions if they don’t want too 

That’s why I don’t expect us to be challenging any time soon 

the Russian at syd fc is pumping money galore in and that’s why they continue to be at the top 

money doesn’t guarantee success  but not spending it will guarantee lack of it 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mack said:

We have four owners who collectively are worth easily half a billion dollars.

Lederer wrote that "we have not taken our eyes off the prize" in January 

Ribery comes up and they bottle it because they don't want to spend the year the club moves into a stadium that was built for free at a cost of $360 million dollars. That's money that the owners don't have to pay. Almost any other country in the world if a club wants a stadium the owners have to pay for it. Here, the Government did it.

Especially after 3 seasons of utter **** on the pitch, and the one before that ended in a choke where we didn't win anything, you'd think the owners would jump at the chance to fill the stadium and sign a player who could win games on his own.

Yet here we are watching high class players sail over our heads so that Lederer can sit in the executive box and count the membership money instead of investing like an owner should. If Lederer owned a club in Europe and did what he's done to WSW by being cheap and refusing to open his chequebook they'd have been relegated multiple times already.

Lederer talks and talks and talks and talks and uses "we built an academy" as an excuse for not signing good players.

If he and the owners don't like being called cheap they can open up their musty wallets and show some ambition. Or sell the club to someone who does.

Let's not lose perspective in this ribery frenzy. He would cost somewhere between 5-10 million Aussie bucks per season. That's a lot of money for a 36 year old, regardless of how good and exciting he is.

Castelen was an injury prone BL bench player who cost maybe 500k per season, and despite his short comings he was able to put the fear of good into opposing defenders.

2-4 million gets you a Hunt AND a Lassoga - if they want to come. That's a much more realistic and value for money proposition, and that's what I am hoping for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FCB said:

Let's not lose perspective in this ribery frenzy. He would cost somewhere between 5-10 million Aussie bucks per season. That's a lot of money for a 36 year old, regardless of how good and exciting he is.

Castelen was an injury prone BL bench player who cost maybe 500k per season, and despite his short comings he was able to put the fear of good into opposing defenders.

2-4 million gets you a Hunt AND a Lassoga - if they want to come. That's a much more realistic and value for money proposition, and that's what I am hoping for.  

I disagree.  Millionaires (billionaires) buy clubs as their little play toy. If they aren't prepared to sometimes spend some money on players for the success of the club, what's the point in owning the club? It's all risk based, and Ribery would be a risk at the $ he may be asking for. On the other hand, the financial benefit from merchandise, increased game day sales, world wide exposure etc... they could get a lot (but maybe not all) of that money back. Just look at Del Piero and the MASSIVE amount of national and world wide attention this signing garnered.

I'm not saying that Ribery is in this instance, the answer, but our club has to look a bit bigger than what it is. 

It's amusing that when the FFA owned the club, we actually were able to purchase players that were up to the task.

Since we have been bought out by our private owners, it has been the same old complaint from fans re our international purchases. And rightly so. Not even using all our foreign and marquee spots tells us where they are at. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mack said:

We have four owners who collectively are worth easily half a billion dollars.

Lederer wrote that "we have not taken our eyes off the prize" in January 

Ribery comes up and they bottle it because they don't want to spend the year the club moves into a stadium that was built for free at a cost of $360 million dollars. That's money that the owners don't have to pay. Almost any other country in the world if a club wants a stadium the owners have to pay for it. Here, the Government did it.

Especially after 3 seasons of utter **** on the pitch, and the one before that ended in a choke where we didn't win anything, you'd think the owners would jump at the chance to fill the stadium and sign a player who could win games on his own.

Yet here we are watching high class players sail over our heads so that Lederer can sit in the executive box and count the membership money instead of investing like an owner should. If Lederer owned a club in Europe and did what he's done to WSW by being cheap and refusing to open his chequebook they'd have been relegated multiple times already.

Lederer talks and talks and talks and talks and uses "we built an academy" as an excuse for not signing good players.

If he and the owners don't like being called cheap they can open up their musty wallets and show some ambition. Or sell the club to someone who does.

 

4 hours ago, mack said:

Yet here we are watching high class players sail over our heads so that Lederer can sit in the executive box and count the membership money instead of investing like an owner should. If Lederer owned a club in Europe and did what he's done to WSW by being cheap and refusing to open his chequebook they'd have been relegated multiple times already.

Well said, especially the paragraph above. I'm an Ipswich town fan and that's exactly what's happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the average punter doesn’t know who Ribery is, that’s what a TV campaign is for where you show pictures with him with the Champions League or skinning defenders or scoring worldies 

Tbh hardest bit of that would be figuring what highlights to choose in the 30 second spot

Personally it’s disappointing we didn’t even try and looks like we’ve just gone nah too expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Lederer = Mike Ashley.

Lederer = Marcus Evans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jefski said:

Lederer = Marcus Evans

Well then.....

 

Lederer = Marcus Evans = Mike Ashley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Erimus said:

Then they shouldn't be in the business of running a football club. Steve Gibson who has been chairman of the Boro since the early 90's has put on hundreds of millions of his own cash, he pumps it in every year. He is a very successful business man who would have been much higher up the UK rich list but for his passion for putting in for his home town club and lifting the area, he is a ******* god on Teesside.

WSW do need to make a statement after the last 3 years, no one goes in to club ownership without knowing you need to part with stupid cash at some point to be competitive.

That's fair enough. As I said, I want him to but if he wasn't going to prop up the club, then who will? That's why I'm 50-50 on it. The owners do need to splash the cash to make a statement but it's hard for the fans to compel them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

I disagree.  Millionaires (billionaires) buy clubs as their little play toy. If they aren't prepared to sometimes spend some money on players for the success of the club, what's the point in owning the club? It's all risk based, and Ribery would be a risk at the $ he may be asking for. On the other hand, the financial benefit from merchandise, increased game day sales, world wide exposure etc... they could get a lot (but maybe not all) of that money back. Just look at Del Piero and the MASSIVE amount of national and world wide attention this signing garnered.

 I'm not saying that Ribery is in this instance, the answer, but our club has to look a bit bigger than what it is. 

 It's amusing that when the FFA owned the club, we actually were able to purchase players that were up to the task.

Since we have been bought out by our private owners, it has been the same old complaint from fans re our international purchases. And rightly so. Not even using all our foreign and marquee spots tells us where they are at. 

 

We were blessed with getting players on the cheap during our first seasons. There was also an aura of energy and mystery around the club. When we talk about the Poznan being a goal magnet, I genuinely believe opposition players were shocked by it and had to refocus, giving our guys that momentary edge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’d prefer a sustainable club AND a sustainable league, not a club where the owners piss their money against the wall for the amusement of the hordes in the stands, which would likely see the league go down in flames sooner rather than later, too.

Some commitment on the pitch, and some skilled players with the odd foreign surprise packet, and I will be happy with the squad.

Edited by Generator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I don’t expect Lederer and co. to pump in millions if they don’t want too 

That’s why I don’t expect us to be challenging any time soon 

the Russian at syd fc is pumping money galore in and that’s why they continue to be at the top 

money doesn’t guarantee success  but not spending it will guarantee lack of it 

 

I know this goes against the narrative but this simply isn’t true. We spent an almost identical amount in the season with Cejudo and Riera. It’s like when the FB mouth breathers bang on about people going to City for money - it’s a capped league, everyone is paying within a very slim bracket. 2 people in the team are paid over odds, that’s it, the other 2.5ish is press across 21 players.

When you factor in our academy, Lederer has spent significantly more.

We’ve been at the bottom for 3 years because of piss poor recruiting, a coach that bundied on us the week before round one, a dud replacement, then his **** recruitment being forced on Babbel.

If we seriously believe that the difference between 3 premierships and 3 missed finals is a single marquee slot, then it should be a simply solve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Generator said:

I’d prefer a sustainable club AND a sustainable league, not a club where the owners piss their money against the wall for the amusement of the hordes in the stands, which would likely see the league go down in flames sooner rather than later, too.

Some commitment on the pitch, and some skilled players with the odd foreign surprise packet, and I will be happy with the squad.

Where I agree with you whole heartedly, I also feel that deep down many just want a reward for all the crap seasons. I think the thought of a big name that we could call our own would help ease some of the fears of another potentially dire season, and inject a little of that f you that the club has lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I know this goes against the narrative but this simply isn’t true. We spent an almost identical amount in the season with Cejudo and Riera. It’s like when the FB mouth breathers bang on about people going to City for money - it’s a capped league, everyone is paying within a very slim bracket. 2 people in the team are paid over odds, that’s it, the other 2.5ish is press across 21 players.

When you factor in our academy, Lederer has spent significantly more.

We’ve been at the bottom for 3 years because of piss poor recruiting, a coach that bundied on us the week before round one, a dud replacement, then his **** recruitment being forced on Babbel.

If we seriously believe that the difference between 3 premierships and 3 missed finals is a single marquee slot, then it should be a simply solve

We spent money 1 out of the last 3 seasons.

we had a chance moving to SOP to grow the club instead we sign Borda, Pinatares, Jumpei and no marquees and unsurprisingly get bummed 5-0 by our neighbors in front of 60000

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...