mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

1 hour ago, Bellby said:

I agree he is an average A League player, who is claiming he's not? 90% of a squad is made up of average A League players, like any other club or any sport for that matter. The kid literally got 120mins of football this year & the couple of times we looked decent at the start of the year - eg. Mudgee - he was in the thick of it. Then got shafted for the rest of the year. 

@FCB I appreciate your loyalty to all things MB, but that's just complete rubbish. 

It’s not garbage. He had bucket loads of talent and absolutely no drive to improve. He’s not young enough to lean on that any more. He’s now been frozen out 2 clubs in a row. Let’s see if Merrick does the same. 

I suspect he’ll be headed for Indonesia in 12 months

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

It’s not garbage. He had bucket loads of talent and absolutely no drive to improve. He’s not young enough to lean on that any more. He’s now been frozen out 2 clubs in a row. Let’s see if Merrick does the same. 

I suspect he’ll be headed for Indonesia in 12 months

I have genuinely never heard anything remotely like this nor heard anyone/coaches/players question his work ethic. Granted I have nothing to do with anyone on a coaching level at the Wanderers, but I'd be surprised if he had done a complete 180 in the space of 6 months. 

He wasn't frozen out of City, just preferred to sign here rather than stay. 

Anyway, pointless argument anyway, he's gone now.  I'm sure I'll find another player I like who I can argue with people about! 

Edited by Bellby

1 hour ago, Bellby said:

I agree he is an average A League player, who is claiming he's not? 90% of a squad is made up of average A League players, like any other club or any sport for that matter. The kid literally got 120mins of football this year & the couple of times we looked decent at the start of the year - eg. Mudgee - he was in the thick of it. Then got shafted for the rest of the year. 

@FCB I appreciate your loyalty to all things MB, but that's just complete rubbish. 

MB stressed that the team needed to defend as a pack. In pre season one of the players suggested that he doesn't work that way, that he considers himself a "creative" player instead. MB pointed out to that player that he is letting the team down.

In Mudgee, at the beginning of second half, fitzgerald doesn't cover his side, and the roar scores the equaliser. MB takes Fitzgerald off almost immediately. Majok plays the following week, and beyond. 

Fitzgerald may look decent up front, but he doesn't get the balance right. That's why he didn't play much, but majok and sotirio got more game time. He is a HAL bench player, someone who doesn't help much, and that's why he is gone. Which is complete rubbish, of course. 

Looked to me like he was the designated midfield scapegoat for the awful first half of the season because Babbel didn't want to put the blame where it should have been on Baumjohann (which is understandable since he was a high paid foreign player who was almost un-droppable because of the potential he had).

Longest match was against Wellington when he came on after 6 minutes because Baumjohann got crocked. Baumjohann, Fitzgerald & Mahazi all gone now and O'Doherty out for another 6 months.

Doesn't really matter now though especially if we use the cap space to improve the first team. The Jets don't have any cash to splash any more because of the Trump trade war so I imagine he'll be a solid central midfielder for them but they have no hope of getting into the top 4.

Babbel got Schewegler, Majewski and Baccus as the first 11 midfield for now. If the midfield collapses again this year it'll be on Babbel.

In Mudgee, at the beginning of second half, fitzgerald doesn't cover his side, and the roar scores the equaliser. MB takes Fitzgerald off almost immediately. Majok plays the following week, and beyond. 

Fitzgerald got isolated & beaten in a 2 on 1 because the left fullback was nowhere to be seen then Baumjohann gave away a stupid penalty.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, FCB said:

MB stressed that the team needed to defend as a pack. In pre season one of the players suggested that he doesn't work that way, that he considers himself a "creative" player instead. MB pointed out to that player that he is letting the team down.

In Mudgee, at the beginning of second half, fitzgerald doesn't cover his side, and the roar scores the equaliser. MB takes Fitzgerald off almost immediately. Majok plays the following week, and beyond. 

Fitzgerald may look decent up front, but he doesn't get the balance right. That's why he didn't play much, but majok and sotirio got more game time. He is a HAL bench player, someone who doesn't help much, and that's why he is gone. Which is complete rubbish, of course. 

In Mudgee, Fitzgerald also broke open the game with an assist (probably a better ball then ABJ produced all year) & was also involved in the 2nd goal. Easy to be selective with these things. 

& let's not start insinuating certain players said this & that at training just to make them look like the bad guy.  

Edited by Bellby

4 hours ago, Bellby said:

Kid was ridiculously messed around by the club & coaches. Hope he kills it wherever he ends up, great kid & decent player. 

I don't want to alarm you, however that kid is 27 y.o.

He's had ample opportunity to make a go of it at CCM, Heart or us. 

Jets or Phoenix his only options, but in reality, B'Town Spartans is his level   

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Taurus said:

I don't want to alarm you, however that kid is 27 y.o.

He's had ample opportunity to make a go of it at CCM, Heart or us. 

Jets or Phoenix his only options, but in reality, B'Town Spartans is his level   

Mate a 35 year old can be a kid to me. 

If that's his level he's made a decent career out of it then, I just don't think he got a fair crack here for whatever reason & that's all I mentioned. Many would agree with me, some like yourself wouldn't. 

Edited by Bellby

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Bellby said:

If that's his level he's made a decent career out of it then, I just don't think he got a fair crack here for whatever reason & that's all I mentioned. Many would agree with me, some like yourself wouldn't. 

He’s played over 170 a League games across 4 clubs, If that isn’t a fair crack at the A League I don’t know what is

sorry I see you meant with us

if he’s good enough another club will take him on

Id rather are us bring thru a player with potential

Edited by StringerBellend

2 hours ago, Bellby said:

I have genuinely never heard anything remotely like this nor heard anyone/coaches/players question his work ethic. Granted I have nothing to do with anyone on a coaching level at the Wanderers, but I'd be surprised if he had done a complete 180 in the space of 6 months. 

He wasn't frozen out of City, just preferred to sign here rather than stay. 

Anyway, pointless argument anyway, he's gone now.  I'm sure I'll find another player I like who I can argue with people about! 

I like the guy. Very dangerous going forward at this level. But he’s always lacked consistency and effort off the ball.

Both Fitz and kamau were frozen out at city before January of their last season

Come jump on the Kwame train with me mate!!

2 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I like the guy. Very dangerous going forward at this level. But he’s always lacked consistency and effort off the ball.

...And end product 

for a bog standard a league player effort on and off the ball should be a given 

Bellby is right though, dude is gone. On to doing productive things... anyone got any YouTube highlights of this sh/it tier effnic bloke, Jedinak?

4 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Bellby is right though, dude is gone. On to doing productive things... anyone got any YouTube highlights of this sh/it tier effnic bloke, Jedinak?

Some of his efforts in the WC qualifiers left a lot to be desired. Not too sure if he would last a full season in the heat. Wait and see if we sign him I suppose.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/06/jh-aston-villas-mile-jedinak-ridiculed-on-twitter/

......"Jedinak was deployed in a customary deep-lying midfield role for Australia in their 2018 World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia.

Jedinak, whose domestic season with Aston Villa has been a hugely disappointing one so far, may have been hoping that the game at King Abdullah Sport City, Jeddah, would act as a perfect opportunity to find some much needed individual form and put his Championship toils behind him.

Stats from the match show that Mile Jedinak completed the game, took a total of 60 touches, had no shots on target, created a solitary chance for his teammates and was booked in the 23rd minute."............

Jedi didn’t get as much game time as he’d probably have liked but when he was on the pitch, we were a better side defensively. He would have comfortably managed another Prem season. If he does head to Rooty Hill then that will do very nicely. 

16 minutes ago, sonar said:

Some of his efforts in the WC qualifiers left a lot to be desired. Not too sure if he would last a full season in the heat. Wait and see if we sign him I suppose.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/10/06/jh-aston-villas-mile-jedinak-ridiculed-on-twitter/

......"Jedinak was deployed in a customary deep-lying midfield role for Australia in their 2018 World Cup qualifier against Saudi Arabia.

Jedinak, whose domestic season with Aston Villa has been a hugely disappointing one so far, may have been hoping that the game at King Abdullah Sport City, Jeddah, would act as a perfect opportunity to find some much needed individual form and put his Championship toils behind him.

Stats from the match show that Mile Jedinak completed the game, took a total of 60 touches, had no shots on target, created a solitary chance for his teammates and was booked in the 23rd minute."............

All good points. However he knows what he’s getting into with the heat. And assuming he’s deployed at CB, he’ll have a bit less running. Also using him at CB means we can sign a foreign striker. Then Alex Grant (or similar) would then be massive as he can start at LB and rid ourselves of more defensive woes. Add an Antonis/Brattan type signing and suddenly silverware is a real outcome

1 hour ago, mack said:

I'd still rather throw a 2 or 3 year deal at Spira than a 1 year deal before Jedinak leaves to become Macarthurs marquee assuming he doesn't break down.

Absolutely agree, similar in he’s very comfortable a bit higher up the park too if we need coverage for Schwegler or Best Baccus. Just not confident we can pry him loose from Popas grip

1 minute ago, Upthehill said:

Absolutely agree, similar in he’s very comfortable a bit higher up the park too if we need coverage for Schwegler or Best Baccus. Just not confident we can pry him loose from Popas grip

I love the way Lucy Zelic says his name 

2 hours ago, Upthehill said:

Come jump on the Kwame train with me mate!!

Sorry for dragging this on but Kamau was frozen out (because they found out he signed here) but Fitzgerald was offered an extension. I had a couple of decent contacts at City & this is probably the first & only time In my life I’ve used their info cos surprisingly absolutely no one in Sydney (or Australia) gives a **** about which Championship player Joyce was trying to sign next!

@StringerBellend I agree with you to an extent, I just think he was a good cog in the machine type player (to go with the young potential players & marquees) who seemed to be made the scapegoat pretty early on while other players of lesser ability (imo) got considerable time. Anyway, onwards. 

8 hours ago, Bellby said:

Btw, do I look like a spring chicken?

NF did well to play nearly 400 mins & figured in plenty of trial games for us.

The coaching staff lost faith in him & youngsters were given game time in preference, partially because they followed instructions

I hope he kicks on, but I don't think he has any upside left. 

5 hours ago, Upthehill said:

All good points. However he knows what he’s getting into with the heat. And assuming he’s deployed at CB, he’ll have a bit less running. Also using him at CB means we can sign a foreign striker. Then Alex Grant (or similar) would then be massive as he can start at LB and rid ourselves of more defensive woes. Add an Antonis/Brattan type signing and suddenly silverware is a real outcome

A back 3 will Tass & a healthy Aussie Pat on either side of the beard, sounds acceptable

3 hours ago, Taurus said:

The coaching staff lost faith in him & youngsters were given game time in preference, partially because they followed instructions

Popa did the same when players failed to follow instructions and were given the "treatment". 

Treejack is gone for the same reason but as he was a MB signing still got game time. 

12 hours ago, mack said:

I'd still rather throw a 2 or 3 year deal at Spira than a 1 year deal before Jedinak leaves to become Macarthurs marquee assuming he doesn't break down.

If we sign Jedi on a 2 year deal, the Macarthur Fraudsters, correction Developers, will have their signing strategy up s*** creek.

Agree on Spira but why can't we get both?

6 hours ago, Taurus said:

a healthy Aussie Pat

Any update on his recovery?

15 hours ago, Bellby said:

In Mudgee, Fitzgerald also broke open the game with an assist (probably a better ball then ABJ produced all year) & was also involved in the 2nd goal. Easy to be selective with these things. 

& let's not start insinuating certain players said this & that at training just to make them look like the bad guy.  

I agree, let's not, I can think of at least two other players who could have displayed that kind of attitude.

Mudgee was not the reason why Fitzgerald found himself on the outer, but it was a clear sign that something didn't gel between him and the coaching group. But that's water under the bridge now.

36 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Any update on his recovery?

Fit and healthy, arriving in Sydney tomorrow.

12 hours ago, mack said:

Mile is 10 days older than Alex Wilkinson. I doubt that a physical collapse is imminent with either of them.

Give Jedinak whatever he wants. Christ even if he did nothing all season he’d still be more imposing than the midget midfield we have currently...

41 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Give Jedinak whatever he wants. Christ even if he did nothing all season he’d still be more imposing than the midget midfield we have currently...

Totally agree.

We've failed miserably attracting or holding on to good Aussie players. Instead a revolving door for the mediocre was established. Of the 12 local players that departed in the last six months three are now at ccm, two at united, one at jets, one is in the NPL, one to the Nix, one retired, and three are still without a new employer. None went overseas, none went to an ambitious club. Says it all, really. 

That we signed Duke and Yeboah is a clear sign that something is changing. Mile would be a major upgrade on the pitch, the training ground, the locker room, and as a face for the media.