Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

15 minutes ago, mack said:

He also isn't a fan of flying.

https://www.dw.com/en/fear-of-flying-grounds-hamburg-strikers-soccer-career/a-5216622

What a peak A-League signing that would be.

From the above article

'Even in the company of family members armed with tranquilizers, Guerrero was not able to get on a flight. The striker is now in therapy to help combat his inability to board a plane. It may turn out that it's not a fear of flying nor gastritis that are keeping him in Peru but a nasty case of Germanophobia - the fear of Germany and its culture… '

Guerrero was a gun striker when we arrived at Bayern. Unfortunately he is old enough to remember playing in munich's olympic stadium. That was 14 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, FCB said:

Guerrero was a gun striker when we arrived at Bayern. Unfortunately he is old enough to remember playing in munich's olympic stadium. That was 14 years ago. 

FCB. Is this guy still potent at his age, meaning is he still capable of 15+ at A League level?

14 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

well that video the club posted probably wasn't the greatest idea then

Which video?

1 hour ago, ZachMercer said:

FCB. Is this guy still potent at his age, meaning is he still capable of 15+ at A League level?

If he is made of the same material as Claudio Pizarro then the answer is probably "yes". If he is related to Cejudo then the answer will be an emphatic "no".

He is a remarkable guy though. Because of his doping ban he's hardly played any competitive matches since October 2017 - with the noteworthy exception of the 2018 WC. Returns from his ban a couple of months ago, and scores goals of if he's never been away. No doubt, he is a classy player.

O'Donovan to Roar, that's a sigh of relief.

Vujica to WU. It's a shame the club never looked at signing him. Personally, I think he is a decent player (and he is a westie too! He's from Prairiewood I believe?)

8 hours ago, FCB said:

Schwegler and Brattan in midfield as opposed to baccus snr, JoD, GG, Mahazi - that in itself is a game changer. McGowan is an upgrade from Hamill, Lopar from Snake, georgievski from llorente, majewski from treejack, Duke and Yeboah from roly and kamau/fitzgerald. An EPL grade striker would be another upgrade.  

Leeds can come. 

Yet to see Georgevski at 32. I’ll hold judgement. Same with Majewski over ABJ. Both had buckets of talents in their day, both never reached their potential. Though I’ll admit ABJ has been nothing short of disappointing in his 30’s, where Raddy has at least cobbled together a decent reputation.

Baccus Snr is the only one that frustrates me out of our midfield disappointment. I remember seeing him play for Blacktown against Bentleigh Greens in the FFA cup a few weeks before signing for us and thinking he was playing waaaay below his level. He even turned down South African caps in the real hope of chasing Roos caps 2 seasons ago, and I remember thinking the guy had turned he’d turned a corner from the guy who was booted out of both French football and glory for being too much of a cu/nt. It takes a lot for the French to think you’re an arrogant tw/at... he fits firmly into the ‘wasted gifts’ for me. At least his little brother seems like a well balanced kid

A friend raised a good point during a normal FB chat where we solve all the woes of the HAL in true taxi driver fashion - if Russel starts over Elrich, we will have a completely different starting 11 to 12 months ago (assuming all see out preseason unscathed). That in itself is encouraging.

18 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Yet to see Georgevski at 32. I’ll hold judgement. Same with Majewski over ABJ. Both had buckets of talents in their day, both never reached their potential. Though I’ll admit ABJ has been nothing short of disappointing in his 30’s, where Raddy has at least cobbled together a decent reputation.

Baccus Snr is the only one that frustrates me out of our midfield disappointment. I remember seeing him play for Blacktown against Bentleigh Greens in the FFA cup a few weeks before signing for us and thinking he was playing waaaay below his level. He even turned down South African caps in the real hope of chasing Roos caps 2 seasons ago, and I remember thinking the guy had turned he’d turned a corner from the guy who was booted out of both French football and glory for being too much of a cu/nt. It takes a lot for the French to think you’re an arrogant tw/at... he fits firmly into the ‘wasted gifts’ for me. At least his little brother seems like a well balanced kid

Mini Baccus is a far better player 

2 hours ago, Upthehill said:

French football and glory for being too much of a cu/nt. It takes a lot for the French to think you’re an arrogant tw/at... he fits firmly into the ‘wasted gifts’ for me.

😂😂😂

hands down gold I’m dying cause I know exactly what you mean meeting many an arrogant bread and cheese complaining Frenchie

3 minutes ago, mack said:

Majewski should be able to match Baumjohann's goals + assists in about 6 rounds.

If he was a striker, this would be my measure of him. But but an attacking midfielder has far more responsibilities than balls in the net. Opportunity creation is their key measure, ABJ was high (highest in the league till his injury) on passes into the box but low on assists (read that however you will).

No doubt your AM should be scoring more than treejack but rating them their goals alone is a bit simplistic

13 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Traore (Aussie citizen) and gerbach apparently are available for the LB role

Rather Traore than the red card waiting to happen if we need a left back. Traore won the Melbourne Victory Medal. 

Babbel should have seen him play when Traore was at FC Basel.

45 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Rather Traore than the red card waiting to happen if we need a left back. Traore won the Melbourne Victory Medal. 

Babbel should have seen him play when Traore was at FC Basel.

Babbel in the Swiss at the same time and JP in our ranks, surely could help this move go ahead

I would take Traore over Grubsbach.

I feel the only other club that would try and sign Traore is Glory since they need a replacement for Davidson. Popa would of seen how Traore plays as well while both of them were in Turkey in 2017.

However, I'm sure I read somewhere that Popa could be looking at trying to sign Scott Jamieson as the replacement for Davidson since Galloway will most likely be first choice left back at City now. 

27 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Babbel in the Swiss at the same time and JP in our ranks, surely could help this move go ahead

We still need a winger, a centre forward and a DM. Another CB may be a possibility.

Brattan appears to be the DM.

CF yet to be revealed.

Winger must be dependent on Ziggy's citizenship.

We can still sign an NPL player who has not played in the A-league for 12 months outside the cap.

3 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

We still need a winger, a centre forward and a DM. Another CB may be a possibility.

Brattan appears to be the DM.

CF yet to be revealed.

Winger must be dependent on Ziggy's citizenship.

We can still sign an NPL player who has not played in the A-league for 12 months outside the cap.

If we want to be contenders, we need a LB, unless Georgievski plays there, then we need a RB. Russell aint cut out for it yet (week in week out). 

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic