mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

Won't make me conflicted about Brattan...but that's already making me conflicted about our club.

From my current point of fairly solid apathy and disappointment as it stands now, it seems like  we're going to be third rate compared to them.

Babbel had better be this miracle worker that I doubt he is...or else we'll be eating their dust yet again this season.

:angry::angry:

:cry:

I haven't drunk the Babbel kool-aid and was critical of some of his tactics last season but a lot of the reasons for poor performances over the past 3 seasons have been shown the door by him. I'm of the view that it is better to wait and see performances on the field first before criticising our recruitment or where we might end up. He wants the players to fight for positions in the squad and fight for the club on the pitch and you can't ask for more than that. 

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Won't make me conflicted about Brattan...but that's already making me conflicted about our club.

From my current point of fairly solid apathy and disappointment as it stands now, it seems like  we're going to be third rate compared to them.

Babbel had better be this miracle worker that I doubt he is...or else we'll be eating their dust yet again this season.

What if we weren't really going hard for Brattan and he was just our backup option? We could use cover for both defence and midfield TBH, and there's one Aussie free agent who fits the bill perfectly.

Also has the required "Mentality" that MB wants.....

3 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

I wonder if Brattan will stomp on ABJ just out of habit?

From my ignorant (compared to you guys) point of view, he was an exciting and skilful when he was young... but hotheaded, and a bit too rough. But he matured and seemed to tone down the impulsiveness.

I would have been so excited to see him play for us. :(

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Let’s see where we land on the recruitment, our signings so far have been good.

Babbel cut ABJ as he didn’t think he was what we needed and has brought in Raddy, Smurf’s picking up ABJ doesn’t make him any better player 

We now have a strong spine to the team 

I’m not bummed about Bratten it might have held up Baccus development, who will be a better player anyway

I suspect the $ he wanted exceeded what Babbel thought he was worth 

that said if we once again don’t use both marquee spots then we can’t complain 

Edited by StringerBellend

10 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

I like the look of the ones we've recruited so far. A sharp 9, Aussie pat fit, and one more miserly CB and we're looking far better on paper than the last couple of years.

Hope you're right...but  but compared to SFC?? 

^_^^_^

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

that said if we once again don’t use both marquee spots then we can’t complain 

This.

We need to make a statement this season. We need to fill this new stadium to the brim and the only way we will do that is if we go big initially.

We can't afford to wait to see good results on the pitch as it will take half a season before the fair weather fans start flocking back....

Err.... yes we can! :angry:

But I know what you meant. ;)

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Err.... yes we can! :angry:

But I know what you meant. ;)

Haha, glad you know what I meant :)

I'm all for a slow start like in season 1 if it leads to another Premiers Plate! Would just hate to see a 1/3 full Bankwest in the early stages of the season

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

^_^^_^

I’m a bit bipolar on this one, alternating between being positive and doom and gloom

My balanced view is, they are about the same as last year, maybe a little stronger. but basically it’s like for like changes.

We competed with them last year and our squad was a shambles. We are far stronger this year every change is a big step up, we haven’t lost anyone we wanted to keep and we have gained players with experience in top leagues 

The striker is key, we could do with another attacking option

mile would be good as it boosts both DM and CB 

after that it’s about how we play it ain’t all FIFA rankings 

Marcus Berg: A turkish team cant afford him (1.7m euros?) So i guess we are out of that one.

If Abel Hernandez was offered to us, I would be onto that one.

All seems quiet on the Campbell front, Hull fans wanted to keep him, sounds like his wage was too much for them as they released their GK who was one of their better players supposedly.

Brattan: Mongrel and experience in the mids. Something we needed last year. He will only flourish at ESFC. Missed opportunity possibly.

Trasch? Mentioned the Aleague seemed interesting. Solid CDM with Bundesliga experience (about 200 games).

Who will we end up with is the question?

6 hours ago, SteveB said:

This.

We need to make a statement this season. We need to fill this new stadium to the brim and the only way we will do that is if we go big initially.

We can't afford to wait to see good results on the pitch as it will take half a season before the fair weather fans start flocking back....

It's not only the fair weather fans that need to flock back I'm afraid.

Plenty of absolute diehards feel betrayed and, I think, actually feel cheated that the devotion and passion they felt for the club  has been disrespected.

Look around here...and they're gone.

Without a competitive team this year, it will be devastating to what's still remaining of the supporter base.

It's been said before, but our early success has set up expectations that have been completely overturned over the past few years.

And more of the same...with a second rate team will be hard to come back from.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Plenty of absolute diehards feel betrayed and I think cheated that the devotion and passion they felt for the club  has been disrespected.

Look around here...and they're gone..............

SOP and issues with security/policing have had a lot to do with falling numbers. When you add the clubs poor recruiting and mediocre performances it certainly has added to it. This is an unpopular opinion perhaps but the true diehards have remained "true" to the club regardless of results and venue. The debate here has certainly been robust at times but it's because we all support the club and want success. If we get back to the fighting spirit shown in the first few seasons the fans will come back.

Having said that the club has to start beating the likes of the Victory and $murfs consistantly on the field.Putting on a spiritrd performance and losing won't cut it.  We have to start beating the top sides not copping 3 or 4 goal defeats.

Edited by sonar

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, sonar said:

SOP and issues with security/policing have had a lot to do with falling numbers. When you add the clubs poor recruiting and mediocre performances it certainly has added to it. This is an unpopular opinion perhaps but the true diehards have remained "true" to the club regardless of results and venue. The debate here has certainly been robust at times but it's because we all support the club and want success. If we get back to the fighting spirit shown in the first few seasons the fans will come back.

Having said that the club has to start beating the likes of the Victory and $murfs consistantly on the field.Putting on a spiritrd performance and losing won't cut it.  We have to start beating the top sides not copping 3 or 4 goal defeats.

We have to use those marquee spots. Both of them. They are key if we want to actually compete for the title. Yes our squad (and first team) looks better than last year already but we were so far behind the top teams last season it wasn't funny. The game at Perth when we led was an example, where we all just knew that Perth would score virtually at will. This season will make or break Babbel. It is the visa players who are the difference makers between competing and making up the numbers. As usual the Smurfs are on the front foot and getting their squad bedded in well before the first pre-season games. The fact we are (hopefully) still look looking is a worrying sign.

Edited by beatsurrender

Part of the trouble with catching up with other clubs is that we fell so far behind, then when we do "catch up" it's only to what they were and then we find out over the next season they've improved further and we're still behind.

While we didn't ever catch up over the past few seasons, any improvements we made were matched or bettered by other clubs.

Unlike earlier a league seasons, the strong clubs have now worked out how to stay strong instead of going through a weaker cycle like they did before.

The supposed levelling effect of the salary cap has waned.

2 hours ago, LeeMarvin said:

Not if he dives and rolls around on the ground to milk penalties like Fallaroli.  To my mind that would not be consistent with the character of our club.  Realistically though, is he affordable?

Surprisingly so.

Don't forget about Macarthur coming in in 20/21 so another mediocre season would just increase the amount of people contemplating switching over. I would go as far to say more than any other season including the first they get the recruitment right this season. 

Posted (edited)
On 07/07/2019 at 10:45 AM, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Go to the Bay 49 Wanderers twitter (Can't link it cause i'm in China). They have said that we will be announcing a "few" decent signings this week. I was told that we were making a move for Jedi about a month ago. 3 people actually messaged me saying we might have signed Bobo (don't believe this is true and would't be happy with this signing tbh).

Bay49 have as much credibility as me saying we're signing Montolivo, Marchisio and Schweinsteiger

re: Brattan. I think he fits the SFC mould perfectly as I was never a fan of his.

nekminnit we snipe the bid and sign him

Edited by Erebus

1 hour ago, Zakman said:

Don't forget about Macarthur coming in in 20/21 so another mediocre season would just increase the amount of people contemplating switching over.

If people want to switch over then let them.

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

The other issue is cap space, it’s like they are wearing a sombrero & we are wearing a bucket hat. These loyalty bonuses mean that they effectively have another AM situation all over again. We can’t compete with that. Don’t forget ninko is under the cap as an Aussie, probably front loaded too so on the bare minimum

5 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

If people want to switch over then let them.

Unfortunately, if you want the club to successful in the future we can't just "let them".  You forget our club is not one that has many years of tradition with support being passed down from generation to generation like the EPL. Whether we like it or not we need the flogs, Eurosnobs, fair weather supporters to sustain the club because 7000 or so die hards will not. That is the state of our game currently and maybe some years in the future we can have the attitude of "we don't need them". That's reality!

10 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

I wonder if the club monitor this forum? If so....

GET THE BLOODY CHEQUE BOOK OUT..!!

Not sure about the club but definitely some out there monitoring it.

Nek minnit - @RichardHSport "Wanderers to get the cheque book out this season"

;) 

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

^_^^_^

What about them?

They replaced Brosque with Kosta, de Jong with ABJ, van der Linden with McGowan, Brilliante with Brattan. For the bench they have Warland, Caceres, Retre, Buhagiar. They will need a quality import to be considered stronger than last season, on paper anyway. I am not exactly shivering in my boots. They will have a problem if they lose O'Neill and/or Redmayne in this transfer window.

We've had problems with imports. Pio, Jumpei, Pinatares, Borda, Dimas in his second year, Cejudo, Llorente - get those right and we would have had a different experience in the long four last seasons. Also, we haven't seen a real No 1 GK since Covic. It cost us big time in S5, and the whole season in 18/19.

This time around we already have four quality imports. Duke, Dylan Mc, Elrich, Georgievski represented Australia and Macedonia at senior level. We have several current and previous U23 internationals in the squad. I'd say we've just about closed the quality gap to Smurf FC, and we definitely have more depth.

On top of that we are going back to Parra, and we might even see Grozos being let lose. Happy days.

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I’m a bit bipolar on this one, alternating between being positive and doom and gloom

My balanced view is, they are about the same as last year, maybe a little stronger. but basically it’s like for like changes.

We competed with them last year and our squad was a shambles. We are far stronger this year every change is a big step up, we haven’t lost anyone we wanted to keep and we have gained players with experience in top leagues 

The striker is key, we could do with another attacking option

mile would be good as it boosts both DM and CB 

after that it’s about how we play it ain’t all FIFA rankings 

Supporting Everton for a life time, and spending much of it in the frosty shade of LFC does this kind of stuff to you.

We need at least three more players who are older than 23, ten is not enough: a CF, a winger, and someone who can play DM or CB. No doubt the decision makers have thought this through. Let's see what the week brings.

There are better players out in the market , so why would you waste money on average players when the club chairman wants his club back at the top ,the great players are needed in our club now , the smurfs have never been out of the group stages of the acl and only won the grandfinal on a penalty kick ,hardly any thing to brag about, times are a changing ,focus on our club and stay strong and together and start believing because we have turned the corner ,marcus played at the top while captain smurf did the dishes 

1 hour ago, Zakman said:

Unfortunately, if you want the club to successful in the future we can't just "let them".

I’m not telling the club not to spend the cap or buy marquees or telling the squad to put another pathetic effort out on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Zakman said:

Whether we like it or not we need the flogs, Eurosnobs, fair weather supporters to sustain the club because 7000 or so die hards will not. 

If we have another season like the last 3 then I don’t have any issue with fans not wanting to renew memberships. However if you really felt something for the club or felt you were really apart of it, then you wouldn’t want to support SWS. If having an average season is the deciding factor for supporting SWS then by all means support them.

Just like many on here didn’t feel it for FC so supported WSW instead, it’s the same situation. If people feel like SWS better represents them, then what’s the issue?

Re: blow ins & eurosnobs, it’s what we create in the stands that really separate us from other sports & overseas football clubs. We can still have that whether the results are there or not but we need a change from the hostile conditions we faced at SOP. That will be half the battle to get things back to where we were back at old parra.

6 minutes ago, FCB said:

What about them?

They’ll have 2 marquee spots to fill, how we fill both fill those spots will be telling. I think it’s just how much extra space they have under there sombrero that makes things look bleak.

I just keep thinking back to that first year. Remember the crowds started coming when we went on that winning run. I've said it before, it was the 6-1 victory over Adelaide that you can pinpoint as the start of the success off the field as well as on. 

I guess it's the chicken and the egg thing. In our current football environment does great support create a great team or does a great team create great support?

Posted (edited)

I wonder if the comments about Ribery being 'too imposing' for the current squad are just Babbel's politi-speak for the fact Mr.PL wasn't prepared to pay that sort of dough?  Ultimately of course that's upto him.  I bet it went something like,

JT - "Franck wants 1 million",

PL "Hmmmm, that's quite a lot but OK let's see",

JT "Er Paul, that's monthly",

PL -  Splutters on his Primo pastrami.

Edited by beatsurrender

We have a great new ground which holds 30,000 real supporters,      while smurfs have a Texas dust bowl  hardly a selling point to new supporters or a overseas players,We have turned the corner ,time to unite as one and get your  friends along to support the Western Sydney Wanderers , You are the one that can make a difference,  get your gear on and bring the family , There comes a time , warm to the challenge , sad days are gone

33 minutes ago, Zakman said:

I just keep thinking back to that first year. Remember the crowds started coming when we went on that winning run. I've said it before, it was the 6-1 victory over Adelaide that you can pinpoint as the start of the success off the field as well as on. 

I guess it's the chicken and the egg thing. In our current football environment does great support create a great team or does a great team create great support?

The away derby the week before really kicked it off tbf. WSW announced themselves on the pitch, RBB announced themselves completely, off it.