mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Beer said:

Neville has been released by the Glory. 

I’d take him back in a heartbeat for the right price. Have him and Tate alternate throughout the season. 

Pretty sure he's off to the Roar, they'll be announcing an Australian defender today.

Edited by SteveB

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

9 minutes ago, Beer said:

Neville has been released by the Glory. 

I’d take him back in a heartbeat for the right price. Have him and Tate alternate throughout the season. 

Jesus i hope you're joking.. up there with top 4 worst wanderers players

32 minutes ago, IAmFalzon said:

Jesus i hope you're joking.. up there with top 4 worst wanderers players

I certainly hope that’s a hyperbole. 

Adeleke, Golec, Mullen, Galloway, heck even Risdon wasn’t that great in his time here. 

Other than Jamo or Polenz, I can’t really think of a fullback (left back or right back, for your benefit) that was better value for money than St Neville.

2 minutes ago, Beer said:

Adeleke, Golec, Mullen, Galloway, heck even Risdon wasn’t that great in his time here. 

Other than Jamo or Polenz, I can’t really think of a fullback (left back or right back, for your benefit) that was better value for money than St Neville.

If my target was Row Z every time i wanted a ball crossed into the box, then sure.. scott neville is your man... he had like 1 good game ever 8 games.. made more mistakes than any other player i can think of

1 hour ago, RedBlackOle said:

And can we get a replacement in a different position :ninja:

1 hour ago, Burztur said:

How does the injury replacement rule work? Can we offload an injured player or get a replacement?

Not sure & Yes

You can nominate an injury replacement & pay them up to the salary of the injured player, which may not help us much in this instance if it needs to be a young Gk. 

1 hour ago, SteveB said:

Pretty sure he's off to the Roar, they'll be announcing an Australian defender today.

They signed McGing

1 hour ago, mack said:

He wasn't that bad. He's not even the worst fullback we had (Adeleke).

He doesn't count....Popa collected the wrong dude and the real Adeleke was left sitting on a suitcase at Mascot....only way i can explain how bad he was.

1 hour ago, IAmFalzon said:

If my target was Row Z every time i wanted a ball crossed into the box, then sure.. scott neville is your man... he had like 1 good game ever 8 games.. made more mistakes than any other player i can think of

Can’t deny that he got himself into some great positions in the first place, however. He was very good defensively, the offensive component is secondary. 

Like I said, a tried and tested A-League quality player in a position where we need depth. I would sign him up. 

Neville's best asset was his engine, up and down the line all game a willing runner, his worst trait as been mentioned here was his crossing, I'll try to be kind and say 50/50 at best but a feeling it's lower than that.

I'd take him. Just make a rule that he can't go home from training until he hits ten accurate crosses in a row, Miss one and he starts again. He'll either get good or die of exhaustion and we get an injury replacement player in.

Neville was a great asset. I’d take him back too.

If we want to single players out for poor crossing then you’d be asking two thirds of the league to take a ticket and form an orderly line...

19 hours ago, Davo said:

I’m all about giving youth a chance but that pretty much says the less youth you play the higher up the table you finish.

People love the romance of a youth product coming through the ranks to one day captain their boyhood club but in the same breath want immediate results and big name players. With a salary cap to contend with as well, it’s basically impossible to do both.

1 hour ago, Beer said:

No love for Adam D'Apuzzo?

Get it done MB

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/a-league-trio-on-alert-as-japan-star-okazaki-eyes-australia

Premier League-winning Japan star Shinji Okazaki is looking write the next chapter of his career in the A-League, as he prepares to exit Leicester City after four years at the King Power Stadium BY DAVE LEWIS

Having flirted with Sydney FC a year ago, the livewire attacker’s availability is likely to elicit interest from Melbourne Victory, Western Sydney Wanderers and Western United - all three of whom are on the lookout for x-factor signings.

Having made his 119th appearance for his country on Tuesday against Ecuador at the 2019 Copa America, the impish and electric Okazaki remains a potent presence, even at the age of 33.

The Sky Blues sought to sign him in a dollar-for-dollar deal utilising FFA’s marquee treasure chest - currently believed to stand at around $1.4 million - but the ruling body instead opted to partially fund compatriot Keisuke Honda’s one-season stint at Melbourne Victory.

It’s unclear how deep clubs would need to dig to bring him to the A-League, but it would be significantly less than the estimated $2.9 million lavished on Honda.

A fan favourite at Leicester - where he made 36 appearances during their fairytale title surge in 2015-2016 - Okasaki was a peripheral figure last season with all but one of his 21 appearances coming off the bench.

He has reached a mutual understanding with coach Brendan Rodgers on his release and views the A-League as a viable vehicle leading into the 2022 FIFA World Cup, as he chases down Yasuhito Endo’s record tally of 152 caps.

With his 50 goals for his country the third highest, he is showing few signs of easing up and his representatives are confident he would be a revelation in the A-League.

Boasting a career portfolio which also includes Bundesliga spells at Stuttgart and Mainz, Okazaki also spent six seasons at Shimizu S-Pulse and his fame in his homeland arguably rivals that of Honda, whose Victory spell began brightly but finished limply.

With compatriot Shinji Ono still a revered figure at Wanderers nearly five years after his departure, he might be a good fit for the team’s Bankwest Stadium debut next season.

Coach Markus Babbel has a visa spot available, whilst Victory are looking to fill the void left by Kosta Barbarouses’ departure and Western United are in the hunt for a glamour signing after missing out on former France international Samir Nasri.

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Neville was a great asset. I’d take him back too.

If we want to single players out for poor crossing then you’d be asking two thirds of the league to take a ticket and form an orderly line...

I own Nevilles boot that scored that screamer in the grandfinal in Adelaide. It sits on my tallboy and is proof for all those horrid crosses, he has a peach in him occasionally!!

Is anyone having any problems picking up the live stream of the  FFA  cup draw?

10 minutes ago, papersun said:

Is anyone having any problems picking up the live stream of the  FFA  cup draw?

Yep, nothing

Central Coast have a shot at winning for a change, up against Maitland FC.

So we get Perth away for the FFA Cup....(aside from the Leeds game which will be more of a training run), we will see early on whether the squad changes will make any difference.

17 minutes ago, sonar said:

So we get Perth away for the FFA Cup....(aside from the Leeds game which will be more of a training run), we will see early on whether the squad changes will make any difference.

It all depends what team MB fields and whether or not he cares for nothing games.

12 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/wanderers-not-ready-for-a-player-like-ribery-babbel-20190626-p521kp.html

This is concerning imo. This makes me believe we won't be signing a great marquee signing for this season.

Post article please.

Bossi doesn't deserve extra clicks & it's behind a wall for me

Wanderers 'not ready for a player like Ribery': Babbel

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Markus Babbel says his club is not in a strong enough position to sign a high-profile marquee player, claiming to have turned down the chance to sign French star Franck Ribery during the off-season.

The Wanderers were heavily linked with a move to sign the former Bayern Munich winger in recent months but a move for the 36-year-old broke down due to the player's wage demands as well as protests from Babbel.

The German coach says he withdrew from talks with Ribery because his young squad would not be able to cope with the extra attention they would receive with the arrival of a player of such a high status.

The Wanderers struggled last season with an inexperienced team, finishing in eighth place and missing out on the finals for a second successive season. They are set to enter next season with one of the youngest teams in the competition and while there will be a few more experienced players added before round one, Babbel suggested his team might still not have enough quality to warrant the signing of a player like Ribery.

"I decided that I did not want him because I don’t think we are ready for a player like him. First we need to get success to have this feeling in the club… then maybe we can think about a player like him," Babbel said.

The German coach prefers the Wanderers scrap their search for a high-profile signing, wanted the club to focus their recruitment on a talented player whose arrival wouldn't come with much fanfare.

"I think too many players at the moment are scared if a big player comes in. For a name like this category, at the moment I think we are not ready. This is my feeling, we have many many young players there and if a player like him is coming to us, I think the respect is too high," Babbel said.

While Ribery would have come at a significant cost, Babbel dismissed an earlier report that suggested Lederer was not willing to pay for Ribery, claiming the Wanderers' chairman wanted to recruit a big signing for their return to Parramatta this season.

"Franck is looking for the money. The number is unbelievable," Babbel said. "I was talking to his agent, I know he has an unbelievable offer from Qatar and this is definitely impossible to pay him [that salary] in Australia."

The Wanderers are looking to sign a foreign centre-forward as their marquee player but it won't likely be a household name, but a player whose earnings won't fit into the salary cap.

Meanwhile, Western Sydney goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic faces an extended spell on the sideline, requiring surgery to fix a problematic shoulder. The shot-stopper played through injury all of last season and could be sidelined up until January. Babbel revealed it was this injury, not form that prompted him to sign Swiss goalkeeper Daniel Lopar who will start ahead of Janjetovic.

"He has problems with the shoulder so now he has always got injections but still the pain is there so now we decided to get an operation," Babbel said. "I had to make a decision and for me it was clear, the young ones have big talent but we also need an experienced guy in this group. I had a chat with Daniel Lopar because I know him from my Swiss time and in this time, he was one of the best in the league."

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Post article please.

Bossi doesn't deserve extra clicks & it's behind a wall for me

Taurus....copy the link....go to         www.outline.com       paste the link and press the make outline button and you should be able to read the article.

https://outline.com/RquEMe

Edited by sonar

12 minutes ago, mack said:

Wanderers 'not ready for a player like Ribery': Babbel

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Markus Babbel says his club is not in a strong enough position to sign a high-profile marquee player, claiming to have turned down the chance to sign French star Franck Ribery during the off-season.

The Wanderers were heavily linked with a move to sign the former Bayern Munich winger in recent months but a move for the 36-year-old broke down due to the player's wage demands as well as protests from Babbel.

The German coach says he withdrew from talks with Ribery because his young squad would not be able to cope with the extra attention they would receive with the arrival of a player of such a high status.

The Wanderers struggled last season with an inexperienced team, finishing in eighth place and missing out on the finals for a second successive season. They are set to enter next season with one of the youngest teams in the competition and while there will be a few more experienced players added before round one, Babbel suggested his team might still not have enough quality to warrant the signing of a player like Ribery.

"I decided that I did not want him because I don’t think we are ready for a player like him. First we need to get success to have this feeling in the club… then maybe we can think about a player like him," Babbel said.

The German coach prefers the Wanderers scrap their search for a high-profile signing, wanted the club to focus their recruitment on a talented player whose arrival wouldn't come with much fanfare.

"I think too many players at the moment are scared if a big player comes in. For a name like this category, at the moment I think we are not ready. This is my feeling, we have many many young players there and if a player like him is coming to us, I think the respect is too high," Babbel said.

While Ribery would have come at a significant cost, Babbel dismissed an earlier report that suggested Lederer was not willing to pay for Ribery, claiming the Wanderers' chairman wanted to recruit a big signing for their return to Parramatta this season.

"Franck is looking for the money. The number is unbelievable," Babbel said. "I was talking to his agent, I know he has an unbelievable offer from Qatar and this is definitely impossible to pay him [that salary] in Australia."

The Wanderers are looking to sign a foreign centre-forward as their marquee player but it won't likely be a household name, but a player whose earnings won't fit into the salary cap.

Meanwhile, Western Sydney goalkeeper Vedran Janjetovic faces an extended spell on the sideline, requiring surgery to fix a problematic shoulder. The shot-stopper played through injury all of last season and could be sidelined up until January. Babbel revealed it was this injury, not form that prompted him to sign Swiss goalkeeper Daniel Lopar who will start ahead of Janjetovic.

"He has problems with the shoulder so now he has always got injections but still the pain is there so now we decided to get an operation," Babbel said. "I had to make a decision and for me it was clear, the young ones have big talent but we also need an experienced guy in this group. I had a chat with Daniel Lopar because I know him from my Swiss time and in this time, he was one of the best in the league."

I don't know, could be the truth or possibly smoke and mirrors.