Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Roy was suspended for quite a few games and still finished this season with 11 goals in 19 games. More than Riera with 5+ more games. And he is a striker I believe players fear, kinda like Santalab, has some mongrel in him and has the mentality to win games, the mentality Babbel wants I think. If he becomes Aussie he would be a great pickup imo. 

He is a step up from Duke (no disrespect to Duke), you know he will get stuck in and get you goals, and yes he is a Santa type. He fits the kind of WSW profile when I think about what we want regarding work ethic and commitment, I don't mind a player that have a red card or two in them...

Edited by Smoggy
50 minutes ago, Taurus said:

That's what 'they' say.

These 2 names were mentioned to me y'day, via social media types in the know

Pirmin Schwegler

Daniel Baier

Both are DMs with contracts till Jun 2020.

If O'Donovan does something stupid again he'll get banned for half the season. The only dumb things he hasn't done on a football pitch yet are punch a ref or bite someone.

I can't understand how after all the talk from Babbel, JT and Lederer about making a statement, no more failure, we need mentality etc they'd seriously turn around and immediately pop that balloon by wasting a visa spot on such a dreadfully mediocre one note goal poacher. How does our scouting department and Babbel not have a real target to lead the line?

Newcastle wanted to re-sign him but have since withdrawn their offer. Sounds like he kept stalling and pushing up his wage demands presumably with Brisbane and apparently us sending offers through as well eventually to the point Newcastle said screw it and dropped him. Do we want a player like that?

The teams we need to beat are Sydney FC, Victory & Perth Glory. He scored 0 goals against them this year in the league. Last year against Sydney FC in his only game he got red carded after 14 minutes for punching one of them and in the grand final he got sent off for kicking Thomas in the head. His only goal last year against them was against Perth, 1 goal which was a tap-in scored more by the assist across the 6 yard box than the shot.

I hope we sign him, he has a good scoring record and is a hard worker.  Sure he has a bit of **** in him but all the good ones do. That challenge that got him suspended for plenty was the type of desperation I want from players who play here.  It was a GF and he was busting his backside to get a result for the Jets, last few minutes 2-1 down you go for that, sure it was high, it was reckless but he never set out to hit Lawrence, how it got 10 weeks I will never know when you compare it to others. FFS Victory coaching staff ran on the pitch and hit a player and got 4 weeks, Muscat deliberately tried to break someones leg and got 8 !!

Edited by scarcev

Just what we need another player with too much motivation....Baccus Jnr  has issues with yellow and reds...O'Donovan and him sent sent off in the same game....I'd put money on that.:ninja:

Edited by sonar
1 hour ago, mack said:

If O'Donovan does something stupid again he'll get banned for half the season. The only dumb things he hasn't done on a football pitch yet are punch a ref or bite someone.

I can't understand how after all the talk from Babbel, JT and Lederer about making a statement, no more failure, we need mentality etc they'd seriously turn around and immediately pop that balloon by wasting a visa spot on such a dreadfully mediocre one note goal poacher. How does our scouting department and Babbel not have a real target to lead the line?

Newcastle wanted to re-sign him but have since withdrawn their offer. Sounds like he kept stalling and pushing up his wage demands presumably with Brisbane and apparently us sending offers through as well eventually to the point Newcastle said screw it and dropped him. Do we want a player like that?

The teams we need to beat are Sydney FC, Victory & Perth Glory. He scored 0 goals against them this year or last year in the league. Last year against Sydney FC in his only game he got red carded after 14 minutes for punching one of them and in the grand final he got sent off for kicking Thomas in the head. Against Perth, 1 goal which was a tap-in scored more by the assist across the 6 yard box than the shot.

Everything you say makes sense but..

if roy is an in cap striker and we can get 2 marquees of some quality then I’d probably take him . 

Having said that if he’s on 500k it makes the rest of the salary cap tricky .

where are the quality Aussie players that Babel is keen to sign and how much will they cost ? 

2 hours ago, Taurus said:

"The money side was more or less agreed," the 33-year-old said. "I was pretty firm that I wanted to stay long term. I have bought a house in the area, my child goes to daycare here, my wife is happy. The money side of things went up, but I lost the second year. The human side to it was that I didn't want to go anywhere."

This does make it sound like he'd prefer to stay near Newcastle than go to Brisbane. He's looking for a multi-year deal rather than more money and looks like he was happy to go with a 1+1 deal based on goals, which seems fair to me. If we've offered him a deal as suggested by Goal it could be for less than 500k but a 1+1 or 2yr deal...

10 hours ago, Taurus said:

That's what 'they' say.

These 2 names were mentioned to me y'day, via social media types in the know

Pirmin Schwegler

Daniel Baier

Baier - highly unlikely. He is Augsburg's captain, and renewed his contract earlier this year.

Schwegler - more likely. Used to be captain at Frankfurt. Hannover is going to be relegated, and he is bound to have an exit clause in his contract.

Needless to say, either of them would be an asset. They are leaders, hardened and established professionals with more than 250 BL each. Very different to anything we've seen in the HAL so far, very different to the track records of Ninkovic, Fornaroli, Andreu, Isaias.

Also: Critiquing or criticizing a RoD rumor seems a  bit pre-mature. Right now we don't know if there are changes to the cap, if imports are excluded from the cap etc. We also don't know which of the eligible imports have or are going to apply for permanent residence/AUS citizenship.

Saying that: RoD is the kind of CF a CB doesn't want to play against. He has something that you can't learn or develop.

1 hour ago, Westiesarebesties said:

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/npl-transfer-radar-wolves-star-attracts-a-league-interest-524723

Think it would be worth investing in a back up striker from npl, or would they be expecting more than we should be putting aside for that?

Does he have an Australian passport? Need to see more than 8 rounds of footy before giving him a plug at a squad spot.

We definitely need a back up striker though.

41 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Does he have an Australian passport? Need to see more than 8 rounds of footy before giving him a plug at a squad spot.

We definitely need a back up striker though.

Only his third season in Australia. Still 2 years off. Plus he wants more than $500k.

Rather a quality striker with Mo Adam as back-up.

4 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

Yeah I missed that when I scanned the article over, just assumed he was an overlooked Aussie playing in the NPL. Sounds like it would be a waste of a visa really then.

Don't think it's in the article. His name came up on my footy linkedin circles with his agent a few times whilst he was in Canberra. Sounds like he's a good player with very little drive, hence why he's not playing 4th tier in England

RoD has a good scoring rate but he is also a loose cannon with a known suspension record with Mariners and with Jets. Can you justify having him as a marquee or as your main striker when he disappears for half the season, because of a random brain snap. Newcastle paid for that suspension in the first 8 weeks of the season and it cost them a finals place. There is too much risk we need someone more mature.

As much as we need more stability in defence, you don't need marquees in defence. 1 playmaking attacking mid who actually knows how to score and create at the same time and a 15+ goal a season striker. Those are our marquees. Because those will cost the most. The other three visa slots can go (assuming Ziggy gets his citizenship confirmed) a central defender, central midfielder to play alongside Baccus and our Marquee AMC, and then either a fullback, winger or goalkeeper depending on what's out there.

A 10 goal a season striker who keeps getting suspended and is getting old, is not a marquee and not someone we should be looking at under the cap.

16 hours ago, mack said:

The teams we need to beat are Sydney FC, Victory & Perth Glory. He scored 0 goals against them this year in the league. Last year against Sydney FC in his only game he got red carded after 14 minutes for punching one of them and in the grand final he got sent off for kicking Thomas in the head. His only goal last year against them was against Perth, 1 goal which was a tap-in scored more by the assist across the 6 yard box than the shot.

Granted, he does have a bit of a temper but you can't categorise that GF moment as a disciplinary issue. His foot was high but it was the dying moments of a GF in which they were a goal down and he just tried to throw his body at the ball - it was dangerous play, nothing intentional though. If he did that for WSW we'd be adopting him as a westie and going on about he's giving his all for the shirt etc.. lol The red card was justified but I thought the suspension on top of that was a typical FFA overreaction tbh. 

Considering that he played for the Mariner's during the start of their demise and then for the Jet's who've been underwhelming, with the exception of last season, his scoring record is actually pretty impressive. He strikes me as being the sort of player who would thrive at a big, confident and well supported club. So what if he is a poacher? If he scores goals I don't care how he does it. You could argue that Berisha poached most of his goals...

I don't see him being any more of a waste of a visa spot than someone like Roly and at least you know what you'll be getting with Roy, specific to the A-League, which is more than you can say for a brand new foreigner coming in. It also still leaves us with 3 foreign and 2 marquee spots to bring into the squad.  

MB will want to fix the defence, we've been leaking way too many goals, that's were the focus will be. If a RoD becomes available then, in a capped league, the club needs to look at him. He'd cost less than half of Riera's salary, and has demonstrated a better strike rate. Put a commanding AM behind and the goals will come, especially with the brand of football we've been playing. 

51 minutes ago, mack said:

As much as we need more stability in defence, you don't need marquees in defence. 1 playmaking attacking mid who actually knows how to score and create at the same time and a 15+ goal a season striker. Those are our marquees. Because those will cost the most. The other three visa slots can go (assuming Ziggy gets his citizenship confirmed) a central defender, central midfielder to play alongside Baccus and our Marquee AMC, and then either a fullback, winger or goalkeeper depending on what's out there.

A 10 goal a season striker who keeps getting suspended and is getting old, is not a marquee and not someone we should be looking at under the cap.

A striker that scores a goal every 180 minutes on the park and gets sent off twice in 4 home and away seasons isn't too bad a pick up.  Those figures would likely have been better if he didn't spend 8 weeks on the sideline with a groin injury which is more of a worry to me.

The blokes that get 15+ goals a season generally get good service which is not something he would have received at Mariners and he wouldn't receive with us with this years squad.  We need above all things a very strong spine from keeper up and good wide players in my view and so long as we have a competent striker that will be enough

1 hour ago, FCB said:

MB will want to fix the defence, we've been leaking way too many goals, that's were the focus will be. If a RoD becomes available then, in a capped league, the club needs to look at him. He'd cost less than half of Riera's salary, and has demonstrated a better strike rate. Put a commanding AM behind and the goals will come, especially with the brand of football we've been playing. 

The nature of the AL makes looking at players like RoD a necessity, as much as some might not like it.

Would i be devestated if he went elsewhere, probably not no. But players who can stick the ball in the net AND know what the AL is all about isnt bad is it. 

Or we go with the the usual Euro journeyman striker from the 2nd or 3rd tier who has had 20 clubs but looks ******* awesome on youtube...even Babbel's name wont save us from that.

If our $500 million valued owner and his three amigos can't be bothered investing in two top class marquees this season of all seasons what are they doing? This is a massive season for the club, we're also going into a potential new league format where we're going to need to pull crowds to make money to compete with the actual billionaires that own CFG & SFC plus Victory.

My worry is that O'Donovan gets into a game where we're 1-0 down, maybe it's against Victory away in Round 2, maybe it's the classic Derby in Round 3 and he gets angry and frustrated and does one of his mega brainsnaps and gets whacked out for 15 games or longer because he's already had two massive suspensions.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic