mack

Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

15 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Smurfs came for him & he rejected them. Then the Jets came seeking his gain his attention, but they were shown the exit & finally CCM came knocking on his door, only to be dismissed out of hand. 

Lad has done the hard yards in NPL2 & at AL training awaiting the moment his club we're as committed to the project as he was. 

Arthur Diles & his team of academy coaches have done an outstanding job harnessing & putting the polish on this raw talent

Does this mean we're no longer getting a marquee striker? 

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

For me, these announcements by the club that about youth players being promoted are starting to get annoying. It just looks like they are compensating for not having decent player announcements. Woohoo for the young fellas and all that but I can't understand why these warrants media releases. If anything it just makes the club themselves look more "Wall of Gaylord" if you get the Meet the Fockers reference.

The big media release should come 2 years after they have been promoted and they have been killing it on the field and the club have managed to re-sign them for another two years instead of losing them to overseas. My point is save the media releases for proper signings.

I am not interested in being part of a young players rise to eventual stardom - I want to know that the 11 players on the pitch are the best the club could get with the purpose of winning the title - not to be part of their development!

To be honest, if the both the off season wasn’t so long and the profile of the HAL was bigger I doubt they would make big deals out of youth signings. I think it’s mostly just to keep people engaged 

I understand the sentiment but wait to see how we perform first before saying the signing of the youth is a mistake. Personally I don't think Babbel is the messiah as far as managers go tactically ( it's the players on the field that do the work and carry out the game plan ) but he will most probably end up being one the best coaches we will have in terms of team and player mentality and preparation. Only a fool would say he has not done a decent job so far. Last season he inherited a dis-organised mob from the previous two managers. We can all see the improvement. He has gotten rid of those who were not skillful enough and the players he has bought in....put in. 

14 minutes ago, Zakman said:

The big media release should come 2 years after they have been promoted and they have been killing it on the field and the club have managed to re-sign them for another two years instead of losing them to overseas. My point is save the media releases for proper signings.

I am not interested in being part of a young players rise to eventual stardom - I want to know that the 11 players on the pitch are the best the club could get with the purpose of winning the title - not to be part of their development!

I disagree with the sentiment that the only media releases are 'big names' who will win us the title.  The young blokes coming through are important names - yes it is part of the future where they will ultimately prove themselves.  They are part of the team now!  Mo Adam played very well and had a significant role in winning the game the other night.  The fact that we have so many coming through is both fascinating and quite remarkable - it also dilutes the reality that we have some very good young players who will make a different on the pitch this year.

This is a great credit to the staff of the Academy and the coaching staff at various levels, including Babbel..  I think it is newsworthy that this club is producing quality youth who are now ready to come into A League consideration at such a young age.  I think it is a different newsworthy release to advertise a big name signing.  Yes, they are different but actually this news of the young players stepping up is the really amazing thing because it isn't happening elsewhere.  These are the players who will help us win because they are replacing A League journeymen and that is a radical change for us and the league. 

I guess  I am looking for a direct correlation between having a whiz bang Academy and promoting youth and it leading to results on the field. I don't want to, on the way home from a loss, talk about how the young guys tried their best but outplayed by classier opposition. I will not be consoled by "WSW is playing a critical role in their development and should be proud" - this is great for them and their families but how will this benefit the fans in the terraces - that's the clarification I am looking for.

You look at most of the clubs in Europe, if an academy player is signed to professional contract, they will do a communication about it.

It's really just about keeping the fans informed.

That's all WSW did, not a big hoo hah about signing an excellent prospect to a longer term deal.

9 minutes ago, wswnick said:

Yeah, I've got no issues with the announcements of scholarship signings. I just wanted our new #9 to be announced! 

Doubt they would have announced 2 or 3 days after saying theyre discussing wages.

11 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Doubt they would have announced 2 or 3 days after saying theyre discussing wages.

So the club have found their man and are currently in negotiations? 

Why wouldn't the club send out a tweet when we sign a player to our first team squad?

Also I like how the club is old enough now that players who supported us as young kids are starting to get signed to the first team. The whole "player signs for boyhood club" thing is a bit of a cliche but if anyone in the A-League can make a habit of it it'll be WSW.

21 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

It's been 5 days since that interview was published and we have no clue how far progressed they already were

48 minutes ago, Matto97 said:

So the club have found their man and are currently in negotiations? 

Read previous pages

38 minutes ago, wswnick said:

It's been 5 days since that interview was published and we have no clue how far progressed they already were

Fair enough

1 hour ago, Zakman said:

I guess  I am looking for a direct correlation between having a whiz bang Academy and promoting youth and it leading to results on the field. I don't want to, on the way home from a loss, talk about how the young guys tried their best but outplayed by classier opposition. I will not be consoled by "WSW is playing a critical role in their development and should be proud" - this is great for them and their families but how will this benefit the fans in the terraces - that's the clarification I am looking for.

Personally I think developing youth and being able to sign then on Scholarship contracts is crucial in a salary capped league. Instead of wasting money on relatively expensive journeyman or cheap, useless squaddies, we are able to produce young players who are;

Fighting to establish a career so are driven to perform

Already fit into the club and the club knows full well what they are getting

Their salary doesn't take up much cap space due to concessions

Potential for the club to pick up transfer fees if they develop into players that spark interest from overseas

How is any of this a negative over signing an Aleague journeyman that has never been good enough to pick up interest anywhere outside of the Aleague, has played for 7 clubs, has zero loyalty and is out there to jog around and pick up a bigger salary than a youth scholarship player. I honestly think the key to success in a salary capped league is producing good quality youth on Scholarship contracts. No other team in the league is doing it and by the time they catch on and start, we will be 10 years further established with our academy and will be streets ahead.

We have another nine weeks of pre season ahead of us. Pre-season in the European leagues means seven weeks. That's the time real football pros need to come up to speed, and regain fitness. So, no rush.

The speculation around Ziegler's recovery borders on hysteria. He'll be fine.

Have to admit that you guys have put me on the road to seeing youth promotion in a more positive light. I guess the team's performance this season will be the final determinant! 

On ‎8‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:34 AM, FCB said:

I looked into my crystal ball, and this is what I saw:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/kyle-lafferty/profil/spieler/36884

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=GB2&seit=2019&yt0=Show

https://www.transfermarkt.com/spieler/vertragslosespieler/statistik/1/plus//galerie/0?ausrichtung=Sturm&spielerposition_id=alle&land_id=alle&altersklasse=&wettbewerb_id=GB3&seit=2019&yt0=Show

Disclaimer: my crystal ball has been known to work as well as the pre-election news polls. But I do have reason to believe that our man in on those lists. Now let's see if I am going to make it into one of Bossi's high quality and well researched write ups...

20 hours ago, FCB said:

Once you are talking Campbell level, only Hooper or Lafferty make sense. Unless there is someone who is wiggling himself out of an existing contract, it has to be either of them, or it's going to be somewhat disappointing. I've had a gut full of rough diamonds at WSW who ended up shining like char coal.

Apparently something is going to be announced tomorrow, so let's see.

martinique+flag+picture.pngA late nomination for the position. This guy it not English but played in England (for my team).

Au Revoir

martinique+flag+picture.png

Congrats to Mo Adam. I'm happy and satisfied that he is on the senior squad. I would still use him as a super sub for the upcoming season. Not only can he come on as a striker but it seems he could play on the wing if needed. 

Taurus are you able to throw some light on Kosta's Perth injury, is it a 2 to 3 game knock or more serious than that?