mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, papersun said:

It would be nice if we announced a player of two soon, according to TWG, Ryan McGowan is likely to be announced today as well by SFC.

Well it's par for the course for our close season signings to underwhelm generally. (Season 1 excepted). At least we won't get concerned by a poor performance against non league opposition in the FFA Cup because losing to Perth away is no disgrace and/or surprise. 

BTW Steve Marriott - what a voice :)

Edited by beatsurrender

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Amazing how much he/the club are saying we will regret it. Talking yourself up too much is never a good strategy.

Yes he was a good player but I still don't think he did enough with us. He won't be the dominant player so will have to get used to not getting the ball. 

1 minute ago, WHACKO said:

Marquee striker to be announced at members forum Tuesday 9 July Bankwest Stadium.

Possibly...........

That's a very sneaky "Possibly" you've inserted.

1 minute ago, WHACKO said:

Marquee striker to be announced at members forum Tuesday 9 July Bankwest Stadium.

Possibly...........

i see what you did there

3 minutes ago, WHACKO said:

Possibly...........

Or not.

2 hours ago, papersun said:

It would be nice if we announced a player of two soon, according to TWG, Ryan McGowan is likely to be announced today as well by SFC.

We've basically filled up all our spots, and a lot earlier than we have in previous seasons. Tbh I'm very pleased with where we are at the point, keen to see the quality that Babbel will fill those with.

I agree.  Last season was largely a disaster (certainly finishing 8th) but we were definitely in many of the games and arguably equal or better than opposition for large parts of the game.  Inexperience and an inability to finish out games (and the odd brain explosion...) cost us.  I look back and recognise we drew 2x with Perth and led them (and matched them) in the other game.  We drew with SFC and looked strong against them in the game Snake went berserk and cost us.  With a high proportion of kids and a group of 2nd tier imports, we did very well.  As Babbel said, we didn't have the squad that will win silverware so they all went out the door.  I will be very interested to see what he can do with a more balanced team, with young blokes who have a year more experience and his own selected imports.

Good luck to ABJ.  He is a bit of a wanker and I can't help feeling the Smurf image of Bling FC is more in line with his own self image.  I suspect he felt he was above our team/club and really didn't have the right mentality to represent Westies.  He may shine in Bling FC or he may be proven ordinary in this league.  I felt that last year he needed better players around him to be effective - he isn't a player who has the capacity to lift a team like Castro or Ninkovic, Broich or Berisha.  He needs good players to be good and we just didn't have that.  Roly actually was more effective than ABJ in AM.  He will have fast players running onto the ball this year and that may work - all he has to do is pass it into space and hope they can do the rest.  He may benefit from the Mullet who will do his share of defence and always be around him to get the ball... He will benefit from O'Neill and Brilliante (if still there) pulling off professional fouls and stopping play in the middle - he won't have to defend as much as regular teams who don't get the rub of the ref's whistle.

Still I am happier without him as I don't think we would get anything more with our style and players - we need everyone to work hard and can't afford bludgers.

Smurf FC signed the player who was the single biggest disappointment in a disappointing WSW season. Shortly after ABJ joined he was talking how there was more money to be made in Asia. He made it all the way to the East of Sydney instead of East Asia. 

In one of the last press conferences of S7 MB made a comment about the kind of players wsw would sign: guys who give 100 percent on the pitch, every match day, and fight for the colours. Words to that effect. That's why ABJ is gone. The only surprise was that MB announced in the media before he told the player.

We'll all know soon enough if Corrica appreciates his attitude more than MB did. 

24 minutes ago, FCB said:

Smurf FC signed the player who was the single biggest disappointment in a disappointing WSW season. Shortly after ABJ joined he was talking how there was more money to be made in Asia. He made it all the way to the East of Sydney instead of East Asia. 

In one of the last press conferences of S7 MB made a comment about the kind of players wsw would sign: guys who give 100 percent on the pitch, every match day, and fight for the colours. Words to that effect. That's why ABJ is gone. The only surprise was that MB announced in the media before he told the player.

We'll all know soon enough if Corrica appreciates his attitude more than MB did. 

Baumjohann could score 20 goals & 40 assists in the regular season and win the player of the year award before beating Archie Thompson's 31 goals in a game record in the grand final against Western United and we would still have been right to get rid of him.

1 minute ago, mack said:

Baumjohann could score 20 goals & 40 assists in the regular season and win the player of the year award before beating Archie Thompson's 31 goals in a game record in the grand final against Western United and we would still have been right to get rid of him.

This ^^^^

No west in this dog.

Yet Bulut had all the West and still no contract.

OK but seriously but I'm not angry, smurfs can have him. 

We're a bigger club than them and always will be, Victory started the same time and are double their size, they've failed to make an impact in a city of 5 million people.

When you think how successful they have been in the last few seasons you would expect SFC to be filled to the brim every game - I would be extremely disappointed with their supporter base.  If they start losing again, which will happen at some time, look at the crowds dwindle to nothing!  We managed to keep 7,000 fans despite Soulless/ANZ, the police and seccos, poor seasons, a coach that disappeared on season eve, a coach who was a pretender and playing with half the youth team. What excuse have SFC got?  They have been playing at much better local grounds since moving from Moore Pk whilst we endured the very worst grounds possible!

I hope our crowds grow this year and don't make a fool of my comments!!

14 minutes ago, Keithie said:

Bart Schenkeveld to SFC ?

Actually that wouldn't surprise me.  They have marquee places left.  They seem to have the front 3rd okay and need strengthening along the back - they were more fragile last year.  He would be a very good pick up for them as Wilkinson is not getting any younger - wasn't quite as effective last year as in previous seasons. Hope they don't but wouldn't surprise me.

So we have 10 senior players gone from last season's squad (4 visa players) and 2 u21 players in Tokich and Roberts (back at My Druitt).

So far we have signed 4 senior players (2 visa) and one u21 player in Monge.

I think we have a lot of squad places if we can fill them.

“He has a three-year contract with the Wanderers and will almost certainly be considered as a local player before the start of next season, freeing up a place on their roster to bring in another foreign player.”

SMH article posted back in January about Ziegler. Might have 2 foreign spots before the season kicks off

22 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

So we have 10 senior players gone from last season's squad (3 visa players) and 2 u21 players in Tokich and Roberts (back at My Druitt).

Fixed

9 hours ago, Paul01 said:

So we have 10 senior players gone from last season's squad (4 visa players) and 2 u21 players in Tokich and Roberts (back at My Druitt).

14 gone all up (12+2). The squad will be leaner than in previous seasons. Less quantity, more quality. The youth players will be given the opportunity to step up, and that's what is expected from them.

We currently have 12 players on the payroll who are older than 23, three of them being goal keepers. We need at least a couple more of those to Arnie-proof the squad for the U23 tournament in January.

The Ziegler passport situation is key. Once that is sorted the club could sign a sixth import. If that happens then it will make a difference.

31 minutes ago, FCB said:

14 gone all up (12+2). The squad will be leaner than in previous seasons. Less quantity, more quality. The youth players will be given the opportunity to step up, and that's what is expected from them.

We currently have 12 players on the payroll who are older than 23, three of them being goal keepers. We need at least a couple more of those to Arnie-proof the squad for the U23 tournament in January.

The Ziegler passport situation is key. Once that is sorted the club could sign a sixth import. If that happens then it will make a difference.

Yep. So we should get a Visa striker and hopefully winger

Dutton is holding it up on a general go-slow on processing applications. Didn't happen with Martin Boyle did it?

Get Nikou to lobby

18 hours ago, mack said:

When he arrived the coaching staff were enthusiastic & suggested he had the tekkers to win a JW medal.

It didn't take long for them to come around to my way of thinking, that he was a showpony. 

17 hours ago, Keithie said:

Bart Schenkeveld to SFC ?

City offered him 700k a season & that wasn't enough. 

Defenders need to be solid, but marquee wages, no thanks

8 minutes ago, Taurus said:

When he arrived the coaching staff were enthusiastic & suggested he had the tekkers to win a JW medal.

It didn't take long for them to come around to my way of thinking, that he was a showpony. 

hes an insta model wife merchant. 

2 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Raddy will fly out of Warsaw on Saturday, so he'll arrive down under for pre-season training early next week

When does our new CF fly out?